PDA

View Full Version : If Ivies were eligible, how many bids?

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM
I really wish the Ivy league were eligible for the playoffs this year. Not just because 12 auto-bids and 12 at-large bids would offer great balance, but also becuase I'd like to see how this Princeton team would stack up against the rest of FCS. The question is, would the Ivies be a two bid league this year with Harvard getting an at-large as well? A rematch between Princeton and Lehigh would be an entertaining first round game.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM
I really wish the Ivy league were eligible for the playoffs this year. Not just because 12 auto-bids and 12 at-large bids would offer great balance, but also becuase I'd like to see how this Princeton team would stack up against the rest of FCS. The question is, would the Ivies be a two bid league this year with Harvard getting an at-large as well? A rematch between Princeton and Lehigh would be an entertaining first round game.

Ivies have political respect, they would probably be a 2 bid league.

The Ivy league is eligible this year, as they are every year... and the Ivy league conference champion will be granted an automatic bid to the playoffs, which they will decline, like they do every year. This will open up an addtional at-large bid.

They aren't ineligible, they choose to sit in the corner.

RichH2
November 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM
This year Princeton and Harvard.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2013, 10:53 AM
This year Princeton and Harvard.

I agree, although the question should be rephrased: If a frog had wings, would it land on its butt when it hopped?:D

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM
Just to continue the hypothetical, would they bid aggressively for home games and what kind of crowds do we think they would get?

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Really wish they participated. The coaches need to come together and lobby. With the ives we could get a lot more coverage and lot more money into playoffs.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 12:24 PM
Just to continue the hypothetical, would they bid aggressively for home games and what kind of crowds do we think they would get?

Isn't it getting to cold for sweater vests? I would think they would get a crowd similar to your average OOC game. Don't most Ivy alums have better things to do than watch playoff football? Like manage hedgefunds from the cayman islands?

Go Green
November 21st, 2013, 12:29 PM
The coaches need to come together and lobby.

They have. Every Ivy coach and AD that has expressed an opinion on this issue has been in favor of playoffs.

Probably about half the student newspapers have endorsed playoffs at some point or another.

It's the presidents that are the holdouts. One one Ivy president has ever indicated support of playoffs--Dartmouth's President Kim. And he's at the World Bank now. His successor seems to like football, but I don't think he's said anything either way about playoffs.

The other seven presidents have either opposed playoffs explicitly, or if they haven't, have given no indication that they support plaoyffs.

:(

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 01:13 PM
They have. Every Ivy coach and AD that has expressed an opinion on this issue has been in favor of playoffs.

Probably about half the student newspapers have endorsed playoffs at some point or another.

It's the presidents that are the holdouts. One one Ivy president has ever indicated support of playoffs--Dartmouth's President Kim. And he's at the World Bank now. His successor seems to like football, but I don't think he's said anything either way about playoffs.

The other seven presidents have either opposed playoffs explicitly, or if they haven't, have given no indication that they support plaoyffs.

Some of the fans need to take initiative and make a website where people can petition. Promote that with the student body and within the ivies and make it a big issue. Even a website with a few thousand signatures from Alumni and students is bound to make the papers and throw egg on the face of the presidents.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM

Tim Murphy of Harvard would be the lone exception. He seems to think that the playoffs would sully that great Harvard-Yale rivalry game. Hey, in H-Y land, that game is even bigger than who wins the Ivy League championship.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Some of the fans need to take initiative and make a website where people can petition. Promote that with the student body and within the ivies and make it a big issue. Even a website with a few thousand signatures from Alumni and students is bound to make the papers and throw egg on the face of the presidents.
How about an "Occupy" The Ivy League Movement? I could see some people eating that concept up.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2013, 02:21 PM
BTW, Princeton's high-octane offense would give some teams fits this season.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 02:36 PM
How about an "Occupy" The Ivy League Movement? I could see some people eating that concept up.
I would be down to helping build a website..would love to see the ivies in the playoffs..

Yotes
November 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM
Is there a reason why this is the lone postseason sport that they boycott? I don't think it would get in the way of academics anymore than basketball does. Hell, I think that basketball's regular season is more distracting from athletics with their few midweek road trips.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
Is there a reason why this is the lone postseason sport that they boycott? I don't think it would get in the way of academics anymore than basketball does. Hell, I think that basketball's regular season is more distracting from athletics with their few midweek road trips.

It's simply arrogance from their elitist presidents.

LehighU11
November 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM

The Ivy League doesn't really schedule weeknight games for basketball. There are several early in the season, mostly for the season opening tournaments. All games are on the weekends (Fridays and Saturdays) once league play comes around.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM

Tradition mainly. They abstained from bowl games, primarily following Yale and Princeton's lead (rebel Harvard won the 1919 Rose Bowl). Also, it is not the highest level of competition in which to win a championship. It is not an 'elitist' thing at all. Princeton, Harvard, Yale gladly share a hockey conference with the likes of Quinnipiac and Clarkson, and play teams like Bemidiji State and Michigan Tech in the postseason because it's the highest level of amateur competition. FCS playoffs are not.

Go Green
November 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM
Is there a reason why this is the lone postseason sport that they boycott?

The reasons have changed over time.

Originally, the post-season ban was justified because the Ivy didn't want to support segregation by playing bowl games in the South.

Then it became that the Ivy thought too much emphasis was being placed on football.

Then it became missed class time.

Then it became "tradition." Unlike the others, it's hard to say the last one with a straight face.

I think it will change eventually. If it does, it will be because Harvard wants to give it a shot. Usually, what Harvard wants, Harvard gets.

Sitting Bull
November 21st, 2013, 05:14 PM
I think they are just afraid of being embarrassed.

citdog
November 21st, 2013, 05:19 PM
The reasons have changed over time.

Originally, the post-season ban was justified because the Ivy didn't want to support segregation by playing bowl games in the South.

Then it became that the Ivy thought too much emphasis was being placed on football.

Then it became missed class time.

Then it became "tradition." Unlike the others, it's hard to say the last one with a straight face.

I think it will change eventually. If it does, it will be because Harvard wants to give it a shot. Usually, what Harvard wants, Harvard gets.

1. BS. There is a monument to Harvard men who died fighting for the kaiser and for the Nazis on their campus. But not to the 71 Harvard Men who died fighting for Southern Rights from 1861-1865.

Y'all just don't want to get exposed as being rather poor at playing football and don't want to associate with those directional State universities who you turn your smug noses up at.

Go Green
November 21st, 2013, 05:38 PM
1. BS.

I confess that I was not actually in the room when the decisions were made.

But that's our story, and we're sticking with it. :)

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 06:31 PM
Does anyone know off hand how many players from the Ivy get drafted or go to combines? Just curious if the teams are average to good every year one would think the players would like to play on and get more play time for scouts to see, just a passing curiosity I have.

Go Green
November 21st, 2013, 06:57 PM
Drafted-- one or two a year on average. Occasionally none. Occasionally three.

Combines- anywhere between five and ten.

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 07:16 PM
Drafted-- one or two a year on average. Occasionally none. Occasionally three.

Combines- anywhere between five and ten.

That's kinda what I thought. One would think there could be more if they played thru the playoffs. Or at least get a second look, perhaps not tho. I know if I were a player I would want asuch exposure as I could get if I wanted to play at the next level.

Brad82
November 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM
I think Harvard could win a game or two.
When was the last time a IVY won the Lambert/ECAC team of year?

Go Green
November 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM
When was the last time a IVY won the Lambert/ECAC team of year?

I think there have been times in the IAA/FCS where we were the best team in the East. But lack of playoff participation hurts us with the voters. A 10-0 Ivy team usually ends up 4th in the Lambert polling these days.... :(

IBleedYellow
November 21st, 2013, 07:49 PM
The Ivies are what Lehigh strives to be.

Lehigh'98
November 21st, 2013, 07:54 PM
The Ivies are what Lehigh strives to be.

We strive for the playoffs each year, so we are already ahead of the game.

ElCid
November 21st, 2013, 07:57 PM
I need my periodic rant. How many times have people complained against the Patriot for having a cupcake schedule. Some of those same people are saying at least "1 maybe 2" bids from the Ivy. And who does the Ivy play "predominantly'? The Patriot! Yes, yes, I know, they have a couple of other OOC games but not enough to warrant any consideration for a bid. OK, Yale pulled off a great win against Cal-Poly. Looked great at the time, not so much now, just good, especially on the road. So these same people either have faulty logic circuits in the gray matter or they are just dumb. I think Ivy could do well if only they expanded their OOC play. As I said in another thread, every team needs to play one meaningful team from the major conferences each year, and keep a cupcake. I would buy in to at least ranking them. But as it stands today, they deserve 1, like any other lower tier conference. At least until they step it up. And since they feel the need to cloister themselves (at least their administrations) any talk of even 1, is wasted breath. There, I feel better. Come on Ivy alum, get some pressure going. I know you who love football have probably fought the battle, but keep the pressure constant. I want to see the Ivy in the thick of it. I honestly like you guys. I thought the Princeton series we had a few years ago was great.

Sandlapper Spike
November 21st, 2013, 09:05 PM
It would be a one-bid league in almost every year with its current non-conference scheduling philosophy. I think this season it would be a two-bid league, though, assuming Princeton and Harvard both won on Saturday.

JayJ79
November 21st, 2013, 09:24 PM
I need my periodic rant. How many times have people complained against the Patriot for having a cupcake schedule. Some of those same people are saying at least "1 maybe 2" bids from the Ivy. And who does the Ivy play "predominantly'? The Patriot! Yes, yes, I know, they have a couple of other OOC games but not enough to warrant any consideration for a bid. OK, Yale pulled off a great win against Cal-Poly. Looked great at the time, not so much now, just good, especially on the road. So these same people either have faulty logic circuits in the gray matter or they are just dumb. I think Ivy could do well if only they expanded their OOC play. As I said in another thread, every team needs to play one meaningful team from the major conferences each year, and keep a cupcake. I would buy in to at least ranking them. But as it stands today, they deserve 1, like any other lower tier conference. At least until they step it up. And since they feel the need to cloister themselves (at least their administrations) any talk of even 1, is wasted breath. There, I feel better. Come on Ivy alum, get some pressure going. I know you who love football have probably fought the battle, but keep the pressure constant. I want to see the Ivy in the thick of it. I honestly like you guys. I thought the Princeton series we had a few years ago was great.

that's what I was thinking. I don't really see any wins on any of the Ivy schedules that would indicate worthiness of an at-large.

Ivytalk
November 22nd, 2013, 06:43 AM
I hate to be the resident Ivy cynic, but the simple fact is that hardly anyone but the athletes themselves, some of the Ivy coaches, message board diehards, and a rapidly dwindling pool of caring alumni champion Ivy FB playoff participation. The current students, who stay away in droves, couldn't care less.

Go...gate
November 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM
IMO, if Princeton had beaten Dartmouth, they would have warranted a bid as the undisputed Ivy League Champion.

clenz
November 24th, 2013, 10:45 PM
How many bids?

Probably 2...

The champion and then a second team to take the 2nd bid that the MVFC gets

Green26
November 24th, 2013, 11:00 PM
This year, zero teams from Ivies would deserve an at-large bid. In most years, 1 or 2 teams. Could Princeton or Harvard, or even Dartmouth, beat several of the crappy teams in the playoffs this year? Yes.