PDA

View Full Version : Samford at Jacksonville State

Cocky
November 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Discuss

Cocky
November 24th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Happy the NCAA has put us back on the field together.

Cocky
November 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
If we win will someone carry my family duck hunting!!

msupokes1
November 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Not sure exactly what the question is but I am assuming you mean duck hunting down here. If you come to lake Charles I would gladly take you.

ASU33
November 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I may have to make a special trip to Calhoun County for this one.

JaxSinfonian
November 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM
The committee would have been entirely justified in leaving Jax State out. As it is, this is the best possible outcome for Gamecock fans: a home game in the first round against a traditional rival from 60 miles away who JSU hasn't faced since 2007 (and to whom the Gamecocks have not lost since 1999).

Does Samford still have fans? They used to bring a few to the old Paul Snow Stadium. I hope they like what we've done with the place.

dgtw
November 24th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I'm sure it was just a coincidence the NCAA scheduled the game to begin at 7:00 as not to conflict with the other game of note in the state Saturday.

Samford has made great strides under Sullivan and the Gamecocks have come a long way in Clark's first year. I expect a close game.

Cocky
November 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Not sure exactly what the question is but I am assuming you mean duck hunting down here. If you come to lake Charles I would gladly take you.
Not sure (if we win) we can make it to Lake Charles but Duck hunting in La would be a great bonus. If it works out I maybe in touch and I will be happy to compensate.

dungeonjoe
November 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM
The entire state of Alabama will be in one of two stadiums Saturday.

JSU02
November 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I'm sure it was just a coincidence the NCAA scheduled the game to begin at 7:00 as not to conflict with the other game of note in the state Saturday.

Samford has made great strides under Sullivan and the Gamecocks have come a long way in Clark's first year. I expect a close game.

As I understand it, the 7PM start time was proposed by us, as part of our very competitive bid.

nick9c
November 24th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Good luck to Samford. Didn't think you'd pull it off against Elon. We owe you!

JaxSinfonian
November 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Want to get a good laugh?

Acquire means of time travel, and head for Samford's Seibert Stadium on Nov. 3, 2007. Explain to fans of either team lamenting the end of their series that the Gamecocks and Bulldogs would next meet in the 2013 playoffs, that Samford would be the second of a two-team contingent from the SoCon that would not include an ineligible, 2-8 Appalachian State squad, that JSU would be the third of a three-team OVC contingent that would include the No. 2 seed, that the game would be played in JSU's 24,000-seat stadium and that the Gamecocks would be led by a coach hired away from the program at South Alabama.

Six years is a long time.

SU DOG
November 24th, 2013, 12:45 PM
No doubt that JSU has one of the very best stadiums in all of FCS. I will admit that I was somewhat surprised to see the Gamecocks selected, but it is the very best outcome for our fans also. I believe that you will see a pretty good number of our fans Saturday Night. It should be a really good ballgame, as this Samford Team is not what you guys remember from the old days when JSU dominated us. Looking forward to my trip to Calhoun County.

JSU02
November 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I heard Samford did not even submit a bid to host.

youwouldno
November 24th, 2013, 12:58 PM

This is fairly common I believe. And of the schools that do bid, most bid the minimum.

FormerPokeCenter
November 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Geaux Samford! I wanna see you guys in the second round game at Cowboy Stadium!

We've played Jacksonville before when they were in the SLC! ;)

SU DOG
November 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM

I think that is true. With the Iron Bowl as competition, our small stadium, and the holidays, it is understandable. Would it have mattered against the better option that JSU(or most other FCS schools) could offer? Probably not. We did average over 8,000 attendance for 3 of our last 4 home games, but that pales in comparison with the JSU figures(keep in mind also the difference in on campus undergrads). I'm not upset with our administration about this issue. Again, we will hopefully surprise you with the good number of fans we will bring. What better scenario could either fan base have?

Cocky
November 24th, 2013, 01:20 PM
The entire state of Alabama will be in one of two stadiums Saturday.
Most will be in Auburn or outside of the stadium. Auburn is already overran with tailgaters, today.

Hopefully, Samford and JSU fans will come to Jville vs Auburn.

swaghook
November 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Going with Samford another hard choice.

dgtw
November 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I wish it was at Samford because it would be a shorter drive for me. But I'll be there, will watch the other game at Jefferson's and then head to the stadium for the main attraction.

I'm glad the NCAA paired us with Samford to help boost attendance (always more fun when the other team brings a crowd) and gave the winner a fairly short trip for the second round.

DrStrangelove
November 24th, 2013, 06:55 PM
JSU has issues on defense, as evidenced by the last two games. But if it's a shoot-out, I give the slightest of edges to the Gamecocks, if only because it's at Burgess-Snow Field. My efforts at providing pre-game analysis for Jacksonville State this season have been wildly off the mark, so it would probably be best to just ignore everything I say.

But as a big-picture kind of guy, I believe this is the best possible scenario for both teams, from a logistical standpoint and I could not be happier to see the Bulldogs make a return to Calhoun County. I know we have both Furman and UTC on some future schedules and it would please me greatly if we could get our old friends from Homewood on the schedule again. Maybe Saturday's game is the catalyst for making that happen.

Apropos of nothing, I have noticed mention of another game taking place in the state on November 30 (my birthday, by the way, and, if you are so inclined, straight cash always makes a nice gift). One involving schools from Auburn and Tuscaloosa. I was unaware either institution still fielded a team, believing the NCAA had stepped in and closed both down for multiple and flagrant rules violations. Can someone help me out? Are these teams any good?

SU DOG
November 24th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Truss has not played since the 2nd quarter of the UTC Game, and I don't know his status for Saturday, but I can't see him being 100%. With another D-Lineman down yesterday, we now have 3 of our 4 front linemen out. And PLEASE, I KNOW that every team has injury problems this time of year, but we are really struggling with this problem. Anyone familiar with our team knows what Fabian Truss means to us.

Big_Fan
November 24th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Truss has not played since the 2nd quarter of the UTC Game, and I don't know his status for Saturday, but I can't see him being 100%. With another D-Lineman down yesterday, we now have 3 of our 4 front linemen out. And PLEASE, I KNOW that every team has injury problems this time of year, but we are really struggling with this problem. Anyone familiar with our team knows what Fabian Truss means to us.

I think JSU will be able to run on Samford. I don't know what the passing game will look like because nobody knows the health of Max (Passing QB)

JSU is ranked 7th nationally in pass efficiency defense. They will slow Samford down, but Samford will likely get some points... still, I don't see it being a shootout. As strange as it is, JSU is better against the pass than the run, and Samford is more of a passing team.

Common opponent is Georgia State, and Samford beat them more impressively on the scoreboard, but was statistically dominated. JSU had 3 turnovers and won in OT, but held the statistical edge. JSU improved a lot as the season went on, but then fell apart at EIU and almost let SEMO come back in what looked to be a blowout.

JSU should be favored, but I don't know by how much. The Gamecocks can be Jeckyl and Hyde... if they bring their "A" game, it could be a beat down. If they don't, Samford could win.

Cocky
November 25th, 2013, 07:32 AM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/jacksonville_state_headed_for.html#incart_river

walliver
November 25th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I think that is true. With the Iron Bowl as competition, our small stadium, and the holidays, it is understandable. Would it have mattered against the better option that JSU(or most other FCS schools) could offer? Probably not. We did average over 8,000 attendance for 3 of our last 4 home games, but that pales in comparison with the JSU figures(keep in mind also the difference in on campus undergrads). I'm not upset with our administration about this issue. Again, we will hopefully surprise you with the good number of fans we will bring. What better scenario could either fan base have?

I would be mad at our administration for not making an effort. Wofford plays in a small stadium, averages around 8000 a game and has had to compete against Clemson-Carolina. We have outbid UNH, UR, and Georgia Southern* to get homes games over the years. The playoffs are great, but a home playoff game is something special.

* GSU's much beloved former AD assumed his team would make a quick exit and didn't bid on the third round game.

Cocky
November 26th, 2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/key_players_could_miss_fcs_pla.html#incart_river

Cocky
November 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM
http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/cherokee_county/jsu-football-gamecocks-host-samford-in-football-championship-subdivision-playoffs/article_eb5bd63e-5528-11e3-a6d6-001a4bcf6878.html

longtimemocfan
November 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Should be a fun game to watch. When fully healthy Samford was probably be the best team in the conference. When Summerlin gets on a roll he can put up video like numbers. Look forward to seeing our games with Jax.St.

Sir William
November 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Looking at the bracket...IF Samford is healthy and Truss is at full speed and Summerlin is on his game, I could see the Bulldogs advancing at least as far as the final eight.

Will be rooting for our SoCon brethren in Alabama this weekend!

SU DOG
November 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Looking at the bracket...IF Samford is healthy and Truss is at full speed and Summerlin is on his game, I could see the Bulldogs advancing at least as far as the final eight.

Will be rooting for our SoCon brethren in Alabama this weekend!

Thanks Sir W. Unfortunately, Samford is really banged up, but I think JSU has a few injuries also, just not as crucial. I expect a very competitive game. Oddsmakers now have JSU as 2.5 point favorite. Good luck to the Paladins also!!

Cocky
November 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Coach Clark Presser
http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/news/2013/11/25/FB_1125131653.aspx?path=football (http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/news/2013/11/25/FB_1125131653.aspx?path=football)

Cocky
November 29th, 2013, 11:51 AM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/for_kelsey_and_kyle_pope_the_s.html

PanthersBlue
November 30th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Good luck JSU

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Guess no one else is watching this game? Jacksonville State is rolling easily 24-0 over Samford right now with 7:30 still to play in the first half.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM
No Fabian Truss. No Chris Cephus. No Kelsey Pope. No chance.

robsnotes4u
November 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
14 yards?

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Guess no one else is watching this game? Jacksonville State is rolling easily 24-0 over Samford right now with 7:30 still to play in the first half.

Been keeping an eye on it, but it ain't much of a game.
31-0

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Another rushing touchdown. 31-0 Gamecocks

- - - Updated - - -

Samford responds by fumbling the kickoff and will start inside their own 15.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Pat Sullivan won the Heisman Trophy

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM
WTH is going on in this game.. Samford is getting blown.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Samford goes nowhere and will have to punt from their own 13 with 2:11 left in the first half. Gamecocks call timeout to leave time on the clock for another drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Now it's a party.

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I had samford winning, good thing they lose the next game...

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Brown takes the punt for Jacksonville and returns it all the way down to the Samford 18-yard line.

- - - Updated - - -

Penalty for holding and Jax State starts off at the 40.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Miles Jones runs it in from 13-yards out for another Jax State touchdown.

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 08:41 PM
38-0 at half.... I'm glad the socon got multiple bids lol.

SU DOG
November 30th, 2013, 08:42 PM

Good question. JSU is good, but we look like a D-3 team.

robsnotes4u
November 30th, 2013, 08:45 PM
ESPN says 17 yards in the first half, is that right? I mean holy *****

GATA_Eagles
November 30th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Am I reading it right that Samford has 17 yards of offense?

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah, a lot of moving backwards or nowhere on drives.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 08:51 PM
And they just called Delaware the Mud Hens... That's a Toledo minor league baseball team... Sheesh.

UNHknowledge
November 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Didn't see this result coming. Well done JSU; I'm not expecting a 38pt second half come back. Now this is the OVC officially breaking that dreaded losing streak. I just can't count that Butler beat down by TSU, just like I'm not that proud of UNH's convincing victory over 5-7 Lafayette. But boy, this game is a legitimate statement being made by the OVC.

chattanoogamocs
November 30th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Apparently announcers did not see TSU game earlier today.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:04 PM
First play of the second half, Brown rushes 68-yards for a JaxSt touchdown.

- - - Updated - - -

Extra point is good, 45-0.

Twentysix
At what point does the game get called off? Playoffs mercy rule? xcoffeex

superman7515
A full 23 seconds into the 3rd quarter. Their last two scoring drives have combined for over 100 yards and fewer than 60 seconds.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Total yardage is JSU 428, Samford 22. Just an embarrassing performance by Samford. Credit has to be given to JSU but this is just a complete mail in by Samford.

ElCid
November 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Wow, Samford has seriously given up. They look totally uninterested with no effort. Pretty sad commentary on them if so. Sure they may have a couple key players down, but if they were so dependent upon them, they have no depth.

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I'm glad the socon got that at-large, clearly samford was more deserving than YSU and UNI.

Bisonator
November 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I'm glad the socon got that at-large, clearly samford was more deserving than YSU and UNI.

Heck Chatty would have put up a better fight!

chattanoogamocs
November 30th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Dang, why couldn't they have laid this egg last week vs Elon?

The Mocs could have been hosting Tenn St at Finley Stadium today...which would have been a much more entertaining game this game and TSU at Butler.

ElCid
November 30th, 2013, 09:21 PM

I always thought Chatty was more deserving. The OT head to head did them in. Everyone has seen this sort of thing before. A snowball effect and one team gives up. I don't think anyone who saw Samford play Ga St, SELA, Arkansas, or Ga So thought they were not deserving. And I am sure it does not mean the SOCON wasn't deserving. But it sure is embarrassing.

youwouldno
November 30th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Dang, why couldn't they have laid this egg last week vs Elon?

The Mocs could have been hosting Tenn St at Finley Stadium today...which would have been a much more entertaining game this game and TSU at Butler.

They kinda did lay this same egg, it was just against Elon, who was horrible.

chattanoogamocs
November 30th, 2013, 09:25 PM
They kinda did lay this same egg, it was just against Elon, who was horrible.

True, if JSU was playing Elon right now...it would probably be 70-0.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Samford fumbles and recovered by Jax State inside the 25.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:28 PM
JSU hits the 47-yard field goal with plenty to spare, 48-7 Jax State.

GoCats23
November 30th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Samford hits the 47-yard field goal with plenty to spare, 48-7 Jax State.

This was confusing as can be. Jax St hit the field goal.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Haha, sorry about that.

chattanoogamocs
November 30th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Look down, look down
Don’t look ‘em in the eye
Look down, look down,
You’re here until you die

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Jax State needs to purchase some new uniforms. The nose tackle is wearing a smedium and the only thing covered is his nips.

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I had samford winning this one close 21-17. Don't know what I was thinking. The only one that I got wrong too. It disappointing to see the seniors go out on a embarrassing blowout loss like this..

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I had samford winning this one close 21-17. Don't know what I was thinking. The only one that I got wrong too. It disappointing to see the seniors go out on a embarrassing blowout loss like this..

I had 24-21 Samford. I was cray.

chattanoogamocs
November 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Same here, I just had it higher scoring...34-31

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Fourth quarter is starting and Samford has only crossed the 50-yard line once. Expect the backups to start playing a larger role for JaxSt.

ElCid
November 30th, 2013, 09:45 PM

I think a lot of folks had it close. I had JSU by 3 in my bracket but I hedged and picked Samford on Clenz, oops. This, this is nuts anyway you slice it.

chattanoogamocs
November 30th, 2013, 09:45 PM
OVC is crazy this year...with so many lopsided wins/losses. Seems like any of the top 3 teams has the ability, if clicking on all cylinders, to put up big points (or give up big point, EIU excluded).

I mean, you have 3 worthy playoff teams and yet...

EIU scored 52 on JSU (winning by 38)
JSU scored 68 on EKU (winning by 58)
EKU scored 44 on TSU (winning 44-0)
and TSU scored 31 on JSU (winning by 15)

SCPALADIN
November 30th, 2013, 09:46 PM
This, this is nuts anyway you slice it.

Spot on. I never imagined this game getting away from Samford so quickly. Ugly.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Fordham was ineligible for the Pioneer League title this season, but still made the playoffs. Kudos to them.

chattanoogamocs
November 30th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Fordham was ineligible for the Pioneer League title this season, but still made the playoffs. Kudos to them.

Eh...he was close, they both start with a P...also, JSU is still trying to break the OVC's 19 game playoff losing streak.

SCPALADIN
November 30th, 2013, 10:02 PM

Patriot?

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Patriot?

Talking about the announcers. So far...

The Delaware Mud Hens lost the 2010 title but still finished first in many of the major polls. - Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
The OVC hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade and is 0 for their last 19. - Tennessee State won a few hours ago
The Fordham Rams were ineligible for the Pioneer League title this season, but were still eligible for the FCS playoffs, which made for a weird season. - Fordham is in the Patriot League

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Now trying to decide if the punter kicked the ball from the 27 and it goes out at the 1, is that 68 yards or 84 yards?

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Samford fumbles the handoff in their own end zone, Robert Gray recovers for the Jax State touchdown.

- - - Updated - - -

And the extra point is good. 55-7 Jax State.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Jax State forces the punt, but the returner is run into by his own teammate and fumbles. Samford recovers and crosses the 50 for only the second time today with 5:25 remaining in the game.

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 10:23 PM
After the fumble recovery, Samford breaks out the trickeration and uses 3 trick plays to get another TD. 55-14 Jax State

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2013, 10:49 PM
this is surprising... no? not who won but the margin of victory

Cocky
November 30th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Now trying to decide if the punter kicked the ball from the 27 and it goes out at the 1, is that 68 yards or 84 yards?
He had a 86 yarder early this season.

Cocky
November 30th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Injuries have really hurt us this year. Only 1 starting WR left and a couple of OLs out for the year. Starting QB still out but dressing. Fairly pleased with our first year coach so far.

DrStrangelove
November 30th, 2013, 11:55 PM
First post-season victory for the Gamecocks since winning the NCAA Division II National title in 1992. In three previous trips to the FCS playoffs, JSU lost big on the road to Western Kentucky (2003) and Furman (2004) and lost close to at home to Wofford (2010). So the Gamecocks made a little history tonight.

Next up is McNeese State, the only Southland team JSU never defeated during its tenure in that conference. Maybe Jacksonville State has caught some late-season lightning in a bottle and can exorcise that demon in Lake Charles next Saturday.

robsnotes4u
December 1st, 2013, 12:09 AM
First post-season victory for the Gamecocks since winning the NCAA Division II National title in 1992. In three previous trips to the FCS playoffs, JSU lost big on the road to Western Kentucky (2003) and Furman (2004) and lost close to at home to Wofford (2010). So the Gamecocks made a little history tonight.

Next up is McNeese State, the only Southland team JSU never defeated during its tenure in that conference. Maybe Jacksonville State has caught some late-season lightning in a bottle and can exorcise that demon in Lake Charles next Saturday.

congratulations to your team, i picked them to win but not that easily.

JaxSinfonian
December 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM
Maybe Jacksonville State has caught some late-season lightning in a bottle and can exorcise that demon in Lake Charles next Saturday.

Demons are in Natchitoches. The Gamecocks exorcised them long ago, but perhaps JSU can finally unhorse the Cowboys on Saturday. I wish they could have saved some of last night's scoring for next week.