PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread Liberty @ Charleston Southern

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
CSU (10-2) is coming off a loss @ Gardner Webb. Liberty (7-4) is on a 4 game winning streak. CSU is in a win and in with the BSC Auto-Bid situation. If Liberty wins, they will be in a BSC championship tie with Coastal. Coastal would win the head to head tie breaker and receive the Auto Bid. Coastal should be in the playoff field either way. Most believe CSU is out with a loss. Some believe that is LU wins and several key bubble teams lose, they will have a slim shot at a playoff bid. Anyway, a lot on the line in this one.

https://www.liberty.edu/media/1912/football/gamenotes/2013/2013_Football_Games_Notes_vs_Charleston_Southern.p df

kdinva
November 22nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Which Liberty offense will show up........the one that scored 45 vs. CCU, or only 17 vs. VMI (in Lynchburg)? Plus, VMI held CSU to 25 points, LU must keep CSU in the 20's to have a chance, I feel.......

Sandlapper Spike
November 22nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Must win for Charleston Southern. That game is an 11 am kickoff, too, the third time this season CSU has played an 11 am home game. I wonder if that will affect Liberty at all.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Must win for Charleston Southern. That game is an 11 am kickoff, too, the third time this season CSU has played an 11 am home game. I wonder if that will affect Liberty at all.

They've said all week that it's no big deal, but we shall see. I think the guys are still so hype to get rid of that bad taste that CCU 2 OT lost left in their mouths. I say 31-21 LU. The key to stopping CSU is to slow down Reyes and I feel very confident LU's D can do that just fine. Then CSU has to throw, and it INT time.

CSU18
November 22nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
I absolutely hate this matchup. LU has had CSU's number for years (as have a lot of other teams). It is definitely not a stage that CSU is accustomed to playing on. With all that said, I think this is a much different CSU team than in years past - CSU pulls out a close one and wins 28-24 to advance to their first ever FCS playoff spot.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2013, 11:40 AM
That's the other thing I think LU will be mindful of. Don't let CSU get their first Playoff Berth before you.

kdinva
November 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Flames up 21-0, 3:03 to go in 2nd........CSU 0-4 passing w/2 picks......51 total yards so far for Chuck......LU 12-15 passing.......

New Bucs Fan
November 23rd, 2013, 11:15 AM
That's the other thing I think LU will be mindful of. Don't let CSU get their first Playoff Berth before you.

Nothing like watching your head coach totally change play calling in last two weeks

kdinva
November 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Liberty with another INT.......returned to the CSU 20.......but LU misses a short FG........0:32 in the half..

New Bucs Fan
November 23rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Liberty with another INT.......returned to the CSU 20.......but LU misses a short FG........0:32 in the half..

Embarrassing performance by us. Classless by Liberty throwing when up by 35 in fourth. If you hadn't choked against Coastal you wouldn't have to share rings. At least you get half a title though.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
LU making a statement. Up 49 - 7 in the 4th. Wow!

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
Got to make a statement for the committee.

Twentysix
November 23rd, 2013, 12:50 PM
Liberty played 2 sub DI's (Kentucky Wesleyan and Brevard), I don't think 6-4 is going to even sniff the playoffs...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Wow...you're one win away from your first FCS playoff appearance ever and you don't even show up.

Twentysix
November 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Wow...you're one win away from your first FCS playoff appearance ever and you don't even show up.

Theyve thrown 4 ints, potentially a 56 point swing.

New Bucs Fan
November 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Youth + pressure will do that. We played poorly today but most of us are back next year.

CSU18
November 23rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
That's what I was afraid of - obviously not quite ready for a stage that big. Lot coming back next year, so I look forward to seeing what we can do.

kdinva
November 23rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
bubble teams like W&M, Delaware, Sam Houston, maybe Lehigh now licking their chops.......

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
First ranked road win for the Flames since the 08 win vs Youngstown. Huge win. Jacob Hagan, Des Rice, and Josh Woodrum stepped up big time. Huge win. Now we need some bubble losses.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
CSU had 5 completions to their players and 4 to LU DBS. LU had 5 incompletions the whole game.

CoastalFan2005
November 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Embarrassing performance by us. Classless by Liberty throwing when up by 35 in fourth. If you hadn't choked against Coastal you wouldn't have to share rings. At least you get half a title though.

Uh...no. If Liberty has any hope of making the playoffs, they needed to run up the score on you guys. Sorry you don't like it, but that's just how it is.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
YEP! Now we need those other bubble teams to LOSE!

kdinva
November 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Classless by Liberty throwing when up by 35 in fourth.

Rocco did that a couple of times vs. VMI...........shocked Gill would do so

Sly Fox
November 23rd, 2013, 07:17 PM
We had to make a statement to the selection committee. Thanks for having our backs on this one, CoastalFan2005. Most of those 4th quarter passes were from a redshirt freshman with scant game experience. We've been blessed to have Woodrum healthy nearly all season.

CID1990
November 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM

Then intercept it and run it back for a TD if you don't like it.

A playoff team doesn't lose by that margin.

Libertine
November 23rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
It had nothing to do with running up the score. Please. The backups were in. If we wanted to run up the score, we wouldn't have taken a knee on the CSU 10-yard line at the end of the game. The truth is I've never seen such irresponsible and undisciplined defensive play in my life. 3rd and 5 in a game you're already down by 35 in the 4th quarter and you bring an 11-man blitz? What did you think was going to happen? And how many defensive penalties did CSU have today? I'm really curious to know because I stopped counting when it hit double-digits.