November 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Discuss

IBleedYellow
November 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Fargo is ready.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

thirdgendin
November 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
A rematch of our first I-AA playoff game, a 17-0 home loss in 1982.

It appears that SC State has a great defense. They allow only 80 ypg on the ground and have 62 SACKS! Wow. That's incredible.

eaglewraith
November 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
A rematch of our first I-AA playoff game, a 17-0 home loss in 1982.

It appears that SC State has a great defense. They allow only 80 ypg on the ground and have 62 SACKS! Wow. That's incredible.

The MEAC is extremely pass happy. That's the reason there's inflated run defense and sack stats. They were statistically the #1 run defense in the country when we played in 2010 and we gashed them all over. Not saying that's the case this year, but the stats from the MEAC can be misleading a little bit.

hebmskebm
November 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Interesting how SCSU got the home game even though Bethune won their conference.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
With these brackets supposed to regionally optimized, how is it that so many SoCon teams have gone to the Fargo Dome the past several years? How is it Samford gets to be in McNeese State's play-in game while Furman is in NDSU's?xeyebrowx

nick9c
November 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Seems like SC State has a nice run defense. I haven't looked to see what kind of offense they run. We are a pretty balanced offense, but have had more success passing over the past few games with the return of our starting QB Reese Hannon. Our secondary has improved signficantly over the past year - we are a very young team. Our weakness on D is probably our interior DL - we are young and just don't have a lot of size. We've had injuries all season at various positions.

catamount man
November 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Good luck Paladins!

youwouldno
November 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Both teams have been stronger on the defensive side. It is hard to tell much from MEAC stats. Coastal Carolina is a common opponent; both teams lost by a TD (though FU played at CCU while SC St was at home). Coastal ran better against SC State and passed better against Furman.

The computer rankings tend to favor SC State, though that doesn't really take into account Furman playing a lot better now than at times earlier this season. I think the Paladins have a slight edge based on where the teams are now.

superman7515
November 24th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Interesting how SCSU got the home game even though Bethune won their conference.

Based on $$$ bids.

R.A.
November 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Two teams that are evenly matched.

IBleedYellow
November 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
With these brackets supposed to regionally optimized, how is it that so many SoCon teams have gone to the Fargo Dome the past several years? How is it Samford gets to be in McNeese State's play-in game while Furman is in NDSU's?xeyebrowx

Pretty sure we bitched enough about SDSU last year that they realized they shouldn't do that again ;)

But in all seriousness, I was 100% ready to be playing SDSU in two weeks, now that this isn't happening, I'm very pumped for the playoffs this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2013, 01:26 PM

That doesn't make any difference at all if one of the teams is not a seed.

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Paladins...... Looking forward to Furman coming to Fargo! Will have wine/cheese on hand! :D

nick9c
November 24th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Paladins...... Looking forward to Furman coming to Fargo! Will have wine/cheese on hand! :D

We know you guys aren't too far from Wisconsin, but we only expect the finest brie to go along with our Cab. SC State is no slouch team, so I'll only look forward to it once we take care of business on Saturday.

Just remember, we are a pushover team with 7-5 record, and only 2 wins against winning opponents. The Bison have nothing to fear. We hung with LSU for one half, but then got blown out in the second.

eaglewraith
November 24th, 2013, 02:30 PM
We know you guys aren't too far from Wisconsin, but we only expect the finest brie to go along with our Cab. SC State is no slouch team, so I'll only look forward to it once we take care of business on Saturday.

Just remember, we are a pushover team with 7-5 record, and only 2 wins against winning opponents. The Bison have nothing to fear. We hung with LSU for one half, but then got blown out in the second.

ButtLSU? :)

marenlee
November 24th, 2013, 02:32 PM
ButtLSU? :)

Wraith, do you have a larger version of your avatar or a link? I need to share that with my gator fans around here.

eaglewraith
November 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Wraith, do you have a larger version of your avatar or a link? I need to share that with my gator fans around here.

Figured I wouldn't embed it so it wouldn't take over the game thread.

http://i.imgur.com/8OPX5to.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Do not know much about either team.

Someone from these 2 teams give a break down of the match-up.

centennial
November 24th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Southern is having a poor year and on the other side is MEAC team. MEAC will still lose by 2 touchdowns.

youwouldno
November 24th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I think South Carolina St's defense is legitimately solid. Massey has that unit rated #11 in FCS, which seems a bit high but underscores the fact it isn't purely a MEAC creation (since Massey adjusts for the strength of opposing offenses). They held Coastal Carolina to their lowest point total of the year aside from South Carolina. Their offense is another story. They only managed 143 yards against Bethune-Cookman and their overall yards-per-play numbers are poor, especially on the ground. I haven't actually seen them play, so those thoughts are just based on what we see on paper.

Furman's defense is playing pretty well. They aren't super disruptive, but play hard and make good adjustments. The offense has been up and down, partially due to injuries. If they get into a rhythm early, I could see the Paladins taking control for the duration, but I also wouldn't be surprised by a back-and-forth grind without a lot of scoring.

ejjones
November 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM
SCSU stats are overrated...their defense is avg at best. You should have all day to throw the football. SCSU only plays in the MEAC, so should be an easy win for Furman.

On a side note: I wouldn't put a lot of credence on stats from the CCU game (first of season).

Should be a good crowd; minimum 15K In attendance...hoping for more like 17-20k.

eaglewraith
November 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I think South Carolina St's defense is legitimately solid. Massey has that unit rated #11 in FCS, which seems a bit high but underscores the fact it isn't purely a MEAC creation (since Massey adjusts for the strength of opposing offenses). They held Coastal Carolina to their lowest point total of the year aside from South Carolina. Their offense is another story. They only managed 143 yards against Bethune-Cookman and their overall yards-per-play numbers are poor, especially on the ground. I haven't actually seen them play, so those thoughts are just based on what we see on paper.

Furman's defense is playing pretty well. They aren't super disruptive, but play hard and make good adjustments. The offense has been up and down, partially due to injuries. If they get into a rhythm early, I could see the Paladins taking control for the duration, but I also wouldn't be surprised by a back-and-forth grind without a lot of scoring.

After SCSU came into Paulson with the #1 ranked rush defense in the country and we destroyed them on both sides of the ball from the first snap, I wouldn't put much stock in the rankings. Yes they may be normalized, but the MEAC just doesn't run the ball like the rest of the country. That's what produces a lot of those stats.

Bison56
November 24th, 2013, 04:34 PM
After SCSU came into Paulson with the #1 ranked rush defense in the country and we destroyed them on both sides of the ball from the first snap, I wouldn't put much stock in the rankings. Yes they may be normalized, but the MEAC just doesn't run the ball like the rest of the country. That's what produces a lot of those stats.
Avatar of the century. Very nice.

youwouldno
November 24th, 2013, 04:39 PM
SC State wasn't very good in 2010 when they faced GSU, rated by Massey as #63 in FCS and #45 in defense. A year earlier, they were rated #19 in FCS and lost 20-13 in the first round to a very solid App St team.

This year's SC State team is in between, at #37, but as I said Massey has their defense at #11. There's no particular reason to think that is wildly wrong.

taper
November 24th, 2013, 04:44 PM
With these brackets supposed to regionally optimized, how is it that so many SoCon teams have gone to the Fargo Dome the past several years?

Because they won earlier games? GSU twice in the semis and Wofford in the quarters isn't really regionalization.

I want Furman in Fargo. They're a past champion.

PaladinNation
November 24th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Because they won earlier games? GSU twice in the semis and Wofford in the quarters isn't really regionalization.

Not looking past SCST… this is a matchup that IMO should happen far more often, and thankful will start back soon.

But I love the fact that Furman has a chance to go to Fargo. I like NDSU they remind me of the high-powered Furman teams of old.
This Furman team is dangerous, could they lay an egg in Orangeburg, yes. Could we get our asses whipped in Fargo yes. Could the Paladins put a scare in the Bison, yes.

Furman is playing with nothing to lose, and for 40 + freshmen this is going to be a great experience.

ejjones
November 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM
SC State wasn't very good in 2010 when they faced GSU, rated by Massey as #63 in FCS and #45 in defense. A year earlier, they were rated #19 in FCS and lost 20-13 in the first round to a very solid App St team.

This year's SC State team is in between, at #37, but as I said Massey has their defense at #11. There's no particular reason to think that is wildly wrong.

You've done your HW; great point wrt 2010. We were terrible then, our better team was the year before that gave app st the game with a block FG that ended up as a TD. Most SCSU supporters didn't want a playoff berth that year as we were not ready. This yr, most are on the fence. Our D alone is good enough to keep us in any game. If our offense shows up, who knows...

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Furman will be a tough draw for anyone. They do well the things you need to do to win late in the season against good teams - basic blocking and tackling, force turnovers, hold onto the football, solid special teams play.

I think one thing that makes Furman particularly tough is they have to only reach about the 40 yard line to score. Hard to underestimate how valuable a player K Ray Early is.

ElCid
November 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM

I think SC St is a good team. I had them near the bottom of my rankings, but not sure they deserved an actual playoff spot. No cheerleader, but they did get 241 yards against Clemson. And as my Bulldogs found out, they are a defensive machine. But poor on the ground in that game as well. I watched part of that game and they did move the ball against them through the air better than I expected, early.

PaladinNation
November 24th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Actually I would say that part of the reason for the turnaround has been the aggressiveness of the defense. First half against the Terriers the Paladins were back on their heels a bit. The second half the Furman defense took it to them.

You can say the same thing with the second half offense against the Terriers, Furman's four wide package - the Terriers had no answers. I'm just not sure Furman at this moment is the weak team that some are describing.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM

They split the title.

thirdgendin
November 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM
If you look at the season stats (total offense, total defense, etc.) Furman is VERY underwhelming. The difference in winning games this year has been turnover margin (+13) and red zone scoring (1st in the SoCon on offense and defense). The Paladins D has given up yards in chunks but really buckled down the closer a team gets to the goal line (see ASU and Samford games). It's the classic bend but don't break defense that is very opportunistic this season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM
If you look at the season stats (total offense, total defense, etc.) Furman is VERY underwhelming. The difference in winning games this year has been turnover margin (+13) and red zone scoring (1st in the SoCon on offense and defense). The Paladins D has given up yards in chunks but really buckled down the closer a team gets to the goal line (see ASU and Samford games). It's the classic bend but don't break defense that is very opportunistic this season.

Look at scoring defense and look at red zone defense for Furman. Furman is in the top 20 IIRC in scoring D and 2nd in red zone defense.

Herder
November 24th, 2013, 09:09 PM
The NCAA tries to regionalize, but usually the Big Sky is exempt from what I've seen from 2010 on. When's the last time there was a 2nd round matchup between MT, MT State, or EWU. IMO, NAU got jobbed and Montana got their seed. MT should be getting a 2nd round matchup with their regional foe EWU. Seems like someone is looking out for Montana.

IMO, SDSU could have made a run at the title in 2012, until the NCAA committee decided to send them to their rival in the 2nd round. Now, that never happens to MT/MT State . . . just sayin.

Truefan
November 24th, 2013, 10:39 PM
All that matters is the game, you can throw the stats out the window.
Which team is hungry to win , which coaching staff has their team ready and which team makes the fewest mistakes will win the game.
xlolx

Southern Bison
November 24th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I'm going to roll down to Orangeburg for the game...I'm looking forward to the matchup after seeing Furman in person last week and SC State on TV a couple times this season. Any Paladin & Bulldog AGSers - keep an eye out for some NDSU Green & Yellow and stop by to say hello or PM me here and I'll meet up with you at your tailgate.

youwouldno
November 24th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Actually I would say that part of the reason for the turnaround has been the aggressiveness of the defense. First half against the Terriers the Paladins were back on their heels a bit. The second half the Furman defense took it to them.

You can say the same thing with the second half offense against the Terriers, Furman's four wide package - the Terriers had no answers. I'm just not sure Furman at this moment is the weak team that some are describing.

The playoffs aren't the same as beating teams like Wofford. South Carolina St is far better, and the top seeds are orders of magnitude better. As Furman fans we should definitely be happy with how the season has developed and the direction Fowler is taking the program... but the Paladins are undeniably underdogs within the playoff field.

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2013, 11:16 PM

http://michaelfoody.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/franzia.jpg

+

http://www.tlloh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ritz_crackers.jpg

+

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mHJpZ5DIL5jXcdxtUzFD4zA.jpg

=

PARTY?!?!?!

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Look at scoring defense and look at red zone defense for Furman. Furman is in the top 20 IIRC in scoring D and 2nd in red zone defense.

Right, you kind of have to look beyond the traditional numbers. Furman was top of the conference in red zone offense, red zone defense, and among the nations leaders in turnover margin.

This is not the 2004 or 2005 team, though. They are gritty, but they are aren't going to wow you in any single area.

thirdgendin
November 25th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Right, you kind of have to look beyond the traditional numbers. Furman was top of the conference in red zone offense, red zone defense, and among the nations leaders in turnover margin.

This is not the 2004 or 2005 team, though. They are gritty, but they are aren't going to wow you in any single area.

Agreed. Those were my points exactly. This team is high on those winning intangibles that are hard to quantify in numerical statistics.

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Agreed. Those were my points exactly. This team is high on those winning intangibles that are hard to quantify in numerical statistics.

The numbers remind me a bit of last year's Falcon's team. Bottom of the NFL in total defense, but top 5 in points allowed. Really, the goal of a defense is to keep you from scoring regardless of how many yards you manage. I think App State had something like 500 yards on Furman's defense and (barely) managed 10 points. That's incredible when you think about it.

BisonHype!
November 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Noted. Deja-Vu?

Mountaineer
November 25th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I really enjoyed the two KBS appearances SC State made in 2008 and 2009. Pretty solid teams, great group of fans to interact with, and of course, the band.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see the Bulldogs get over the hump against Purple. xthumbsupx It's all downhill at NDSU the following week anyway. xlolx

SpeedkingATL
November 25th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I have a lot of respect for the SC State teams that came to App for the playoffs and I would expect this one to be no different. Furman had to be the biggest positive surprise in the SoCon this year and they have been on a roll. I expect the SC State fans will be ready for a rumble as they are great fans. I expect a pretty tight defense dominated game but hope the Furples prevail.

walliver
November 25th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I really enjoyed the two KBS appearances SC State made in 2008 and 2009. Pretty solid teams, great group of fans to interact with, and of course, the band.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see the Bulldogs get over the hump against Purple. xthumbsupx It's all downhill at NDSU the following week anyway. xlolx

If we keep sending teams to Fargo, eventually we will win a game.

On the other hand, SoCon teams don't fare well in the frozen north with only one win in Missoula.

Mountaineer
November 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM

On the other hand, SoCon teams don't fare well in the frozen north with only one win in Missoula.

Probably not this year. :D

That was a great win for Wofford, and it also kept App hosting at home in 2007. xthumbsupx I wish App would have been able to pick up at least one win in Missoula, but having two playoff appearances come down to the last play ain't bad.

B&G
November 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Saw both of these teams quite a bit this year. SCSU has a legit defense... or at least they looked good against Coastal, Bethune and as good as can be expected against Clemson. The Coastal loss was due to poor special teams play. They couldn't get anything going on offense against B-C. Ultimately, I see Furman winning because they are the more fundamentally sound team. I do not trust SCSU QB Richard Cue. He can tend to be a turnover machine. But if Furman lets SCSU hang around, then they could be in trouble. Also look out for SCSU WR Tyler McDonald. I'm pretty sure he became the school's all-time leading WR this year. He is a big play threat who had multiple 50+ yard TD's this year. And I think his best game came against Clemson so don't think he just piled on stats versus the poor MEAC squads. SCSU has a defense built on speed. They have playmakers but they can be worn down if you play good ball control offense.

I think Furman matches up well with SCSU and do believe the difference will be special teams and Richard Cue's inconsistency. Will be rooting for the Bulldogs though.

ElCid
November 25th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Saw both of these teams quite a bit this year. SCSU has a legit defense... or at least they looked good against Coastal, Bethune and as good as can be expected against Clemson. The Coastal loss was due to poor special teams play. They couldn't get anything going on offense against B-C. Ultimately, I see Furman winning because they are the more fundamentally sound team. I do not trust SCSU QB Richard Cue. He can tend to be a turnover machine. But if Furman lets SCSU hang around, then they could be in trouble. Also look out for SCSU WR Tyler McDonald. I'm pretty sure he became the school's all-time leading WR this year. He is a big play threat who had multiple 50+ yard TD's this year. And I think his best game came against Clemson so don't think he just piled on stats versus the poor MEAC squads. SCSU has a defense built on speed. They have playmakers but they can be worn down if you play good ball control offense.

I think Furman matches up well with SCSU and do believe the difference will be special teams and Richard Cue's inconsistency. Will be rooting for the Bulldogs though.

All great points. Furman is on a roll, but the SC St D is for real. I like Furman in a close one. Furman has been giving up yards but not a lot of points. Their red zone D has been good.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2013, 11:23 PM

Not too frozen in the Fargodome.

All kidding aside. I'm traveling this weekend and will not be able to see ANY games this weekend. So bummed.

Twentysix
November 26th, 2013, 12:46 AM
I hope Furman wins... one of my profs is a Furman grad.

MTfan4life
November 26th, 2013, 04:50 AM
The NCAA tries to regionalize, but usually the Big Sky is exempt from what I've seen from 2010 on. When's the last time there was a 2nd round matchup between MT, MT State, or EWU. IMO, NAU got jobbed and Montana got their seed. MT should be getting a 2nd round matchup with their regional foe EWU. Seems like someone is looking out for Montana.

IMO, SDSU could have made a run at the title in 2012, until the NCAA committee decided to send them to their rival in the 2nd round. Now, that never happens to MT/MT State . . . just sayin.

JFC. That happened once to NDSU. It's happened before for Montana. In 2005, Montana played Cal Poly in the first round, a team they had played a month before that. In 2008, Montana faced a second round matchup against the winner of Weber State/Cal Poly. Both teams they played that season. (Ended up being conference co-champ Weber State.) In 2002, if Montana State would have beaten Mcneese in the first round, they would have faced Montana in the quarterfinals. There hasn't been a season after expansion where the two would have even had a chance to play as either they have both been a seed or one of the two has been out of the playoffs. You say since 2010, well here's what's happened. In 2010, there were 2 Big Sky teams and they were both seeds, so not possible to play, although they were matched up to face in the quarters. In 2011, both teams had first round byes. In 2012, Montana State and Eastern Washington were both seeded and Cal Poly had a first round bye. It was impossible to match up those teams in that period under any circumstance. Also, in that time, two Valley teams have faced each other once. So don't act as if it's some all-time pattern. In fact, since 2003, only TWICE have two teams from the Valley faced at any time in the playoffs. So that means in 152 games, only twice has it happened. Yeah, that's pretty unfair for the MVFC!

You can keep saying that Montana lucked into the seed because of the head to head, but looking beyond that game as the season is more than just one game. Montana beat State by 2 touchdowns, NAU lost by 29. Both games in Bozeman, 43 point difference. NAU snuck by UC-Davis, winning by 11 off two defensive 4th quarter touchdowns. Montana slaughtered UC-Davis by 35. Both of those games were road games as well. One team performed much better than the other in both. So that's three games there, NAU clearly did better in one of them and Montana clearly did better in two.

citdog
November 26th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I hope Furman wins... one of my profs is a Furman grad.

Ask him if he needs a horse murdered

Twentysix
November 26th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Ask him if he needs a horse murdered

Uhh... nah..

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2013, 06:29 AM
JFC. That happened once to NDSU. It's happened before for Montana. In 2005, Montana played Cal Poly in the first round, a team they had played a month before that. In 2008, Montana faced a second round matchup against the winner of Weber State/Cal Poly. Both teams they played that season. (Ended up being conference co-champ Weber State.) In 2002, if Montana State would have beaten Mcneese in the first round, they would have faced Montana in the quarterfinals. There hasn't been a season after expansion where the two would have even had a chance to play as either they have both been a seed or one of the two has been out of the playoffs. You say since 2010, well here's what's happened. In 2010, there were 2 Big Sky teams and they were both seeds, so not possible to play, although they were matched up to face in the quarters. In 2011, both teams had first round byes. In 2012, Montana State and Eastern Washington were both seeded and Cal Poly had a first round bye. It was impossible to match up those teams in that period under any circumstance. Also, in that time, two Valley teams have faced each other once. So don't act as if it's some all-time pattern. In fact, since 2003, only TWICE have two teams from the Valley faced at any time in the playoffs. So that means in 152 games, only twice has it happened. Yeah, that's pretty unfair for the MVFC!

You can keep saying that Montana lucked into the seed because of the head to head, but looking beyond that game as the season is more than just one game. Montana beat State by 2 touchdowns, NAU lost by 29. Both games in Bozeman, 43 point difference. NAU snuck by UC-Davis, winning by 11 off two defensive 4th quarter touchdowns. Montana slaughtered UC-Davis by 35. Both of those games were road games as well. One team performed much better than the other in both. So that's three games there, NAU clearly did better in one of them and Montana clearly did better in two.

You can try an rationalize Montana's seed over NAU all you want. The fact is NAU should have been seeded above Montana. Better conference record and head-to-head win trumps any garbage you are trying to defend.

MTfan4life
November 26th, 2013, 07:35 AM
You can try an rationalize Montana's seed over NAU all you want. The fact is NAU should have been seeded above Montana. Better conference record and head-to-head win trumps any garbage you are trying to defend.

Lol, I like how breaking down things game by game is garbage, but using arbitrary conference records in a conference where not every one plays each other is not garbage. NAU did not play the number one team in the conference. The combined record of the conference teams Montana played is 38-26. The combined record of NAU's conference opponents was 28-36. You can't compare the two records as if their conference schedule was equal. Sometimes you have to step below the surface when thinking critically.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Lol, I like how breaking down things game by game is garbage, but using arbitrary conference records in a conference where not every one plays each other is not garbage. NAU did not play the number one team in the conference. The combined record of the conference teams Montana played is 38-26. The combined record of NAU's conference opponents was 28-36. You can't compare the two records as if their conference schedule was equal. Sometimes you have to step below the surface when thinking critically.

Really?

Better conference record and head-to-head win trumps anything you have brought to the table....IMO.

Sir William
November 26th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I thought this was the "Furman/SC State" thread. Take the NAU discussion to the NAU thread, if you don't mind.

Bison56
November 26th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I thought this was the "Furman/SC State" thread. Take the NAU discussion to the NAU thread, if you don't mind.
You would think with the title Furman at South Carolina State.
Come on here to see a discussion on 2 teams i am not all that familar with and see the same BS thats in every thread.xbangx

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2013, 08:20 AM
You would think with the title Furman at South Carolina State.
Come on here to see a discussion on 2 teams i am not all that familar with and see the same BS thats in every thread.xbangx

I do hope Furman gets a crack at NDSU. The Bison have had their hands full with the last two SoCon teams they've faced in Fargo, and unlike GSU last year, Furman actually has a guy that can kick a football.

While there's not a lot of benefits of playing LSU on the road, I imagine it helps a young team get over playing in a tough road environment. One thing I've noticed about this Furman team all season is they don't get too up, and don't get too down. Good mental makeup for a playoff team. I'm just glad to see them get their shot.

MTfan4life
November 26th, 2013, 08:48 AM
This is a battle between two teams who have been putting up very impressive defensive numbers over the last month. Could this one end up being first one to 20 wins?

Southern Bison
November 26th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I do hope Furman gets a crack at NDSU. The Bison have had their hands full with the last two SoCon teams they've faced in Fargo, and unlike GSU last year, Furman actually has a guy that can kick a football.

While there's not a lot of benefits of playing LSU on the road, I imagine it helps a young team get over playing in a tough road environment. One thing I've noticed about this Furman team all season is they don't get too up, and don't get too down. Good mental makeup for a playoff team. I'm just glad to see them get their shot.

I like the idea of hosting a former champ as well and it looks like we could host/play all 3 other former NC winners. Furman looked solid last week against Wofford in the 2nd half after they made good adjustments at halftime. Furman's front 4 will need to get some serious drive into the Bulldog backfield and the Furman secondary will need to be on it's toes for all 60 minutes this weekend. Last week, Furman's secondary looked susceptible and got beat by Wofford's "passing attack" a few times.

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I like the idea of hosting a former champ as well and it looks like we could host/play all 3 other former NC winners. Furman looked solid last week against Wofford in the 2nd half after they made good adjustments at halftime. Furman's front 4 will need to get some serious drive into the Bulldog backfield and the Furman secondary will need to be on it's toes for all 60 minutes this weekend. Last week, Furman's secondary looked susceptible and got beat by Wofford's "passing attack" a few times.

Those option teams will do that to you. Most of the time the knockout punch comes via the pass, not the run.

Furman is still very young on defense. 8 of the backups to the starting 11 are freshman, not to mention numerous freshmen that are starters. One noticeable difference in the past few years, though, is that they are a much better tackling team top to bottom.

As I mentioned earlier, though, no one is accusing Furman of being a shutdown defense. Teams can get yards against them. Opponents have just had trouble scoring.

SCPALADIN
November 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Rumor has it that SC State is trying to cover their bid for a home game by charging $20 to park on campus for the game. If true, this is absolutely awful. If one improvement needs to be made for the FCS playoffs it is the awful bidding process for a home game.

walliver
November 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Rumor has it that SC State is trying to cover their bid for a home game by charging $20 to park on campus for the game. If true, this is absolutely awful. If one improvement needs to be made for the FCS playoffs it is the awful bidding process for a home game.

$20 isn't that high for parking. People will pay a lot more to park in Columbia this weekend.

The real issue is that SCSU, a school in financial turmoil, outbid FU.

I can't remember the last time the SoCon had no first round home games.

nick9c
November 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I was surprised we didn't bid more than a minimum, especially with our new facilities. If I were Furman, I would charge for playoff parking on campus, at least for the closer lots - $5 to $10 won't kill most Furman supporters, especially if it would guarantee a home playoff game.

rokamortis
November 26th, 2013, 12:45 PM

They charge for parking during the regular season.

rokamortis
November 26th, 2013, 12:50 PM

They charge for parking during the regular season - although not $20.

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2013, 02:05 PM
$20 isn't that high for parking. People will pay a lot more to park in Columbia this weekend.

The real issue is that SCSU, a school in financial turmoil, outbid FU.

I can't remember the last time the SoCon had no first round home games.

This is not new for Furman. I think it was 2004 Furman was arguably the best team in the country and had one home playoff game. The bidding process is just a money loser for them, particularly in round 1 over Thanksgiving.

Bison56
November 26th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Anyone have any good links for either team that has good info? Vids, player info, stats etc. Thanks in advance.

ElCid
November 26th, 2013, 10:14 PM
They charge for parking during the regular season - although not $20.

Point of reference…The Citadel charges $10 for those off the street in general parking for normal home games. Any other references? Just curious.

ejjones
November 26th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Really? Folks will start and perpetuate anything. $20/car? Are you seriously complaining? If you're worried about parking fees then you probably shouldn't be at the game--just saying. USC charges for parking...it's a brilliant idea. SCSU charges for parking that actually gets you fairly close to the stadium and it's awful or some ploy to cover their bid; although we've been charging & requiring folks who enter the gamezone to have a tix for the game for years.

Atleast you admitted, "rumor has it..."; unfortunately, you admitted something.

rokamortis
November 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Point of reference…The Citadel charges $10 for those off the street in general parking for normal home games. Any other references? Just curious.

At Coastal, donors who have season tickets get a parking pass in one of three classifications depending on donation mount. There is general parking that is free and is a bit of a walk - but the also provide free shuttle bus service to/from the stadium.

I-85 Paladin
November 27th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Anyone have any good links for either team that has good info? Vids, player info, stats etc. Thanks in advance.

Can only speak for Furman:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Furman26Paladins/videos

Message Board is http://www.uffp2.com/SMF20/index.php

bigchocolate
November 28th, 2013, 06:42 AM
The MEAC is extremely pass happy. That's the reason there's inflated run defense and sack stats. They were statistically the #1 run defense in the country when we played in 2010 and we gashed them all over. Not saying that's the case this year, but the stats from the MEAC can be misleading a little bit.

You are correct when you stated MEAC stats can be misleading. There isn't a dominate offense in the conference this year and its has been a few years since any MEAC team could offensively force their will on the better teams. In 2010 SC States' team faced one of the best Ga Southern defenses I recall seeing in many years. Its been some time since I reviewed the stats of that game but I don't think anyone in the country could have played 70 defensive plays against that yrs version of Ga Southern's triple options and not give up points. Add the untimely safety (s) and turnovers which put the defense right back on the field and that is a recipe for disaster. If you check defensive yards per play averages, SC faired better than 90% of the teams you played that year...constant 3 and outs wore a speedy but small defense out. We are still very inconsistent offensively due to QB play, injuries at RB position, O-line inconsistency but this Defense will get after Furman. There were 4 to 5 teams with negative rushing yard totals at the end of their game SC. This Defense front line brings pressure without adding LBs and Safeties all the time unlike the 2010 version. 62 sacks in 12 games against any competition should say something, they got 3 sacks against Clemson as well. This Game is all about how the SC State offense performs and special teams. 1st team to 24 wins this game.

OL FU
November 28th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Ugh! Haven't read this and i know bison fans are bored this weekend but I hate a thread that starts by pronouncing us the victor in a game that is far from decided.

ejjones
November 28th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Ugh! Haven't read this and i know bison fans are bored this weekend but I hate a thread that starts by pronouncing us the victor in a game that is far from decided.
Sounds like the Bison folks are already asking for a Furman scouting report...hope they didn't jinx you..

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Kickoff in an hour. Let's get it going.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Really? Folks will start and perpetuate anything. $20/car? Are you seriously complaining? If you're worried about parking fees then you probably shouldn't be at the game--just saying. USC charges for parking...it's a brilliant idea. SCSU charges for parking that actually gets you fairly close to the stadium and it's awful or some ploy to cover their bid; although we've been charging & requiring folks who enter the gamezone to have a tix for the game for years.

Atleast you admitted, "rumor has it..."; unfortunately, you admitted something.

Gotta make up for all those missing millions from the Clyburn center somehow!

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Howdy brothers and a-holes..!!!
I'm pretty jacked up for this game
Who's going to be around here for this one..?

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Howdy brothers and a-holes..!!!
I'm pretty jacked up for this game
Who's going to be around here for this one..?

Should be a good one. Not a 54-51 thriller but that was an all timer!

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Should be a good one. Not a 54-51 thriller but that was an all timer!

Good lord that feels like a lifetime ago

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Good lord that feels like a lifetime ago

indeed it does Sir

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Furman's first play a 25 yard run right off Dakota Dozier.

Good to see Furman's coaches to see if the Bulldogs have anyone that can hang with 78

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM
vermin looks good up front so far

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Furman D looks solid right off the bat

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM
SC state taking long shots..

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Poor tackling from the Baptists

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
SCS runs a funky offense

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 12:16 PM
SCS runs a funky offense

that diamond is deceptive

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Is Furman playing ZONE against that pass offense..? I guess they're worried about the running game

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Furman needs to make adjustments on the D..

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Haven't seen much out of the bulldogs other than your standard read option. Quarterback does not appear all that accurate.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Furman needs to make adjustments on the D..

Not something to get worried about. Furman over the course of the season makes strong adjustments during the game. Right now it looks like the defense is just seeing what SCSU can do.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Not something to get worried about. Furman over the course of the season makes strong adjustments during the game. Right now it looks like the defense is just seeing what SCSU can do.

vermin let 'em score

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM

We just saw that they could drive the length of the field and score. I would prefer seeing that they are capable of going 3 and out.

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM
SC state scores... Surprisingly, they are looking decent..

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM
We just saw that they could drive the length of the field and score. I would prefer seeing that they are capable of going 3 and out.

True enough. Offense is nothing we haven't seen. Missed some tackles that kept the drive alive.

Game kind of starting off like last week's Wofford affair.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 12:34 PM
SC state scores... Surprisingly, they are looking decent..

Football is different in the Southern Confederacy. There is a LOT of talent to go around.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Punt return TD by Jairus Hollman!

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Football is different in the Southern Confederacy. There is a LOT of talent to go around.
Southern speed? Furman punt returns, good special teams plays.

NDSUSR
November 30th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Punt return TD by Jairus Hollman!
Very nice return with a lot of very poor tackling.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 12:42 PM
91 yards is a Furman school record. Unfortunately, our All-SoCon kicker missed the PAT.

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Excellent punt return by Furman...rare missed XP by Furman kicker.

Pretty empty stadium here in Orangeburg.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent punt return by Furman...rare missed XP by Furman kicker.

Pretty empty stadium here in Orangeburg.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Problems for SCSU. They are reading Gary Wilkins, and he's fast enough to cover both the QB and RB.

That will take away that play the rest of the game. He's blown it up twice now.

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Bad call picking up the PI flag on 3rd down by the refs and then a blatent block in the back call missed on the ensuing punt return. Both calls go SCSU's way.

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Bad call picking up the PI flag on 3rd down by the refs and then a blatent block in the back call missed on the ensuing punt return. Both calls go SCSU's way.
Agreed. Bad calls.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 12:56 PM

I don't know the rules per se, but I'm not sure the pass made it back to the LOS.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 12:56 PM
45 yard field goal is good for SC State. 10-6 Bulldogs. 13:18 2Q

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Has anyone found live stats for this game? All of the links I've found (ESPN, NCAA.com, FurmanPaladins.com, etc.) are dead. No videos from the GameCast either. Not a good day in the SCSU press box when you consider the clock troubles as well.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Let's start opening up the offense a little bit.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Let's start opening up the offense a little bit.

Agreed. With SCSU putting 8 or 9 in the box, you have to test them through the air much like the Wofford game last week.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Little concerned there was three straight plays of Richard Hayes.

eaglesrback
November 30th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Has anyone found live stats for this game? All of the links I've found (ESPN, NCAA.com, FurmanPaladins.com, etc.) are dead. No videos from the GameCast either. Not a good day in the SCSU press box when you consider the clock troubles as well.

How can they not at least get the score out over the wires?

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM
How can they not at least get the score out over the wires?

It looks like they are calling in wire updates, but there are no stats at all.

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM
ESPN 3 sucks, but I'm liking the read option from the teams. I don't mind watching us play against that.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 01:09 PM
ESPN 3 sucks, but I'm liking the read option from the teams. I don't mind watching us play against that.

its a specialty package for Furman. My concern is that Hannon is hurt.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 01:10 PM
#7 is looking for his mouthpiece. Geeze.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Touchdown pass Paladins after we FINALLY threw deep!! Keep that up. It's there all day.

PaladinFan
Long pass from Hannon to Culbreath for a score.

Furman's offense right there. Body blows up front and then go for the haymaker.

GATA_OneMoreTime
Well there you go opening the playbook! I still hate purple though:D

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Great pass on 1st down for the TD! Furman lured SCSU into the box for the entire game leading up to that moment.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 01:13 PM
furman should have gone for TWO!

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Furman's got man coverage all day out there. Those safeties are coming hard up the middle.

NDSUSR
November 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Ouch, bad call.

eaglesrback
November 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Score?

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
furman should have gone for TWO!

This right here.

NDSUSR
November 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Score?

13-13 SC

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM
13-10 Furman, 2Q

NDSUSR
November 30th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Hehe

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Fourth down conversion at midfield, Furman converts! Fowler is pretty conservative - I'm surprised we went for it there.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Fourth down conversion at midfield, Furman converts! Fowler is pretty conservative - I'm surprised we went for it there.

No kidding.

Appears to be really windy there today. Might be a little less inclined to rely on special teams play. Already seen some funky punts and a missed xpt.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 01:29 PM
What a play by the SCSU safety.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 01:29 PM
SCSU gets an INT in the end zone right before half.

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2013, 01:30 PM
That ball didn't look tipped to me on the waived off PI flag.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM
13-10 Paladins at the half.

I wish I had a clue about the stats so far.

maine612
November 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM
At least this game is competitive. Should be a great second half!

maine612
November 30th, 2013, 01:36 PM
This is sort of like the reaping day in the hunger games. See who gets to go to the slaughter in Fargo.

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Interesting half-time show...the only thing missing from the SC State band was the stripper pole. :D

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Good half of football. Expected a defensive war, and hasn't disappointed.

I think the game will come down to what Furman's offense can do against the nation's best defense statistically.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting half-time show...the only thing missing from the SC State band was the stripper pole. :D

Posting from the game? :)

ElCid
November 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM
13-10 Paladins at the half.

I wish I had a clue about the stats so far.

They did show the stats on ESPN 3 and SC St looks better on paper, at least a bit. I just caught the last 8 minutes of the half, but Furman looked good. Dominating the LOS from what I saw. I think the Furple pull away in the second half if they are mistake free.

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Good half of football. Expected a defensive war, and hasn't disappointed.

I think the game will come down to what Furman's offense can do against the nation's best defense statistically.

- - - Updated - - -

Posting from the game? :)

Yes I am! Scouting to see who our victim will be in Fargo. xthumbsupx

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Furman D bending...SC State maneuvering down the field into the redzone.

Kramden
November 30th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Yes I am! Scouting to see who our victim will be in Fargo. xthumbsupx
You guys ever going up to FBS or do you think you'll stay in FCS? You're obviously good enough to move up, just curious since most teams that make it to your level tend to want to move up.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 02:03 PM
SCSU gets 3 to open the second half. 13-13, 9:57 3Q

youwouldno
November 30th, 2013, 02:03 PM
You guys ever going up to FBS or do you think you'll stay in FCS? You're obviously good enough to move up, just curious since most teams that make it to your level tend to want to move up.

Surely general NDSU discussion can be in another thread?

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 02:05 PM
They did show the stats on ESPN 3 and SC St looks better on paper, at least a bit. I just caught the last 8 minutes of the half, but Furman looked good. Dominating the LOS from what I saw. I think the Furple pull away in the second half if they are mistake free.

SCSU has a lot of backfield motion on offense, and we are tending to lose their receivers (reminds me of UTC's offense).

Offensively, Furman just need to keep doing what they are doing. They'll break through eventually.

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM

Short answer: Another thread.

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Unlikely within the next 15 years. We need a bigger stadium first and we enjoy dominating a league for quite a while. I see the Power 5 (BCS) splitti g off and us joining v the other conferences before we'd considerr a move up.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlikely within the next 15 years. We need a bigger stadium first and we enjoy dominating a league for quite a while. I see the Power 5 (BCS) splitti g off and us joining v the other conferences before we'd considerr a move up.

Kramden
November 30th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Surely general NDSU discussion can be in another thread?
My bad, sorry.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 02:11 PM
TD Hannon on the 4th down QB sneak!! Paladins went all the way on the ground. They have already doubled-up the SCSU's defense rushing totals from the regular season.

Play under review.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM
20-13 Paladins, 6:03 3Q

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Wherever these refs are from, they are pretty piss poor. Furman scored by a yard into the endzone on 3rd down clearly. Then 4th down needs to be reviewed?? C'mon Man! Nominee

Engineer86
November 30th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Pretty clear that SCSU def stats reflect the level of competition.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Pick 6 for Hollman!!! His second TD of the day after the punt return!

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Boy did he bait and loot that QB...
Text book "look open" coverage

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Furman leading 27-13..

NDSUSR
November 30th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Holloman is having a great day.

Drblankstare
November 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM
That's a brutal pick for SC St. Furman looking good

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Furman seems to be dominating now.. SC state needs to do something different.

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Furman has well coached Linebackers

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Furman leads 27-13 heading to the 4th quarter. SCSU is inside the Furman red zone.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Furman has well coached Linebackers

Best corps we've had since probably the mid-2000s.

swaghook
November 30th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Looking forward to seeing Furman in the dome as long as they don't have a 4th quarter meltdown.

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 02:32 PM

That's not an easy offense they're handling right there... it's odd

Drblankstare
November 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM
SC ST sure likes that wheel route to the fullback coming from the backfield. Almost worked again

youwouldno
Long way left to go in this one.

PaladinFan
#8 can really run. That play's worked pretty much all day.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Touchdown run from 4 yards out by the Bulldogs. 27-20 Furman with 13:22 to go.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 02:36 PM

only one CORPS in South Carolina

- - - Updated - - -

State right back in it. HUNKER DOWN YOU HAIRY 'DOGS!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

State right back in it! HUNKER DOWN YOU HAIRY 'DOGS!!!!!

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 02:36 PM
That's not an easy offense they're handling right there... it's odd

It's a unique one. Nothing they do is something Furman hasn't seen, but few are this dedicated to it.

I have noticed that Furman is starting to bring pressure off the backside of that jet sweep. Doesn't help when he hands it off, but that's where you're seeing some of these big losses on running plays.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 02:37 PM
State's kicker sure is light skinned

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 02:38 PM
need a sustained drive right here. Give the defense a breather.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM
costly penalty for State

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Early is a GREAT kicker. A real weapon for the Snake Handlers.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Ray Early is money again, giving Furman a 30-20 lead with 8:28 to go.

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM
These SoCon announcers are excellent
The play-by-play guy is solid and the color analyst is very easy to listen to

I wish we could get West Coast FCS announcers that were this good
The South just does football BETTER at pretty much every level

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Early is a GREAT kicker. A real weapon for the Snake Handlers.

Defensive turnovers and special teams. Been the name of game this season.

Would like to see Early have the opportunity to kick in a dome.

LarryBoy
November 30th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Defensive turnovers and special teams. Been the name of game this season.

That sounds nice, but I'd like to see him kick in Frisco.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
These SoCon announcers are excellent
The play-by-play guy is solid and the color analyst is very easy to listen to

I wish we could get West Coast FCS announcers that were this good
The South just does football BETTER at pretty much every level

It's no FCS Wedge but it's pretty good.

You're right

NDSUSR
November 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM

You will, in just 7 days.

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 02:50 PM
McMorris with a nice single leg takedown.

Cleets
November 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Let me repeat:
These announcers are GOOD / Enjoyable
This is as good as FCS gets as far as I've ever heard

Drblankstare
November 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Let me repeat:
These announcers are GOOD / Enjoyable
This is as good as FCS gets as far as I've ever heard
Have to agree. They seem genuinely interested in doing an FCS game, not always the case

Bison56
November 30th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Horrible punt return. You ned to cut up field. Agree on the announcers.

Drblankstare
November 30th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Well I'm switching over to the Fordham game. Congrats on the win Furman fans and I hope you enjoy your visit to Fargo if you can make it.

Southern Bison
November 30th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Initial synopsis is that Furman has a pretty disciplined D and a MVFC-style O of grind it out running. The Bison win next weekend after wearing down their D in the 2nd half.

thirdgendin
November 30th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Paladins win 30-20! First playoff win since 2005!!

Drblankstare
November 30th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Initial synopsis is that Furman has a pretty disciplined D and a MVFC-style O of grind it out running. The Bison win next weekend after wearing down their D in the 2nd half.

Style wise they do seem similar. Furman is just such a young team. It will be interesting to see how they handle the Fargodome and if they can limit mistakes.

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Congrats Furman! Glad you won. Now I hope you lose! :p.

Kramden
November 30th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Congrats Furman! Glad you won. Now I hope you lose! :p.
Congratulations Furman. Good luck next week. It's nice to see teams with excellent academic reputations move on in the playoffs.

kdinva
November 30th, 2013, 03:22 PM
A very fine win for Furman & the SoCon in a difficult venue against a solid program......

SpeedkingATL
November 30th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Nice win Furman. Big opportunity coming up next weekend.

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Time to start getting loud in Fargo.

BISON Thunder
November 30th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Congrat's to the "Knightly Warriors"...looking forward to seeing you in Fargo next Saturday!

Apphole
November 30th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I'll take NDSU by 24.

apaladin2
November 30th, 2013, 03:41 PM
After the first round it is not a bid thing. Home goes to the higher seeded team. In 2004 FU was home all the way before losing to JMU in the semis.

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 03:43 PM
After the first round it is not a bid thing. Home goes to the higher seeded team. In 2004 FU was home all the way before losing to JMU in the semis.

Right you are, see you in Fargo.

Saturday is projected to be a tropical 5F, with a low of -17F before windchill.