PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Playoff Field is a Good Thing

kalm
November 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I've read the contrary on numerous boards, but here's why I like it.

1) I like football. The more football, the better - especially if it involves my EWU Eagles. There will be years where we are not as good or are bitten by the injury bug (like the 2011 EWU or this year's UNI), and an expanded field size provides more opportunity to extend the season. In the case of this year's UNI who seems to have recovered a bit, this might create the opportunity for a low seed to sneak in and do some damage, creating intrigue…which I also like.

2) Sample size. Conference strength is always a popular topic and one of the main beefs is that there isn't a great enough sample size to say for sure. Plus the opportunity for teams from different conferences to meet up despite regionalization is increased. EG: Montana will face either a MEAC or Big South in the 2nd round which, if it's ever happened before, would be a rarity.

3) Bye weeks: Rewarding quality teams with a bye gives injured players a chance to heal a bit, and makes the teams closer to full strength - especially in the quarters and semi's. This makes for better football.

Discuss...

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I've read the contrary on numerous boards, but here's why I like it.

1) I like football. The more football, the better - especially if it involves my EWU Eagles. There will be years where we are not as good or are bitten by the injury bug (like the 2011 EWU or this year's UNI), and an expanded field size provides more opportunity to extend the season. In the case of this year's UNI who seems to have recovered a bit, this might create the opportunity for a low seed to sneak in and do some damage, creating intrigue…which I also like.

2) Sample size. Conference strength is always a popular topic and one of the main beefs is that there isn't a great enough sample size to say for sure. Plus the opportunity for teams from different conferences to meet up despite regionalization is increased. EG: Montana will face either a MEAC or Big South in the 2nd round which, if it's ever happened before, would be a rarity.

3) Bye weeks: Rewarding quality teams with a bye gives injured players a chance to heal a bit, and makes the teams closer to full strength - especially in the quarters and semi's. This makes for better football.

Discuss...

Montana faced Liberty last season, but I believe that was the first time it had ever happened in the young 11-year span of the Big South's existence. I don't believe they've ever played a current member of the MEAC.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 24th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I think it's a good thing too. Also, for as much as people were whining about the playoffs being watered down, that doesn't seem to have happened. The only questionable teams in are autibids, and that's just what we have to accept to make this a fair and legitimate championship - every conference should get a shot.

The committee overall seems to have done a good job this year. I think YSU being left out is the only glaring omission, and SHSU and SUU the only marginal at large bids.