PDA

View Full Version : Something for Lafayette and Lehigh

carney2
October 10th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Many months ago we kicked around the fact that the Lafayette-Lehigh game does not have a "trophy" to call its very own - and it went nowhere. I posted the following comments in another thread that announced that, henceforth, any Lehigh-Yale encounter will end with the winner getting possession of a traveling trophy. I moved it over here. It deserves its own thread (again).

INSTANT REPLAY:

If something as irregularly scheduled as a Yale-Lehigh game can get its own trophy, the Lafayette-Lehigh game deserves more than its current - well, nothing. We've batted this around before and tried to come up with something really unique - something to rival The Little Brown Jug (Minnesota-Michigan) or The Old Oaken Bucket (Purdue-Indiana) or even The Slab of Bacon (Wisconsin-Minnesota) - but if an award can merely be called the Yank Townsend 1895 Trophy then we've been overthinking this. Keep it simple. A starter kit:

The Mug (as in beer mug)
The Pennsylvania Bowl (with "Bowl" meaning a dish or container and not a New Year's Day football extravaganza - but the double meaning has some real appeal, doesn't it?! Remember, this would be the name of the trophy, and not the name of the game - or would it? Hmmmm.)
Pick two standouts from the very early days of the rivalry - one from each team - and name it for them (For instance, The Smith-Jones Trophy)
The Olde Leather Helmet (a reference to the long and storied history of the rivalry, and certainly a football motif)

Help me out here. Personally, I like The Pennsylvania Bowl. Funding, guys. We need funding.

Pards Rule
October 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I actually like the Leather Helmet...Historic, tangible and memorable...SO MOVED!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM
To clarify for those who think carney is coming from another planet (well, I frequently think he is, but I digress... xlolx ) this year the winner of the Lehigh/Yale game will be presented the "Yank Townsend 1895" trophy for the first time. "Yank" was a Lehigh alumnus and famous New Haven architect, and a fan of both Lehigh and Yale football, and his family sponsored the trophy and will be presenting it.

I remember at one time folks were trying to come up with a trophy called "The Goalposts", signifying an alternative the tradition of tearing them down after the game, but I don't think that idea ever got anywhere. Nowadays, I don't think that would have much significance.

If I had a vote, I'd go for the "Leather Helmet". Of course, Lehigh/Lafayette could have as its trophy an old shoe and we'd still hate each other's guts. xlolx

Pards Rule
October 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM
The Leather Helmet would also make a great photo op!! I love it!!

ngineer
October 10th, 2006, 11:11 PM
As I noted on the other thread, I like the Ol' Leather Helmet idea. Another possibility is a miniature steel I-beam in some kind of configuration of the letters "LU and LC"...or how about a 'Silver Goblet"? One of our fight songs is called "The Silver Goblet" --don't know if LC has a similar one?

Raise your old silver goblet
With Lehigh upon it,
And we'll all have another keg of beer--more beer!
For we all came to college,
But we didn't come for knowledge,
So let's raise hell while we're here!

:thumbsup:

LeopardFan04
October 10th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Another possibility is a miniature steel I-beam in some kind of configuration of the letters "LU and LC"...
:thumbsup:

I like it...I like the idea of using something with steel...since the rivalry is so rooted in its history, the trophy should be too...I think whatever it is it should be something that reflects the Lehigh Valley...

October 11th, 2006, 12:24 AM
... this year the winner of the Lehigh/Yale game will be presented the "Yank Townsend 1895" trophy for the first time. "Yank" was a Lehigh alumnus and famous New Haven architect, and a fan of both Lehigh and Yale football, and his family sponsored the trophy and will be presenting it...Oops, end of discussion...

Yank Townsend 1895

the trophy has been named so let's get this party started... who wins this year??? :)

Pard94
October 11th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Throw me in for the leather helmet. Especially since it was invented by a Leopard! Maybe we could even cite the invenor..."Barclay's Helmet" or something like that. Speaks nicely to the tradition.

cosmo here
October 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Oops, end of discussion...

Yank Townsend 1895

the trophy has been named so let's get this party started... who wins this year??? :)

that's Lehigh/Yale - that's just another game. We're talking

LAFAYETTE-LEHIGH here

Pards Rule
October 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
YEAH - a MAJOR difference...Most played college football game in the world!!

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 09:01 AM
YEAH - a MAJOR difference...Most played college football game in the world!!

... and longest continuous... yearly since 1897.. not even wars can stop us...

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Throw me in for the leather helmet. Especially since it was invented by a Leopard! Maybe we could even cite the invenor..."Barclay's Helmet" or something like that. Speaks nicely to the tradition.

Yeah I was just thinking of that... although I am not sure of the idea of an Engineer possesing something that is rightfully Lafayette's to begin with. :D Ol' Barclay would probably roll over if he knew Lehigh won something of his.

Pards Rule
October 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Me too...They would object to it carrying the name of a Lafayette guy who invented the helmet (to protect from getting banged up ears)...The Steel Beam (if that is going forward) will HAVE to be shaped like an L - hence the Steel "L" beam???

LCFan21
October 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Leather Helmet is perfect!!!!

Pards Rule
October 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I concur...I think the steel would be too heavy to hoist anyway!