PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State Ws and the Field

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2013, 11:39 PM
How do wins over Georgia State shape this field, if at all? Are they considered FBS wins, and thus "quality wins"? Are they considered impressive? Or are they considered like mid-pack FCS wins?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2013, 11:45 PM
From what I gather they are still considered FCS like Georgia Southern, App State, ODU etc. I learned that in the GSU-Florida thread ;)...

AGS has NOT considered them FCS, or at least for the poll, so I thought they were in limbo. Obviously, I was wrong. Glad I did not credit the SBC with the win (I nearly did). Things could have gotten real ugly xrotatehx

youwouldno
November 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Not a quality win, just a D-I win for counting purposes.

chattanoogamocs
November 24th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I know I will be perceived as biased because Chattanooga not only played Georgia State, but beat them by (28 pts) a larger margin than anyone except for Alabama (42 pts) and West Virginia (34 pts)...and of course, those two were on the road (not that GaSt has much home field advantage)

I think some credit should be given, they are full members of an FBS conference...it is not Samford, JSU, and Chattanooga's fault that they are terrible.

Why shouldn't they be considered any more or less important than UConn (now 1-9 after their win over Temple, who is 1-10)? Or South Florida who is 2-8 and one of their wins is over UConn. Or FIU who is 1-10 (only win is against 0-11 Southern Miss).

My point?

UConn, Temple, South Florida, FIU...have two things in common with Ga State...they are all horrible and they have all lost to FCS schools (all of them could be "ofer" right now if not for having the opportunity to play another equally bad team and someone had to win.

I would argue that Ga State is not significantly worse than any of those other schools (all rock solide members of ESPN's "Bottom 10")...GaSt might be 0-11 right now, but they have played a number of close games in the Sun Belt, including a 2 point loss today at 7-4 Arkansas State).

chattanoogamocs
November 24th, 2013, 12:05 AM
All that being said...Chattanooga fans don't consider that win of any more significance than any other win on the schedule. We know they are terrible. There was no big excitement after the win or any big proclamations of beating an FBS school...more of just a footnote as a matter of fact.

Squealofthepig
November 24th, 2013, 12:19 AM
After the revealing article with the former committee member this week, I think a lot of this will have to do with how aggressive both the SoCon (for UTC and Samford) and the OVC (for Jacksonville State) are in the first round of pitching teams. I think UTC's margin of victory is telling and - absent that damned first week loss - UTC's overall body of work is pretty impressive (FBS win, wins @Elon and App; losses by 2 @GSU (WHICH BEAT FLORIDA! HOLY CRAP!), @co-conference champ Samford in OT; and some FBS team named Alabama you may have heard of).

I think the GSU win is just part of a larger picture for all three teams, and the teams will have to stand by their overall body of work - but the GSU win, even if it is GSU, should still be an overall very positive mark for them.

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Georgia State is Better Than Harvard™