PDA

View Full Version : possible Gate $$ has no bearing on selection

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
Why do people on forums say that "my team" Gets selected because the NCAA wants us, because we have xx,xxx average attendance. They may want it, but that is not part of the selection committees criteria.

It is used for site selection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Grizalltheway
November 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Keep telling yourself that.

bluehenbillk
November 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM
You're correct - $$ only matters for the 1st round as to who bids higher gets homefield. As long as a seeded team meets the $ minimum per round (which hasn't always been 100% of the time) the better seed always hosts.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
You're correct - $$ only matters for the 1st round as to who bids higher gets homefield. As long as a seeded team meets the $ minimum per round (which hasn't always been 100% of the time) the better seed always hosts.

This.

Look at the EKU/JMU game 2 years ago. The stands weren't 1/4 full and it was on TV.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
This.

Look at the EKU/JMU game 2 years ago. The stands weren't 1/4 full and it was on TV.

That didn't matter though right? Didn't the OVC get money together so EKU could host. I thought I remembered hearing they placed a really competetive bid for the opening round.

No_Skill
November 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
As long as humans are doing the selecting, it will play some part, even if only on a subconscious level.

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2013, 01:22 PM
So what you are saying G...alltheway is your team has made the playoffs before because they have a higher gate, not on their abilities?

If it was all about the gate, why would the NCAA every put a team with the higher attendance ratings, such as a NDSU, Montana, a FCS AppState in as a seed receiving a bye? Wouldn't they want them in all in the first round?

By the way last year there were 30 bids received for the first round, do you think the 10 that weren't selected were the 10 lowest bids, or just teams that weren't selected on merit?

Mr. C
November 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM
As it has been pointed out MANY times (and read the NCAA playoff handbook if you have any questions about it), the bids are not even opened until AFTER the pairings are made. Minimum bids secure a home game for higher seeded teams.

MSUBobcat
November 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
As it has been pointed out MANY times (and read the NCAA playoff handbook if you have any questions about it), the bids are not even opened until AFTER the pairings are made. Minimum bids secure a home game for higher seeded teams.

That may be the case, but some teams' bids don't need to be opened to know they will be substantial relative to other teams. I'm not saying $$ is, but if it is a factor (even subconsciously) you wouldn't necessarily have to see the bids of bubble teams to guess which will bid higher.

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
Form a committee member about selection

JB: It's a good question. It's diligence, really. I think most people have the illusion that this is a weekend decision. It's not a weekend decision. It starts in early fall and it goes through every game of the season. And certainly this weekend takes (importance).

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/fiveaside/archive/haley_11_21_2013.htm

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Keep telling yourself that.

I honestly would have guessed you would be more informed than this Grizzall. You sound like some of the dullards that don't have the advantage of reading these sites and having the extra information to form a more logical opinion. You ain't no dullard.

There are many examples of teams not nearly as well supported having the seeds and anything outside of the seeds is based on money to be sure and as bluehen pointed out does matter in the first round...not so much after that.

If you got seeds based on money then how has EWU, Richmond, or Villanova ever been seeded? That's not even bringing up the EKU/JMU thing.

Why did GSU have to hit the road when their AD forgot to put in the second round bid? GSU would have been one of the teams that NCAA would "know is gonna place a high bid" and should have had the game at home if they were working under some of the beliefs some say they do.

Grizalltheway
November 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
I honestly would have guessed you would be more informed than this Grizzall. You sound like some of the dullards that don't have the advantage of reading these sites and having the extra information to form a more logical opinion. You ain't no dullard.

There are many examples of teams not nearly as well supported having the seeds and anything outside of the seeds is based on money to be sure and as bluehen pointed out does matter in the first round...not so much after that.

If you got seeds based on money then how has EWU, Richmond, or Villanova ever been seeded? That's not even bringing up the EKU/JMU thing.

Why did GSU have to hit the road when their AD forgot to put in the second round bid? GSU would have been one of the teams that NCAA would "know is gonna place a high bid" and should have had the game at home if they were working under some of the beliefs some say they do.

Who said anything about seeds? Did I say anything about seeds? I didn't say anything about seeds.
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120420134407/seinfeld/images/c/cf/Chiles7.jpg

I just think that if two teams are on the bubble, at say 8-4, and the committe only has room left for two of them, which team would bring in a higher gate would probably have some sort of influence on their decision, even if they won't acknowledge it publicly.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM
Who said anything about seeds? Did I say anything about seeds? I didn't say anything about seeds.
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120420134407/seinfeld/images/c/cf/Chiles7.jpg

I just think that if two teams are on the bubble, at say 8-4, and the committe only has room left for two of them, which team would bring in a higher gate would probably have some sort of influence on their decision, even if they won't acknowledge it publicly.

Well why give the seeds to teams that don't have pocket book if it matters?

Your face is my case!

McNeese72
November 21st, 2013, 04:26 PM
At one time the NCAA got the bid price or a percentage of the gate (75%, I think), whatever was higher. Does that still hold true?

That is one reason the home teams don't fudge on attendance numbers (and some say under report attendance) for their playoff games. You don't want to inflate the attendance number and then have the NCAA say where's the money for that attendance number.

Doc

taper
November 21st, 2013, 09:26 PM
Why do high gate teams like Montana, App, Georgia Southern, NDSU make the playoffs? Because they're usually good. There's a pretty high correlation between success and fan support. Even to the point we complain about bandwagon fans.

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2013, 09:50 PM
At one time the NCAA got the bid price or a percentage of the gate (75%, I think), whatever was higher. Does that still hold true?

That is one reason the home teams don't fudge on attendance numbers (and some say under report attendance) for their playoff games. You don't want to inflate the attendance number and then have the NCAA say where's the money for that attendance number.

Doc

Dont know the percentage but yes thats how it works.