PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee State at Butler

Cocky
November 24th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Discuss

taper
November 24th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Did TN St even put in a bid? Away game to Pioneer?

TTUEagles
November 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM
You would think that TSU could have put up a nice bid given it's home field is the NFL's LP Field...?
Pretty good draw for TSU, I would think...but, I cannot believe they would set up a potential conference game in round #2

superman7515
November 24th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Tennessee State by 20.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2013, 12:01 PM
but, I cannot believe they would set up a potential conference game in round #2

not that unbelievable really, considering how often they do it.
there is like 4 such potential 2nd round matchups in this year's bracket.

and SDSU had to play at NDSU in the second round last year

swaghook
November 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Don't really know much about either team gave the home team the nod on this one.

roknows50
November 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Don't really know much about either team gave the home team the nod on this one.

I will have to get more detail. I know we put a bid in. LP field is too big for us to make a profit on a game during the holiday time. We couldn't use our on campus facility because we don't have lights. In short, we don't market, so no one would have come to the playoff game.

OSRacer
November 24th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Saw where Butler beat a couple of D3 teams and every win was against non scholarship FCS teams. I don't think Butler deserves to be in, but they get a shot - at home. Not knocking them, but there are some pretty good teams not in, that play at a very high level. I'm curious about this one and if Butler wins, I'll be the 1st to congratulate them...no disrespect but if TSU is healthy they should win big...

JayJ79
November 24th, 2013, 05:29 PM
if Butler wins, I'll be the 1st to congratulate them....

will it be a post with the subject line "Butler did it!"?

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Did TN St even put in a bid? Away game to Pioneer?

They must be playing the game at Hinkle Fieldhouse.

Bigblue2013
November 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM
TSU did not put in a bid, there would have been no profit. Also, TSU on campus field does have lights, it's just not big enough to host a playoff game. I'm glad we are on the road. We are 5-1 on the road this season, with wins over Jacksonville State and UT Martin, who were ranked at the time.

With this game, I think TSU will when by at least 3 touchdowns. Mike German back at quarterback, butler not really playing anybody all season, #5 defense in fcs. All signs of a good draw for TSU.

Demwai
November 24th, 2013, 09:08 PM
TSU did not put in a bid, there would have been no profit. Also, TSU on campus field does have lights, it's just not big enough to host a playoff game. I'm glad we are on the road. We are 5-1 on the road this season, with wins over Jacksonville State and UT Martin, who were ranked at the time.

With this game, I think TSU will when by at least 3 touchdowns. Mike German back at quarterback, butler not really playing anybody all season, #5 defense in fcs. All signs of a good draw for TSU.

Was about to ask about German. If he is 100%, TSU will give teams problems.

TTUEagles
November 24th, 2013, 09:24 PM
" (TSU AD) Phillips said TSU did not put in a minimum bid ($30,000) with hopes of earninghttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/#) a home game.
'It was just too expensive because it usually takes about $80,000 to get a home game and then there is all the cost that goes with playing a game here (at LP Field),' Phillips said."

----tennessean.com

Bigblue2013
November 24th, 2013, 09:48 PM
And with it being thanksgiving, all the students going home, no way we would've packed to break even.

chattanoogamocs
November 25th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Butler (and the Pioneer)...and hosting (no less!) is the equivalent of (with the expanded playoffs) of giving every kid in a little league a trophy. :)

Go State!

hebmskebm
November 25th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Butler (and the Pioneer)...and hosting (no less!) is the equivalent of (with the expanded playoffs) of giving every kid in a little league a trophy. :)

Go State!

I believe all conferences should be represented by at least one team in all NCAA tournaments if they are in compliance and wish to compete. (March Madness shows how much fun it is when small schools are given a chance and pull the upset, and yes I know basketball aint football) Having said that, I think Chatty got hosed. I was off on two teams, you guys and YSU (ironically, the two I didn't have in, SHSU and SUU, are playing one another).

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2013, 01:41 AM
They must be playing the game at Hinkle Fieldhouse.

Been there.
Done that.

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2013, 01:42 AM
At least we won't be talking about how long it has been since the OVC won a playoff game any more.

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2013, 02:16 AM
At least we won't be talking about how long it has been since the OVC won a playoff game any more.

Come on. Butler to the quarterfinals is a LOCK. xthumbsupx

chattanoogamocs
November 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I believe all conferences should be represented by at least one team in all NCAA tournaments if they are in compliance and wish to compete. (March Madness shows how much fun it is when small schools are given a chance and pull the upset, and yes I know basketball aint football) Having said that, I think Chatty got hosed. I was off on two teams, you guys and YSU (ironically, the two I didn't have in, SHSU and SUU, are playing one another).

I am not trying to start an argument, because I don't feel super strongly about it...but the difference between this and March Madness is, all March Madness participants are scholarship teams.

I have no problem with any FCS conference having a bid if they awards scholarships...but without them, it makes the conference uncompetitive.

kdinva
November 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM
The Butler Bowl:

http://butlersports.com/information/facilities/butler_bowl

Don't see any light poles their, either........

TSU did not put in a bid, there would have been no profit. Also, TSU on campus field does have lights, it's just not big enough to host a playoff game. .

hebmskebm
November 25th, 2013, 12:07 PM
The Butler Bowl:

On its Wiki page there are pictures of night games, so it could be done even if the lights are temporary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler_Bowl

underdawg
November 25th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Neither of these two teams should even be in the play-offs

Twentysix
November 25th, 2013, 12:44 PM
The Butler Bowl:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/ButlerBowl8.JPG

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Neither of these two teams should even be in the play-offs

Agree 100% but they are.

I don't know anything about either team except that S Dakota State crushed Butler and having their 2nd stringers in the 3rd quarter.

Butler's schedule:

SDSU
Wittenberg
Franklin College
Dartmouth
Jacksonville
Stetson
Campbell
Drake
San Diego
Dayton
Valpo
Morehead State

SDSU is good but the rest of that schedule is a joke. Tennessee State....no clue.

I'll guess that TSU wins this one and then going to EIU and getting spanked.

Model Citizen
November 27th, 2013, 07:30 PM

Better than hosting without having a team actually qualify for the past three decades.

dgtw
November 27th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I don't mind the Pioneer getting a bid, they just should not be hosting the first round.

wheatstraw78
November 27th, 2013, 10:55 PM
So, you don't know anything about either team but agree 100% that neither should be in?
Agree 100% but they are.

I don't know anything about either team except that S Dakota State crushed Butler and having their 2nd stringers in the 3rd quarter.

Butler's schedule:

SDSU
Wittenberg
Franklin College
Dartmouth
Jacksonville
Stetson
Campbell
Drake
San Diego
Dayton
Valpo
Morehead State

SDSU is good but the rest of that schedule is a joke. Tennessee State....no clue.

I'll guess that TSU wins this one and then going to EIU and getting spanked.

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I am not trying to start an argument, because I don't feel super strongly about it...but the difference between this and March Madness is, all March Madness participants are scholarship teams.

I have no problem with any FCS conference having a bid if they awards scholarships...but without them, it makes the conference uncompetitive.

Even the Ivy League schools? I thought they were not scholarship in basketball too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2013, 05:58 AM
So, you don't know anything about either team but agree 100% that neither should be in?

Yep, neither should be in but they are.

I knew SDSU played Butler so wanted to see Butler's schedule and posted it. Speaks for itself.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Butler wins by double digits. You heard it here first.

gotts
November 30th, 2013, 02:52 AM

Is this the same claim as a 7 win MVFC team getting in the playoffs??? LOL

PanthersBlue
November 30th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Good luck Tigers

DSUrocks07
November 30th, 2013, 08:09 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/ButlerBowl8.JPG

Better stadium than ours... xbawlingx

dgtw
November 30th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Pulling for my OVC brethren.

WileECoyote06
November 30th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Yep, neither should be in but they are.

I knew SDSU played Butler so wanted to see Butler's schedule and posted it. Speaks for itself.

And what about TSU's schedule makes them unworthy?

Massey has them rated #22, better than 10 other playoff teams.

And I think TSU wins 28 -10.

MTfan4life
November 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Florida winning by double digits is more likely than this happening!

robsnotes4u
November 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Better stadium than ours... xbawlingx

Now that is a stadium I like, and that comes from someone who watches games in the Fargodome. I like the outdoor old school places!

Green1
November 30th, 2013, 10:43 AM

"Unfair!" home field advantage rears it's ugly head. :D

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Tennessee State kicks a field goal for a 10-0 lead in the 2nd quarter.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Tennessee State turns the ball over and Butler takes over close to the red zone. Tennessee State's defense holds them and they go nowhere but backwards, then miss the field goal. TSU ball.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 01:17 PM
3 & 11 for TSU and Tim Broughton breaks one for almost 50 yards.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 01:18 PM
German to Hooks for 22 yards and Tennessee State has 1st down at the 13-yard line with 1:06 before halftime.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
German to Samuels for the 13-yard touchdown pass. Extra point is good.

Tennessee State - 17
Butler - 0

underdawg
November 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Must not be much to do up there in the Northeast

DSUrocks07
November 30th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Now that is a stadium I like, and that comes from someone who watches games in the Fargodome. I like the outdoor old school places!

And its expandable as well ;)

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Must not be much to do up there in the Northeast

The game is in Indiana and I just went back and looked through this thread and there isn't a single poster in the Northeast, so I think you're in the wrong thread.

DrStrangelove
November 30th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Butler has 97 total yards, 42 of them on the ground. Very hard to run on the Tennessee State defense.

Lehigh'98
November 30th, 2013, 01:50 PM
From what I've seen (probably 10 plays) TSU looks like they are all run, can't pass much. Butler looks like they have inferior athletes on field. Either way, EIU probably wins by 42 next week.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 01:52 PM
From what I've seen (probably 10 plays) TSU looks like they are all run, can't pass much. Butler looks like they have inferior athletes on field. Either way, EIU probably wins by 42 next week.

You must have watched even less than that, TSU has two passing touchdowns and 180 yards through the air in the first half, 77 yards (almost 50 on one play) and no points from the ground game.

Lehigh'98
November 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM
You must have watched even less than that, TSU has two passing touchdowns and 180 yards through the air in the first half, 77 yards (almost 50 on one play) and no points from the ground game.

Possibly yes, I saw on 3rd and 12 on their own 20 or so they called a power right and gained 50. I then saw QB make about 3 or 4 awful throws, so i could be way off. Looks as if they will win going away though.

gotts
November 30th, 2013, 01:56 PM

xrolleyesx

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Another touchdown pass to Mitchell and the Tigers are up 31-0.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Fitzpatrick intercepts the ball and Tennessee State is driving again.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
And the final... Tennessee State wins 31-0.

Cocky
November 30th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Finally we win a playoff game
good job TSU

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 03:29 PM
xrolleyesx

He is actually onto something.

Every single thing he has predicted, the exact opposite has happened.

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Congrats to Tenn State for breaking the OVC playoff drought.

UNHWildcat18
November 30th, 2013, 06:49 PM

I give OVC credit for "breaking the drought" but a Pioneer team being in the playoffs is the biggest insult to all of the bubble teams in power conferences that sat at home. such a joke. I'm not saying OVC is crap or anything just won a practice game, as did we however so enjoy winning a scrimmage lol.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Well the OVC will win again next week in a non-scrimmage, so no big deal.

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I give OVC credit for "breaking the drought" but a Pioneer team being in the playoffs is the biggest insult to all of the bubble teams in power conferences that sat at home. such a joke. I'm not saying OVC is crap or anything just won a practice game, as did we however so enjoy winning a scrimmage lol.
Jacksonville State leads Samford 17-0 after the first quarter. The OVC is better this year than most folks give them credit for.

Bigblue2013
November 30th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Yea. A Jacksonville State team TSU beat, and a Samford team that Chattanooga lost to.

Lehigh'98
November 30th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Jax St is handling Samford as well, so the OVC curse has ended.

Sycamore62
December 1st, 2013, 12:18 AM
Jax St is handling Samford as well, so the OVC curse has ended.

The curse of not getting a team past the round of 16 will have to wait a week.

blukeys
December 1st, 2013, 12:29 AM

Beating a Division 3 team is not something I would thump my chest about.

SIUSalukiFan
December 1st, 2013, 12:38 AM
The OVC gets credit for winning two playoff games today but it is not a good conference. It has one great team. There are a bunch of schools sitting at home today that would have beaten Butler and Samford.

Tennessee State and Jacksonville State got incredibly nice draws.

Go...gate
December 1st, 2013, 01:58 AM
A win is a win - ESPECIALLY in a playoff game. Congratulations to Tennessee State.

EKU_SAE
December 1st, 2013, 03:21 AM
Don't forget the OVC has another team in the playoffs that did not play this week, EIU is the number 2 in the nation, may be time for people to give the conference a little credit, regardless, of the last 16 teams left, 3 are from the OVC including #2,and they are guaranteed at least one in the round beyond that, just wish my Colonels would wake the hell up and could have been part of it!

Cocky
December 1st, 2013, 07:24 AM

close to twenty years you take them anyway you can.

superman7515
December 1st, 2013, 07:25 AM
Beating a Division 3 team is not something I would thump my chest about.

Especially since Delaware is sitting at home for the third straight year and 7th season in the last nine, despite struggling to beat a "Division 3 team" that finished 5-6 from that same conference in the first game of the season. Yep, plenty of room to talk in Newark this fall.

Cocky
December 1st, 2013, 07:46 AM
The OVC gets credit for winning two playoff games today but it is not a good conference. It has one great team. There are a bunch of schools sitting at home today that would have beaten Butler and Samford.

JSU drew a SOCON co champ. Plus JSU played in a league with a very nice record against the MVC. If you reverse the OOC record between the leagues the MVC may have received 3 or 4 bids.

RabidRabbit
December 1st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Can't miss. EIU vs Tn St. in round of 16.

dgtw
December 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM
The curse of not getting a team past the round of 16 will have to wait a week.

Tennessee State plays Eastern Illinois, so the OVC will have a team in the quarterfinals.

Big_Fan
December 1st, 2013, 02:40 PM
Tennessee State plays Eastern Illinois, so the OVC will have a team in the quarterfinals.

Not saying it will happen, but Jax State is more than capable of beating McNeese.

blukeys
December 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM

Anytime one is paired with a team from the Pathetic Football League, it is a great draw. Tennessee State essentially got a bye to the round of 16.

dgtw
December 1st, 2013, 07:11 PM
Not saying it will happen, but Jax State is more than capable of beating McNeese.

I agree and will be rooting for them. Just pointing out the OVC is assured of a quarterfinalist.