PDA

View Full Version : Yale-Lehigh trophy?

bulldog10jw
October 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM
any of you Lehigh guys heard of this man?

Yank Townsend 1895 Trophy

Yank Towsend, the only Connecticut native in Lehigh's class of 1895, became a famous New Haven architect and engineer and devotee to both Lehigh and Yale football. His family decided to honor him postumously by awarding the winner of the Bulldog-Mountain Hawks game the Yank Townsend 1895 Trophy, which will be at the Bowl Saturday and presented for the first time.

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100906aaa.html

carney2
October 10th, 2006, 02:37 PM
INSTANT REPLAY:

If something as irregularly scheduled as a Yale-Lehigh game can get its own trophy, the Lafayette-Lehigh game deserves more than its current - well, nothing. We've batted this around before and tried to come up with something really unique - something to rival The Little Brown Jug (Minnesota-Michigan) or The Old Oaken Bucket (Purdue-Indiana) or even The Slab of Bacon (Wisconsin-Minnesota) - but if an award can merely be called the Yank Townsend 1895 Trophy then we've been overthinking this. Keep it simple. A starter kit:

The Mug (as in beer mug)
The Pennsylvania Bowl (with "Bowl" meaning a dish or container and not a New Year's Day football extravaganza - but the double meaning has some real appeal, doesn't it?! Remember, this would be the name of the trophy, and not the name of the game - or would it? Hmmmm.)
Pick two standouts from the very early days of the rivalry - one from each team - and name it for them (For instance, The Smith-Jones Trophy)
The Olde Leather Helmet (a reference to the long and storied history of the rivalry, and certainly a football motif)

Help me out here. Personally, I like The Pennsylvania Bowl. Funding, guys. We need funding.

th0m
October 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Out of your suggestions I like the Olde Leather Helmet best. I agree though, you guys need a travelling trophy for your longstanding rivalry. Is there a trophy between Harvard-Yale?

carney2
October 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Out of your suggestions I like the Olde Leather Helmet best. I agree though, you guys need a travelling trophy for your longstanding rivalry. Is there a trophy between Harvard-Yale?

Yeah, I think it's known as The Big Ego, and popularly referred to as The Stodgy.

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I think it's known as The Big Ego, and popularly referred to as The Stodgy.

xlolx Or it could be called the White House.

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Old Leather Helmet is good... but I always thought of something steel related... both schools and cities flourised due to the steel mills... and the programs started when the mills moved in.. the trophy could be a piece of Bethlehem Steel crafted in a unique way.

bulldog10jw
October 10th, 2006, 04:06 PM

While there is no Yale-Harvard trophy, there is the "BIG THREE" trophy for the Yale-Harvard-Princeton round robin winner.

ngineer
October 10th, 2006, 11:06 PM
The ol' leather helmet idea is worth considering. Some kind of miniature steel I-beam in a configuration of the letters LU and LC may be another possibility..

LeopardFan04
October 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
While there is no Yale-Harvard trophy, there is the "BIG THREE" trophy for the Yale-Harvard-Princeton round robin winner.

Just curious...how does this work if they each go 1-1 in the round robin? does it just stay with the team that had it from the year before? I guess the process is similar to the Commander in Chief's trophy...of course lately that's been decided by Navy/Air Force since Army had been down the last several years...

bulldog10jw
October 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Just curious...how does this work if they each go 1-1 in the round robin? does it just stay with the team that had it from the year before? I guess the process is similar to the Commander in Chief's trophy...of course lately that's been decided by Navy/Air Force since Army had been down the last several years...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are correct. In fact, last year was a 1-1 year, so the trophy is probably still at Harvard.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are correct. In fact, last year was a 1-1 year, so the trophy is probably still at Harvard.

Likely so.. as Lepoard04 noted, if Army/Navy/AF all go 1-1, then the trophy is not awarded that year.

ckule
October 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Congratulations, Lehigh. I played in this game 47 years ago(!!). We (Yale) won, but it was a great experience and the schools have a natural affinity (Lafayette has Princeton and Harvard has Holy Cross). The Yank Towsend trophy is a great thing but maybe each time the teams should trade jerseys after the game, or the winners could get the losers' tee shirts, or something. Or maybe a sextant, since Lehigh and Yale are both traditional engineering schools.

As to Lehigh-Lafayette, I am a Pennsylvanian and someday I would like to attend this game. Unfortunately, it usually occurs on the same day as the Yale-Harvard game. I think both games are on the same intensity level. Playing Lehigh this year will make us better when we face the ultimate test later this year. CAK (Y'67)

bulldog10jw
October 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Congratulations, Lehigh. I played in this game 47 years ago(!!). We (Yale) won, but it was a great experience and the schools have a natural affinity (Lafayette has Princeton and Harvard has Holy Cross). The Yank Towsend trophy is a great thing but maybe each time the teams should trade jerseys after the game, or the winners could get the losers' tee shirts, or something. Or maybe a sextant, since Lehigh and Yale are both traditional engineering schools.

As to Lehigh-Lafayette, I am a Pennsylvanian and someday I would like to attend this game. Unfortunately, it usually occurs on the same day as the Yale-Harvard game. I think both games are on the same intensity level. Playing Lehigh this year will make us better when we face the ultimate test later this year. CAK (Y'67)

WOW!!! You certainly pulled this thread out of the archives. How did you ever find it?

Have I really been posting here that long?

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM

We'd certainly enjoy having you at a Lafayette-Lehigh game. Why not come to Fisher Field next Saturday to watch Yale take on Lafayette?

The Historian
October 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Congratulations, Lehigh. I played in this game 47 years ago(!!).

That was a brutal game for Lehigh losing 54-0. The 1964 Lehigh team might have been the worst of the post war era and scored just 41 points in 9 games. It was also the year of the 100th Lehigh-Lafayette game, that was a real stinker (a 6-6 tie).

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Nice trophy.

May we now have our Cannon back, please?

Twentysix
October 9th, 2011, 05:18 AM
INSTANT REPLAY:

If something as irregularly scheduled as a Yale-Lehigh game can get its own trophy, the Lafayette-Lehigh game deserves more than its current - well, nothing. We've batted this around before and tried to come up with something really unique - something to rival The Little Brown Jug (Minnesota-Michigan) or The Old Oaken Bucket (Purdue-Indiana) or even The Slab of Bacon (Wisconsin-Minnesota) - but if an award can merely be called the Yank Townsend 1895 Trophy then we've been overthinking this. Keep it simple. A starter kit:

The Mug (as in beer mug)
The Pennsylvania Bowl (with "Bowl" meaning a dish or container and not a New Year's Day football extravaganza - but the double meaning has some real appeal, doesn't it?! Remember, this would be the name of the trophy, and not the name of the game - or would it? Hmmmm.)
Pick two standouts from the very early days of the rivalry - one from each team - and name it for them (For instance, The Smith-Jones Trophy)
The Olde Leather Helmet (a reference to the long and storied history of the rivalry, and certainly a football motif)

Help me out here. Personally, I like The Pennsylvania Bowl. Funding, guys. We need funding.

I dont follow the gophers but i think you are mistaken.

I believe the pig is Iowa Minnesota.

Minnesota wisconsin is an axe.

the little brown jug is right though.

Some other trophies, NDSU SDSU play for the dakota marker (an old stone mile marker that would lie on the state borders)http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3J2fmvQYYHI/TEoZM6Wb2TI/AAAAAAAAAiw/bb4x_z1oagc/s320/milemarker.JPG NDSU UND used to play for a buffalo nickel http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/Nickel_trophy_NDSU.JPG.

I think UC davis and cal poly play for a horse shoe. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/3048578824_9d29cec366.jpg

Trophies are neat. Imo we(ndsu) should start one with UNI of course they would get to keep it almost indefinitly :(. We could call it the Missouri valley football conference title.

Ivytalk
October 9th, 2011, 07:11 AM
xnodx

Another Yale poster! Welcome!

The Historian
October 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Nice trophy.

May we now have our Cannon back, please?

Have you tried the Frankford Arsenal?

Go...gate
October 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM

My understanding is that is correct.