PDA

View Full Version : Bus Rides

hebmskebm
November 25th, 2013, 01:00 AM
6 out of the 8 first round and 9 of the possible 16 second round matchups are bus games where the NCAA won't have to spring for a plane ride. Almost all of the plane games involve Big Sky teams either traveling or being travelled to, where flying can't be avoided.

centennial
November 25th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Start a NCAA fund, 1k per game in extra surcharge. 120 schools X 11 games X 1 =1320k about 1.3 million which should be more than enough to cover these costs.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2013, 02:33 AM
1.3 mil is peanuts to the NCAA.

centennial
November 25th, 2013, 02:36 AM
1.3 mil is peanuts to the NCAA.
Gets you about 15 trips with planes. Even at 2k a game, its 20k for having a fcs team. Gets you more than enough money not to have to resort to regionalism shenanigans.

Fordham2012
November 25th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I think shorter distances also encourage visiting team fans to attend.

FormerPokeCenter
November 25th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Which, in turn, generates more money ;)

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Will the NCAA spring for Sacred Heart's Metro North tickets?

IBleedYellow
November 25th, 2013, 08:38 AM
You do realize NDSU and Montana will fit the bill for the playoffs this year just from their ticket sales alone in the first two rounds, right? Any round after the fact and NDSU is just pumping money into their system.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
IMVHO, that "bus ride rule" was taking to its logical extreme this playoff bracket, and has resulted in making 1) a much less interesting bracket, 2) perhaps drove some team selection decisions, and 3) robbed the FCS of some much better potential regional FCS matchups like Samford/Jax State winner vs. Southeastern Louisiana, which could not have been a more natural matchup.

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM
IMVHO, that "bus ride rule" was taking to its logical extreme this playoff bracket, and has resulted in making 1) a much less interesting bracket, 2) perhaps drove some team selection decisions, and 3) robbed the FCS of some much better potential regional FCS matchups like Samford/Jax State winner vs. Southeastern Louisiana, which could not have been a more natural matchup.

Also, the Committee should know by now that the Pards have Sugar Daddies that'll fly the team practically anywhere. We flew to W&M, Richmond, App State and Liberty, for chrissakes. My guess is we'll probably fly to UNH this week even if the NCAA springs for the First Happy Lucky Dragon bus. They shoulda sent us out west to get obliterated rather than up to Durham where we won't even be a novelty. We'd have paid for it anyhow.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Also, the Committee should know by now that the Pards have Sugar Daddies that'll fly the team practically anywhere. We flew to W&M, Richmond, App State and Liberty, for chrissakes. My guess is we'll probably fly to UNH this week even if the NCAA springs for the First Happy Lucky Dragon bus. They shoulda sent us out west to get obliterated rather than up to Durham where we won't even be a novelty. We'd have paid for it anyhow.

This leads to a really good question. Obviously you guys are thrilled to be playing anywhere. But if you had the choice of playing at New Hampshire or flying to Montana or flying to Sam Houston, which would you take, especially considering you guys are flying anyway? It seemed like the players would have taken Sam Houston.

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Damn, does Jack have any extra seats on that plane? I have to squeeze into a fricking USAir RJer!!

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
This leads to a really good question. Obviously you guys are thrilled to be playing anywhere. But if you had the choice of playing at New Hampshire or flying to Montana or flying to Sam Houston, which would you take, especially considering you guys are flying anyway? It seemed like the players would have taken Sam Houston.

Montana would have been nice since I was never there. One predicament this weekend in particular LFN is the returns are choked on the Sunday. Im NOT retired and have to be back at work on Monday! So flying anywhere this weekend is problematic!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 25th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I've had to make last minute plans to travel this weekend for playoff games in the past and surprisingly getting a flight on Friday wasn't difficult. Thankfully, I had the luxury of returning on Monday; otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to book the return flight!!

Just checked Mapquest and the recommended route between Easton and Durham is 357 miles and only 340 on a shorter route. Good luck negotiating with the NCAA because this is obviously viewed as a bus game. If you do charter, there is an airport less than 10 miles from UNH that can be utilized. I think I'd rather drive 600 miles down South or out in the Midwest rather than drive the 357 miles from Easton to Durham!!!! xnodx xlolx

MSUBobcat
November 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Start a NCAA fund, 1k per game in extra surcharge. 120 schools X 11 games X 1 =1320k about 1.3 million which should be more than enough to cover these costs.

In your hypothetical, do both the home and away teams pay the per game "surcharge"?? If not, cut that about in half, which nets the NC$$ much less than the 1st round home team bids. I don't think this idea would do anything to sway them from the "bus trip rule".

centennial
November 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM
In your hypothetical, do both the home and away teams pay the per game "surcharge"?? If not, cut that about in half, which nets the NC$$ much less than the 1st round home team bids. I don't think this idea would do anything to sway them from the "bus trip rule".
Everyone pays it. However, we are talking about NCAA. Nothing logical ever comes out from that black hole.

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM

UNH will play a style with which we're familiar. I suppose that's a positive. But I also would have liked to play against some of the "famous" FCS teams in the south and west. I really liked playing against App State and NDSU. We don't get too many chances to do that.

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM
UNH will play a style with which we're familiar. I suppose that's a positive. But I also would have liked to play against some of the "famous" FCS teams in the south and west. I really liked playing against App State and NDSU. We don't get too many chances to do that.

Yes and I'm hoping to do NDSU again in the near future. Apparently App State isn't a possibility and I missed that game in 2005!