PDA

View Full Version : Is Fordham a lock?

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM
I know that we have all assumed Fordham would be a certainty to get in but last week's loss to Lafayette has me thinking. If the Rams somehow lost to Colgate this week and a bunch of the other bubble teams won, could the boys from the Bronx be in trouble? It was a phenomenal start to the season, but they have been floundering of late, needing a comeback against Holy Cross and a blocked field goal to survive against Bucknell before the ugly loss to Lafayette. Given the poor quality of play over the last month, could another ugly loss in upstate New York give the committee a reason to leave Fordham out?

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
They are not a lock with loss this week. That would be 2 bad losses, I would take a 8-4 team from the CAA over them.

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Has a team ever gone 10-0, including an FBS win (albeit over a bad Temple team) and not made the playoffs?

It could and probably would put Fordham on the road, though.

Lehigh'98
November 21st, 2013, 11:57 AM
There once strong OOC record doesn't seem as strong now. If Lehigh loses to Laf, then Fordham wouldn't even have won the theoretical autobid. Then the only difference btw them and a 10-1 Lehigh from last year is an expanded playoffs an the fact that they beat a crappy FBS team (so did Stony Brook last year and they got in). If I were Fordham, I'd concentrate on beating Colgate.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM
No.

They are probably in but are no where near a lock and definitly a first round team if they are in.

Go Green
November 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM
Has a team ever gone 10-0, including an FBS win (albeit over a bad Temple team) and not made the playoffs?

1986 Penn.

:)

FargoBison
November 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM
They would be on the bubble with a loss. Probably would end up in the field but I could see how things could swing against them.

hebmskebm
November 21st, 2013, 12:28 PM
With a win they are one of the final seeded teams. With a loss they still make the field but go on the road in the first round.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM
Win, and they're in. Lose, and it involves how they stack up with the other teams. I've got to believe 10 D-I wins and a win against an FBS would be enough. A Lehigh win this weekend might help, too.

I'd say a high probability of being in with a loss anyway, but it might be a fitful night's sleep.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 12:31 PM
It is also possible the committee will extremely overvalue the FBS win, like NDSU getting in at 7-4 when we beat KU.

AmsterBison
November 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Leave no doubt. Beat Colgate.

And I hope to see them in Fargo.

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM
One of the interesting considerations is that the committee has to love the idea of Fordham hosting Sacred Heart. It's a no-brainer of a regional bus ride, but it can't happen if Fordham gets a seed or if they send them on the road. Maybe if Fordham gets a seed, Lehigh could host SHU.

Sader87
November 21st, 2013, 01:55 PM
I think they win Saturday but even if they lost, I think they're in the tournament.

I wouldn't discount the fact that they are the "de facto FCS New York City" team this year and a Fordham rejection by the committee wouldn't play too well in the national media for the FCS as a whole.

Catbooster
November 21st, 2013, 03:47 PM
I think they win Saturday but even if they lost, I think they're in the tournament.

I wouldn't discount the fact that they are the "de facto FCS New York City" team this year and a Fordham rejection by the committee wouldn't play too well in the national media for the FCS as a whole.

I'm not sure what you mean by not playing too well in the national media. ESPN would be upset with the NCAA if Fordham is left out?

I'm not sure there is any national media that cares about the FCS except perhaps sports channels like ESPN, ROOT, etc. (and it's debatable how much ESPN, who has the broadcast rights, cares).

Sader87
November 21st, 2013, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by not playing too well in the national media. ESPN would be upset with the NCAA if Fordham is left out?

I'm not sure there is any national media that cares about the FCS except perhaps sports channels like ESPN, ROOT, etc. (and it's debatable how much ESPN, who has the broadcast rights, cares).

I don't disagree, FCS football is akin to Australian Rules Football to many, but FU getting snubbed would lead to bad PR for the NCAA from the NYC press and why do that when they really don't have to....i.e. it's easier to take Fordham and not some school from a much smaller region than vice versa.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM
C'mon, Bobby Valentine showing up in the Bronx? This is something that ESPN will pick up. Add to this it's fiendishly easy to ESPN3 a broadcast from the NYC area (see: Wagner, 2012), and it seems like a pretty good bet.

FordhamFan
November 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM
If Fordham loses, they're lucky to get in. And I don't really think there's any chance at a seed? I mean yes, an 11-1 Fordham team is one of the top first round teams, but in all honesty I just can't see any way Fordham gets a seed.

ElCid
November 21st, 2013, 08:09 PM
Win or lose, they are in. Win big/convincingly and I think they may still have a shot at a seed. Smaller than before last week, but still possible. Barely win and they host first round. Who knows what will be in the committee's minds though. And everyone keeps downplaying the Temple victory, but like it or not, Temple is not UMass or Georgia State. They are a historic FBS team who has been in most of their games. Same record as Iowa State, so hopefully nobody is claiming that as a good FBS win (did anyone hear the sarcasm).

Sandlapper Spike
November 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM
I think they're in even with a loss. I wonder if the committee would take into account the QB injury when determining seeding, etc.

ngineer
November 21st, 2013, 11:52 PM
One of the interesting considerations is that the committee has to love the idea of Fordham hosting Sacred Heart. It's a no-brainer of a regional bus ride, but it can't happen if Fordham gets a seed or if they send them on the road. Maybe if Fordham gets a seed, Lehigh could host SHU.

That's my scenario...assuming a Fordham win. A loss and then they're on the bubble dependent on what other teams do Saturday.

ngineer
November 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM
I think they're in even with a loss. I wonder if the committee would take into account the QB injury when determining seeding, etc.

Only if they are 'assured' Nebrich would play. Without him, this a far different team.

JoltinJoe
November 22nd, 2013, 05:19 AM
Only if they are 'assured' Nebrich would play. Without him, this a far different team.

Agreed. With Nebrich, Fordham was the best team in the East all season. To leave Fordham out, even though Nebrich would be back, would leave out a team that is capable of making a deep run in the playoffs.

kdinva
November 22nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
With a win they are one of the final seeded teams. With a loss they still make the field but go on the road in the first round.

I can see them as an 8-seed @ 11-1......based on their current #12 ranking in the SN poll. But the committee may take a 10-2 CCU team over 11-1 Fordham as a final seeded team.....and I don't see a 9-3 Sam houston squad being a top-8 seed.......

Twentysix
November 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
I can see them as an 8-seed @ 11-1......based on their current #12 ranking in the SN poll. But the committee may take a 10-2 CCU team over 11-1 Fordham as a final seeded team.....and I don't see a 9-3 Sam houston squad being a top-8 seed.......

HBU is a non game, they played an exhibition season, the 74-0 victory does not count. SHSU is 7-3 and should they beat UCA will finish 8-3.

The entire team at HBU had this season counted as a redshirt year. They will all have 4 years of eligibility remaining starting next season.

Wallace
November 22nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
9. Patriot League (54.96)
18. Fordham (19.71)
37. Lehigh (33.14)
60. Lafayette (50.14)
65. Bucknell (55.29)
78. Holy Cross (64.00)
92. Colgate (72.71)
115. Georgetown (89.71)

Even in a lackluster league...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
9. Patriot League (54.96)
18. Fordham (19.71)
37. Lehigh (33.14)
60. Lafayette (50.14)
65. Bucknell (55.29)
78. Holy Cross (64.00)
92. Colgate (72.71)
115. Georgetown (89.71)

I'm still trying to figure out how Lehigh is so low in the computer rankings. I believe they're actually lower than last season despite playing a more difficult schedule this year. What are the rankings for teams that did not play a FBS team?

Fordham could be in a dicey situation with a loss. However, with a win I think they grab a seed. Temple should beat UConn, likewise with Temple and UConn. Lehigh is at worst a slight favorite against Lafayette. Those games could/should strengthen FU's resume.

Wallace
November 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how Lehigh is so low in the computer rankings...

Best wins were over Princeton (good win but by one point) and one over a 6-4 team by 7. Losing to Fordham by 18 and to a 5-5 squad by 38 does hurt. The rest of the schedule also damages the rating. Good thing you can win the AQ!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Best wins were over Princeton (good win but by one point) and one over a 6-4 team by 7. Losing to Fordham by 18 and to a 5-5 squad by 38 does hurt.

That's true but when you look at the landscape of FCS there's a lot of that. Pretty much everyone outside of the Top 5 or 6 has a bad loss. Lehigh remains one of a handful of teams that own 2 wins over ranked teams.

I'm still believe FBS game skew these rankings.

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
I still thinki a sedd for Fordham is unlikely because the matchup with Sacred Heart is such a no-brainer for the first round. Send the winner to Maine. Then maybe Lehigh and Youngstown with the winner heading to Towson.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
I still thinki a sedd for Fordham is unlikely because the matchup with Sacred Heart is such a no-brainer for the first round. Send the winner to Maine. Then maybe Lehigh and Youngstown with the winner heading to Towson.

Sacred Heart at Lehigh wouldn't be a bad deal either!

If Fordham doesn't get a seed they might struggle winning a bidding war given the size of their stadium. I find it hard to believe an 11-1 team wouldn't be worthy of a seed given the resume's of some of these teams. I also believe NAU gets a seed too so who knows....

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
The question is really who you slot Fordham ahead of. Let's assume NDSU, EIU, EWU, Maine and SE La are going to get seeds. That leaves three more. I think Towson gets one at 10-2 as well as McNeese St. The last one I expect will go to either NAU or Montana. I think there needs to be some upsets for Fordham to slide in there, but I could be wrong.

jimbo65
November 22nd, 2013, 03:10 PM
According to a posting in the unofficial Fordham board, Niebrich is getting the majority of snaps in practice this week. If he starts, HELLO BYE.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
Sacred Heart at Lehigh wouldn't be a bad deal either!

If Fordham doesn't get a seed they might struggle winning a bidding war given the size of their stadium. I find it hard to believe an 11-1 team wouldn't be worthy of a seed given the resume's of some of these teams. I also believe NAU gets a seed too so who knows....

The issue of bidding for a home game is Fordham's problem. What kind of gate can they guarantee the NCAA?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2013, 03:41 PM
Here's what I want:

Sacred Heart at Lehigh winner at No. 7 Fordham

ace93
November 22nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
According to a posting in the unofficial Fordham board, Niebrich is getting the majority of snaps in practice this week. If he starts, HELLO BYE.

What do you mean unofficial? Is there an official one? ;)

Twentysix
November 22nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Here's what I want:

Sacred Heart at Lehigh winner at No. 7 Fordham

So Lehigh can win 2 games before getting punched in the boobs?

Fordham
November 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM

Lafayette + Sacred Heart = 2 games

I'll take it!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2013, 10:41 PM

Don't be ridiculous. I'd also happily take a trip to Delaware.

JoltinJoe
November 23rd, 2013, 12:33 PM
The East's best team is back. :)