PDA

View Full Version : This Probably Doesn't Matter

apaladin2
November 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM
IF Furman wins Saturday but doesn't get the auto bid would they even be considered as an at-large bid? Here is an argument that they should at least be given a look.

FU would be co-champions. Even though they lost to the other co-champion they would have beaten the next 5 teams in the standings.

FU would finish the season 5-1 with the only loss to LSU.

FU would be 7-2 with their starting QB with the 2 losses, a 7 point loss at CCU and LSU

FU would be 6-0 in the SoCon with their starting QB.

The other 3 losses were with 2 different true freshmen QB's due to injuries.

Their overall record would be 7-5 or 7-4 if you don't count the LSU loss.

I really don't think the committee spends much time if any looking at teams and doubt very seriously that they would know the above or care. Looks like most years they take the SN poll and after the autos just take the next available teams. Regardless I think FU has a decent argument. Am I wrong here? How close do you think they look at teams especially ones outside the top 25.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 11:10 PM
IF Furman wins Saturday but doesn't get the auto bid would they even be considered as an at-large bid? Here is an argument that they should at least be given a look.

FU would be co-champions. Even though they lost to the other co-champion they would have beaten the next 5 teams in the standings.

FU would finish the season 5-1 with the only loss to LSU.

FU would be 7-2 with their starting QB with the 2 losses, a 7 point loss at CCU and LSU

FU would be 6-0 in the SoCon with their starting QB.

The other 3 losses were with 2 different true freshmen QB's due to injuries.

Their overall record would be 7-5 or 7-4 if you don't count the LSU loss.

I really don't think the committee spends much time if any looking at teams and doubt very seriously that they would know the above or care. Looks like most years they take the SN poll and after the autos just take the next available teams. Regardless I think FU has a decent argument. Am I wrong here? How close do you think they look at teams especially ones outside the top 25.

If you look at the performance of the SN or other polls when it comes to predicting the selections I think you'd see that is probably not what they are doing. I don't know that they would be as granulated as you are here with how's and why's for they should be included when those are probably not as strong as other suitors they may be courting but who knows. This is not a good year for the SoCon as far as strength goes so that also works against FU as an at large this time. If you end up co-champs you got a chip and a chair though.

centennial
November 22nd, 2013, 12:02 AM
The problem is southern is a weak conference this year.
Furman Massey - 45
GPI-48
Sagarin- 168 (behind lehigh, south dakota, portland state)
Those numbers aren't inspiring confidence. Southern will have to start winning against the big south, southland and some FBS for a team like your to be given consideration.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2013, 01:20 AM
They could make a case, but I doubt any five loss team has a realistic shot for an at-large bid.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2013, 02:42 AM
They could make a case, but I doubt any five loss team has a realistic shot for an at-large bid.

Especially not one with a home loss to Elon.

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2013, 06:14 AM
I think Furman is palying their best football now, but I doubt the committee will be breaking it down like that. If so, than many teams can manufacture a case.

OL FU
November 22nd, 2013, 07:00 AM
I obviously don't know what they take into consideration, but I do think strong finishes would be one thing I would consider. With that said, even with a victory saturday, without the AQ I don't see us being considered. So we have to win first and hope Samford takes care of business.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
Especially not one with a home loss to Elon.

The Elon loss is the one that truly stings looking back.

Furman was forced to start a fourth stringer at QB, a guy that was wearing the headset week 1. The only other quarterback in uniform ran occasional wildcat formations and endured a season ending injury in the game. Furman finished the game with one quarterback in uniform and our backup running back warming up on the sidelines.

To his credit, Fletcher did his best (and probably exceeded expectations). Elon, to their credit, knew Furman was down to a skeleton crew and threw every unique look they could at him. The decisive plays in the game were both interceptions (one a poorly thrown pick six, and the other a bullet right into the stomach of the defensive end). Even after all of that, Furman still lost by three, had perhaps the most dominant half of football I've seen from them in years, and darn near won it.

I don't have any notions that a bid would be extended if we were 7-5 and sans autobid. I think that is just the way of it. I think they are among the hottest teams in the country, and would be a handful for anyone in the playoffs. Let's just hope they get their shot.

DoWe
November 22nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
I hope Furman gets their shot because PaladinFan will no doubt be reminding us for years to come how strong that 2013 squad was when healthy. Having said that, I would be surprised if a healthy Paladins squad failed to reach the round of 8. I think the SoCon will gain back some of what it lost this season with strong playoff appearances on the part of the team(s) that make the field.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
I don't think Furman would have much of a shot at 7-5 without the autobid but Samford won't lose to Elon on Saturday so they really control their own playoff destiny anyway.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
I hope Furman gets their shot because PaladinFan will no doubt be reminding us for years to come how strong that 2013 squad was when healthy. Having said that, I would be surprised if a healthy Paladins squad failed to reach the round of 8. I think the SoCon will gain back some of what it lost this season with strong playoff appearances on the part of the team(s) that make the field.

Is there a particular team you pull for?

The 2013 version of Furman is not as good as they will be in the coming years. Ten seniors will get recognized on Saturday. Probably half of those are regular contributors. They'll be good for a while.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
I don't think Furman would have much of a shot at 7-5 without the autobid but Samford won't lose to Elon on Saturday so they really control their own playoff destiny anyway.

If Elon beats Samford, it will be one of the upsets of the season in my opinion.

I'd rather be playing Elon tomorrow than Wofford, quite frankly.

Sandlapper Spike
November 22nd, 2013, 11:11 AM
If Elon beats Samford, it will be one of the upsets of the season in my opinion.

I'd rather be playing Elon tomorrow than Wofford, quite frankly.

Oh, no doubt about that. I think Elon has packed it in for the season.