PDA

View Full Version : What incentive is there to play in a tough league?

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Seriously...

The CAA and Big Sky will always get at least 3 no matter how good or dog **** they may be....it's a lock every year. Put at least 7 bids per year aside for them.

The MVFC is a top 2 or 3 conference (#1 in pretty much every poll but whatever I don't want to turn this into that pissing match so I'll leave it at 2 or 3.

The MVFC gets 2 teams in...

What incentive is there for any of the MVFC schools to stay there instead of finding some dog **** league to dominate? The OVC, who hasn't won a ****ing game in the playoffs since 1997 consistently gets as many/more teams than the MVFC. The MEAC gets 2 or 3 almost every ****ing season, SHSU won 6 ****ING D1 games and beat 1 team with a winning record, SUU BEAT ONE ****ING TEAM WITH A WINNING RECORD THIS YEAR (MONTANA STATE WHO DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS).

What incentive is there for YSU to get penalized for not beating SDSU and NDSU...or UNI (who out of the 16 playoff appearances has gotten in as an at large just ****ing once and we shared the title that year...or Southern Illinois to stay in a conference that clearly has no respect from anyone on the committee?

Why not try to get in the OVC, Big South, Southland, or some other conference and know that you have a better chance to dominate those ****s/get an at large finishing 3rd than you do in the MVFC.

This isn't just about UNI...this is about the entire MVFC. What a complete ****ing joke.

FargoBison
November 24th, 2013, 01:26 PM
The MVFC may as well just add a few cupcakes...just do what the Big Sky did.

dbackjon
November 24th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Well, UNI ****ting the bed killed the MVFC Win at least lone of those first five games you are in

WIU and both ISU's were cream puffs

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Seriously...

The CAA and Big Sky will always get at least 3 no matter how good or dog **** they may be....it's a lock every year. Put at least 7 bids per year aside for them.

The MVFC is a top 2 or 3 conference (#1 in pretty much every poll but whatever I don't want to turn this into that pissing match so I'll leave it at 2 or 3.

The MVFC gets 2 teams in...

What incentive is there for any of the MVFC schools to stay there instead of finding some dog **** league to dominate? The OVC, who hasn't won a ****ing game in the playoffs since 1997 consistently gets as many/more teams than the MVFC. The MEAC gets 2 or 3 almost every ****ing season, SHSU won 6 ****ING D1 games and beat 1 team with a winning record, SUU BEAT ONE ****ING TEAM WITH A WINNING RECORD THIS YEAR (MONTANA STATE WHO DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS).

What incentive is there for YSU to get penalized for not beating SDSU and NDSU...or UNI (who out of the 16 playoff appearances has gotten in as an at large just ****ing once and we shared the title that year...or Southern Illinois to stay in a conference that clearly has no respect from anyone on the committee?

Why not try to get in the OVC, Big South, Southland, or some other conference and know that you have a better chance to dominate those ****s/get an at large finishing 3rd than you do in the MVFC.

This isn't just about UNI...this is about the entire MVFC. What a complete ****ing joke.

EIU clearly made the right move.

birdsflyhigh
November 24th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Love how a Big Sky fan comes onto to badmouth the MVFC when Montana (a team that got a seed) went to a middling Valley school and got LUCKY to get run back TD in the final minute of the game at South Dakota. Oh yeah, that's the same SD team that the crappy ISU-R team beat by a couple TDs.

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Its not that there isn't any use. The playoff committee system needs an overhaul. Seems like they act like politicians instead of giving deserving teams a chance. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen so I kind of agree with you.

Professor Chaos
November 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Its not that there isn't any use. The playoff committee system needs an overhaul. Seems like they act like politicians instead of giving deserving teams a chance. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen so I kind of agree with you.
The sad thing it happens this way in the small potatoes world of FCS football. Everybody pines for playoffs and expanded playoffs in the FBS but the politicizing of that selection process will be 10 times worse.

Silenoz
November 24th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Love how a Big Sky fan comes onto to badmouth the MVFC when Montana (a team that got a seed) went to a middling Valley school and got LUCKY to get run back TD in the final minute of the game at South Dakota. Oh yeah, that's the same SD team that the crappy ISU-R team beat by a couple TDs.

Yeah, and a playoff MVFC squad barely escaped Grand Forks with a win over a terrible UND team. See, works both ways

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Well, UNI ****ting the bed killed the MVFC Win at least lone of those first five games you are in

And UNI didn't play Indiana State..

UNI needs to find a way to add Drake, Valpo, and SEMO...clearly

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah, and a playoff MVFC squad barely escaped Grand Forks with a win over a terrible UND team. See, works both ways
We will see next week when SDSU takes NAU to the woodshed. A team that blew you out.

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.nauathletics.com/sports/fball/2013-14/schedule?teamId=a1ec0zcgmv4y4k6p

Northern Arizona's schedule, and results. Give UNI this schedule and the Panthers are in line for a #2 or #3 seed.

birdsflyhigh
November 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM
The ONLY MVFC to play lowly N. Colorado was UNI, and the panthers won by almost 3 TDS....26-7, so I don't know where you're coming off with that incorrect info.

Also the 2 playoff teams out of the Big Sky beat lowly N. Colorado by a total of 23 points. NAU won by 17 over UNC, while S. Utah won by 6 over UNC.

Sader87
November 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I think it's a case of geography (as well as politics to be sure)....there just aren't enough FCS schools in the Midwest, so they end up "eating their own" so to speak.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM
The ONLY MVFC to play lowly N. Colorado was UNI, and the panthers won by almost 3 TDS....26-7, so I don't know where you're coming off with that incorrect info.
and outgained them by over 120 yards over 400 to 280

Silenoz
November 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Reading fail. Try again.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I think it's a case of geography (as well as politics to be sure)....there just aren't enough FCS schools in the Midwest, so they end up "eating their own" so to speak.
So, what you're saying is it's not about getting the best teams in there.

It's about getting more teams from the east (even if from ****ty conferences that have done nothing to really deserve a playoff spot) because there's more of them out there?

Sader87
November 24th, 2013, 01:49 PM
So, what you're saying is it's not about getting the best teams in there.

It's about getting more teams from the east (even if from ****ty conferences that have done nothing to really deserve a playoff spot) because there's more of them out there?

I'm not defending it....but yeah.

As I said, there aren't enough good FCS programs throughout much of the Midwest, so they are grouped together in a league like the MVFC and end up beating up on each other.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I'm not defending it....but yeah.

As I said, there aren't enough good FCS programs throughout much of the Midwest, so they are grouped together in a league like the MVFC and end up beating up on each other.

Or when good FCS programs schedule, they buy out their games.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Or the team doesn't buy it out and the MVFC teams end up beating the **** out of the top 2 Southland teams....

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Which conference does that?xsmugx

Fordham
November 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I think an 11-1 Fordham team gets a seed and all that comes with it if we either played in a tougher league or what is perceived as a tougher league.

That's an incentive, no?

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I think an 11-1 Fordham team gets a seed and all that comes with it if we either played in a tougher league or what is perceived as a tougher league.

That's an incentive, no?
You wouldn't go 11-1 in the CAA, SLC, MVFC, Big Sky

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Like in basketball and every other sport with a playoff, it's about the teams, not the conferences. I don't understand why this is a big deal. Things will sort themselves out.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2013, 02:09 PM

With the unbalanced schedules these conferences have it's hard to say. Conferences need to shrink. Not playing every team in your league is ridiculous imo.

TigerFen
November 24th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I think YSU should've gotten in over SHSU myself with more Division I wins myself. Very surprised they were left out, but losing two straight didn't help YSU's chances.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.nauathletics.com/sports/fball/2013-14/schedule?teamId=a1ec0zcgmv4y4k6p

Northern Arizona's schedule, and results. Give UNI this schedule and the Panthers are in line for a #2 or #3 seed.

Give UNI any schedule that doesn't have NDSU on it, and they are probably in line for a #2 or #3 seed.....
(okay, injuries can happen in any game. but it seems like whenever UNI and NDSU face off, one or both teams end up with quite a few big injuries. Kind of like how the Steelers and Ravens games often seem to be, but anyway).

At the end of the day, I can't get upset at UNI not making it. But the inclusion of some of the teams that did make it certainly leaves me scratching my head.

Sader87
November 24th, 2013, 02:12 PM
With the unbalanced schedules these conferences have it's hard to say. Conferences need to shrink. Not playing every team in your league is ridiculous imo.

I totally agree with this.....see, we can agree on some things GLTUO xlolx

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Like in basketball and every other sport with a playoff, it's about the teams, not the conferences. I don't understand why this is a big deal. Things will sort themselves out.
How's that?

The OVC will continue to get 3 teams, the PFL will eventually get to 2 to keep them happy behind the scenes (book it), the new SoCon will get at least 2 or 3 every year.

A couple years ago the excuse for the MVFC only getting 2 was the top is good but the bottom sucked you need to strengthen the league. Now outside of InSU and maybe WIU the MVFC was 8 deep as a conference and now it's "well you guys just beat up on eachother and end up losing to many games so you can only get 2 teams in"

Not really sorting it self out is it

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Give UNI any schedule that doesn't have NDSU on it, and they are probably in line for a #2 or #3 seed.....
(okay, injuries can happen in any game. but it seems like whenever UNI and NDSU face off, one or both teams end up with quite a few big injuries. Kind of like how the Steelers and Ravens games often seem to be, but anyway).

At the end of the day, I can't get upset at UNI not making it. But the inclusion of some of the teams that did make it certainly leaves me scratching my head.
Jay is right...this isn't just about UNI making it. I can listen to arguments for UNI to not make it compared to *some* others. This is about the MVFC as a whole, and then UNI when compared to some of these other teams.

I never pull for NDSU or SDSU but I hope the steamroll the **** out of the playoffs

tribefan40
November 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I think YSU should've gotten in over SHSU myself with more Division I wins myself. Very surprised they were left out, but losing two straight didn't help YSU's chances.

Apparently didn't hurt SHSU's chances, either.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2013, 02:22 PM
How's that?

The OVC will continue to get 3 teams, the PFL will eventually get to 2 to keep them happy behind the scenes (book it), the new SoCon will get at least 2 or 3 every year.

A couple years ago the excuse for the MVFC only getting 2 was the top is good but the bottom sucked you need to strengthen the league. Now outside of InSU and maybe WIU the MVFC was 8 deep as a conference and now it's "well you guys just beat up on eachother and end up losing to many games so you can only get 2 teams in"

Not really sorting it self out is it

There's only about 4-6 teams each year that have a realistic chance of winning the title 9/10 years. It's like listening to Jay Bilas or Digger Phelps argue about who should be the last two or three teams in. It's fun to debate but ultimately it means very little. YSU, Lehigh, Charleston Southern, W&M etc. weren't going anywhere imo. 24 teams guarantees the Top 10-12 teams in the country get in.

This is NDSU's title to lose....

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I totally agree with this.....see, we can agree on some things GLTUO xlolx

The crappy, undeserving league to which the OP refers, of course, is our beloved PL - bastion of nerds and butt of jokes abounding.

But I sense another, deeper issuer here - what exactly happened the last time UNI played a team from our hapless little bush league? Just sayin' ;)

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 02:25 PM
There's only about 4-6 teams each year that have a realistic chance of winning the title 9/10 years. It's like listening to Jay Bilas or Digger Phelps argue about who should be the last two or three teams in. It's fun to debate but ultimately it means very little. YSU, Lehigh, Charleston Southern, W&M etc. weren't going anywhere imo. 24 teams guarantees the Top 10-12 teams in the country get in.

This is NDSU's title to lose....
The reduce the playoffs to 8

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM
The reduce the playoffs to 8

That would be a much lower % than the college hoops, college hockey, college lacrosse, NFL, NHL, NBA etc. playoffs. BUT, 8 would still include twice as many teams as the FBS playoffs....

16 was the perfect number....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Bull**it.

SDSU went into prevent and took the foot of the gas....nice try...xcoffeex

Silenoz
November 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Bull**it.

Ah yes, "foot off the gas", the universal excuse for close games

Oh, team X was driving for the tie at the end of the game? Well obviously its because we let them

KSU must of really let off the gas to let the Bison back into that game this year. Their bad.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Oh, team X was driving for the tie at the end of the game? Well obviously its because we let them

KSU must of really let off the gas to let the Bison back into that game this year. Their bad.

If you are hanging the strength of your league on UND, you are pissing into the wind.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM

I watched the whole game there genius.....SDSU took the foot off the gas. You try to say otherwise, well you didn't see that game then.

Silenoz
November 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM
If you are hanging the strength of your league on UND, you are pissing into the wind.
Nooo, I'm pointing out the fault in trying to judge two entire leagues based on a USD vs Montana game.

clawman
November 24th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Bull**it.

Eagles did the same earlier this year and rode a 42-17 lead to 42-37 final

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Eagles did the same earlier this year and rode a 42-17 lead to 42-37 final

I hate prevent defenses and playing 'conservative'. All it does is let the team playing catch-up get into a 'groove' and keep putting pressure on the prevent.

Da Bison
I never pull for NDSU or SDSU but I hope the steamroll the **** out of the playoffs

Welcome to the Dark Side.........just let the feeling come over you.........You need to come to Fargo for a playoff game, we will show you some MVFC hospitality.

centennial
Nooo, I'm pointing out the fault in trying to judge two entire leagues based on a USD vs Montana game.
There is also USD vs NAU. Doesn't help that the griz are going to struggle to not have a shutout in fargo.

Silenoz
November 24th, 2013, 03:20 PM
You know what, you guys are right, just seed the entire MVFC conference next year. It doesn't matter that none of them aside from NDSU have accomplished jack **** anytime recently.

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 03:29 PM
You know what, you guys are right, just seed the entire MVFC conference next year. It doesn't matter that none of them aside from NDSU have accomplished jack **** anytime recently.
Remember your words when you get beat worst than 5th place MVFC.

Silenoz
November 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Member your words when you get beat worst than 5th place MVFC.

"Member" them? Man, that's the 2nd phallic typo(?) you've made...

I'm starting to see that you're just a troll though. Or maybe just one of the more arrogant Bison fans out there. It's hard to tell the difference.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I watched the whole game there genius.....SDSU took the foot off the gas. You try to say otherwise, well you didn't see that game then.

I did watch the game and couldn't care less about UND and have more affection for SDSU which is the real reason I was watching it in the first place. I'm not gonna reargue this point as I just did this a couple of weeks ago but that "foot off the gas, prevent defense" excuse is just that...an excuse.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
There is also USD vs NAU. Doesn't help that the griz are going to struggle to not have a shutout in fargo.

I agree with you it will be tough to shut out NDSU at home but if we play our defense just right I think they will get it done. Of course NDSU has a decent defense as well so they may hold us to under our average so we may not score 40 plus but probably in the high 30's or so.

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 03:41 PM
"Member" them? Man, that's the 2nd phallic typo(?) you've made...

I'm starting to see that you're just a troll though. Or maybe just one of the more arrogant Bison fans out there. It's hard to tell the difference.
Good catch. My keyboard sucks and you caught in the minute it took me to fix it. Won't troll anymore, still believe griz have no chance. I'll be a griz fan till you get to Fargo..

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I agree with you it will be tough to shut out NDSU at home but if we play our defense just right I think they will get it done. Of course NDSU has a decent defense as well so they may hold us to under our average so we may not score 40 plus but probably in the high 30's or so.

http://www.sundriesshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/I-See-What-You-Did-There-Fry1.jpg

Gil Dobie
November 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM

WIU, a MVFC cream puff, lead 8-3 Minnesota for nearly 3 quarters, Portland St played 1 win Cal tough. :)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM
YSU should have gotten in over SUU. SUU has only 7 D1 wins, YSU has 8. YSU would have been a third MVFC team which should have been picked over a fourth Big Sky.

UNH received a gift from Delaware and William and Mary both crapping the bed in their final games.

UNH Fanboi
November 24th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Ok, maybe Youngstown should have gotten in, and I would not have put Tenn. St. in, and yeah, SHSU getting in with only 6 D1 wins was a joke, but I don't see a huge Committee bias against tough conferences. If you play in a tough conference, you at least have a shot at getting an at-large with 4 losses and are almost guaranteed a bid with only three losses. A Patriot League or Big South team wouldn't even sniff an at-large with 3 or more losses. So there obviously is a benefit to playing in a tough conference. With respect to Youngstown specifically, their only meaningful win was beating SIU by one point, and they got blown out in their last game. I don't feel too bad for them. In the end, I think the Committee was just a little sloppy, not biased against tough conferences.

birdsflyhigh
November 24th, 2013, 04:46 PM
As to the original question of what the incentive is to play in a tough conference, I would say NONE if you're an MVFC team. Each season the same thing happens, where all the teams are in a meat grinder, not many records look great, and gee let's put in patsy teams from low rung conferences because look they have shiny records.

I'm getting to the point that I think that maybe the MVFC teams should go out and load up a OOC schedule of 3 or 4 DI FCS/FBS patsies, so each team can go into conference with a shiny 3-0 or 4-0 marks. Then when the MVFC teams all go through their annual slugfest, there will be teams that lose 4 games in conference, but STILL have 7 DI wins.

All the talk about SOS this season by the selection committee was total BS as witnessed by their inclusions of more than a couple of questionable teams over teams that had gone through incredibly tough schedules.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 04:51 PM
YSU did just that this year...they are sitting at home right now

SHSU scheduled 2 non d1s and gets in

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I did watch the game and couldn't care less about UND and have more affection for SDSU which is the real reason I was watching it in the first place. I'm not gonna reargue this point as I just did this a couple of weeks ago but that "foot off the gas, prevent defense" excuse is just that...an excuse.

Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have done it and it almost cost them the game.

SDSU was in command of that game and almost lost it by not keeping the foot on the pedal.

Texas
November 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
YSU did just that this year...they are sitting at home right now

SHSU scheduled 2 non d1s and gets in

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/25/ugesuty7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

frozennorth
November 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM

and usd vs nau, and uni vs unc

birdsflyhigh
November 24th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Clenz, what I'm saying is that the rules seem to be different for just about every other power conference. Any other conference can load-up on patsies, and they will get rewarded by the selection, but not the MVFC. It doesn't seem to matter if the MVFC teams play tough teams or not because the selection committee will almost go out of their way to screw over the Valley teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have done it and it almost cost them the game.

SDSU was in command of that game and almost lost it by not keeping the foot on the pedal.
Well they didn't keep their foot on the pedal because they stopped controlling it with the run and just weren't producing and on top of that they started getting exploited by a team with a good passing game. It happens that a team that's good with a facet of the game can suddenly start clicking and that is what happened. If they had taken their foot off the gas and had the horses to correct that and put the foot back on the gas then do it but they had enough to win the game and should have so that's how it turned out. Coaches don't make decisions like "Ok, we got this let's take the foot off the gas" until it's time for victory formation. SDSU couldn't keep the 1st downs coming with their Oline in that one for whatever reason.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2013, 05:20 PM

BTW, a lot of teams seem to be in control of a game until the middle of the 3rd or 4th qtr. only to no longer be in control of the game. You see it frequently against teams with an explosive offense that starts clicking.

EllsworthGriz
November 24th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Is this the same SD team that was suppose to beat the fluffy weak griz team, but gave up an unlucky kick of return with 1:48 left in the game to lose. I thought that was just football and good teams find away to win. I have nothing but respect for the MVFC, the griz have had some truly fun battles with teams from your conference during the playoffs. I hope the griz can survive the 2nd round and make it to Fargo to play the best team in the FCS.

Fordham
November 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM

ah, now that's a different question altogether. You may think that. I may agree with you. Neither of us truly know the answer though.

The point still stands. 11 - 1 Fordham as a member of the PL does NOT get a seed. 11 - 1 Fordham as a member of a more respected conference does.

There is an incentive. Not sure it's worth it for every team or most teams or whatever. Nonetheless, it's a direct answer to the question asked.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Is this the same SD team that was suppose to beat the fluffy weak griz team, but gave up an unlucky kick of return with 1:48 left in the game to lose. I thought that was just football and good teams find away to win. I have nothing but respect for the MVFC, the griz have had some truly fun battles with teams from your conference during the playoffs. I hope the griz can survive the 2nd round and make it to Fargo to play the best team in the FCS.

We're talking about SDSU/UND if you are referring to me but others have talked about USD on this thread..or another...I'm sort of losing track.

BTW, use a cap when typing Griz ya dick. Good to see ya finally learn how to login Ellsie.

bluehenbillk
November 24th, 2013, 05:49 PM
The CAA used to dominate FCS. NC's in 03, 04, 08, 09 and runner ups in 07 & 10. Add to the fact it wasn't a one team show like NDSU is in the MVC. All that and the CAA used to get 4 or more in annually in a 16 team field. Teams in the MVC just need to win more. If anyone is whining about a 7-5 team not getting in we're just laughing at you.

birdsflyhigh
November 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Patty V, who heads the MVFC, needs to tender her resignation. If she doesn't, then she needs to be FIRED!

UNIFanSince1983
November 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM
The CAA used to dominate FCS. NC's in 03, 04, 08, 09 and runner ups in 07 & 10. Add to the fact it wasn't a one team show like NDSU is in the MVC. All that and the CAA used to get 4 or more in annually in a 16 team field. Teams in the MVC just need to win more. If anyone is whining about a 7-5 team not getting in we're just laughing at you.

When you get 5 teams in there is more of a chance to have the champion out of your conference. It is just plain statistics. If the MVFC gets 5 in I am certain they will win more. It is tough to "win more" when you are handicapped by having only 2 of your teams get in. Those two teams better be damn good and get some good luck too. BTW we consistently win more games in the playoffs than the OVC (who got more teams in than us this year), the MEAC (who got the same number of teams as us), and the Patriot League (who also had the same amount of teams as us and a 5-6 champion this year).

EllsworthGriz
November 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM
The caa did dominate, and are in my mind still a force to deal with. Take NDSU out of the msfc and what do you have? A good confernce that may or may not win the big one. Every conference has a team that has the potential to make a run and win it all. Let the games begin! And to Ursus, GO GRIZ BABY!

Lehigh'98
November 24th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Lehigh was 10-1 in the Patsy League last year and sat home. They also have a respectable history of winning playoff games. Liberty, Chuck South, Lehigh are all sitting home this year with 8 or more wins. Padded schedules did nothing to help these teams this year. Tenn st, SCSU, Jax St & Sam Houston somehow all got in with very weak resumes this year though, so it works both ways. Ultimately, you have to handle your business in the regular season and not whine about it when you don't. Even if YSU got in this year, realistically how far were they going after getting **** stomped there last 3 games in a row. I'd bet a sizeable chunk that none of the bubble teams this year make much noise.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2013, 06:37 PM
The caa did dominate, and are in my mind still a force to deal with. Take NDSU out of the msfc and what do you have? A good confernce that may or may not win the big one. Every conference has a team that has the potential to make a run and win it all. Let the games begin! And to Ursus, GO GRIZ BABY!

To be fair, NDSU did ruin a lot of teams in the MVFC. They just plain broke poor UNI.

kdinva
November 24th, 2013, 06:38 PM
.....Conferences need to shrink. Not playing every team in your league is ridiculous imo.

xthumbsupx

kalm
November 24th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Three OVC and two MEAC bids is a valid point regarding YSU. The rest is just useless butthurt over injuries and an over-inflated sense of conference strength.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2013, 06:55 PM
The simple fact that Southern Utah and or Sam Houston State got in and Youngstown State didn't means the system is broken. The committee needs to be revamped with all new members or scrapped altogether. There is absolutely no justification for SHSU's or SUU's selection over YSU!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2013, 06:58 PM
The simple fact that Southern Utah and or Sam Houston State got in and Youngstown State didn't means the system is broken. The committee needs to be revamped with all new members or scrapped altogether. There is absolutely no justification for SHSU's or SUU's selection over YSU!

The system is broken because a team ends the season with a 3 game losing streak and doesn't get in? Seriously? Not a single team that was left out has a gripe.

The system is fine. I just don't like the 24 team playoff system. Too much fluff imo....

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Agreed, the rankings from NCAA are horribly broken. How do they come up with them?

Drblankstare
November 24th, 2013, 07:02 PM
YSU didn't get in simply because of how badly they played the last 3 weeks. I'm sure the committee figured why waste a spot on a team failing apart at this point in the season. Fair or not

kalm
November 24th, 2013, 07:02 PM

SHSU has a quality win against the third ranked and seeded team in FCS. SUU has an FBS win and road win against 7-5 MSU. Please tell me again who YSU beat to place them ahead? 7-5 SIU? Dayton? Duquesne? Perhaps Moorehead?

Note to MVFC fans: you're conference is good…maybe not as good as you think.

Doc QB
November 24th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Ok, maybe Youngstown should have gotten in, and I would not have put Tenn. St. in, and yeah, SHSU getting in with only 6 D1 wins was a joke, but I don't see a huge Committee bias against tough conferences. If you play in a tough conference, you at least have a shot at getting an at-large with 4 losses and are almost guaranteed a bid with only three losses. A Patriot League or Big South team wouldn't even sniff an at-large with 3 or more losses. So there obviously is a benefit to playing in a tough conference. With respect to Youngstown specifically, their only meaningful win was beating SIU by one point, and they got blown out in their last game. I don't feel too bad for them. In the end, I think the Committee was just a little sloppy, not biased against tough conferences.

This pretty much answers the question of thread title. 10-1 LU last yr left out, and deservedly so IMO. 8-4 or 7-4 from power conf and u have a shot, also deservedly so. Happened this year there were a bunch like that, and the committee made their choices, based on their perceptions of their respective resume's, and we dont all agree with those choices obviously.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Didn't SHSU lose the last 2? Don't they only have 6 D1 wins?

kalm
November 24th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Didn't SHSU lose the last 2? Don't they only have 6 D1 wins?

Can't remember which wins were counters with HBU, Incarnate Word, etc. Doesn't matter as they're no less inspiring than Duquesne, Moorehead, and Dayton.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Can't remember which wins were counters with HBU, Incarnate Word, etc. Doesn't matter as they're no less inspiring than Duquesne, Moorehead, and Dayton.

Here's a hint...neither were counters.

A 6 win team made it as an at large with 1 win over a team with a winning record...

FargoBison
November 24th, 2013, 08:04 PM
SHSU has a quality win against the third ranked and seeded team in FCS. SUU has an FBS win and road win against 7-5 MSU. Please tell me again who YSU beat to place them ahead? 7-5 SIU? Dayton? Duquesne? Perhaps Moorehead?

The MVFC's problem was that it's third best team was clearly UNI and their problem was a 7-5 record. UNI wins one more game and their being in the field is a slam dunk.

YSU was completely living on the strength of the conference with little to no resume of their own.

SoupCity85
November 24th, 2013, 08:08 PM
To all those complaining about YSU.....let's be honest here. YSU played itself out just like last year. You can't go a whole month without a win, whether it be mid-season or late-season. And then let's add that 2 of the games were absolute blowouts. What does that tell you??? Coaching issues, personnel issues or a combo of both. That's what it equates to for YSU. The coach has talked for 2 seasons about leaving no doubt to the committee. Guess what.....both years left doubt and YSU got what it deserved....left out. Trust me, there is not (or maybe VERY few) YSU fans who have taken issue with this team not making it. We love our Penguins, but this team or last year's version just aren't good enough to make the playoffs.

kalm
November 24th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Here's a hint...neither were counters.

A 6 win team made it as an at large with 1 win over a team with a winning record...

And you're hanging YSU's hat on 3 of 8 wins against Moorehead, Duquesne, and Dayton. DI in name only…which was my point and apparently the committee's.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 08:26 PM
And you're hanging YSU's hat on 3 of 8 wins against Moorehead, Duquesne, and Dayton. DI in name only…which was my point and apparently the committee's.
Then they may as well come out and say "You might as well stop scheduling D1 games and play a **** ton of D2s and transitionals because they means just as much/more than D1 games"

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2013, 08:27 PM
All this talk about SHSU's wins. Wasn't it announced this summer that games were no longer seen as D1 or not, but just games as a whole? Meaning a win over a top notch D-II squad wouldn't be ranked lower than a win over Valparaiso. I thought that was part of the big announcement. I guess interpretation is different for everyone though? Stop being so obsessed with the transitioning teams they played. Find the 2013 NCAA rule that says those wins don't count and then say something.

buffalobill
November 24th, 2013, 08:27 PM

If the Griz win two and the Bison win one it should be a great game in the Fargodome. Interesting trivia question "Who was President of the USA the last time the Griz beat the Bison?":)

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Find the 2013 NCAA rule that says those wins don't count and then say something.
It's been brought up many times....by a guy with a SHSU avatar

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Then they may as well come out and say "You might as well stop scheduling D1 games and play a **** ton of D2s and transitionals because they means just as much/more than D1 games"

How dare they help transitioning teams schedule D1 opponents!! They scheduled Eastern Washington. A semifinal team from the previous year. Find another team with a more difficult non-conference FCS game than that, especially one that was out of state.

kalm
November 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM
All this talk about SHSU's wins. Wasn't it announced this summer that games were no longer seen as D1 or not, but just games as a whole? Meaning a win over a top notch D-II squad wouldn't be ranked lower than a win over Valparaiso. I thought that was part of the big announcement. I guess interpretation is different for everyone though? Stop being so obsessed with the transitioning teams they played. Find the 2013 NCAA rule that says those wins don't count and then say something.

This and it's a much better system as it doesn't provide cover to teams that schedule weak OOC.

kalm
November 24th, 2013, 08:35 PM
If the MVFC has a gripe, it should be toward SCSU and JSU who hail from traditionally weak conferences and neither of which has marquee win on their schedule.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Seriously...

I know one of those Dogdoo conferences has a pretty good track record against you guys

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Seriously...

Those dog**** conferences have won 6 out the last 12 national championships and that was done by 6 different teams.

In fact of the 24 teams that have played in those games, 12 of them have been from either of those two conferences.

stevdock
November 24th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I think the most frustrating part being a part of the MVFC in comparison to some of the other conferences, is we play everybody minus one team. When the CAA was getting 5 in, they weren't playing everybody. There were some teams that didn't play anybody good in conference and had a great record and got in. Same thing lately in the Big Sky. Their best teams don't play everybody. Would SUU have made the playoffs if they had played the other 3 playoff teams instead of losing to only 2 of them?? Would NAU get in if they would have played EWU instead of UNC?? Then don't even get me started on some of the other conferences that just don't play anybody. Now don't get me wrong UNI and YSU needed to find one more win, but at least they did play all the top teams in our conference.

F'N Hawks
November 24th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I think the most frustrating part being a part of the MVFC in comparison to some of the other conferences, is we play everybody minus one team. When the CAA was getting 5 in, they weren't playing everybody. There were some teams that didn't play anybody good in conference and had a great record and got in. Same thing lately in the Big Sky. Their best teams don't play everybody. Would SUU have made the playoffs if they had played the other 3 playoff teams instead of losing to only 2 of them?? Would NAU get in if they would have played EWU instead of UNC?? Then don't even get me started on some of the other conferences that just don't play anybody. Now don't get me wrong UNI and YSU needed to find one more win, but at least they did play all the top teams in our conference.

Win OOC games at beginning of the year and you get in - Southern Illinois. Don't lose five conference games - UNI. Don't lose your last three games and look terrible doing it - YSU.

Montana State didn't get in because they lost games at the end and looked bad doing it. The playoff chairman stated that "how you are playing at end of the year was a factor".

You guys would be really mad if Montana State would have beaten Montana. Big Sky may have gotten FIVE.

UNH Fanboi
November 24th, 2013, 09:11 PM

Not true. Montana had 7 wins a few years ago and and got left out because one of them was D2. Same thing happened to Delaware a couple of years ago too. I'm not defending the selection of SHSU or 3 OVC teams, but I don't think the sky is falling because the mighty MVFC only got two teams in.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Win OOC games at beginning of the year and you get in - Southern Illinois. Don't lose five conference games - UNI. Don't lose your last three games and look terrible doing it - YSU.

Montana State didn't get in because they lost games at the end and looked bad doing it. The playoff chairman stated that "how you are playing at end of the year was a factor".

You guys would be really mad if Montana State would have beaten Montana. Big Sky may have gotten FIVE.
UNI won the last three games of the season...UNI beat down an FBS...UNI beat down a seeded McNeese team...

stevdock
November 24th, 2013, 09:12 PM

No it didn't. SHSU lost their last two. UNI won their last three and had a FBS win. I'm not saying for a second that UNI didn't need to find a way to win one of those 5 games. But taking #1 to the final minutes of the game, losing 3 in overtime, and their other was by 10. Not getting blown out of any game. Like I said beating a FBS team and blowing out seeded McNeese. UNI should be in over someone.

UNH Fanboi
November 24th, 2013, 09:13 PM

Not this terrible argument again.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2013, 09:34 PM
they did drop the DI win minimum "rule" to 6 this year, instead of the 7 of previous years. for what it is worth.
to allow them to more easily pick and choose which teams they prefer

fmrbearkat
November 24th, 2013, 09:40 PM

You just need to make sure those coaches bring Zenner and those big uglies some oxygen tanks! If your defense isn't 2 deep NAU is going to wear y'all's asses out in the 2nd half!!

stevdock
November 24th, 2013, 09:41 PM
they did drop the DI win minimum "rule" to 6 this year, instead of the 7 of previous years. for what it is worth.
to allow them to more easily pick and choose which teams they prefer

Did anyone on the committee ever address this?? Seems like a dangerous precedent to set.

MSUBobcat
November 24th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Did anyone on the committee ever address this?? Seems like a dangerous precedent to set.

Dangerous?! Slow yo roll, Mr. Melodramatic. Perhaps a couple teams have gripes, but I don't think anyone is in any sort of danger because of the decisions. At least not until the Bison are the ones left out and some crazy zealot goes on a rampage.

Pant8her
November 24th, 2013, 10:01 PM
No it didn't. SHSU lost their last two. UNI won their last three and had a FBS win. I'm not saying for a second that UNI didn't need to find a way to win one of those 5 games. But taking #1 to the final minutes of the game, losing 3 in overtime, and their other was by 10. Not getting blown out of any game. Like I said beating a FBS team and blowing out seeded McNeese. UNI should be in over someone.

Holy smoke a NDSU fan argue the point for UNI?? I cant believe my eyes...
UNI does not deserve it this year especially with their second/third string players finishing out the season. The anemic offensive play calling would get us done in the first round. I would give them a little credit for OT games win or lose such as they do in hockey.

YSU let down their fans at the end all they had to do is win one of their last three and they would have been a lock.

Our seasons are over and we can hope that the two MVFC teams have a chance to play each other again this season. May the best teams win and good luck to all.

I love the playoff system, it may not be the best, but it is better than no playoffs.

BisonTru
November 24th, 2013, 10:24 PM
The first two games of the playoffs are going to be easier than a conference game. 3/4 of the valley is better than Furman or SCSU. Montana got outgained 390 - 458, out rushed 53 - 223 by the #7 valley Yotes. That got spanked yesterday by the bison. I think the Third Base Bar in frisco is lining the committees pockets.

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Holy smoke a NDSU fan argue the point for UNI?? I cant believe my eyes...
UNI does not deserve it this year especially with their second/third string players finishing out the season. The anemic offensive play calling would get us done in the first round. I would give them a little credit for OT games win or lose such as they do in hockey.

YSU let down their fans at the end all they had to do is win one of their last three and they would have been a lock.

Our seasons are over and we can hope that the two MVFC teams have a chance to play each other again this season. May the best teams win and good luck to all.

I love the playoff system, it may not be the best, but it is better than no playoffs.
IMO both deserved to be in the field more than the patsies like SC State or Jacksonville State or 6 D1 wins like SHSU. I am a bison fan and a football fan, your team was the only one that came close to beating ours. No one likes seeing good teams go out because they didn't have sway in the committee. This BS committee needs to go, a couple of human polls + a couple of computer polls and we don't have to deal with this situation again.

F'N Hawks
November 24th, 2013, 10:33 PM

They were 3-5 in the conference. Not a chance.

And yes he did say specifically in an interview that how a team is playing at the end is considered and discussed. You don't get rewarded for "playing teams tough into overtime".

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2013, 10:35 PM
The first two games of the playoffs are going to be easier than a conference game. 3/4 of the valley is better than Furman or SCSU. Montana got outgained 390 - 458, out rushed 53 - 223 by the #7 valley Yotes. That got spanked yesterday by the bison. I think the Third Base Bar in frisco is lining the committees pockets.

This.

Can't wait to get back there.

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 10:35 PM
They were 3-5 in the conference. Not a chance.

And yes he did say specifically in an interview that how a team is playing at the end is considered and discussed. You don't get rewarded for "playing teams tough into overtime".
You find a coach yet?

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2013, 10:45 PM
You just need to make sure those coaches bring Zenner and those big uglies some oxygen tanks! If your defense isn't 2 deep NAU is going to wear y'all's asses out in the 2nd half!!

Why? Altitude? Sorry, I live at 9000 feet and know a little about dealing with altitude, it is a non-factor. If it were such a big deal don't you think Northern AZ would have a better track record in all sports?

Vitojr130
November 24th, 2013, 10:48 PM

I think what he is saying is that luck wasn't necessary for SDSU to beat UND whereas Montana needed a hell of a break in the end to pull ahead of USD...

It's the very same USD team NDSU just curbstomped that almost beat a seeded team from the Big Sky...

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I thought I heard last year that when they expanded to 24 teams they were going to take D2 game in to account. I could have dreamed this but I don't remember being naked hearing it. If that's the case Indiana State was only 6 wins short of a spot.

I dont know know why you would have more teams than needed for an automatic spot in the playoffs. Competition within the conference doesn't seem to help so just play 6 or so teams and play a big OOC schedule. I know there are other problems but is it that much better to water down your playoff shot to make scheduling easy? Why not take all the MVC Schools add EIU SEMO and UND and split into 2 conferences and play crossover games.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I think what he is saying is that luck wasn't necessary for SDSU to beat UND whereas Montana needed a hell of a break in the end to pull ahead of USD...

It's the very same USD team NDSU just curbstomped that almost beat a seeded team from the Big Sky...

And had to squeak one out against Ind State

F'N Hawks
November 24th, 2013, 11:12 PM
You find a coach yet?

No.

Green26
November 24th, 2013, 11:18 PM

And USD beat UNI, which lost to NDSU by 1 point.

taper
November 24th, 2013, 11:20 PM

More championships than the CAA, for one. Can people stop saying this *****?

SIUSalukiFan
November 24th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Win OOC games at beginning of the year and you get in - Southern Illinois.

Southern Illinois opened the year at Illinois, lost by 8 and finished the game on the Illini 3-yard line. The next week SIU hosted Eastern Illinois and lost 40-37 in overtime. No other FCS team - including the two other OVC playoff choices - came within 18 points of the Panthers. Jacksonville State and Tennessee State lost to EIU by a combined 58 points.

We tried to call Incarnate Word and Benedict but Sam Houston and South Carolina State had already scheduled those juggernauts.

It's obvious the selection committee did nothing more than look at polls. SIU had to have the toughest non-conference schedule in the country then had to run the MVFC gauntlet and still finished 7-5. We managed to win five league games and beat UNI and South Dakota State on the road but hardly drew a mention.

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Southern Illinois opened the year at Illinois, lost by 8 and finished the game on the Illini 3-yard line. The next week SIU hosted Eastern Illinois and lost 40-37 in overtime. No other FCS team - including the two other OVC playoff choices - came within 18 points of the Panthers. Jacksonville State and Tennessee State lost to EIU by a combined 58 points.

We tried to call Incarnate Word and Benedict but Sam Houston and South Carolina State had already scheduled those juggernauts.

It's obvious the selection committee did nothing more than look at polls. SIU had to have the toughest non-conference schedule in the country then had to run the MVFC gauntlet and still finished 7-5. We managed to win five league games and beat UNI and South Dakota State on the road but hardly drew a mention.

They look at losses too. Once you have 4 or more FCS losses, you can pretty much count yourself out of the playoffs in any given year regardless of what conference you are in. That's just the facts. You're lucky, you got a chance at the probable national champion on your home turf. No other team will get a chance to do that this season. That's what the playoffs are for. Deciding ONE champion. Once you get at least 4 losses at the level you're playing in, do you really want to be considered to have a chance at the title?

fmrbearkat
November 24th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Why? Altitude? Sorry, I live at 9000 feet and know a little about dealing with altitude, it is a non-factor. If it were such a big deal don't you think Northern AZ would have a better track record in all sports?

It's a major major factor! Living at altitude is one thing. Playing a 60 minute college football game a day or so after arriving in flagstaff is completely different than living! We had a house at about 10k feet in Credted Butte and spent alot of my high school summer months there! I actually played a game in 2002 in flagstaff and it is a very big deal! It sucked bad actually. I would rather play in the Fargo dome than that flipping place! Although I'm sure the scenery around flagstaff is much more beautiful than Fargo..women included!

Darlinikki150
November 24th, 2013, 11:46 PM
It's a major major factor! Living at altitude is one thing. Playing a 60 minute college football game a day or so after arriving in flagstaff is completely different than living! We had a house at about 10k feet in Credted Butte and spent alot of my high school summer months there! I actually played a game in 2002 in flagstaff and it is a very big deal! It sucked bad actually. I would rather play in the Fargo dome than that flipping place! Although I'm sure the scenery around flagstaff is much more beautiful than Fargo..women included!

Why ya gotta put down ladies of Fargo? I'm sure all the meth mouthed ladies in Arizona are super friendly....

Texas
November 24th, 2013, 11:50 PM

http://youtu.be/QzBmQMyYDBk

SIUSalukiFan
November 24th, 2013, 11:52 PM
They look at losses too. Once you have 4 or more FCS losses, you can pretty much count yourself out of the playoffs in any given year regardless of what conference you are in. That's just the facts. You're lucky, you got a chance at the probable national champion on your home turf. No other team will get a chance to do that this season. That's what the playoffs are for. Deciding ONE champion. Once you get at least 4 losses at the level you're playing in, do you really want to be considered to have a chance at the title?

I'm not trying to say SIU got jobbed out of a playoff bid. I was responding to the guy who said SIU needed to win more non-conference games and adding another example for the author of this thread. What good does it do to have a top-notch schedule when you can play the likes of Fort Lewis and Georgia State and get a playoff bid?

For the record, SIU's other three losses were to Youngstown State (by 1), to NDSU (a game we led at halftime) and to Missouri State.

fmrbearkat
November 25th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Why ya gotta put down ladies of Fargo? I'm sure all the meth mouthed ladies in Arizona are super friendly....

There was alot of weird MFers in Flagstaff no doubt but its a beautiful town!!!

Darlinikki150
November 25th, 2013, 12:11 AM
There was alot of weird MFers in Flagstaff no doubt but its a beautiful town!!!

Acceptable rebuttal. You are forgiven. Lol

dudeitsaid
November 25th, 2013, 12:25 AM
They look at losses too. Once you have 4 or more FCS losses, you can pretty much count yourself out of the playoffs in any given year regardless of what conference you are in. That's just the facts.

This. They didn't select any team as an at large with more than four losses. I think there are some MVFC teams like UNI and SIU that could have beaten several of the teams in the playoff field, but the losses were a big part of the issue. Additionally, how far down the league standing will the committee be willing to go. It's more than I have time to research, but what is the greatest number of teams the committee has been willing to jump from the top of the standings and leave home to select a team further down the line with a better overall resume? Could anyone honestly expect a committee to pick the 8th place UNI team, as fantastic as some of their wins were? Regardless of the close games and extenuating circumstances? I would have to think they would take a lot more heat for that pick than leaving UNI home.

Regarding SIU, they also have the five losses to overcome, were fourth place in a conference where the third place team would be passed by, and really only have one signature win (or two, if you count the 8th place UNI).

I feel your pain, Clenz, and even agree with it in part. I have to imagine that that either UNI or SIU schedule Houston Baptist, or Valpo, etc, you guys are in, so maybe the greater frustration should be with the AD for scheduling the games you guys played.

I have yet to see official word Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word don't count. To me it seems they must have to the committee, but also note that SHSU does not have five losses.

MTfan4life
November 25th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I'm not trying to say SIU got jobbed out of a playoff bid. I was responding to the guy who said SIU needed to win more non-conference games and adding another example for the author of this thread. What good does it do to have a top-notch schedule when you can play the likes of Fort Lewis and Georgia State and get a playoff bid?

For the record, SIU's other three losses were to Youngstown State (by 1), to NDSU (a game we led at halftime) and to Missouri State.

Every ones' goal is to win the championship. Scheduling tougher competition sets you up come playoff time. However, it puts you at risk to lose those games. Now would you rather play sh***y teams and make the playoffs undefeated but underprepared, check undefeated Montana in 2007 losing to Wofford in the first round. Or check Youngstown playing cupcakes this season and being exposed once they played teams with talent. Or would you rather be seasoned heading in. Check James Madison in 2004. They had basically all of the CAA on their schedule. Got in to the playoffs with two losses and won 3 straight road games and then the national championship. I'd rather be well prepared.

JayJ79
November 25th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I have to imagine that that either UNI or SIU schedule Houston Baptist, or Valpo, etc, you guys are in, so maybe the greater frustration should be with the AD for scheduling the games you guys played.

yeah, UNI needs to tell their AD to stop scheduling those conference games, since those were the only ones they lost.

dudeitsaid
November 25th, 2013, 12:54 AM
yeah, UNI needs to tell their AD to stop scheduling those conference games, since those were the only ones they lost.

Klunk, brain fart on my part. I was looking at SIU's schedule when I typed that. UNI only won three of eight conference games. Even with their outstanding wins, how do you get past that? If SIU scheduled a weak FCS team instead of the University of Charleston, I have to believe the Salukis would have had 8 Div 1 wins and would be in the field.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2013, 01:24 AM

So you are saying SIU should not have scheduled #2 EIU and lost to them in double OT? Thanks for pointing out the error of our ways.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2013, 01:38 AM
This. They didn't select any team as an at large with more than four losses. I think there are some MVFC teams like UNI and SIU that could have beaten several of the teams in the playoff field, but the losses were a big part of the issue. Additionally, how far down the league standing will the committee be willing to go. It's more than I have time to research, but what is the greatest number of teams the committee has been willing to jump from the top of the standings and leave home to select a team further down the line with a better overall resume? Could anyone honestly expect a committee to pick the 8th place UNI team, as fantastic as some of their wins were? Regardless of the close games and extenuating circumstances? I would have to think they would take a lot more heat for that pick than leaving UNI home.

Regarding SIU, they also have the five losses to overcome, were fourth place in a conference where the third place team would be passed by, and really only have one signature win (or two, if you count the 8th place UNI).

I feel your pain, Clenz, and even agree with it in part. I have to imagine that that either UNI or SIU schedule Houston Baptist, or Valpo, etc, you guys are in, so maybe the greater frustration should be with the AD for scheduling the games you guys played.

I have yet to see official word Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word don't count. To me it seems they must have to the committee, but also note that SHSU does not have five losses.

How do you get that SIU was a fourth place team? They were in a four way tie for second in the Valley this year.

MTfan4life
November 25th, 2013, 01:45 AM
So you are saying SIU should not have scheduled #2 EIU and lost to them in double OT? Thanks for pointing out the error of our ways.

No, what he was saying was that if you lose too many games, no matter who you play, you shouldn't expect to be in the playoffs. It's not all about who you play. Losses come into effect. You can lose to EIU in double overtime all you want. Heck, you can also lose to #1 NDSU. Also, it still would have been acceptable after losing to Illinois. Southern Illinois probably still would have gotten in with 4 total losses. However, once they lost their fifth game of the season at HOME against a sub .500 Missouri State, there's no reason to include them anymore. A close loss to NDSU and EIU and Illinois doesn't look as good when you lose by 10 at home to Missouri State. There's no reason to be thinking SIU should be included aside from staring at computer ratings. They had their chances. However, a team with 4 losses in 10 FCS games doesn't deserve another shot.

dudeitsaid
November 25th, 2013, 01:54 AM
How do you get that SIU was a fourth place team? They were in a four way tie for second in the Valley this year.

True, but you lost head to head to YSU and have one less win than both SDSU, and YSU. And both SDSU and YSU have two more division 1 wins. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and don't know how you would rectify a "tie." You are tied in conference, and I mispoke in saying fourth place, and that may not be "official," but it certainly would be the inference I would make. How could the committee choose SIU over YSU?

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2013, 02:00 AM
True, but you lost head to head to YSU and have one less win than both SDSU, and YSU. And both SDSU and YSU have two more division 1 wins. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and don't know how you would rectify a "tie." You are tied in conference, and I mispoke in saying fourth place, and that may not be "official," but it certainly would be the inference I would make. How could the committee choose SIU over YSU?
Frankly, both YSU and SIU could have been playoff teams and made some noise. SIU had a higher SOS if there had to be a choice. Head to head doesn't help much when YSU beat SIU who beat SDSU who beat YSU.

dudeitsaid
November 25th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Frankly, both YSU and SIU could have been playoff teams and made some noise. SIU had a higher SOS if there had to be a choice. Head to head doesn't help much when YSU beat SIU who beat SDSU who beat YSU.

I completely agree with you. YSU, SIU, and frankly UNI could beat many of the teams in the playoff field. I'm not questioning that at all. I'm not throwing smack around, just trying to think about it from the committees perspective, rather than a fans. I really don't know how you choose any of those three teams. YSU ended with a three game losing streak (but was the third highest rated team from the MVFC in the SRS), UNI was tied for 7th in the conference, and SIU only had 6 D1 wins (I have to think they counted IW and HB as at least 1/2 a game in SHSU's case) and five losses. And they clearly set a precedent of not choosing teams with five losses this year. It's a classic case of doing what's necessary during your season to get there. One more win, and SIU and NIU are in, IMO. YSU avoids one of those losses, and they are in.

centennial
November 25th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I completely agree with you. YSU, SIU, and frankly UNI could beat many of the teams in the playoff field. I'm not questioning that at all. I'm not throwing smack around, just trying to think about it from the committees perspective, rather than a fans. I really don't know how you choose any of those three teams. YSU ended with a three game losing streak (but was the third highest rated team from the MVFC in the SRS), UNI was tied for 7th in the conference, and SIU only had 6 D1 wins (I have to think they counted IW and HB as at least 1/2 a game in SHSU's case) and five losses. And they clearly set a precedent of not choosing teams with five losses this year. It's a classic case of doing what's necessary during your season to get there. One more win, and SIU and NIU are in, IMO. YSU avoids one of those losses, and they are in.

All this is possible when you have a core of bad teams at the bottom. Doesn't work when they beat up on each other every week..

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2013, 05:34 AM
The incentive is to be in a larger conference that has more teams. If you are an average team in a 12 team conference, and your schedule includes the 6 bad teams that you defeat and 2 of the top teams that you don't have to defeat, you sitting at 6-2. Schedule 3 cupcakes and you are sitting good for the selection committee at 9-2. :)

kalm
November 25th, 2013, 07:35 AM
The incentive is to be in a larger conference that has more teams. If you are an average team in a 12 team conference, and your schedule includes the 6 bad teams that you defeat and 2 of the top teams that you don't have to defeat, you sitting at 6-2. Schedule 3 cupcakes and you are sitting good for the selection committee at 9-2. :)

Similar to NDSU's schedule minus Kstate. It's much easier to schedule weak OOC when you have the attendance to make money at home games. I don't blame Montana or you for doing that a bit.

In the case of SIU, YSU, and UNI…as I mentioned already, they have a beef regarding SCSU and JSU/TSU but just win one more game. SIU's schedule was no more difficult than ours and probably less. Our AD took a huge risk with the OOC schedule considering how much talent we had, but it paid off. Like MTfan4life mentioned…it's a crap shoot for sure but in the end you need to win enough games.

BISON Thunder
November 25th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Similar to NDSU's schedule minus Kstate. It's much easier to schedule weak OOC when you have the attendance to make money at home games. I don't blame Montana or you for doing that a bit.

In the case of SIU, YSU, and UNI…as I mentioned already, they have a beef regarding SCSU and JSU/TSU but just win one more game. SIU's schedule was no more difficult than ours and probably less. Our AD took a huge risk with the OOC schedule considering how much talent we had, but it paid off. Like MTfan4life mentioned…it's a crap shoot for sure but in the end you need to win enough games.

Ummm...let's not forget two teams backed out of this year's NDSU schedule (hope we play Montana State in the playoffs...oh).

kalm
November 25th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Ummm...let's not forget two teams backed out of this year's NDSU schedule (hope we play Montana State in the playoffs...oh).

Yep...forgot that. Good point.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM

2 years in a row. GSU backed out last year and we had to get PVAM I believe.

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2013, 08:58 AM

The weak schedule that included an FBS, a team that beat the heck out of McNeese and an FBS, at team that beat SELU and a team that lost to EIU in OT.

NDSU beat 5 DI schools with above .500 records, EWU 4, NAU 2, Montana 1, SUU 1 and SDSU 4. It's easier to not play the good teams in your conference when you have a larger conference.

kalm
November 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM
The weak schedule that included an FBS, a team that beat the heck out of McNeese and an FBS, at team that beat SELU and a team that lost to EIU in OT.

NDSU beat 5 DI schools with above .500 records, EWU 4, NAU 2, Montana 1, SUU 1 and SDSU 4. It's easier to not play the good teams in your conference when you have a larger conference.

Damn Gil…I just took it back. No need to be mean and pile on...xlolx

fmrbearkat
November 25th, 2013, 09:26 AM

But everybody chooses to look that Alabama St. backed out last minute which is what forced us to play HBU.

TypicalTribe
November 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Going back to the original question, the incentive of playing in a good league is that you have multiple opportunities to play games that can enhance your playoff chances. Playing in the CAA or MVFC means you'll probably have 4, 5 or even six chances to pick up wins against quality opponents. Heck, William & Mary played six straight games against ranked teams to close the season. That affords a tremendous opportunity while also offering your fans some exciting football on a regular basis.

Contrast that with the smaller leagues that often get at most one conference game of note and maybe one OOC game to hang their hat on. It's a lot more difficult when you have such little margin for error.

Now, there are going to be years when it's frustrating to play in deep conferences because you don't necessarily get any breathers, especially if the schedule shapes up unfavorably. However, it still comes down to winning games. At the end of the day, teams like UNI, YSU, W&M, Delaware, etc. didn't get at-large bids because they simply lost too many games, even though they were mainly against good teams. If you've shown the committee that you're not quite good enough to beat good teams then why should you get in a playoff where what you need to do is....wait for it...beat good teams!

kalm
November 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM
But everybody chooses to look that Alabama St. backed out last minute which is what forced us to play HBU.

What a difference!

SIUSalukiFan
November 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Eastern Washington is not the comparison here. Nobody has a beef with you guys and what you accomplished. Can we borrow the bottom four teams from the Big Sky so we can win more? xlolx

My biggest beef is the MVFC only getting three bids. Your win-more proclamation doesn't ring so true when somebody decided a seven-win New Hampshire team was better than an eight-win Youngstown State team. Is it really about winning more? Castigating YSU for limping to the end of the regular season doesn't carry much weight when Sam Houston State gets in the field despite losing its last two games, does it? And, when the selection committee chair goes on the record last week as saying schedule and conference strength and head-to-head match-ups will play heavily in selecting the field and the committee does the opposite? Well, that's a crock.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just surprised UT-Martin didn't get invited after giving up 70 to Eastern Illinois Saturday to give the OVC a fourth team. That NCAA ranking system is a beaut ... the 7-5 Skyhawks were still rated higher than Youngstown State and New Hampshire after that debacle.

Texas
November 25th, 2013, 09:36 AM
What a difference!

Outside of EWU AD having the balls to schedule us, nobody else would.

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Damn Gil…I just took it back. No need to be mean and pile on...xlolx

I did show that EWU had a better win count than the other Sky teams :)

clenz
November 25th, 2013, 09:43 AM

No ****

Dannen should be fired for allowing this team to thrash the **** it is a b12 school, a seeded McNeese team, and the 2 time defending pfl champion.

Also **** Dannen for the fact the MVFC didn't allow us to play the one truly ****ty team in our conference, Indiana State. If only he would have scheduled them for a conference game instead if sdsu, ndsu, or SIUand let every other team play them.

Sadly NDSU, SDSU, UNI and likely USD will never be off of each others schedule because of the rotation and the bitching of teams east of Iowa.

BisonFan02
November 25th, 2013, 09:59 AM
No ****

Dannen should be fired for allowing this team to thrash the **** it is a b12 school, a seeded McNeese team, and the 2 time defending pfl champion.

Also **** Dannen for the fact the MVFC didn't allow us to play the one truly ****ty team in our conference, Indiana State. If only he would have scheduled them for a conference game instead if sdsu, ndsu, or SIUand let every other team play them.

Sadly NDSU, SDSU, UNI and likely USD will never be off of each others schedule because of the rotation and the bitching of teams east of Iowa.

#firstworldvalleyproblems :D

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Going back to the original question, the incentive of playing in a good league is that you have multiple opportunities to play games that can enhance your playoff chances. Playing in the CAA or MVFC means you'll probably have 4, 5 or even six chances to pick up wins against quality opponents. Heck, William & Mary played six straight games against ranked teams to close the season. That affords a tremendous opportunity while also offering your fans some exciting football on a regular basis.

Contrast that with the smaller leagues that often get at most one conference game of note and maybe one OOC game to hang their hat on. It's a lot more difficult when you have such little margin for error.

Now, there are going to be years when it's frustrating to play in deep conferences because you don't necessarily get any breathers, especially if the schedule shapes up unfavorably. However, it still comes down to winning games. At the end of the day, teams like UNI, YSU, W&M, Delaware, etc. didn't get at-large bids because they simply lost too many games, even though they were mainly against good teams. If you've shown the committee that you're not quite good enough to beat good teams then why should you get in a playoff where what you need to do is....wait for it...beat good teams!

I agree, and just to add to it, playing in a tougher league helps in recruiting too. Players want to play on as big a stage as possible. The top 3 FCS leagues land the best players, just like the SEC, Pac-10, or Big-10 do in FBS. UNH has had 10 straight years in the post season and they have done it with virtually no stadium, very cold climate, and an average academic program. Knowing that UNH is in the CAA however, attracts some of the better talent on the east coast, as opposed to being in the NEC. Great coaching has helped UNH, but staying in the CAA has been the best opportunity for them, and the administration and coaches know that. Even if the league eats eachother a little bit and we end up with 7-4 records.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2013, 10:22 AM
No ****

They let them play NDSU last year.

Nova09
November 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM

I get what you're saying, and have always felt that way in the past. With a 16 team playoff, the at-larges all came from power conferences and you knew being in one of those meant you would be battle tested and get the nod over a team with a similar/maybe even better record who didn't have the same tough opponents.

What really irks me now is seeing the teams who do get at-large. I sit here knowing how good Nova is this year, and I have absolutely no qualms with not being a playoff team because we only went 6-5. But seeing how many teams that are worse than us in the field makes it psychologically that much more difficult. Forget Nova, as a CAA fan I know how good W&M is, and yeah you are in this position bc you lost on a win and in day, but I hate that you're out while some of those other teams are in with good records but no good wins. In the old days, you could have said 'well we didn't get selected bc we only had 7 wins, but if we were in a weaker conference and slipped up and didn't get the autobid we wouldn't be in anyway.' Now, I see what the OP is getting at complaining that better teams are left sitting at home, and the weak bloated field is going to lead to some wins for conferences that otherwise wouldn't get them, leading to those conferences clamoring for more representation, and the whole trend works against hte teams playing high quality competition 5-6-7-8 times a year.

...all that being said, I would much rather remain in a power conference than join a weaker one and win the autobid somewhat regularly.

RabidRabbit
November 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Yes, it's a xbawlingx shame that UND and UNC can't be coax out of the Big Sky to rejoin their old NCC rivals in a Summit/MVFC expanded conference. Should help the Big Sky shore up their travels. Puts the eastern most teams back with their midwestern brethren, and helps bolster baseball in the Summit.

Then split into a Summit 1/2 and MVC (+ YSU) half, 5 games in each side, and 3 of the other for the 8 conference games. Of course that MVC side would be too easily dominated by UNI, and NDSU would feel like it did in the NCC days. That would get 25% in on a consistent basis.

TypicalTribe
November 25th, 2013, 03:13 PM
What really irks me now is seeing the teams who do get at-large. I sit here knowing how good Nova is this year, and I have absolutely no qualms with not being a playoff team because we only went 6-5. But seeing how many teams that are worse than us in the field makes it psychologically that much more difficult. Forget Nova, as a CAA fan I know how good W&M is, and yeah you are in this position bc you lost on a win and in day, but I hate that you're out while some of those other teams are in with good records but no good wins. In the old days, you could have said 'well we didn't get selected bc we only had 7 wins, but if we were in a weaker conference and slipped up and didn't get the autobid we wouldn't be in anyway.' Now, I see what the OP is getting at complaining that better teams are left sitting at home, and the weak bloated field is going to lead to some wins for conferences that otherwise wouldn't get them, leading to those conferences clamoring for more representation, and the whole trend works against hte teams playing high quality competition 5-6-7-8 times a year.

Be careful about overreacting to one year, though. There were some really screwy things going on this year that won't happen every season. First and foremost, we expanded to 24 teams (adding three at-larges) in a season when three of the best teams in FCS (ODU/App St/GSU) all left. That created the strange SoCon race. Also, the Patriot League situation was unusual as well. Lastly, there was simply a really even distribution of wins in the CAA and MVFC. Nova/W&M/Delaware all finished with five losses and Richmond was right behind. A couple of games go differently and the CAA could have had five teams in the field again. Same thing for the MVFC. UNI pulls out a couple of OT games and SIU knocks off Eastern Illinois and the Valley gets four teams and the OVC probably only a couple because EIU's comp rating takes a hit. All in all, this is the first year of 24 teams and in the years to come the power conferences will still get most of the bids. Sometimes, strange things happen.

underdawg
November 25th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Final Top 25 Sagarin FCS Ratings and SOS Top 10

1. NDSU (58.4 SOS, number 4 SOS)

2. EIU (54.84 number 10 SOS)

3.SELU (52.3 SOS)

4. Towson (52.79 SOS)

5. EWU (54.01 SOS)

6. SDSU (58.71 SOS number three SOS)

7. UNI (57.96 SOS, number five SOS)

8. Villanova (57.90 number seven SOS)

9. W&M (56.35 number eight SOS)

10. SIU Salukis (60.96 number two SOS)

11. Montana (50.74 SOS)

12. McNeese St. (51.01 SOS)

13. Maine (51.83 SOS)

14. Princeton (46.83 SOS)

15. Harvard (48.08 SOS)

16.Coastal Carolina (46.77 SOS)

17. YSU (54.64 SOS number 9 SOS)

18. MIssouri State (57.92 SOS, number six SOS rating)

19. NHU (54.5 SOS)

20. Bethune-Cookman (42.19 SOS)

21. Liberty (48.54 SOS)

22. Illinois State (61.69 SOS--number one SOS in Nation for FCS)

23. TSU (49.45 SOS)

24. CAU (54.56 SOS)

25. Cal-Poly SLO (52.3 SOS)

Good to know teams are rewarded for their body of work by the Committee--sad

dbackjon
November 25th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Why?

What did YSU do to deserve this love?
Is it the OOC wins over Duquesne, Dayton and Morehead State?
The 54-point loss to Michigan State?
The one-point win over 7-5 SIU?
The wins over the four worst team in the MVFC, teams that COMBINED for TWO OOC DI wins?
Or the three game losing streak to end the season?

Southern Utah at least has a FBS win, and a win on the road over Montana State.
SHSU (who I agree doesn't belong), has a win over Eastern Washington.

Maybe if YSU would play a power conference foe OOC, and win, they'd have made it

SIUSalukiFan
November 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Why?

What did YSU do to deserve this love?
Is it the OOC wins over Duquesne, Dayton and Morehead State?
The 54-point loss to Michigan State?
The one-point win over 7-5 SIU?
The wins over the four worst team in the MVFC, teams that COMBINED for TWO OOC DI wins?
Or the three game losing streak to end the season?

Southern Utah at least has a FBS win, and a win on the road over Montana State.
SHSU (who I agree doesn't belong), has a win over Eastern Washington.

Maybe if YSU would play a power conference foe OOC, and win, they'd have made it

I don't know ... YSU's path to 8-4 looks awfully similar to Southern Utah's.

The OCC win over Fort Lewis? Going 5-0 against five of the bottom six teams in the Big Sky? Getting throttled by 38 against Washington State.

YSU obviously didn't have that high-profile 22-21 win over South Alabama on its resume. Case closed. xlolx

dbackjon
November 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM
UNI won the last three games of the season...UNI beat down an FBS...UNI beat down a seeded McNeese team...

And you had a five game losing streak, including losses to two really BAD teams.

Win either one of those and you would be in.

dbackjon
November 25th, 2013, 03:44 PM

Yet you lost to a bad Missouri State team (you know, the one that got beat by a middle of the OVC Murray State team, and two mid-tier Southland teams)

dbackjon
November 25th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Yes, it's a xbawlingx shame that UND and UNC can't be coax out of the Big Sky to rejoin their old NCC rivals in a Summit/MVFC expanded conference. Should help the Big Sky shore up their travels. Puts the eastern most teams back with their midwestern brethren, and helps bolster baseball in the Summit.

Then split into a Summit 1/2 and MVC (+ YSU) half, 5 games in each side, and 3 of the other for the 8 conference games. Of course that MVC side would be too easily dominated by UNI, and NDSU would feel like it did in the NCC days. That would get 25% in on a consistent basis.

LOL - I thought the fact that you dumped UND and UNC on the Big Sky was a point of pride for the MVFC? Guess Fullerton knew what he was doing after all ::)

dbackjon
November 25th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I don't know ... YSU's path to 8-4 looks awfully similar to Southern Utah's.

The OCC win over Fort Lewis? Going 5-0 against five of the bottom six teams in the Big Sky? Getting throttled by 38 against Washington State.

YSU obviously didn't have that high-profile 22-21 win over South Alabama on its resume. Case closed. xlolx

No, YSU doesn't have a FBS win. Thanks for making the point. And please, please explain what has YSU shown to deserve this hand-wringing from the MVfC crew?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2013, 03:53 PM
No, YSU doesn't have a FBS win. Thanks for making the point. And please, please explain what has YSU shown to deserve this hand-wringing from the MVfC crew?

You seem pretty keen to piss all over everybody else's opinion when you don't think you yourself don't think you should be playing this weekend.

dbackjon
November 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM
You seem pretty keen to piss all over everybody else's opinion when you don't think you yourself don't think you should be playing this weekend.

People are bitching and moaning, and not presenting facts. I am.

And yes, NAU should be a seed over Montana. Logical facts show that.

centennial
November 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM
With all the opinions you have, please tell me why SCSU or SHSU should have even been in the field? No one has said NAU shouldn't have been in the field. I hope that SDSU destroys your overrated team.

Grizcountry420
November 25th, 2013, 04:09 PM
People are bitching and moaning, and not presenting facts. I am.

And yes, NAU should be a seed over Montana. Logical facts show that.

Says the guy bitching and moaning......

fencer24
November 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I have this strange sense of deja vu all over again. NDSU and Clenz arguing theirs is the toughest conference and it's just unfair that there weren't more MVFC teams playing and it's all because they play in such a touch conference they are basically beating the hell out of each other. Let's see, I think I heard the same thing from the CAA, and before that SoCon, and probably just a bit more but doesn't come to mind. How much longer until someone from the Patriot League comes on and starts saying the same thing?

I know it's all about strength of schedule and common opponents in this discussion, but that is really pretty pointless. How many teams this year defeated ranked opponents who subsequently fell out of the rankings? I know it's easy in hindsight to look back at what happened, but on the Friday before the game, were you really that confident that your team would beat the other ranked team? Teams are not static, nor are they linear. Some suffer from injuries, most improve, some improve even more, or more likely, unevenly. There is no way to look back and forecast the future. You can establish probabilities, but you can't establish certainties.

The slots are established, rightly or wrongly, it doesn't matter anymore. IS NDSU the favorite? Absolutely, but the #1 team has fallen before, unexpectedly of course. Or how about those teams like JMU that had to go on three straight road trips to win it all? This is the new season, everything that has happened before doesn't matter. It's win or die at this point, and any team in the field of 24 can do it, maybe even Furman beating NDSU in the Fargodome.

dbackjon
November 25th, 2013, 04:44 PM
With all the opinions you have, please tell me why SCSU or SHSU should have even been in the field? No one has said NAU shouldn't have been in the field. I hope that SDSU destroys your overrated team.

Who is arguing that NAU should or should not be in the field. How is NAU overrated?

And Lakes/JBB, why the anger?

If you had reading ability, you would note that I have stated I don't think SHSU should be in the field, and that I would have put UNI in over either of these teams.

I am still trying to get an answer from a non-YSU team as to what did YSU/SIU do that makes it such a travesty they didn't get selected?

Darlinikki150
November 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
YSU is sitting home for a reason. While I don't agree with SHSU being in, they would kill YSU in a head to head game. NAU got hosed not being seeded, but they deserve to be in. SUI is home for a reason, they would lose to NAU. Defense would break against them and IMO would be a blowout.

We can argue all year about the selections, but its pointless. Its over and now we march on to the NC. I'm already pumped, and I don't care who we play. We are home, its gonna be fun no matter who's on the field against us.

centennial
November 25th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Who is arguing that NAU should or should not be in the field. How is NAU overrated?

And Lakes/JBB, why the anger?

If you had reading ability, you would note that I have stated I don't think SHSU should be in the field, and that I would have put UNI in over either of these teams.

I am still trying to get an answer from a non-YSU team as to what did YSU/SIU do that makes it such a travesty they didn't get selected?
YSU went on a bad run at the end. I would have been fine with someone who deserved it more, someone like Liberty or W&M. YSU's resume overall was poor but they played good competition within the valley. I didn't expect them to go on a run without their QB anyway. I think everyone agrees that the selection committee did a poor job. BTW I am neither of those posters.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM
YSU went on a bad run at the end. I would have been fine with someone who deserved it more, someone like Liberty or W&M. YSU's resume overall was poor but they played good competition within the valley. I didn't expect them to go on a run without their QB anyway. I think everyone agrees that the selection committee did a poor job. BTW I am neither of those posters.

Maybe not, still haven't looked into it. You have been trying to get close to doing an impression of them though which probably isn't the best of ideas for what it's worth.

As to your post here though I don't disagree that there are other teams that could make the case they were as good as a couple that made it in. Doesn't mean anything though since we're talking about barely should be considered at best anyway.

SDFS
November 25th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Bull**it.

I was at the game and UND had receivers open all game... UND switched QB and he got a hot hand. SDSU does not have a very good secondary and if you call taking your foot off the gas trying to throw the ball for some reason... that is on the SDSU coaches. SDSU was very close to losing that game via a punt return and then a tip'd pass. NOTE: This was the first real college game action for the two R-Fr QB played. SDSU was not overly impressive in this game outside of Zenner.

SDFS
November 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM

NAU - just finished second place in mens' CC. They finished 2nd to Colorado.

http://branchsportstech.com/2013_Meets/xc/11-23-NCAA/Results.php?EN=1&SN=F&ST=Official

smallcollegefbfan
November 25th, 2013, 06:28 PM
The sad thing it happens this way in the small potatoes world of FCS football. Everybody pines for playoffs and expanded playoffs in the FBS but the politicizing of that selection process will be 10 times worse.

One of the reasons I hated the expansion of the playoffs is now a team who is not worthy but is 9-3 or 8-3 will now get in over a team in a strong league that is 7-4. Expanding doesn't put more quality teams in but only helps those who have an easy schedule or poor conference get in. There isn't a team in the Pioneer League who could beat UNI or half the MVFC. UNI and YSU would have been the top 2 teams in the Pioneer League and gotten in the playoffs with the same schedule Butler has.

centennial
November 25th, 2013, 06:37 PM
One of the reasons I hated the expansion of the playoffs is now a team who is not worthy but is 9-3 or 8-3 will now get in over a team in a strong league that is 7-4. Expanding doesn't put more quality teams in but only helps those who have an easy schedule or poor conference get in. There isn't a team in the Pioneer League who could beat UNI or half the MVFC. UNI and YSU would have been the top 2 teams in the Pioneer League and gotten in the playoffs with the same schedule Butler has.
I think the major issue is the NCAA srs. I don't know how it works however it prioritizes wins over a quality schedule.

Herder
November 25th, 2013, 07:04 PM
If the FCS selection committee was in charge of picking a 4 team FBS playoff field, they would have the following field:

Game 1: Alabama vs. Florida State
Game 2: Fresno vs. N. Illinois

1st Team Out: Ohio State - schedule was too weak, sorry. Should have scheduled better OOC, B1G down year.
No Bowl for You: 8-3 LSU, too many losses, Lost last game to end the season, tisk, tisk; Doesn't Matter that they play in the best conference, just too many losses.

The 16th and 18th ranked teams in the lowest ranked conference, one of them would be in the championshipgame, and the FCS selection committee would somehow justify this.

stevdock
November 25th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I think the major issue is the NCAA srs. I don't know how it works however it prioritizes wins over a quality schedule.

I instantly started to question this SRS when NDSU has been an unanimous #1 for the last 6 weeks or so in every poll and they are #2 in the SRS.

SIUSalukiFan
November 25th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I instantly started to question this SRS when NDSU has been an unanimous #1 for the last 6 weeks or so in every poll and they are #2 in the SRS.

Compare the SRS to other rankings and polls that have been published throughout the season and the differences are stark. You have to either believe the SRS is the gospel or a whack job ... there's no chance it's in the middle.

JayJ79
November 25th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Compare the SRS to other rankings and polls that have been published throughout the season and the differences are stark. You have to either believe the SRS is the gospel or a whack job ... there's no chance it's in the middle.

considering the number of attrocities that whack jobs have committed and tried using the gospel to "justify" them.......

underdawg
November 25th, 2013, 11:24 PM
And you had a five game losing streak, including losses to two really BAD teams.

Win either one of those and you would be in.

I'm assuming you are talking about MSU and SIU? You know kid almost every computer poll in the country was a duplicate of the one I posted on Sagarin. Yeh I guess you can keep denying what is fact but even SIU and MSU are head and shoulders above your ragtag outfit in computer ranking and SOS