PDA

View Full Version : GATEWAY predictions week 3....a bit of separation?

birdsflyhigh
October 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Week 3 in the Gateway should include THE best I-AA game in the nation with SIU traveling to Normal and going up against ISU in the Redbirds homecoming game. Two top ten teams battling it out in an ultra-important GFC game. Also the YSU Penguins vs. WIU Leathernecks in Macomb game should also be a dandy. Then it's the WKU Hilltoppers in what could be a tougher than expected game at the MSU Bears Plaster Field. Rounding it out should be a gimme game for UNI's Panthers as they travel to Terre Haute to take on a free-falling Sycamore team that has lost something like 22 in a row (I've lost count). Here's some predictions:

UNI @ IN St. 38-27 UNI Panthers Sycs put some points up at home, but the back-on-track and refocused Panthers continue winning.

WKU @ MSU 24-17 WKU Hilltoppers Wouldn't put MSU as a Gateway gimme game when they are playing at home, but WKU needs this one and since they let a home victory slip by last week, they MUST get a road W

YSU @ WIU 35-34 YSU Penguins WOW! Serious battle that could go either way. WIU is back home after 3 weeks on the road and it's homecoming. The Leathernecks need a W or they'll just be playing out the string for the rest of the year. YSU has not had much sucess on the Gateway road, but this is a game they can ill afford to lose with IL St., UNI and SIU still to play. Something's got to give!

SIU @ ISU 34-31 IL St Redbirds The week's BEST I-AA game! Whichever team wins could be in the GFC driver's seat. It's ISU's homecoming (with an expected crowd of around 17,000), and it's the second oldest rivalry in the Gateway, so the atmosphere will be CRAZY!!!
SIU's Arkee Whitlock is coming off national offensive player of the week, and ISU counters with their own big-time RB Pierre Rembert. The Birds QB Luke Drone and pre-season I-AA All-American Laurent Robinson (still playing injured) come up BIG in a game that the Redbirds NEED if they intend to win the GFC crown. Unbelievable game!!!!

The YSU-WIU and ISU-SIU games both have major ramifications in the Gateway race. Okay, what do you guys see happening this week? :rotateh:

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Winners:

Illinois State.
UNI
YSU
WKU

But, all but the UNI game shoudl be nailbiters.

birdsflyhigh
October 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM
So yeah, the title of the thread was meant to read "a bit of separation" NOT separtion....argh! Sorry about that :o

shakdaddy3
October 10th, 2006, 02:24 PM
IlSU
WIU
WKU
UNI

however, i don't agree with your UNI or WKU score... i think they will be much bigger blowouts, especially the UNI game... InSU only get past 20 points if UNI is already at 60 IMO...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SATURDAY!

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM
UNI begins it's drive for the crown next week at YSU. Giant logjam of overhyped GFC teams in top ten breaks apart. UNI, game by game, creeps in, ends up a seed.

Mark my words.

birdsflyhigh
October 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Overhyped top 10 GFC teams? Cap'n Cat, not sure how you arrive at that? I think UNI is improving every week, but so far it's been MSU last week and hapless IN St. this week (good way to get a couple Ws). The Panthers then have YSU, WIU, WKU, SIU and IL St to play....guess we'll see how far the Panthers have come along when they start playing the real Gateway teams.

I like the improving Panthers, but am not convinced that after next week UNI is going to turn on the jets and take down the upper level GFC teams.

Hmmmm? Overhyped Gateway teams huh? That's bulletin board material for the rest of the conference...better watch out Panthers...just ribbin' you Cap'n :D

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Overhyped top 10 GFC teams? Cap'n Cat, not sure how you arrive at that? I think UNI is improving every week, but so far it's been MSU last week and hapless IN St. this week (good way to get a couple Ws). The Panthers then have YSU, WIU, WKU, SIU and IL St to play....guess we'll see how far the Panthers have come along when they start playing the real Gateway teams.

I like the improving Panthers, but am not convinced that after next week UNI is going to turn on the jets and take down the upper level GFC teams.

Hmmmm? Overhyped Gateway teams huh? That's bulletin board material for the rest of the conference...better watch out Panthers...just ribbin' you Cap'n :D

None of the top five GFC teams has truly done anything this season, in my estimation (exception: SIU v IU). The ones in the Top Ten are living on baseless hype. UNI is where it's at due to that UND loss. So be it. The rankings of GFC teams are all artificial and speculative now.

Remember, too - UNI was "out of it" last year, then won seven in a row.

That's what I meant. I love 'em all, but great towers begin to crumble and fall, potentially this weekend.......... Big Four GFC fans are nervous.

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
None of the top five GFC teams has truly done anything this season, in my estimation (exception: SIU v IU). The ones in the Top Ten are living on baseless hype. UNI is where it's at due to that UND loss. So be it. The rankings of GFC teams are all artificial and speculative now.

Remember, too - UNI was "out of it" last year, then won seven in a row.

That's what I meant. I love 'em all, but great towers begin to crumble and fall, potentially this weekend.......... Big Four GFC fans are nervous.

Illinois State's almost win against Kansas State was impressive, IMGO.

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Illinois State's almost win against Kansas State was impressive, IMGO.

Yes, as was UNI's v Iowa State.

birdsflyhigh
October 10th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I think the IL St. 1 point loss at Kansas St is a lot more impressive than SIU's road win over a woeful Indiana team. And the Birds have also thrown down top 25 EIU, beat WKU in Bowling Green (not sure if the Panthers could pull that off), and dispatched a pretty decent UCA Bears team. You're unjustifed talk is IMHO unjustifed.

Damn Cap'n, I'll give you this you're really high on your Panthers (which is cool). However, I think you're seriously discounting the upper level Gateway teams by calling them overhyped

WIU's Leathernecks have played Wisconsin, SIU and WKU all on the road
WKU's Hilltoppers have played Georgia, IL St., WIU and EKU all good teams
SIU's Salukis have had wins over WKU and Indiana...I'll give you Lockhaven and Ark-Pine Bluff
YSU's Penguins played Penn St., and UC-Davis a couple of very good teams

Wonder what YSU, SIU or other IL St posters think of your "overhyped" Gateway statement. Hey, I'm with you on the Panther wagon, but think the waters are going to getting pretty choppy when they take on the "real" GFC teams. :eyebrow:

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I think the IL St. 1 point loss at Kansas St is a lot more impressive than SIU's road win over a woeful Indiana team. And the Birds have also thrown down top 25 EIU, beat WKU in Bowling Green (not sure if the Panthers could pull that off), and dispatched a pretty decent UCA Bears team. You're unjustifed talk is IMHO unjustifed.

Damn Cap'n, I'll give you this you're really high on your Panthers (which is cool). However, I think you're seriously discounting the upper level Gateway teams by calling them overhyped

WIU's Leathernecks have played Wisconsin, SIU and WKU all on the road
WKU's Hilltoppers have played Georgia, IL St., WIU and EKU all good teams
SIU's Salukis have had wins over WKU and Indiana...I'll give you Lockhaven and Ark-Pine Bluff
YSU's Penguins played Penn St., and UC-Davis a couple of very good teams

Wonder what YSU, SIU or other IL St posters think of your "overhyped" Gateway statement. Hey, I'm with you on the Panther wagon, but think the waters are going to getting pretty choppy when they take on the "real" GFC teams. :eyebrow:

Not particularly interested inwhat they think. Never know what will happen in the Gateway. The season started last weekend for UNI. Youngstown has yet to face the "real" GFC teams, either.

And this:
"...beat WKU in Bowling Green (not sure if the Panthers could pull that off)"

They did last year, 23-20. In 2001, too. Maybe one other time.........?

:)

shakdaddy3
October 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM

WKU... no no no, WIU :smiley_wi

and cap'n is turning into what Flytown used to be... or has cap'n always been like that? all i know is the Flytown straightened out and cap'n has always been rediculous... congrats cap'n, u are now like the old Flytown! :hurray:

FlyYtown
October 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Winners:

SIU beats Illinois State 31-28. [This is way to close to call; winner will be favorite to win the Gateway]

UNI routs Indiana State 41-10.

YSU beats Western Illinois with their great 4th quarter D [which has allowed just 17 points in the 4th quarter all year]
YSU: 28-21

WKU beats Missouri State 28-7. [I would love to know how this game will be close. MSU is rebuilding...WKU is playing very good; will not be close. Nothing against MSU; but they need 2-3 years to be a true contender in the GFC under Terry Allen; but he is the right man for the job.]

To Cap'n Cat:
You say: None of the top five GFC teams has truly done anything this season, in my estimation. The ones in the Top Ten are living on baseless hype.

YSU has beat #18 UC-Davis by 14. YSU also beat #23 Maine by 20.
Tell every YSU fan on here that we are living on baseless hype. Our schedule is one of the toughest in I-AA; and that is not just my opinion; its the Sports Networks as well..... Remember: I am not trying to be a jerk here: just defending YSU in that statement which I think is wrong.

YSU's schedule consists of:
Penn State
and
#5 Illinois State . #7 Southern Illinois . #14 Northern Iowa . #17 UC-Davis . #23 Maine Tell me that is not tough Cap'n Cat....: smh : : smh : : smh :

GO PENGUINS!
And to all the posters on here reading my comment: I am not trying to act like my old-self.... but a well thought out response to Mr. Cap'N Cat....

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 03:47 PM
WKU... no no no, WIU :smiley_wi

and cap'n is turning into what Flytown used to be... or has cap'n always been like that? all i know is the Flytown straightened out and cap'n has always been rediculous... congrats cap'n, u are now like the old Flytown! :hurray:

Um, shaq, am I being an azzhole about it, like Fly used to do? Just presenting my belief on the bigger GFC picture. Apologies accepted in post or via PM.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

birdsflyhigh
October 10th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Second the motion on that shakdaddy3! I know Cap'n Cat has got this weird thing going on with YSU, but now it seems like the rest of the Gateway is his play thing too.

Last year's UNI team that beat WKU in Bowling Green WAS a very good Panther team. What I'm talking about is THIS year's UNI team going down to WKU and pulling out the win. Whatever, Cap'n there's alot of Gateway battles to come this year, so it'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

I'm a believe in UNI, but don't understand your belittlement of the rest of the Gateway teams :confused:

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
To Cap'n Cat:
You say: None of the top five GFC teams has truly done anything this season, in my estimation. The ones in the Top Ten are living on baseless hype.

YSU has beat #18 UC-Davis by 14. YSU also beat #23 Maine by 20.
Tell every YSU fan on here that we are living on baseless hype. Our schedule is one of the toughest in I-AA; and that is not just my opinion; its the Sports Networks as well..... Remember: I am not trying to be a jerk here: just defending YSU in that statement which I think is wrong.

And to all the posters on here reading my comment: I am not trying to act like my old-self.... but a well thought out response to Mr. Cap'N Cat....

Um, it's tough right now. My consistent point here and at ysupenguin has been that we all need to wait it out. I have been very pleasant to fans of these teams. I look at things from 30,000 ft and look to the future in considering my posts about the season. Many of you don't. You deal in the past and in other superficialities. The preseason is over and the top four or five are all even again, that's all. My opinion only.

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Second the motion on that shakdaddy3! I know Cap'n Cat has got this weird thing going on with YSU, but now it seems like the rest of the Gateway is his play thing too.

Last year's UNI team that beat WKU in Bowling Green WAS a very good Panther team. What I'm talking about is THIS year's UNI team going down to WKU and pulling out the win. Whatever, Cap'n there's alot of Gateway battles to come this year, so it'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

I'm a believe in UNI, but don't understand your belittlement of the rest of the Gateway teams :confused:

It's not belittlement. Just my opinion, birds. There are few better GFC fans out there than Cap'n Cat. Take it to the bank.

FlyYtown
October 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Not looking ahead: But YSU fans are trying to market next week's YSU-UNI Game... So with that being said: GO PENGUINS!!!!

http://ysufootball.wordpress.com/files/2006/10/ysu_uniad.jpg

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Not looking ahead: But YSU fans are trying to market next week's YSU-UNI Game... So with that being said: GO PENGUINS!!!!

I would too, it's been a while..........

FlyYtown
October 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I would too, it's been a while..........

Last time we BEAT Northern Iowa:
YSU: 28
UNI: 24

Attendance: 21,119
That was the last sellout at Stambaugh and the largest crowd ever......

Just trying to re"pete" that in 2006......

GO PENGUINS
and ya: its been a long time for each; a sell out and win vs. UNI...

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM

GO PENGUINS

Good luck!

:p

birdsflyhigh
October 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Cap'n Cat, in NO way do I question that you're a true fan of the Gateway.
I KNOW you are...no doubt about that!

Just have reason to pause when you mention that Gateway team's fans are looking at the past. I don't consider what GFC teams have done so far THIS year to be "looking at the past". Also that 30,000 feet in the air comment is a little bizzaro, but hey it's going to fun for us fans to watch how the Gateway unfolds. :hurray: Still think WKU and WIU are going to have something to say about how things go. :twocents:

Cap'n Cat
October 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Still think WKU and WIU are going to have something to say about how things go. :twocents:

Yes, they will. Hopefully beginning this weekend!!

:nod: :nod:

ISUMatt
October 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
WKU was a bad kick away from possibly makign a BIG statement last week!!! They say what doesnt kill only makes you stronger, I hope Illinois State believes in that this weekend!

ISUMatt
October 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I think its safe to say that Indiana State, Missouri State and Western Illinois are not going to win the GFC...Oherwise its ANYONES conference...I posted on RBF that after the ND loss, UNI was going to go on a hell of a tear!!!

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM

GO PENGUINS

I'll help with the sell out, but will not wear red, and hopefully you don't win. :D

shakdaddy3
October 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Not particularly interested inwhat they think. Never know what will happen in the Gateway. The season started last weekend for UNI. Youngstown has yet to face the "real" GFC teams, either.

And this:

speaking of looking into the past :smiley_wi

and no, no apology cap'n.. maybe a bit of an exageration though

Neckfansince71
October 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
So if the Necks go 2-0 for the next two weeks, does that overturn the apple cart???

igo4uni
October 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
..I posted on RBF that after the ND loss, UNI was going to go on a hell of a tear!!!

Hope so........like last year's 7 in a row victory streak!!!

Killtoppers90
October 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
UNI
WKU
WIU
IL St

skinny_uncle
October 10th, 2006, 09:57 PM
UNI-Trees looking forward to the Misery State game
YSU-Could be a close game as WIU is getting desparate for a win
WKU-Misery continues at Misery State
SIU-revenge game

Chi Panther
October 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Just a reminder.....against UNI....MSU's starting QB tore his ACL and the next QB hurt his shoulder. There will be no experience at QB in Springfield.....and they may not win again this year.......:twocents:

shakdaddy3
October 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
From The Sports Network

by Matt Dougherty

GAME OF THE WEEK

No. 7 Southern Illinois (5-0, 2-0) at No. 5 Illinois State (4-1, 1-0), 3:30

Finally, after two weeks of conference play, we will see some separation between the top teams in the Gateway Conference. Illinois State, Youngstown State and Southern Illinois hold the No. 5-7 spots in this week’s top 25 rankings, while Northern Iowa rounds out the quartet of top Gateway teams with the No. 14 position in the poll. To this point, the teams have just taken shots at the rest of the Gateway Conference, and have emerged with an overall 6-0 record against Western Illinois, Western Kentucky, Missouri State and Indiana State. But the winner of this game will take a big first step toward winning the Gateway crown, or at least feel much more comfortable about their position as a I-AA playoff team. While Southern Illinois has enjoyed three consecutive playoff berths and Illinois State has not advanced to the postseason since 1999, the Salukis are the surprise team among the Gateway’s top 10 squads. Many experts (including yours truly) were looking for a down season from the Salukis after quarterback Joel Sambursky and most of the defense departed. But they pulled a shocker with a 35-28 win at Indiana, and have taken care of an otherwise favorable early schedule in dominating fashion, with the exception of last week’s 31-24 nailbiter against a good Western Illinois team. Quarterback Nick Hill has acquitted himself nicely as Sambursky’s replacement with seven touchdowns and no interceptions while completing 62 percent of his passes, and he broke on the scene with a four-touchdown effort against Indiana. The defense is dominating with 14.2 points per game allowed and has surrendered less than 100 yards per game. But while those developments are encouraging, the play of running back Arkee Whitlock has been the key again. Whitlock has posted a 100- yard effort in every game, and just notched a career-high 216 yards and three scores in the win against Western Illinois. He has 683 yards and nine scores for the season, and will provide a huge test for the Illinois State defense. The Redbirds have a quality group of linebackers led by Cameron Siskowic, but that unit will have to be better than it was last week when it gave up 148 yards on the ground to Lerron Moore. The Redbirds had to survive a 28-27 nailbiter against the Hilltoppers, and have not been quite as dominating as the Salukis in victories this season. Wide receiver Laurent Robinson has been limited by injuries. A lot of statistics point to a Saluki win, but this seems like a good time for a breakout performance for the Redbirds to cement their status as a worthy contender. The offense still has firepower without Robinson producing at his usual level, with Pierre Rembert carrying the load with 675 yards and six touchdowns on the ground and Luke Drone passing for 1,132 yards and 10 touchdowns. Even with last week’s performance, the rushing defense has only allowed 3.1 yards per carry and two touchdowns this season, and could be in position to bounce back against Whitlock and the Salukis. That could force the Salukis to go to the air more often, and Hill might be ready for a mistake or two after playing flawlessly through the first half of the season. Illinois State really needs a statement win to prove it is a legitimate contender, and there’s no better time to get it than at home against a top 10 team. Prediction: Illinois State 31, Southern Illinois 27

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I think the ILSt-SIU game is a toss up. Il St is at home, but that's never stopped an away team from winning big games in the Gateway.

birdsflyhigh
October 11th, 2006, 10:36 AM
PantherRob82, thanks for the MSU QB info. That does NOT bode well for the Bears the rest of the season, and the WKU-MSU spread could be large now. Hilltoppers by ????

Also good call on the ISU-SIU game....you're right that there have been plenty of BIG road wins in the Gateway throughout the years. IMO the Birds have yet to put it all together in one game, but they have still been very sucessful. Before traveling to WIU next week (traditionally a black hole for ISU), the Birds really NEED to defend their home turf and secure a victory over the Salukis. No doubt about it that an ISU victory over SIU is KEY if they want to win the Gateway.

Could this be the game that the Redbirds hit on all cylinders (offensively and defensively)? One thing's for sure...ISU's Hancock stadium with be absolutely rockin' with an overflow homecoming crowd! Hands down the BEST I-AA game on tap this week...very cool!! :D

Killtoppers90
October 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM
PantherRob82, thanks for the MSU QB info. That does NOT bode well for the Bears the rest of the season, and the WKU-MSU spread could be large now. Hilltoppers by ????

Also good call on the ISU-SIU game....you're right that there have been plenty of BIG road wins in the Gateway throughout the years. IMO the Birds have yet to put it all together in one game, but they have still been very sucessful. Before traveling to WIU next week (traditionally a black hole for ISU), the Birds really NEED to defend their home turf and secure a victory over the Salukis. No doubt about it that an ISU victory over SIU is KEY if they want to win the Gateway.

Could this be the game that the Redbirds hit on all cylinders (offensively and defensively)? One thing's for sure...ISU's Hancock stadium with be absolutely rockin' with an overflow homecoming crowd! Hands down the BEST I-AA game on tap this week...very cool!! :D

I will just say that WKU wins. We have been sketchy at best during the games so far, so predicting any kind of blowout or something is not for me. But I am pretty confident WKU can win this one.

Reed Rothchild
October 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Winners

UNI: blowout
YSU: close early, but YSU pulls away late
WKU: blowout
SIU: Ill St still has the "X" factor: Denver Johnson. He ruined a good team in 2000 and has never lived up to expectations. He does the least with the most talent. Nevermind the fact that he crushes UNI at home, it doesn't matter much when he loses to the other teams in the conference.

wkuhillhound
October 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM

And this:

You had to bring to bring up 2001 didn't you. Revenge was a "BITCH" the year after. Does national championship ring a bell. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FlyYtown
October 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I will not lie here: I truly think YSU is going to have fits vs. WIU. We have had trouble all year on defense, and WIU is an offense powerhouse.. The only good thing we got going against them is they can NOT stop the run.

If Mason gets 100 yards, we are likely to win; since we've won 11 in a row when we have a 100 yard rusher.

28-21 Penguins... although I hope its worse than what I am expecting, even the local media people are saying this game is no walk in the park....

Saluki_man
October 11th, 2006, 06:07 PM
WIU will be a handfull for those penquins, especially at home. I wouldn't be surprised if WIU came away with a victory of 10+ points. WIU 24 - YSU 21

UNI should take care of business, but Indy St can be a tough offence to cover. UNI 35 - INSt 17

WKU should get very healty on MSU, probably biggest blowout of the four. WKU 42 - MSU 10

The game of the week is the SIU - ILSt tilt. SIU wants revenge for last years butt kicking and ILSt needs to defend home field. ILSt needs the game more than SIU, but a loss won't hurt ILSt too badly. The big X-factor is Arkee Whitlock, he runs for 125+ SIU wins. If IL St can shut him down and make SIU one dimensional IL St. wins. SIU 27 - IL St 24 Craig Coffin kicks game winner at the gun from 45 yds.

JoeNeck90
October 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I will not lie here: I truly think YSU is going to have fits vs. WIU. We have had trouble all year on defense, and WIU is an offense powerhouse.. The only good thing we got going against them is they can NOT stop the run.

If Mason gets 100 yards, we are likely to win; since we've won 11 in a row when we have a 100 yard rusher.

28-21 Penguins... although I hope its worse than what I am expecting, even the local media people are saying this game is no walk in the park....

I'm trying to figure out the part about "trouble all year on defense." YSU has beat two ranked teams. It took Penn State until 6 minutes left in the first half to get a touchdown and Indiana State got their scores late.:eyebrow:

FlyYtown
October 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out the part about "trouble all year on defense." YSU has beat two ranked teams. It took Penn State until 6 minutes left in the first half to get a touchdown and Indiana State got their scores late.:eyebrow:

UC-Davis passed all over us, Maine did anything they pleased for 30 minutes vs. us.... Indiana State passed all over us.

Our defense has a ton of talent, but they are allowing way to many yards to be a title contender...

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM
an Illinois St win would really solidify them as a front runner, Denver Johnson and all.

Longnecker
October 11th, 2006, 07:37 PM
For several years I have had some serious issues with Capt. Cat; aka Capt. Crap; however he is right concerning the nature of the G'way and where we ALL are today. What is the title of this board? That is exactly facing all of us in G'way. Without getting into the could of, should of, or would of - real simple: At home, Homecoming, really pissed-off team: WIU 34 - YSU 27.

siugrad99
October 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM
WIU i'm sorry your season is over :)

nmatsen
October 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Yes, as was UNI's v Iowa State.

With the exception that ISU is ten times the team Kansas State is.

shakdaddy3
October 12th, 2006, 09:34 AM
With the exception that ISU is ten times the team Kansas State is.
can you please prove that? they seem pretty darn even to me... i guess we'll know on Oct. 28 thought if Iowa State is 10x better than KSU..

they both are having down years and neither team has an impressive victory... just wondering how you come to that conclusion... ISU is (3-3) while KSU is (4-2)

oh, i forgot... UNI only plays awesome teams and is completely proven where as the rest of the Gateway has played crap competition and is utterly unproven.. my mistake!

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2006, 09:42 AM
oh, i forgot... UNI only plays awesome teams and is completely proven where as the rest of the Gateway has played crap competition and is utterly unproven.. my mistake!

exactly. :thumbsup:

ysubigred
October 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM

JoeNeck90, you need to excuse the YSU jackasses who have never played a down of football especially on defense. YSU has always been a bend don't break "D". Giving up yards not points is the goal :) Good example of doing so was giving Steve McNair 575 yards passing and only giving up 17 points. Hell, Indy state scored 30 plus on Big 10 Purdue! To my understanding the second half was a chineese fire drill on both sides of the ball vs Indy ST.

This is going to be a great game and I have great respect for WIU and what they've accomplished for the GFC.

Good luck this week.

nmatsen
October 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Have they renamed the Gateway the University of Northern Iowa conference yet? That should be coming up real soon.

FlyYtown
October 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
LOL: Anyone wanna talk the games???

FYI: YSU Backup TB MO [Q] Gibson will be back to play this week after nursing a leg injury the past few weeks. He will be able to compliment Marcus Mason well.

I still want to say 28-21 YSU wins, but I would not be surprised if YSU can get 35 points on an WIU defense which could not stop Arkee Whitlock last week, who has just 11 more yards per game than Mason.

Going to be a dandy in Macomb!

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if YSU scored 35 or if WIU won. The Gateway can be pretty f***ed up at times.

shakdaddy3
October 12th, 2006, 06:54 PM
saturday can't get here soon enough!

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
saturday can't get here soon enough!

agreed. wish i was going to terre haute. guess i'll settle for next weeks trip to ysu.

FlyYtown
October 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM
agreed. wish i was going to terre haute. guess i'll settle for next weeks trip to ysu.

O you are coming here haha! Can not wait. I hope to see a lot of Purple in the SE part of the East Stands....

A lot of UNI Fans to witness a big LOSS. lol... Okay I am not looking ahead, just trying to have a little fun while we can, before next week!

Go Penguins

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM
O you are coming here haha! Can not wait. I hope to see a lot of Purple in the SE part of the East Stands....

A lot of UNI Fans to witness a big LOSS. lol... Okay I am not looking ahead, just trying to have a little fun while we can, before next week!

Go Penguins

I haven't heard many people talking about making the trip. You guys are our longest road game in conference, so I think our crowd will be sparse. You'll have to fill me in on good food in the area.

Toppermaniac
October 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Have they renamed the Gateway the University of Northern Iowa conference yet? That should be coming up real soon.

You might want to wait until you win a National Championship first. xidiotx

FlyYtown
October 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I haven't heard many people talking about making the trip. You guys are our longest road game in conference, so I think our crowd will be sparse. You'll have to fill me in on good food in the area.

Ya I will have to hook you up. I won't be on tomorrow I don't think, but will be back come Saturday.... I may send you some info on the area and what to eat.. You will find Ytown has a ton of the best restaurants you will ever eat at, the Italian food here is Molto Bene [VERY GOOD]

crunifan
October 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
You might want to wait until you win a National Championship first. xidiotx

The conference has nothing to do with national championships.

The fact that we have won over half of all the Gateway championships does though. Therefore, until we no longer claim half of them, I would say it is our conference. :nod:

Chi Panther
October 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM
My pathetic a$$ will be in South Korea the next 2 weekends......good luck to all GFC teams (especially UNI).....I will try to check in from the Korea that is south of the Hermitt Kingdom.....

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2006, 05:53 AM
The conference has nothing to do with national championships.

The fact that we have won over half of all the Gateway championships does though. Therefore, until we no longer claim half of them, I would say it is our conference. :nod:
Three different schools in the conference have won national titles(SIU, YSU and WKU). Are you saying this has no importance?
:nono:

crunifan
October 13th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Three different schools in the conference have won national titles(SIU, YSU and WKU). Are you saying this has no importance?

It has tons of imporantance.

It has no relevance in a discussion on who has dominated the conference.

crunifan
October 13th, 2006, 07:11 AM
My pathetic a$$ will be in South Korea the next 2 weekends......good luck to all GFC teams (especially UNI).....I will try to check in from the Korea that is south of the Hermitt Kingdom.....

Have fun. Don't get blown up when North Korea decides to fully test their new toys!

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Keep in mind most of those championship trophies are getting little wear and tear on them. WKU's is the only recent one, and it didn't help them much.

I think this conference is always up for grabs between 3-4, maybe even 5 teams. But National Championships have never played much of a part in it since UNI has won a share of a majority of the conference titles, and we have no NCs.

birdsflyhigh
October 14th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Just wanted to give this a bump up since all the games are up today.
Looks like the thread consensus so far is 2 blow-out games (UNI-IN St. and WKU-MSU) and 2 REAL close games (ISU-SIU and YSU-WIU).

Anyone other posters want to throw out their predictions/winners before the games begin? May all the teams play injury free this week! :)

Johnny5
October 14th, 2006, 03:02 AM

The MVR(Mahoning Valley Resturant) behind the M1 parking deck has really good Italian food for a good price...If you don't mind a drive just about anything on 224 is good. PM me for directions anywhere.

ysubigred
October 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM
My pathetic a$$ will be in South Korea the next 2 weekends......good luck to all GFC teams (especially UNI).....I will try to check in from the Korea that is south of the Hermitt Kingdom.....What part of Korea? I lived there for 17 months. It's not that bad if you know what I mean :smiley_wi

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM
The MVR(Mahoning Valley Resturant) behind the M1 parking deck has really good Italian food for a good price...If you don't mind a drive just about anything on 224 is good. PM me for directions anywhere.

We haven't set in stone where we are staying and stuff yet. I lived in Dayton for a while so I know a little bit of stuff around Ohio. Are there any White Castles in Ohio? :D

Toppermaniac
October 14th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Keep in mind most of those championship trophies are getting little wear and tear on them. WKU's is the only recent one, and it didn't help them much.

I think this conference is always up for grabs between 3-4, maybe even 5 teams. But National Championships have never played much of a part in it since UNI has won a share of a majority of the conference titles, and we have no NCs.

Just what in the hell do you mean it didn't help us much? That was a really stupid statement. Our National Championship was in the middle of 5 straight playoff appearances. How did it not help us? Stupid comment. You're just jealous because in spite of all those "conference titles", you have nothing to really show for it.

Toppermaniac
October 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I apologize for the tone of my previous post. That statement just pissed me off for a moment.

Hoss8091
October 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Well folks, here is how I see the Gateway this week.

(5)Illinois State, (6)Youngstown State, (7)Southern Illinois, and (14)Northern Iowa are power houses and one or more are likely to win or share the Gateway Football Conference Championship this year.

Western Illinois and Western Kentucky are spoilers and will likely beat one of the above power houses and possibly two of them. Neither is likely to be in the GFC race by the last week or two of conference play.

Indiana State and Missouri State are unlikely to knock off a power house, but could beat a WKU or a WIU given the right circumstances.

I have seen IlSU, WIU, and WKU all play this year. WIU is not as bad as I thought they would be and IlSU is not as good as I expected.

Therefore, here are my predictions.

(7) SIU over (5) IlSU. 31-28 I hope the Redbirds are as good as they are ranked, because that means that my Toppers are improving and are better than I give them credit. I think that the Redbirds have trouble stopping the running game. Since Southern Illinois have a good running back named Whitlock, I believe they have an edge. This should be the game of the week in the Gateway with no real favorite.

(14) UNI over ISU. Whole bunch- 17 The injured panthers lick their wounds (rest), while their back-ups carry the day.

WKU over MSU. 34-28 There is no easy games for the team that cannot stop third and long, so WKU continues to struggle on defense. My Toppers continues to improve each game. A blowout would provide a well deserved rest for the Topper’s first team.

YSU over WIU. 42-35 Is WIU’s offense good enough to score every series? Can WIU’s defense finally stop an offense? The Leathernecks could make this game the Gateway Upset of the Week. If their offense scores every series, their defense creates a turnover or Youngstown’s offense self-destructs, the Leathernecks could squeak out a win. I think Youngstown will take care of business, but the Leathernecks seem to be improving every week.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I apologize for the tone of my previous post. That statement just pissed me off for a moment.

Your attendance and suport for football are still low. Not much support in Chatty for that NC either. Before you get all pissy think about what you're saying. You guys are moving to I-A because not enough people care about WKU football. :rolleyes:

skinny_uncle
October 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Well folks, here is how I see the Gateway this week.

(5)Illinois State, (6)Youngstown State, (7)Southern Illinois, and (14)Northern Iowa are power houses and one or more are likely to win or share the Gateway Football Conference Championship this year.

Western Illinois and Western Kentucky are spoilers and will likely beat one of the above power houses and possibly two of them. Neither is likely to be in the GFC race by the last week or two of conference play.

Indiana State and Missouri State are unlikely to knock off a power house, but could beat a WKU or a WIU given the right circumstances.

I have seen IlSU, WIU, and WKU all play this year. WIU is not as bad as I thought they would be and IlSU is not as good as I expected.

Therefore, here are my predictions.

(7) SIU over (5) IlSU. 31-28 I hope the Redbirds are as good as they are ranked, because that means that my Toppers are improving and are better than I give them credit. I think that the Redbirds have trouble stopping the running game. Since Southern Illinois have a good running back named Whitlock, I believe they have an edge. This should be the game of the week in the Gateway with no real favorite.

(14) UNI over ISU. Whole bunch- 17 The injured panthers lick their wounds (rest), while their back-ups carry the day.

WKU over MSU. 34-28 There is no easy games for the team that cannot stop third and long, so WKU continues to struggle on defense. My Toppers continues to improve each game. A blowout would provide a well deserved rest for the Topper’s first team.

YSU over WIU. 42-35 Is WIU’s offense good enough to score every series? Can WIU’s defense finally stop an offense? The Leathernecks could make this game the Gateway Upset of the Week. If their offense scores every series, their defense creates a turnover or Youngstown’s offense self-destructs, the Leathernecks could squeak out a win. I think Youngstown will take care of business, but the Leathernecks seem to be improving every week.
Pretty good analysis even though I expect a bigger margin in the Hilltopper-Bear game.

crunifan
October 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I'll be the first to say it, I honestly think Indiana State could beat us today. I have a very bad feeling in my stomach at the moment.

Let's hope I am wrong.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
so far it's anyones game.

BillLuc1982
October 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
We haven't set in stone where we are staying and stuff yet. I lived in Dayton for a while so I know a little bit of stuff around Ohio. Are there any White Castles in Ohio? :D

No White Castles close to Youngstown or my new town of Arlington, VA. Closest White Castle is 70 miles away (West of Akron). From Arlington, I have to drive to NJ to go to one.

I've worked at the MVR before, and I know that class A food and service is expected. The owner, Carm, comes to each table. He's the "Jim Tressel" of restaurant management.

Daved
October 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
The Gateway conference is a great conference and I mean no disrespect but i could care less if YSU ever wins the Gateway,I wouldn't trade one national championship for a dozen Gateway titles.The only real upside for us is that if we win it outright we will get a playoff berth.

FlyYtown
October 14th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Daved... if we win out in this conference, its almost certain you get a HOME SEED. And if we can somehow do that, not looking ahead:

YSU is 12-1 at home in the playoffs, the only lost was in the first playoff game ever at Stambaugh way back in 1990; when UCF won on a last second field goal. So we've won 12 in a row, so for me: Winning the Gateway is a MUST!

shakdaddy3
October 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM
who watched the WKU vs. MSU game? can you give a report on it.. kind of interested in how it was so close... I mean, WKU's offense looked like it was coming together and MSU looked as if it was going to unravel before the game... any reports?

ISUMatt
October 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
very boring game IMO then for some unknown reason WKU is passing the ball up 10 lessthan 2 minutes left, anyway Haddix gets picked and Miz St returns it for TD...Miz St missed 2 early FGs also...Also Moore is hurt fo that took MAJOR firepower away from WKU

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 10:09 PM
The Gateway conference is a great conference and I mean no disrespect but i could care less if YSU ever wins the Gateway,I wouldn't trade one national championship for a dozen Gateway titles.The only real upside for us is that if we win it outright we will get a playoff berth.

Then I assume you are against going I-A, because if you ever do, winning your conference (and maybe getting a crappy bowl game) is the best you can hope for. :eyebrow:

Toppermaniac
October 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
who watched the WKU vs. MSU game? can you give a report on it.. kind of interested in how it was so close... I mean, WKU's offense looked like it was coming together and MSU looked as if it was going to unravel before the game... any reports?

WKU completely dominated the game statistically, but turnovers and penalties kept the game close. We piled up lots of yards, but kept shooting ourselves in the foot, just like all season. Leron Moore didn't play, but we still ran the ball pretty well. The biggest thing that came out of this game is that we sustained several more injuries to key players and some look like they could be pretty serious.

ysubigred
October 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Then I assume you are against going I-A, because if you ever do, winning your conference (and maybe getting a crappy bowl game) is the best you can hope for. :eyebrow:

Winning the GFC outright and the NC in the same year would be priceless :)

:twocents: on YSU and 1BS xcoffeex I would like to stay 1CS as long as the GFC exists. The 1BS level YSU would enter is a dying breed (MAC). I Would love to see the NCAA inforce the attandance rules and send most of the MAC to 1CS where they belong then we could have a GFC East/West. :thumbsup:

Playoff's are more exciting that the Dec/Jan toilet bowl :nod: xsmileyclapx

Nyghtewynd
October 15th, 2006, 09:58 AM

The only reason this game was close was because WKU is not a good team. MSU remains one of the worst teams I've ever seen strap on the helmet, but they win this game with a little bit more talent at the QB spot (as in someone merely below-average). WKU seemed allergic for winning for much of it. MSU fans are back to their normal routine, as well...under 10K for this game. They'll get a good crowd for Homecoming, but their last home game will be friends and family of players only. Basketball season will have started by then.

birdsflyhigh
October 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Looks like I wasn't as close as last week at predicting the Gateway scores, but I did call all the winners (IL St, YSU, UNI and WKU) correctly.

So far, I'm still batting 100 percent on predicting the Gateway winners.
Should have some tough ones to call in the next few weeks though. Hmmm? ;)

shakdaddy3
October 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM
The only reason this game was close was because WKU is not a good team. MSU remains one of the worst teams I've ever seen strap on the helmet, but they win this game with a little bit more talent at the QB spot (as in someone merely below-average). WKU seemed allergic for winning for much of it. MSU fans are back to their normal routine, as well...under 10K for this game. They'll get a good crowd for Homecoming, but their last home game will be friends and family of players only. Basketball season will have started by then.
i dunno about WKU not being a good team... they've played some very tough competition very closely and beat a good WIU team... i think this sounds more like a disgruntled MSU fan t han anything :nod:

Nyghtewynd
October 15th, 2006, 07:46 PM
What exactly would I be disgruntled about? MSU sucking? Yeah, but I called that before the season started. Sorry, but this game was brutal to watch and WKU didn't do jack against MSU. They're not a playoff contender if they play like that, as most of the people who actually *bothered* to watch the game have noted.

shakdaddy3
October 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
What exactly would I be disgruntled about? MSU sucking? Yeah, but I called that before the season started. Sorry, but this game was brutal to watch and WKU didn't do jack against MSU. They're not a playoff contender if they play like that, as most of the people who actually *bothered* to watch the game have noted.
who said they were a playoff contender? :confused:

siugrad99
October 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
we'll see how good WKU is this weekend against an angry Saluki team. Salukis will be looking to get back on track after the @ss whoopin by the Birds.

shakdaddy3
October 15th, 2006, 11:37 PM
we'll see how good WKU is this weekend against an angry Saluki team. Salukis will be looking to get back on track after the @ss whoopin by the Birds.
i hope SIU bounces back... i think they will.. Kill is a great coach and won't let the ISU game linger IMO

Toppermaniac
October 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM
If we keep turning the ball over and committing stuipd penalties at the worst possible times, we will go down. Otherwise, I think it will be a close game, but I don't see us beating SIU on the road this year. We can move the ball against anyone, but the aforementioned penalties and turnovers continually kill us. Also, our D isn't what it use to be.