PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Thigpen for Payton?

CoastalFan2005
October 10th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Let me start the thread off by saying that I'm not trying to advocate Tyler being currently the most worthy candidate, nor am I trying to say that he's better than anyone else. I just think he should be in the consideration for the Payton.

That said...Tyler's not a bad player. I didn't read this personally, but apparently Furman Coach Bobby Lamb called him the "best quarterback in all of college football."

Here's his season-to-date stats:

Of course he leads us in passing.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------------
THIGPEN, Tyler 6 170.07 104-166-4 62.7 1668 14 80 278.0

Also, Tyler is our second leading rusher, only 4 yards behind Perk in Net Yards.

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
PERKINS, Aundres 6 67 349 25 324 4.8 3 40 54.0
THIGPEN, Tyler 6 59 368 48 320 5.4 3 50 53.3

He also leads the team in total offense.

TOTAL OFFENSE G Plays Rush Pass Total Avg/G
---------------------------------------------------
THIGPEN, Tyler 6 225 320 1668 1988 331.3

Legit discussion opinions are welcome!

smallcollegefbfan
October 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I think he will be on the updated watch list. I do not think he will win it but I do think he should be on the watch list.

UNHknowledge
October 10th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I think he definitly deserves to be on the updated list. I give props where they're due and Thigpen is more than worthy to be on the list. He's much more worthy than the EKU kid with twice as many pics than TD's.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM
he should win Big South POY, that being said, he should be considered for the Payton, but will probably not finish in the top 5

PaladinFan
October 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that Lamb was referring to IAA.

CoastalFan2005
October 10th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that Lamb was referring to IAA.

He may have been...like I said, I didn't have the opportunity to read the quote myself, read it secondhand. :)

th0m
October 11th, 2006, 04:12 AM
It also looks better after a fairly embarrassing loss to say you lost to the best QB in the country, than to lose to an awful one. Not taking anything away from Thigpen's abilities, he is most certainly a very prolific offensive threat. What year is he currently in?

rokamortis
October 11th, 2006, 05:16 AM
It also looks better after a fairly embarrassing loss to say you lost to the best QB in the country, than to lose to an awful one. Not taking anything away from Thigpen's abilities, he is most certainly a very prolific offensive threat. What year is he currently in?

Senior, unfortunately for us - fortunately for you :(

I agree with your statement - I think Thig is a good QB and all but not best in all of football or even I-AA.

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Big time players play well in big games.

Dabnus Brickey
October 11th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Coming out of high school, he was a Wing T/option QB too...he's made a wonderful transition.

The Dude
October 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM
If you're referring to Lamb's radio interview, he called Thigpen "one of the best" quarterbacks in the nation.

walliver
October 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Thigpen's real problem as far as getting votes is that Coastal Carolina plays all their "big games" early in the year. The rest of their schedule is basically Big South Games. His performances against the Wofford, SC State and Furman will fade in people's memory as the season progresses and other quarterbacks play in "big games". Lots of stats against Big South teams doesn't impress many voters. No smack intended.

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Then again, outside of Swogger, Rascati, and Santos are there really that many big name qbs in I-AA?

Seems like the Payton this year is runningback heavy.

SoCon48
October 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Then again, outside of Swogger, Rascati, and Santos are there really that many big name qbs in I-AA?

Seems like the Payton this year is runningback heavy.

By the end of the play-off run, there will likely be more!!:eyebrow:

MarkCCU
October 11th, 2006, 03:41 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

JDC325
October 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
he should win Big South POY, that being said, he should be considered for the Payton, but will probably not finish in the top 5

Agreed the kid is good and should be get some recognition. Damn glad he is a senior.

bodoyle
October 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM
From Coastal's website a nice informational pdf of Thig's accomplishments.

http://www.goccusports.com/football/thigpen-paytoncandidate.pdf

CSUBUCDAD
October 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM
While his numbers aren't up there with alot of the QB's he has really done a great job this year against some quality opponents. He is more than deserving if he gets it.