PDA

View Full Version : Folks in San Diego are talking playoffs!

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2006/10/10/opinion/01shanbaugh.txt

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061008-9999-1s8usdfoot.html

It is one thing for messageboard posters to talk about their team making the playoffs, but the article above indicates that USD is seriously considering the prospect of being invited to the playoffs this year, and the ramifications of receiving a bid. IF USD, runs the table in the PFL, they will probably finish the season with a higher ranking and GPI than Lafayette had last year when they received an at large bid. It may not be as far fetched as most of you would like to believe! Also, please be sure not to miss Jim Harbaugh's quote on the other teams in the top 25 in the second link. It would seem as though Jim Harbaugh is expecting to receive a bid and for the "details" to be worked out to accomodate a bid....

89Hen
October 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/hinckley/hinkleygun2.jpg

ucdtim17
October 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Sept. 2 FORT LEWIS 44-0 W
Sept. 9 at Weber State 17-0 W
Sept. 16 at Sacramento State 17-10 W
Sept. 23 at San Jose State 7-17 L
Sept. 30 *#SOUTHERN UTAH 18-14 W
Oct. 7 *UC DAVIS 23-17 W
Oct. 14 BYE
Oct. 21 *##SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 4 p.m.
Oct. 28 at San Diego State 5 p.m.
Nov. 4 at Montana 11:05 a.m.
Nov. 11 *at North Dakota State 11 a.m.
Nov. 18 SAVANNAH STATE 1 p.m.

Make a schedule like this, win 9 games, and you're in. Until then, quit whining and quit starting new threads :bang:

OrneryAggie
October 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM
If UCD is 5-5 heading into that game with USD it'll cost USD at least $2Million dollars to buy out of it.

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Hey - what ever happened to the other Wofford posters besides dungeonjoe?

FargoBison
October 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Unfortunatly a few USD posters have gone overboard by posting numerous threads on this topic. I agree and am sick of this topic.

However, IMO this post is somewhat interesting and valid only because it links to mainstream media articles on the subject. Maybe the real subject should be is Harbaugh still drunk?

I mean this is at least worthy of some responses:

“I can't imagine that half of those other teams in the Top 25 are better than we are,” Harbaugh said. “Hopefully we just keep playing, keep winning, keep opening eyes and keep getting better. We've just got to keep the hammer down.”

UNHFan99
October 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM
They will have alot to talk about while they sit at home and watch the playoffs on TV. xcoffeex

dungeonjoe
October 10th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hey - what ever happened to the other Wofford posters besides dungeonjoe?

there might be a lot of similarity between Wofford and San Diego, but how did your question wind up in this thread?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Hampton of the West? xidiotx

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Hampton of the West? xidiotx

and if they make it into the playoffs, that will be shown

FargoBison
October 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
“I can't imagine that half of those other teams in the Top 25 are better than we are,” Harbaugh said. “Hopefully we just keep playing, keep winning, keep opening eyes and keep getting better. We've just got to keep the hammer down.”

I am sick of this crap first their fans and now even their coach is running his mouth and has done nothing to earn the respect he is asking for. Earth to coach Harbaugh, you have yet to beat a top 25 team yet alone a top 15 team so how do you have a clue that your team is that good.

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
there might be a lot of similarity between Wofford and San Diego, but how did your question wind up in this thread?

I thought YOU would get this......

dungeonjoe
October 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I thought YOU would get this......
:)

cosmo here
October 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
It is one thing for messageboard posters to talk about their team making the playoffs, but the article above indicates that USD is seriously considering the prospect of being invited to the playoffs this year, and the ramifications of receiving a bid. IF USD, runs the table in the PFL, they will probably finish the season with a higher ranking and GPI than Lafayette had last year when they received an at large bid. It may not be as far fetched as most of you would like to believe! Also, please be sure not to miss Jim Harbaugh's quote on the other teams in the top 25 in the second link. It would seem as though Jim Harbaugh is expecting to receive a bid and for the "details" to be worked out to accomodate a bid....

Please don't drag Lafayette into this argument

A. the GPI is not the final indicator of a playoff team

B. Lafayette shut out Richmond 7-0, a team that went on to win the Atlantic 10 South Division championship, they were Patriot League co-champions and beat a ranked Lehigh team to close the year.

C. at least half of Lafayette's 11 opponents last year were better than Yale, the best team San Diego will have played by playoff time this year.

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Please don't drag Lafayette into this argument

A. the GPI is not the final indicator of a playoff team

B. Lafayette shut out Richmond 7-0, a team that went on to win the Atlantic 10 South Division championship, they were Patriot League co-champions and beat a ranked Lehigh team to close the year.

C. at least half of Lafayette's 11 opponents last year were better than Yale, the best team San Diego will have played by playoff time this year.

Cold hard facts sure are not San Diego's friend.. : smh :

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
This is silly... even the NEC people are practible when they realize they have little hope of gettign their teams into the dance... and they have won some quality games at least... a two loss Monmouth or CCSU has a better arguement than an undefeated San Diego anyway..

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Silly it may be, but the following statement has to at least make you go: :eyebrow:

In fact, the Toreros are playing so well, they may have a conflict with their final regular season game on Nov. 25 at UC Davis. That's because the Division I-AA playoffs begin Nov. 25.

If the Toreros keep winning, they also would qualify for the Gridiron Classic, a bowl game scheduled for Nov. 18 between the PFL and Northeast Conference champions. That would mean a post-season game before the playoffs.

"We're in communication with all the athletic directors and conference commissioners involved," USD athletic director Ky Snyder said. "It's a little early, and we have to see how this all plays out, so I don't want to jinx us. But we believe there are enough options available."

I would LOVE to be a fly on Patty V.'s wall after reading this.

aceinthehole
October 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Silly it may be, but the following statement has to at least make you go: :eyebrow:

I would LOVE to be a fly on Patty V.'s wall after reading this.

Agreed. This is either poor reporting or the PFL commish hasn't been so honest with Ralph!

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Seriously, what's with people on this board. If your not in a auto-bid conference your team sucks... xidiotx

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Seriously, what's with people on this board. If your not in a auto-bid conference your team sucks... xidiotx
if you haven't beaten anyone, yes

ucdtim17
October 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM

They're not saying that about CP, UCD, NDSU and SDSU - take a look at those schedules and get back to us

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Wow, the old guard is so blind that they miss the points entirely.... At least the NEC posters see the interesting points in the two articles.

Death Dealer
October 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Wow, the old guard is so blind that they miss the points entirely.... At least the NEC posters see the interesting points in the two articles.

I see the interesting points you think everyone is missing, but what I also see are comments like this:
“Nothing against the teams that we play, but we look forward to bringing our best every game,” said running back J.T. Rogan, who rushed for 85 yards on 10 carries. “If the opponents don't do the same, the end result is a beating like 56-3.”

Unwarranted arrogance, bravado, and very little class. I know you wouldn't see a comment like that from a player in the SOCON for example....if you did, I bet he would be having a long discussion with the coach about how to keep his mouth shut. xidiotx (i've edited my response voluntarily, I realize it was not very kindly worded. I apologize)

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Pahlease :nonono2:

Sounds like harbaugh is creating a I-A/NFL thug culture down in SD. :eek:

UNHWildCats
October 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM

No, but just cause your team goes undefeated with a weak ass schedule doesnt mean your going to be handed a playoff spot

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM
No, but just cause your team goes undefeated with a weak ass schedule doesnt mean your going to be handed a playoff spot

We are going to earn it.... with the required I-A wins, rankings, GPI, etc.
It's gonna be tough... we will for sure be on the bubble :bow:

FYI, the schedule was set in advance, can only just play the games now. If our schedule prevents us from the playoffs so-be-it...but it will be awfully hard to keep San Diego out when they are undefeated and ranked high in most polls plus with the GPI (the top indicator for at-large selection)

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
We are going to earn it.... with the required I-A wins, rankings, GPI, etc.
It's gonna be tough... we will for sure be on the bubble :bow:

FYI, the schedule was set in advance, can only just play the games now. If our schedule prevents us from the playoffs so-be-it...but it will be awfully hard to keep San Diego out when they are undefeated and ranked high in most polls plus with the GPI (the top indicator for at-large selection)

Please - NAU would be unbeaten with USD's schedule right now....:rolleyes:

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Perhaps they would... but i guess we will never know for sure. ;)

SochorField
October 10th, 2006, 05:20 PM
STOP WITH THE NEW USD THREADS! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 05:21 PM
STOP WITH THE NEW USD THREADS! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

They will disappear after they don't make the playoffs:nod:

ToreroTime
October 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Death Dealer you have to be kidding me. Calling USD a thug culture is absurd, and by saying something like that you only embarrass you and your alma mater that gave you a diploma.

putter
October 10th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I agree about San Diego doing everything they can with the schedule they have but it is the same point about Hampton and strength of teams you play. I for one would like to see USD get into the playoffs, if they stay undefeated, and have to play Montana or Cal Poly. Then we would find out if the schedule the played prepared them or not.

Torero Tradition
The threads aren't new.... and San Diego is in I-AA. This is a I-AA football message board to discuss I-AA football topics. I would think a little buzz about an up and coming I-AA football team would be a good thing, especially one that no-one really knows about. A couple good seasons and a sniff at the playoffs might be enough for the school to throw some money at the Football program and perhaps join another conference, which in my mind... would be good for I-AA football. It is also important to respect teams in the NEC and the PFL. A couple of regular power houses, Delaware and Georgia Southern found out that non-scholly teams aren't just pushovers.

wannabegaucho
Calling USD a thug school, just insults my religion. Yes, I brought it up. There are many things to bash USD of, but thug culture is not one of them.

Thugs are Oakland and Miami.

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I agree about San Diego doing everything they can with the schedule they have but it is the same point about Hampton and strength of teams you play. I for one would like to see USD get into the playoffs, if they stay undefeated, and have to play Montana or Cal Poly. Then we would find out if the schedule the played prepared them or not.

Putter one thing that may work in USD's favor if they get the Davis situation cleared with the Gridiron classic deal is the fact that an undefeated USD team might be the balance that they Playoff comittee is looking for. The Big Sky Conference might only send one team with the way things are looking, and this will greatly benefit the Toreros. Then you would have four team out west... Montana, Cal Poly, San Diego and the winner of the Southland. If Cal Poly stumbles... then USD is really in for a treat. (well, maybe it is just wishful thinking... but sending the Toreros to Missoula might not be out of the realm of possibility. :thumbsup: ) Good luck with your homecoming game this week.

SochorField
October 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Putter one thing that may work in USD's favor if they get the Davis situation cleared with the Gridiron classic deal is the fact that an undefeated USD team might be the balance that they Playoff comittee is looking for. The Big Sky Conference might only send one team with the way things are looking, and this will greatly benefit the Toreros. Then you would have four team out west... Montana, Cal Poly, San Diego and the winner of the Southland. If Cal Poly stumbles... then USD is really in for a treat. (well, maybe it is just wishful thinking... but sending the Toreros to Missoula might not be out of the realm of possibility. :thumbsup: ) Good luck with your homecoming game this week.

San Diego @ Montana?

:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

putter
October 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Excellent point TT, and that may be something that indeed works into the favor of USD this year but the committee's reliance on regionalization could be a positive or negative.

ucdtim17
October 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I would love to see SD fall on their face against Drake or something so we don't have to keep seeing new threads about this

Maverick
October 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM
All UCD has to do is say no to rescheduling the game with USD to end this speculation. As the season progresses, the USD SOS as compared to those that Cal Poly had when it was "hosed" by the committee approaches laughable. I do agree that should USD upgrade the schedule and continue to win the next year or two they would definitely merit playoff-consideration. But the OOC for USD will have to be more than Yale before the playoff selection weekend. There are reasons for the NEC, MAAC, and PFL being the bottom rated conferences in I-AA. And I am sure that the committee will not find that in favor of the Toreros no matter the record.

UNHknowledge
October 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I like what San Diego has done with their program but daaaaamn they got the big head after beating NOBODY. I REALLY hope little J.T. Rogan gets his wish of playing in the playoffs and draws UNH in the first round. I'd love to see him on the other end of a 56-3 "bashing" going home to sunny San Diego with frostbite and a bruised ego.

UNHWildCats
October 10th, 2006, 07:18 PM
The threads aren't new.... and San Diego is in I-AA. This is a I-AA football message board to discuss I-AA football topics. I would think a little buzz about an up and coming I-AA football team would be a good thing, especially one that no-one really knows about. A couple good seasons and a sniff at the playoffs might be enough for the school to throw some money at the Football program and perhaps join another conference, which in my mind... would be good for I-AA football. It is also important to respect teams in the NEC and the PFL. A couple of regular power houses, Delaware and Georgia Southern found out that non-scholly teams aren't just pushovers.

I think what he means is theres about 10 threads all about San Diego and the playoffs. 1 thread is plenty for the topic.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 07:21 PM
With that schedule, they will be hard pressed to rise above the 18-20 range in the polls. That being said, without an auto bid, I don't think its possible for them to make the playoffs.

Stang Fever
October 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Its all about the Quality wins....Show me TWO QUALITY WINS PLEASE ANYONE...I dont think that is hard to do.

POLY 9-2 didnt get in. tons of Quality wins in that schedule.

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Look at what the NEC did to some of the power houses already this year. USD went in and beat Yale.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Look at what the NEC did to some of the power houses already this year. USD went in and beat Yale.

please tell me you don't put Yale in the "quality win" category

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 09:56 PM
please tell me you don't put Yale in the "quality win" category

I currently do...honestly

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Compared to the rest of your schedule, maybe

but in the grand scheme of things, if thats your marquee win, then enjoy watching at home

Torero Tradition
October 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks App... look forward to watching the playoffs whether we are in it or not...but i just think we might get looked at more seriously than most people think... and a lot of that has to do with regionalization and the Big Sky Conf. probably sending one team.

AggieFinn
October 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM
The only way USD will get into the playoffs is if USD trained Chuck Norris gets personally involved...

http://images.zap2it.com/20050922/chucknorris_walkertexasranger_240.jpg

...and if you start playing, and beating, much stronger competition week in and week out. :cool:

Dallas Demon
October 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Here's Northwestern St.'s schedule this year:

Sat, Sep 2 at Kansas L 18-49 --
Sat, Sep 9 at Baylor L 10-47 --
Sat, Sep 16 Delaware State W 23-3 --
Sat, Sep 30 Arkansas-Monticello W 20-3 --
Sat, Oct 7 Sam Houston State L 20-30 --
Sat, Oct 14 at Southeastern Louisiana 7:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 21 at Nicholls State 3:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 28 Texas State 3:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 4 at Mississippi TBA --
Sat, Nov 11 McNeese State 7:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 18 at Stephen F. Austin 8:00 pm

Compared with San Diego's:

Fri, Sep 1 Azusa Pacific W 27-0 --
Sat, Sep 9 Dixie State W 41-7 --
Sat, Sep 16 at Yale W 43-17 --
Sat, Sep 30 at Davidson W 50-21 --
Sat, Oct 7 Butler W 56-3 --
Sat, Oct 14 Valparaiso 10:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 21 at Drake 7:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 28 Morehead State 7:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 4 at Jacksonville 12:30 pm --
Sat, Nov 11 Dayton 9:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 25 at California-Davis 4:05 pm --

Throw out Arkansas-Monticello on our schedule, and UC Davis is arguably the only team on your schedule who could be competitive with the teams on our schedule.

Congrats on getting the wins, but until USD upgrades their schedule there's no justification for getting into the playoffs IMO.: smh :

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks App... look forward to watching the playoffs whether we are in it or not...but i just think we might get looked at more seriously than most people think... and a lot of that has to do with regionalization and the Big Sky Conf. probably sending one team.

Regionalization has nothing to do with the actual selection, that is only done after the best 16 teams in the nation are picked. Regionalization is done only when concerning matchups and brackets

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2006, 12:09 AM

WHO CARES WHAT they did to YALE....IF YALE is all you are going to hang your hat on. then you have nothing to hang your hat on. You make it seem like beating yale is like beating UNH are something.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Can someone please post Yales schedule, and what there record is. Lets just see how much of a quality win this is. cause i just seriously cant take to much more of this bull. USD hasnt played anyone this season. Yes they beat Yale. Maybe they might even beat UC DAVIS but I dont see that happening. So you have 1.5 Quality wins. Please show me more then that. cause i promise you this. Teams that are 7-4 who played some teams with a pulse should get in. If Montana State ended up 6-5 I would rather have them in there. Yes they cant cause of the seven wins. but Put there schedule next to USD and USD wins what 3 maybe 4 games

Tailbone
October 11th, 2006, 12:21 AM
...... but until USD upgrades their schedule there's no justification for getting into the playoffs IMO.: smh :

Not for a rational being.
The selection comittee however has been guilty of some rather odd decisions (Hampton, #3 seed last year, Wofford getting "woofed", etc.).
The SC's lack of consistently applied logic gives hope to those on the bubble....or worse.

October 11th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Can someone please post Yales schedule, and what there record is. Lets just see how much of a quality win this is...Have no fear... I have the sched:
Sat 9/16/2006 San Diego at Yale, San Diego 43-17
Sat 9/23/2006 Yale at Cornell, Yale 21-9
Sat 9/30/2006 Yale at Lafayette, Yale 37-34
Sat 10/7/2006 Yale at Dartmouth, Yale 26-14
Sat 10/14/2006 Lehigh at Yale 1:00 PM
Sat 10/21/2006 Penn at Yale 12:30 PM
Sat 10/28/2006 Columbia at Yale 1:00 PM
Sat 11/4/2006 Yale at Brown 12:30 PM
Sat 11/11/2006 Princeton at Yale 12:30 PM
Sat 11/18/2006 Yale at Harvard 12:00 PM

Mr. C
October 11th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Can someone please post Yales schedule, and what there record is. Lets just see how much of a quality win this is. cause i just seriously cant take to much more of this bull. USD hasnt played anyone this season. Yes they beat Yale. Maybe they might even beat UC DAVIS but I dont see that happening. So you have 1.5 Quality wins. Please show me more then that. cause i promise you this. Teams that are 7-4 who played some teams with a pulse should get in. If Montana State ended up 6-5 I would rather have them in there. Yes they cant cause of the seven wins. but Put there schedule next to USD and USD wins what 3 maybe 4 games
Yale Schedule
vs San Diego L
at Cornell W
at Lafayette W
at Dartmouth W
vs Lehigh
vs Penn
vs Columbia
at Brown
vs Princeton
at Harvard

I saw Yale's win at Lafayette and was impressed with the Bulldogs. I'm waiting for a tape of the Yale-San Diego game.

October 11th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Interesting Yale has 4 of their last 6 games at home after winning three straight on the road. Of course their big game is the last one... Yale @ Harvard.

JALMOND
October 11th, 2006, 01:40 AM

Don't look for San Diego to get in over a second Big Sky team. You'd be putting your SOS against two teams with wins over I-A teams. Do you really think you would be the second best team in the Big Sky this year, over Portland State, Montana State, Northern Arizona or even Idaho State?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Have no fear... I have the sched:
Sat 9/16/2006 San Diego at Yale, San Diego 43-17
Sat 9/23/2006 Yale at Cornell, Yale 21-9
Sat 9/30/2006 Yale at Lafayette, Yale 37-34
Sat 10/7/2006 Yale at Dartmouth, Yale 26-14
Sat 10/14/2006 Lehigh at Yale 1:00 PM
Sat 10/21/2006 Penn at Yale 12:30 PM
Sat 10/28/2006 Columbia at Yale 1:00 PM
Sat 11/4/2006 Yale at Brown 12:30 PM
Sat 11/11/2006 Princeton at Yale 12:30 PM
Sat 11/18/2006 Yale at Harvard 12:00 PM

Comparing the UNH win up in Hanover over Dartmouth makes it extremely difficult for me to rate Yale very highly on a national scale. UNH called off the dogs after two series into the second half and still spanked the Big Green. Believe me, I understand one game is not sufficient to judge a team as I know what conclusions people came to last year after William & Mary trashed my Wildcats. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get an adequate read on Yale until the end of the season, which IMHO neutralizes for the coming weeks any attempt to ride the victory over the Elis toward playoff consideration.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Once San Diego becomes snubbed following November 19, maybe the good thing to come out of all this non-sensical hoopla is the San Diego AD's realization that they have to schedule quality opponents if they want consideration.

DUPFLFan
October 11th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Personally, I think that San Diego has worry about their own conference first. And that is no sure thing...

Black and Gold Express
October 11th, 2006, 09:02 AM

:lmao:

Oh that was a good one. Thanks.

Dane96
October 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Agreed. This is either poor reporting or the PFL commish hasn't been so honest with Ralph!

NO...way...ACE...you dont say. OMG...Patty...you are saying...may have been posturing on radio?! WOW...it would shock me that she would lie to an interviewer:smiley_wi

Dane96
October 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Wait, I thought the GPI is just an indicator used by the selection committee. TORERO...I feel your pain, however the GPI has INDICATED...not PICKED the teams in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, like the NEC and PFL of the past, the bottom line comes down to scheduling. If you played any of the big four (CCSU, ALBANY, STONY BROOK, MONMOUTH...no offense to the others in the NEC...these are just the toughest scheds) schedules and done what you are doing now....IT WOULD BE NO QUESTION....SAN DIEGO WOULD BE IN!

THAT, however, is not the case.

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Please - NAU would be unbeaten with USD's schedule right now....:rolleyes:
As would 50+ other I-AA's

Black and Gold Express
October 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I'm not totally opposed to the last team in being under the "lessons learned" clause. Put in that year's mid-major darling that feels they're better than they are. After a few years of Hampton-like seasons, they'll understand that 11-0 against the Sisters of the Poor doesn't cut it.

LUHawker
October 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Let's get this straight. No way in hell, or on earth, will USD get a playoff bid this year. NO CHANCE. I don't care what the record is or how many 56-3 beatings over powers like Butler they have, it is just not happening. PERIOD. The SOS is pathetic. Please, USD folks, please, don't tell me how USD is only playing the schedule they have and they can't do anything more. The Patriot League schools said the same thing a few years back and that argument was soundly pounded then as well. And you know what, the PL started to win playoff games and upgraded their collective schedules, with solid A-10 and other scholarship programs on the schedule. Let me repeat this: USD will NOT get a playoff bid this year - end of story, period. Start prepping for the UC Davis game now. You've got no other options. Enough already! :mad:

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM
winning three straight on the road
It's also noteworthy that Yale beat the same two Ivies last year and Lafayette is 0-3 vs the Ivy this year. Yale could very well end up 5-5.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Enough already! :mad:
So I'm the only one tired of sifting through these threads, huh? xlolx

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 09:34 AM
BTW, any of you long time posters of I-AA should probably remember the Robert Morris discussions of 2000 when they went 10-0 and the playoff talk was flowing. That died quickly enough, this too shall pass. :nod:

Dane96
October 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Just to clarify...it was Duquense...not Robert Morris...and Albany proudly stomped them in the ECAC Classic because "of bad field conditions, blistering winds..." etc, etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Let me repeat something worth repeating. Really, big things worth repeating. From one of the articles:

In fact, the Toreros are playing so well, they may have a conflict with their final regular season game on Nov. 25 at UC Davis. That's because the Division I-AA playoffs begin Nov. 25.

If the Toreros keep winning, they also would qualify for the Gridiron Classic, a bowl game scheduled for Nov. 18 between the PFL and Northeast Conference champions. That would mean a post-season game before the playoffs.

"We're in communication with all the athletic directors and conference commissioners involved," USD athletic director Ky Snyder said. "It's a little early, and we have to see how this all plays out, so I don't want to jinx us. But we believe there are enough options available."

Point 1. This is not a bunch of fans debating on some message board whether they will be in the playoffs. It's USD's AD.

Point 2. Not only would this mean USD would weasel out of their date with UC-Davis, it would undermine the Gridiron Classic and had the USD AD lose some big $$$.

Point 3. When a NEC team was talking about ditching the Gridiron Classic for the playoffs, Patty came on I-AA Waves and said "the NEC has a contract to put their champion in this postseason game". If a PFL team were able to weasel out of the agreement because they're doing well, it would be hypocrisy of the highest order to let USD play in the playoffs and "skip" the Gridiron Classic.

Point 4. USD appears to be going against her own commissioner - in a game which she (the commish) put together. Is a battle brewing here?

Point 5. If somehow the "Gridiron Classic" goes on - to me, this is an open question since now NEC and PFL teams, giddy with national rankings, seem to want to ditch it based on this article - then doesn't it become a defacto play-in playoff game?

Point 6. Even if they ditch the Gridiron classic and the game versus UC-Davis, isn't it putting an awful lot of faith that the committee will - at best - cut them some slack and put them in the playoffs? Remember, they could be squeezing out a team like, say, Portland State, with I-A losses to Cal, Oregon, and a I-AA loss to nationally-ranked Montana. A lot of people *say* that a 7-4 team won't get consideration over an 11-0 team - especially one with a bunch of weak wins like USD, and I think they would take a 7-4 PSU over a 10-0 or 11-0 USD.

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Just to clarify...it was Duquense...not Robert Morris...and Albany proudly stomped them in the ECAC Classic because "of bad field conditions, blistering winds..." etc, etc.
I was talking about RMU in 2000. Duquesne was 2002 and yes, there was talk then too. RMU was the first one for which I can remember discussion about playoffs with a low schedule rating.

Dane96
October 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Oh....didnt realize they were talking that up in 2000. Yes, the DUKES were 2002.

dbackjon
October 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'm not totally opposed to the last team in being under the "lessons learned" clause. Put in that year's mid-major darling that feels they're better than they are. After a few years of Hampton-like seasons, they'll understand that 11-0 against the Sisters of the Poor doesn't cut it.

Why penalize a deserving playoff team to prove a point? Or maybe you're willing to give up ASU's spot in the playoffs to San Diego to "prove a point".

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Oh....didnt realize they were talking that up in 2000. Yes, the DUKES were 2002.

Yeah Duquesne was good in 2002. Lafayette lost by two at their place. We were not as good as we are now back then, although we went 7-5 (losses to Penn, Princeton, Dukes, Fordham, 'gate)

aceinthehole
October 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Let me repeat something worth repeating. Really, big things worth repeating. From one of the articles:

Point 1. This is not a bunch of fans debating on some message board whether they will be in the playoffs. It's USD's AD.

Point 2. Not only would this mean USD would weasel out of their date with UC-Davis, it would undermine the Gridiron Classic and had the USD AD lose some big $$$.

Point 3. When a NEC team was talking about ditching the Gridiron Classic for the playoffs, Patty came on I-AA Waves and said "the NEC has a contract to put their champion in this postseason game". If a PFL team were able to weasel out of the agreement because they're doing well, it would be hypocrisy of the highest order to let USD play in the playoffs and "skip" the Gridiron Classic.

Point 4. USD appears to be going against her own commissioner - in a game which she (the commish) put together. Is a battle brewing here?

Point 5. If somehow the "Gridiron Classic" goes on - to me, this is an open question since now NEC and PFL teams, giddy with national rankings, seem to want to ditch it based on this article - then doesn't it become a defacto play-in playoff game?

Point 6. Even if they ditch the Gridiron classic and the game versus UC-Davis, isn't it putting an awful lot of faith that the committee will - at best - cut them some slack and put them in the playoffs? Remember, they could be squeezing out a team like, say, Portland State, with I-A losses to Cal, Oregon, and a I-AA loss to nationally-ranked Montana. A lot of people *say* that a 7-4 team won't get consideration over an 11-0 team - especially one with a bunch of weak wins like USD, and I think they would take a 7-4 PSU over a 10-0 or 11-0 USD.

I, like most everyone here, am wondering why we have a dozen threads about USD and the playoffs. Its annoying. The NEC teams (with much bigger wins) have not realisticly talked much about the playoffs. Sure, we feel the NEC teams deserved to be ranked (which they have been), but that's about it. I think our combined wins have done the talking for us.

But back to this thread. I agree 100% with LFN and this is the issue that needs some debate.

Why has the PFL commish gone on record with Ralph insisting the NEC champ must play in this game, when one of her own programs (USD) has publicly stated they are looking for a playoff bid? xidiotx

The NEC Commish (now the SoCon commish) did a great job with our schools building up to schollys and competative programs. The NEC has applied for an AQ and was denied! Patty and the PFL programs have indicated they have no intentions from changing its current FB aid policy.

That is the issue. The NEC has done everything asked by the I-AA establishment to join the club. The PFL comish has maintained that it will be a non-scholly league and had no interest in the playoffs and better scheduling. What gives?!?!

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Oh....didnt realize they were talking that up in 2000.
Yes, but the discussion was much better then IMO. Now it's people all over the map posting crazy hypotheticals and a lot of begging for respect.

DUPFLFan
October 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Why has the PFL commish gone on record with Ralph insisting the NEC champ must play in this game, when one of her own programs (USD) has publicly stated they are looking for a playoff bid? xidiotx

Perhaps the PFL presidents and athletic directors are not in lockstep with Patty V as much as she would want you to believe.:nod:

Drake's new AD, in an interview on radio said that "you don't have to be BCS to act like BCS".:hurray:

Maybe it's time for the PFL to have its own Commissioner and let Patty V keep the Gateway..:hurray:

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I don't feel like USD is begging for respect, and I'm certainly not. I think it is safe to say the most people do NOT RESPECT I-AA non scholarship teams and teams from the PFL and NEC, and that is just the way it is. I do think the PFL and NEC are making strides, and the NEC more so. Some great wins over typical powers this year.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I don't feel like USD is begging for respect, and I'm certainly not. I think it is safe to say the most people do NOT RESPECT I-AA non scholarship teams and teams from the PFL and NEC, and that is just the way it is. I do think the PFL and NEC are making strides, and the NEC more so. Some great wins over typical powers this year.

The NEC is getting respect all around the boards... they even have votes in the top 25 polls. It says something when fans from Montana and elsewhere vote CCSU in the top 25. They deserve it because they beat GSU. Albany beat Delaware and Lehigh. And Monmouth beat Colgate to go along with a strong defense. These are real teams unlike DII and NAIA teams.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
The NEC is getting respect all around the boards... they even have votes in the top 25 polls. It says something when fans from Montana and elsewhere vote CCSU in the top 25. They deserve it because they beat GSU. Albany beat Delaware and Lehigh. And Monmouth beat Colgate to go along with a strong defense. These are real teams unlike DII and NAIA teams.

The NEC respect is deserving, I would agree. I think the confusion lies in the fact that the Toreros are also receiving votes, and are actually ranked in the top 25 in four different polls for I-AA football. They are also in the tops for GPI. It's like people are saying... you suck, but will rank you in the top 25 anyway? I'm not debating if we should be ranked in the top
25, that is just the facts as they currently stand. Of course a loss could change that in a heart beat.

GannonFan
October 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!! The NEC does get a lot of respect in these circles now because as opposed to doing nothing but whine, they went out, as a conference, and have done so for a couple of years, and played some highly ranked opponents. They did and continue to take some lumps, but every now and then they break through with some big wins. San Diego has made no such effort to do so from a scheduling standpoint but seems to want to share in the spoils that the NEC has earned by having some balls and play somebody. That first and foremost is why San Diego does not have a huge groundswell of support in places like this (obviously not all people as per their AGS ranking) and won't as long as they whine and
complain while playing a weak schedule like they have this year.

89Hen
October 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM
:nod: :nod: :nod: ToreroTradition, please print this out and paste it to your keyboard.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM
The NEC respect is deserving, I would agree. I think the confusion lies in the fact that the Toreros are also receiving votes, and are actually ranked in the top 25 in four different polls for I-AA football. They are also in the tops for GPI. It's like people are saying... you suck, but will rank you in the top 25 anyway? I'm not debating if we should be ranked in the top
25, that is just the facts as they currently stand. Of course a loss could change that in a heart beat.

IMO, I don't think voters should be voting for USD. Just because they are undefeated, hearing alot of hype here, and are winning by alot, they are likely recieving votes. Plus it's easier to just peg an undefeated team ranked when you have to research who else should get in the top 25.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I think there is some Truth to that Pard, thanks for your input.

AppGuy04
October 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I think all these threads about San Diego may hurt them in the polls, especially if they struggle in a game. As much as I try to keep emotions out of my voting, all these threads annoy the **** out of me and if San Diego wasn't ranked, they wouldn't be here.

My:twocents:

eaglesrthe1
October 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
All of this squawking sounds a lot like the Duquesne talk during the 02' season.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Some comic relief...

"Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs?"

-Jim Mora :D

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Some comic relief...

"Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs?"

-Jim Mora :D

xlolx

Too bad Jim Harbaugh didn't say that :thumbsup:

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM

We respect them when they earn respect. Check the score from the UNI-Drake game at Drake. The game was at Drake. That's enough respect right there. Drake is far from the worst team in your conference too.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 06:33 PM
We respect them when they earn respect. Check the score from the UNI-Drake game at Drake. The game was at Drake. That's enough respect right there. Drake is far from the worst team in your conference too.

Apparently they took a lot out of you guy's... things didn't go so hot the next week? :eek:

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM
USD gets in. and I am done with I-AA football and the playoff selections people. 9-2 Poly doesnt get in but 10-0 ( wouldnt have played davis yet) does. who didnt play a soul. Let USD tell it they beat YALE. (who cares)

Maverick
October 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Cal-Poly's former AD who is now at UMass is on the selection committee. Doubt that he would let USD get a playoff berth after what happened to his former school. I believe that happened the first season after he left Cal Poly.
Add that to the other stories of schools who played a schedule tha twas light years ahead of what USD has this year and the Toreros should be looking forward to that big UCD game during the first week of the playoffs.

CKelly
October 11th, 2006, 09:37 PM
USD gets in. and I am done with I-AA football and the playoff selections people. 9-2 Poly doesnt get in but 10-0 ( wouldnt have played davis yet) does. who didnt play a soul. Let USD tell it they beat YALE. (who cares)

Stang - I agree and talked about just that point in my column today.

http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101106aag.html

ToreroTime
October 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Stang - I agree and talked about just that point in my column today.

http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101106aag.html

By you bringing up San Diego in your column just shows that San Diego is making some noise. Im not saying were the best team out there, fans are just excited with the success of the team this year.

You also might want to use some sun screen next time you go outside. xlolx

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I LOVE IT CHRIS. JUST GREAT WRITTING.

I would take a schedule like this for USD

Idaho State , Nicholls State , Lafayette, Holy Cross, Western Kentucky. and everyone else on there schedule. I believe they could win 2 maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 3 games out of this one. But until then we have to deal with Dixie State, Azusa Pacific, etc.

If they played these schools and had that record I wouldnt have a problem with them in the playoffs.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM
IMO, I don't think voters should be voting for USD. Just because they are undefeated, hearing alot of hype here, and are winning by alot, they are likely recieving votes. Plus it's easier to just peg an undefeated team ranked when you have to research who else should get in the top 25.
Considering that Layafatte lost to Yale, which lost to San Diego, I would think that Leopard fans would be some of the last fans trashing on the Torreros.

I have no problem voting for San Diego at the No. 23 spot in the two polls that I vote in. And yes, I do research teams (seeing as many I-AA games on tape as I can each week). It is also easy to dismiss a team because they play a weak schedule, instead of digging a little deeper.

Pauly LB
October 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Messers SloStand and C Kelly...

Regarding San Diego -- you both hit the ball on the screws. No way does USD deserve to even be considered for the playoffs. UCDavis will be the toughest game that they play this year and it will not be even close. Even placing them in the top 25 teams (let alone the top 16 teams) is a stretch.

Regarding USD -- very convincing victories over NOBODY !!!

Go Poly
October 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Messers SloStand and C Kelly...

Regarding San Diego -- you both hit the ball on the screws. No way does USD deserve to even be considered for the playoffs. UCDavis will be the toughest game that they play this year and it will not be even close. Even placing them in the top 25 teams (let alone the top 16 teams) is a stretch.

Regarding USD -- very convincing victories over NOBODY !!!

I agree with everything except your comment about 'NOBODY'. I think that is a little harsh. Sure they aren't top 25 teams but they are hardly NOBODY. IMHU. xcoffeex

Retro
October 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM
The only way they could be even considered for the playoffs is if they beat UC-Davis, however that isn't possible because you can't have both being the playoffs start that weekend, so schedule wise USD did 2 things wrong.. The other being not having a quality opponent prior to the playoffs..

The playoffs will be in san diego................

The NFL playoffs!:hurray:

Mustang Man
October 12th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Well I for one would love for USD to get into the playoffs. They will make a great first round bye for Cal Poly.

Tileguy
October 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Once San Diego becomes snubbed following November 19, maybe the good thing to come out of all this non-sensical hoopla is the San Diego AD's realization that they have to schedule quality opponents if they want consideration.
Thats it in a nut shell. A fan of NEC I am glad they are stepping up there comp. level. Bro in law a USD fan out there agrees they need to do the same. Then both conf. can talk playoffs. But not now.

Pauly LB
October 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM
My comment regarding USD's schedule -- YAWN -- at least until you get to the date against UC Davis...

Pard4Life
October 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Considering that Layafatte lost to Yale, which lost to San Diego, I would think that Leopard fans would be some of the last fans trashing on the Torreros.

I have no problem voting for San Diego at the No. 23 spot in the two polls that I vote in. And yes, I do research teams (seeing as many I-AA games on tape as I can each week). It is also easy to dismiss a team because they play a weak schedule, instead of digging a little deeper.

We shot ourselves in the foot that game and cannot beat an Ivy. We would have lost to girls in "Y" helmets if they dressed as such.

Yale's offense is pretty solid, but our defense is something to be desired. Yale's D is also no that impressive. Coupled with the fact that it was Yale's first game with an unknown at QB and their star LB injured the week before the USD game, I'd call that first game a wash... but, a win is a win...

Torero Tradition
October 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
My comment regarding USD's schedule -- YAWN -- at least until you get to the date against UC Davis...

That will be an interesting game with Davis, I think most people tend to think Davis would roll the Toreros easily. I hope Davis and USD both win out until then.

Stang Fever
October 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Overall, San Diego has outscored their opponents 217-48 this year.

Taken from I-AA.org West article today

now that just speaks volumes to the level of comp. you are playing. Maybe Ralph can find some other top 25 teams with out crazy numbers like this. I doubt it.

putter
October 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Personally I like the enthusiasm displayed by the USD fans! I-AA can only benefit from a growing program in a city like San Diego and hey, I wouldn't mind traveling to southern California for the National Championship game!! :eek: xsmileyclapx

ToreroTime
October 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I think a lot of teams would find traveling to San Diego a great idea for recruiting purposes. San Diego and Orange Country produce tons of D1 talent and if UCLA of USC doesnt recruit them they look towards other schools very fast. I know for a fact that each Big Sky and Great West school has at least two or three southern california kids.

FargoBison
October 12th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Some interesting quotes

On Qb Josh Johnson....
“He is the best junior quarterback in the country in my opinion,” said Harbaugh. “I think he is better than a number of NFL quarterbacks right now.”

This one takes the cake....
“Looking at our team, I think we could beat at least half of the teams ranked ahead of us (in the I-AA polls),” said Harbaugh.

I have never seen a coach run his mouth about his team when they have done nothing to deserve the praise he is throwing on them.

grizband
October 12th, 2006, 11:09 PM

now that just speaks volumes to the level of comp. you are playing. Maybe Ralph can find some other top 25 teams with out crazy numbers like this. I doubt it.
Here are 3 top 25 teams with large "Delta" scores:
1999 Georgia Southern - scored 747, gave up 262
1996 Montana - scored 638, gave up 264
1996 Marshall - scored 658, gave up 210

October 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Personally I like the enthusiasm displayed by the USD fans! I-AA can only benefit from a growing program in a city like San Diego and hey, I wouldn't mind traveling to southern California for the National Championship game!! :eek: xsmileyclapxWhen has Montana last played in SLO?

Torero Tradition
October 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM

The other thing to keep in mind... especially since everyone seems to continually rag on the teams USD has played... it's not like the Toreros are undefeated and eeking out wins week after week. We are really playing dominating games. We can't go back and change the schedule for this year... have to play it out... but slamming USD soley based on their schedule can be mis-leading. I think many of you would find they are a good, solid team.

Torero Tradition
October 12th, 2006, 11:26 PM
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81447

"Whatever the future of the Toreros might be, it is clear that they are a Top 25 I-AA team this year and could compete with any I-AA scholarship team. The folks in San Diego need to take notice that Torero football might be the best game in town."

--Kent Schmidt (I-AA West)

I saw Kent didn't address that San Diego is sitll trying to prepare themselves for a run at the playoffs this year. :rotateh:

October 12th, 2006, 11:48 PM
... I saw Kent didn't address that San Diego is sitll trying to prepare themselves for a run at the playoffs this year.Maybe because he knows that would be an embarassment to the school and team. USD has to play in the GC if they can win the PFl and then play UCD. Why are you still talking playoffs?

GoAgs72
October 13th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I'm looking forward to the USD game. The Aggies used to regularly be the only non-scholarship team in the D2 playoffs. We did quite well but never won a national championship most likely because of the lack of depth that scholarships might bring. However, we always did try to play some quality opponents in addition to our conference members who we usually pounded big time. That is where USD is hurting. I think the best choice is to play UC Davis this year as a yardstick and then re-adjust your schedule for next year adding a couple of Great West or Big Sky opponents.

Torero Tradition
October 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
You only have so many non conference games to schedule each year. There are many I-AA teams and even so called I-AA powerhouses that schedule much weaker teams, ie DII and NAIA. I agree we need to step up the out of conference schedule... but so do a lot of other I-AA teams.

GannonFan
October 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
You only have so many non conference games to schedule each year. There are many I-AA teams and even so called I-AA powerhouses that schedule much weaker teams, ie DII and NAIA. I agree we need to step up the out of conference schedule... but so do a lot of other I-AA teams.

Show me one team with playoff hopes that has an OOC schedule weaker than Azuza Pacific, Dixie St., and Yale. Even without considering the conference strength, which you must since that's the bulk of the schedule, the OOC is among the weakest, if not the weakest, of any team who would credibly challenge for the playoffs. No need to throw stones - fix your schedule first before you start pointing fingers at other, better schedules.

FargoBison
October 13th, 2006, 02:36 PM

You have no right to make that statement, those I-AA teams play in tough conferences and play I-A teams. They use lower divisional teams to help balance out their schedules.

Torero Tradition
October 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
So it depends what conference you play in, than it is okay to schedule weaker teams? (lol)

On a serious note, what if we play our conference schedule, then had a non-conference that looked like this:
Asuza Pacific
@ Stephen F. Austin
@ Cal Poly
(insert Ivy, in San Diego)

if we ran our conference schedule and did well with that non-conference would that have a shot for the playoffs in the future?

Dane96
October 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
YES...if you beat 2 out of those three teams that were DIAA...and crushed the rest of your sched...you would get consideration at 10-1, IMHO.

FargoBison
October 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM
So it depends what conference you play in, than it is okay to schedule weaker teams? (lol)

On a serious note, what if we play our conference schedule, then had a non-conference that looked like this:
Asuza Pacific
@ Stephen F. Austin
@ Cal Poly

if we ran our conference schedule and did well with that non-conference would that have a shot for the playoffs in the future?

Yes, the conference matters because playing one Asuza Pacific gets balanced out with a tough conference schedule and a I-A game.

The PFL is the weakest conference in I-AA so I don't think you can have a lower divisional team on the schedule unless you plan on running the table every year.

Sac St or NAU or PSU or UCD
SFA
Cal Poly
Ivy

That would give USD a reasonable shot at the playoffs. I say reasonable because they wouldn't need to go undefeated to get in.

Stang Fever
October 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Asuza Pacific
@ Stephen F. Austin
@ Cal Poly

Play that schedule and I would for sure vot you in. SFA is a little down but dang it cant get any worse then Dixie St (who just moved up from JC ranks). A lot of teams play lower level teams i.e DII teams for home games cause they cant get any I-AA teams to come out and play them. i.e poly, Northern Iowa, etc
but they can do that cause it balances out the hard schedule that they play in conf. and out of cont. ie two I-A games, and games against top ranked teams.

bkrownd
October 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I'd rather see San Diego play than another also-ran bubble team that hardly deserves it. So let the boys play - what y'all afraid of??

GannonFan
October 13th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Asuza Pacific
@ Stephen F. Austin
@ Cal Poly

In all likliehood that would do it, assuming you're no worse than 10-1 with that schedule, and assuming that those 4 OOC teams don't all collectively have rotten years (yeah, it stinks that you can't predict if teams will be good enough but that's life).

Oh, and one more important thing - you need to play all of those games before the playoffs start - you don't get credit for scheduling good OOC games after Thanksgiving! ;)

89Hen
October 13th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I'd rather see San Diego play than another also-ran bubble team that hardly deserves it. So let the boys play - what y'all afraid of??
Hardly deserves it by how? Because they lost to teams in the top 40 of I-AA and I-A? :rolleyes:

UAalum72
October 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Hardly deserves it by how?
By only finishing fourth in their own conference.

Mr. C
October 13th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Show me one team with playoff hopes that has an OOC schedule weaker than Azuza Pacific, Dixie St., and Yale. Even without considering the conference strength, which you must since that's the bulk of the schedule, the OOC is among the weakest, if not the weakest, of any team who would credibly challenge for the playoffs. No need to throw stones - fix your schedule first before you start pointing fingers at other, better schedules.
Can we once and for all quit trashing Yale? I know you don't think much of the GPI, but it has Yale ranked 31st in the country this week. I am one of many people who has been all over San Diego for scheduling Non-D-I teams like Azusa Pacific and Dixie State. But if you had taken the time to watch them, you would know that Yale is a pretty good team and that is actually a good win for San Diego on the road.

GOTOREROS
October 14th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Yale just beat Lehigh 26-20. I suspect that helps San Diego's win over Yale look much better.....

GOTOREROS

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Just a little.. ;)

Torero Tradition
October 16th, 2006, 11:54 PM
San Diego's game this weekend should be their biggest test in the PFL yet.
Will be interesting to see what happens. I also don't know why people continually trash Yale. Trashing the USD schedule I understand... Yale... I don't...

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:01 AM
How's your rush defense? What where Phaydavong's stats against USD last year? Final score?

Torero Tradition
October 17th, 2006, 12:07 AM
SAN DIEGO CURRENTLY AT 6-0 and putting up Playoff Team Caliber Numbers

Through six games this season the Toreros find themselves ranked as a team in 21 I-AA Top-25 statistical categories, but more importantly, in the Top-5 in twelve statistical departments:
1st in total offense (510.17 yards);
1st in scoring offense (47.50 ppg);
1st in 3rd down conversion percentage (69.2%),
1st in scoring defense (9.2 ppg);
1st in punt return yardage defense (0.0);
2nd in passing offense (290.0 ypg);
2nd in passing efficiency (175.01 rating);
2nd in kickoff returns (29.0 ave.);
2nd in pass efficiency defense (80.15 rating);
3rd in total defense (204.50 ypg);
4th in pass defense (116.0 ypg);
4th in turnovers lost (4).

Additional top-10 statistics include:
6th in fumbles lost (2);
7th in rushing defense (88.5 ypg);
9th in turnover margin (+1.17);
10th in rushing offense (220.17 ypg)

Josh Johnson, USD's outstanding junior quarterback, continues to rank among the national leaders. The "Payton Watch" candidate ranks nationally in six I-AA statistical categories - 1st in points responsible for (26.67 ppg); 2nd in total offense (324.8 ypg); 3rd in total passing yards (1,607); 3rd in passing efficiency (176.8 rating); 4th in passing yards per game (267.83); and 8th in passing (20.5 completions per game).

USDFAN_55
October 17th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Drake-Phaydavong, S. 27-244 last year in nail biter USD victory. This is a lot better defense this year, but then again Phaydavong is probably better also. Should be a great game.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Phaydavong looked pretty quick against UNI. He never had much of a chance to run though. When he did get to the corner he broke a few decent runs. Sounds like he ran all over you last year. Will be interesting to see what happens. We'll see if your rushing D stats can hold up against him.

USDFAN_55
October 17th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Phaydavong looked pretty quick against UNI. He never had much of a chance to run though. When he did get to the corner he broke a few decent runs. Sounds like he ran all over you last year. Will be interesting to see what happens. We'll see if your rushing D stats can hold up against him.
Maybe the offense can stay on the field for long periods to keep Phaydavong out of the game.

BigApp
October 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
this is 1st page material!

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 05:52 PM
They will have alot to talk about while they sit at home and watch the playoffs on TV. xcoffeex

USD should infact be sitting at home watching on TV... but they might make it in and this has me worried. :mad:

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Drake-Phaydavong, S. 27-244 last year in nail biter USD victory. This is a lot better defense this year, but then again Phaydavong is probably better also. Should be a great game.

Should have been a great game... but USD blew them out

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 09:24 PM
Can we once and for all quit trashing Yale? I know you don't think much of the GPI, but it has Yale ranked 31st in the country this week. I am one of many people who has been all over San Diego for scheduling Non-D-I teams like Azusa Pacific and Dixie State. But if you had taken the time to watch them, you would know that Yale is a pretty good team and that is actually a good win for San Diego on the road.

I thought Yale was good when we played them, and now I think they are proving a lot of people wrong. Currently they sit a top of the IVY LEAGUE xsmileyclapx

JDC325
October 31st, 2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/hinckley/hinkleygun2.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/370000/images/_371604_crack_smoking150.jpg

Mountaineer
October 31st, 2006, 10:02 PM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5079/iaanotoo6.jpg

Death Dealer
October 31st, 2006, 10:52 PM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5079/iaanotoo6.jpg

Classic!:nod:

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
THE GPI DON'T LIE

Stang Fever
October 31st, 2006, 11:59 PM
SAN DIEGO CURRENTLY AT 6-0 and putting up Playoff Team Caliber Numbers

Through six games this season the Toreros find themselves ranked as a team in 21 I-AA Top-25 statistical categories, but more importantly, in the Top-5 in twelve statistical departments:
1st in total offense (510.17 yards);
1st in scoring offense (47.50 ppg);
1st in 3rd down conversion percentage (69.2%),
1st in scoring defense (9.2 ppg);
1st in punt return yardage defense (0.0);
2nd in passing offense (290.0 ypg);
2nd in passing efficiency (175.01 rating);
2nd in kickoff returns (29.0 ave.);
2nd in pass efficiency defense (80.15 rating);
3rd in total defense (204.50 ypg);
4th in pass defense (116.0 ypg);
4th in turnovers lost (4).

Additional top-10 statistics include:
6th in fumbles lost (2);
7th in rushing defense (88.5 ypg);
9th in turnover margin (+1.17);
10th in rushing offense (220.17 ypg)

Josh Johnson, USD's outstanding junior quarterback, continues to rank among the national leaders. The "Payton Watch" candidate ranks nationally in six I-AA statistical categories - 1st in points responsible for (26.67 ppg); 2nd in total offense (324.8 ypg); 3rd in total passing yards (1,607); 3rd in passing efficiency (176.8 rating); 4th in passing yards per game (267.83); and 8th in passing (20.5 completions per game).

Seriously stop posting about USD and there stats. WHO THE HECK DID THESE NUMBERS COME UP AGAINST. if you are going to post numbers like this show me the stats of the teams that you put up such great numbers and were they rank

USD is a good team. I agree with that because they bring it every game and they beat the teams that they are suppose to win. I imagine that if they did play someone they could score but please dont believe its going to be 44pts., but its there own fault for not playing some good teams to prove that. YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOU ARE AS GOOD AS YOU SAY BY PLAYING SOMEONE

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 12:18 AM
THE GPI DON'T LIE

I think you need to shorten your arguments, four words is just a little too wordy for us.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:28 AM
I think you need to shorten your arguments, four words is just a little too wordy for us.

Well he got bashed for using STATS and such earlier in another thread. Someone said they weren't going to waste their Sunday reading his LONG post. Can you let us all know what the exact ammount of words is OK? :D

November 1st, 2006, 12:40 AM
Phaydavong looked pretty quick against UNI. He never had much of a chance to run though. When he did get to the corner he broke a few decent runs. Sounds like he ran all over you last year. Will be interesting to see what happens. We'll see if your rushing D stats can hold up against him.Phaydavong vs. UNI: 25-94
vs. USD: 19-51
USD DU
FIRST DOWNS................... 21 14
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 35-226 36-75
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 287 125
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 27-19-0 27-12-0
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 62-513 63-200
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 3-10 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 0-0 7-87
Interception Returns-Yards.... 0-0 0-0
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-35.5 7-37.4
Fumbles-Lost.................. 2-1 2-0
Penalties-Yards............... 7-56 6-29
Possession Time............... 31:17 28:43
Third-Down Conversions........ 6 of 12 1 of 12
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 1 1 of 4
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 4-5 0-1
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 2-17 1-2

UNI DU
FIRST DOWNS................... 21 16
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 33-162 37-109
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 286 173
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 27-22-0 25-11-2
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 60-448 62-282
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 0-0 1-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 2-120 3-56
Interception Returns-Yards.... 2-16 0-0
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-44.0 6-34.5
Fumbles-Lost.................. 1-1 0-0
Penalties-Yards............... 7-54 7-66
Possession Time............... 29:03 30:57
Third-Down Conversions........ 7 of 11 6 of 14
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 0 0 of 1
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 5-5 0-1
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-3 1-8

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM
when were these games played. and I see the point you are making here. but pleae dive in and tell a littlbe bit more

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
I think Ralph is simply saying USD did a better job of stopping the Drake running game than UNI did. Ralph can correct me if I'm wrong...

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 01:00 AM
thats the team A beat team B so team C stuff. I dont believe in any of that

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 01:06 AM
thats the team A beat team B so team C stuff. I dont believe in any of that

I agree. That is why you can't prove USD wouldn't beat Poly! :D

November 1st, 2006, 01:07 AM
when were these games played. and I see the point you are making here. but pleae dive in and tell a littlbe bit moreUNI called off the dogs after three quarters, USD did not.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 01:08 AM
UNI called off the dogs after three quarters, USD did not.

Hey, Harbaugh took a knee at the end of the Drake game. I bet we could have scored again.......:D

Go Apps
November 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM
NO WAY YOU MAKE IT!

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
NO WAY YOU MAKE IT!

Based on what? San Diego is highly ranked in all polls, #10 in the GPI and currently has the #1 ranked offense in I-AA football.

-

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM
Based on what? San Diego is highly ranked in all polls, #10 in the GPI and currently has the #1 ranked offense in I-AA football.

-

Stick to your motto.

Atta boy!

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 01:46 PM
San Diego fans are actually rooting for Montana this week... if Cal Poly doesn't make it in, more chance for USD

BillLuc1982
November 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Hey, Harbaugh took a knee at the end of the Drake game. I bet we could have scored again.......:D

Tressel would be taking knees in the third quarter.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Tressel would be taking knees in the third quarter.

"It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around. I gotta send you back to the South Pole."

BillLuc1982
November 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM

-

I'm sure half of I-AA teams would have the highest ranked offense if they played High School teams every week.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM
I'm sure half of I-AA teams would have the highest ranked offense if they played High School teams every week.

Where on the schedule did you see high school games? Wow, talk about uninformed : smh :

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 07:40 PM
Where on the schedule did you see high school games? Wow, talk about uninformed : smh :

all I see is alot of hot air with those sorry teams. except Yale

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM

I also saw someone say you play marshmellows. Seriously, I could not find that anywhere on your schedule, that guy was even more uniformed! He thought you actually play football games against MARSHMELLOWS!! WOW!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM
It's not like USD is winning 17-16 in double overtime, 7-3, 2-0.
They are blowing those teams out. They have a highly talented team.
Hampton got in with a cupcake schedule and was barely winning games.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 08:09 PM
all I see is alot of hot air with those sorry teams. except Yale

why doesn't the Yale win convince you... it was at there place...
why doesn't all our rankings convince you we can play? how are we ranked that high? Don't the stats tell you anything? Have you even seen some of the players on the USD team or their coaching staff... this team is talented and well coached.

grizband
November 1st, 2006, 08:32 PM
why doesn't the Yale win convince you... it was at there place...
why doesn't all our rankings convince you we can play? how are we ranked that high? Don't the stats tell you anything? Have you even seen some of the players on the USD team or their coaching staff... this team is talented and well coached.
The Yale game was nice sure, but for your first question:

why doesn't all our rankings convince you we can play?
Because the games are played on the field, not in the rankings. So far this season, you have earned your ranking beating up on one Ivy school, an NAIA team, a division 2 team, and non-scholarship teams. Now, you may think the competition doesn't matter, but it in fact, does. Yale is your best win...lets say that slowly, once again...Yale is your best win. You have not played an App. St., a Montana, a New Hampshire, not one win that when someone looks at your schedule makes them say "Wow, now that wa s a great game." Look at some of the other teams in your boat:

Montana St. an Portland St. both beat I-A teams
Coastal Carolina beat Furman
Cal Poly beat SDSU (yes, I know they wouldn't play you)

Im not saying USD shouldn't be in the playoffs. What I don't agree with is the arguments many fans give, along with the attitude they show (as if we owe them something). If you don't make the playoffs this season, schedule some more difficult non conference games, which will bolster your standings.

CopperCat
November 1st, 2006, 10:16 PM
My question is why the administrators of this fabulous website haven't cracked down on all the USD crap that is going on! They already have about 8 different threads going, and they only need one! USD should be on ESPN's Mike and Mike in the Morning Show on the segment where they nominate those who should "JUST SHUT UP.":bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 10:18 PM
My question is why the administrators of this fabulous website haven't cracked down on all the USD crap that is going on! They already have about 8 different threads going, and they only need one! USD should be on ESPN's Mike and Mike in the Morning Show on the segment where they nominate those who should "JUST SHUT UP.":bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Did you hear? It's "San Diego Month"!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

CopperCat
November 1st, 2006, 10:18 PM
Good points grizband. But I will take it a step further: USD NO WAY NO HOW BELONGS IN THE PLAYOFFS. They would be taking away a spot from another team that had way more reason to be there than them. I'm done talking about USD. This makes my blood pressure go up.:mad:

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM
Good points grizband. But I will take it a step further: USD NO WAY NO HOW BELONGS IN THE PLAYOFFS. They would be taking away a spot from another team that had way more reason to be there than them. I'm done talking about USD. This makes my blood pressure go up.:mad:

You're probably right. But it would make for great TV......

grizband
November 1st, 2006, 10:38 PM
You're probably right. But it would make for great TV......
I will admit, I am curious to see what San Diego might do in the playoff, if given the chance. That said, curiosity is not enough to get San Diego into the playoffs, and I don't believe San Diego has the laurels to stand on right now.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 10:49 PM
I will admit, I am curious to see what San Diego might do in the playoff, if given the chance. That said, curiosity is not enough to get San Diego into the playoffs, and I don't believe San Diego has the laurels to stand on right now.

I don't disagree......

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=Torero Tradition]why doesn't the Yale win convince you... it was at there place...
Simple...its the only win against someone worth a fart. You talk about Yale like they are a National Power or something. like you just took down App st., Montana, etc. Yes Yale is putting together a pretty good season. So if Yale is a 10 (out of a 1-10 scale) what the heck number would you give Azusa Pacific, Dixie St. etc I hope nothing higher then a 4. Yes You are blowing all the cup cakes out....imagine if you didnt. I would pray that you were good enough to blow these teams out. is USD good enough to beat some top teams. maybe, but your coach, your Ad had how many months to replace Azusa Pacific, Dixie St with: Sac St., Southern Utah, Weber St, Texas St, Eastern Washington, even Savannah St. (all are at the bottom of there conference) and each of these teams would more then likely be undefeated against those teams you play, except YALE

why doesn't all our rankings convince you we can play?
Another easy answer. If your best football player in high school went and played awhole season against the JV teams in there league and had out of these world numbers, does that mean he is the best player in the country. No. okay. say a Heavy Weight boxer went down and played against all the middle weights out there and knocked each and everyone of them out. does that mean he should get a title shot. NO

So putting up great numbers against unequal opponents does not mean anything to anyone. The team is good no doubt about it. *against that level of comp.
how are we ranked that high?

I would not have you ranked so high. As more teams step up you will be leaped frogged.

Don't the stats tell you anything?
Yes they do tell you a lot about a team. There is a reason why GSU quarterback never won the walter payton award. Those were all padded stats which came in all blow out games against far unequal talent. When every game you play in is a blow out it says one of two things, either the teams you play are really sorry, or you are playing teams far below your level. Which means you should either replace those teams from your schedule or be glad you are not playing better teams.

Have you even seen some of the players on the USD team or their coaching staff...

NO I have not. Have you seen UNI play, have you seen Portland St play, have you seen Southern Illionios play. I judge you by your wins on quality teams. the main point being QUALITY VICTORIES. YALE IS THE ONLY ONE.

this team is talented and well coached.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM
One thing working in USD's favor is going to be the lack of teams in the west, especially if Cal Poly loses a couple to close out. What if they Big Sky only gets one team in, same for Southland.... an Undefeated San Diego, one that is highly ranked would make sense... to balance out the field.

grizband
November 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM
One thing working in USD's favor is going to be the lack of teams in the west, especially if Cal Poly loses a couple to close out. What if they Big Sky only gets one team in, same for Southland.... an Undefeated San Diego, one that is highly ranked would make sense... to balance out the field.
Teams are not chosen by region for the playoffs. The top 8 at large teams are selected, then grouped, along with the 8 auto bid teams, according to geography.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight (like it doesn't enter into their minds when selecting the 8 auto-bids) hmmm... we dont have any teams out west to play montana because they are all 7-4, who should we pick.... oh look, San Diego is undefeated... they have the best offense in the country, they are highly ranked... okay, you got your wish Jimmy Harbaugh.... NEXT STOP MISSOULA

GRIZZLY4EVER
November 2nd, 2006, 06:23 AM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight (like it doesn't enter into their minds when selecting the 8 auto-bids) hmmm... we dont have any teams out west to play montana because they are all 7-4, who should we pick.... oh look, San Diego is undefeated... they have the best offense in the country, they are highly ranked... okay, you got your wish Jimmy Harbaugh.... NEXT STOP MISSOULA

Come on up to Missoula and you will find what a true D1-AA powerhouse is and your stay in the playoffs will be short lived.

GO GRIZ

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
that game would get huge media attention... hope it happens

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM

lets get this right. they have the No. 1 statistically ranked offense in the country. they don't have the top offense in the country.

Black and Gold Express
November 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
-

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

That was a good one. Wake me up when you play a defense worth a damn. Better yet, bring your sorry butts up to Boone and see what a real defense will do to your "#1 offense". Maybe you can crack the 200 yard mark in total offense by the end of the game. Maybe.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM

Please, review some past playoff selections and give us some examples that you think would validate your comment.

Seriously. We're all waiting...

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Please, review some past playoff selections and give us some examples that you think would validate your comment.

Seriously. We're all waiting...

One example was Lehigh over Cal Poly in 2004... it easier for them to balance out the field that way.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
One example was Lehigh over Cal Poly in 2004... it easier for them to balance out the field that way.

or that Lehigh had a better resume, at 9-2 with a nine-game winning streak in the middle of the season, and losses to Villanova (A-10) and Lafayette (PL co-champion, with Lehigh).

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
San Diego has a 17 game winning streak dating back to last year...

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM

A. start using the quote button so we know what you're talking about. I thought you were just spewing out random facts until I went back and re-read my post.

B. I misspoke, Lehigh beat Stony Brook in the opener, lost to Villanova, then won eight straight. And when you beat six Ivy/Patriot caliber schools in consecutive weeks, let me know.

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM

Your DI wins <Other eligible teams DI wins

No selection. Sorry. End of story.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
And when you beat six Ivy/Patriot caliber schools in consecutive weeks, let me know.

what if we just beat the best IVY team... don't want to play the rest of the cream-puffs.

BeauFoster
November 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
what if we just beat the best IVY team... don't want to play the rest of the cream-puffs.

Playing an entire season in a power conference exposes weaknesses in teams that would normally go un-noticed during a season such as the current USD season. Playing games against ASU, Furman, and GSU or UNH, UMass, and JMU in three consecutive weeks shows much more mettle than playing one current mid-pack Ivy could ever possibly show. Again, a Torero arguement that can't stand up to reason.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM

that's quite possibly the poorest response I've read on here yet. forgetting the fact that Yale hasn't played Harvard or Princeton yet, winning one game against quality competition is a lot different than winning six.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
People are really clinging on to the hopes that the schedule of San Diego will keep them out of the playoffs... because everyone knows they are a playoff caliber team and thus will take up one of their spots
"their" meaning scholarship teams

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
People are really clinging on to the hopes that the schedule of San Diego will keep them out of the playoffs... because everyone knows they are a playoff caliber team and thus will take up one of their spots

I think you're clinging to the hope that the committee will overlook your strength of schedule, not the other way around.

We're clinging to reality.

BigApp
November 2nd, 2006, 10:27 PM
no.

Frosty The Snowbuff
November 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
WILL IT EVER END?????????????????????????

I've Seen About 15 Topics involving San Diego and Playoffs....

Did Hampton even get THIS much attention last year???

Seesh....

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
I think probably cause USD is a mid-major and the fact that Hampton plays in an auto-bid conference might have something to do with the amount of interest in this topic.

USD being ranked this year is only the 3rd time in the history of I-AA football that this has happened, and San Diego this year has had the most buzz for actually getting selected.

Dayton was the last team to make noise, but they were not undefeated and didn't have a great win (YALE this year).

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
WILL IT EVER END?????????????????????????

I've Seen About 15 Topics involving San Diego and Playoffs....

Did Hampton even get THIS much attention last year???

Seesh....

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

there wasn't really anything to talk about with Hampton, they earned an automatic bid.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
and they proved they didn't deserve it!

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM

Nope, I don't/can't feel that way...My team will get in if we win our conference (which will need some help and we need to win out, but nothing impossible). If SD goes undefeated, they should be compared the night the season ends with the other eligible teams, and the best 8 should be picked...I don't think however, that an undefeated season by San Diego gives them the right to be guaranteed a spot...:twocents:

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
and they proved they didn't deserve it!

Why? They won the conference championship of an autobid conference...if you're saying that the MEAC is undeserving than that's a different argument...

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
Well... the MEAC was undeserving last year... but apparently over time they must have been deserving... that's how they got it right? Apologies to the MEAC

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Well... the MEAC was undeserving last year... but apparently over time they must have been deserving... that's how they got it right? Apologies to the MEAC

every game has a winner and a loser . . it doesn't mean the team that lost or the league they came from was undeserving. over time, maybe, if they give a consistently inferior performance . . but not in one year. come on, be smarter than that.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
i agree...

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
i agree...

that's convenient, 15 minutes ago you were badmouthing the PL and the MEAC.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:13 AM

Huh? Lehigh over Cal Poly to balance the field?

Please, get a clue before you post. Your argument above just destroyed your own argument to include USD this year. xlolx xlolx xlolx

E Wash went all the way to S. Ill instead of Cal Poly. If the committee wanted to "balance the field", they would have selected Cal Poly to pair two western teams.

Guess the committee doesn't really want to "balance the field".

Oh, forgot. Same year they selected 4 A-10 teams and 2 Patriot teams. Bet the South and Midwest thought a lot about that "balance".