PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Auto-Bid...

pike51
November 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Chattanooga, Furman, and Samford all have 2 SoCon losses headed into the weekend.

Chattanooga is finished with conference play and has losses to Georgia Southern and Samford.

Samford plays Elon and has losses to Citadel and Furman.

Furman plays Wofford and has losses to Chattanooga and Elon.

If Samford and Furman both win, there is a 3 way tie for the championship. How does the auto-bid work then? I think Furman gets it but don't remember why.

If Furman loses and Samford wins, Samford gets the autobid by head to head over Chatty.

If both Furman and Samford lose, Chatty gets the autobid.

If Furman wins and Samford loses, Chatty gets the autobid head to head over Furman.

DoWe
November 21st, 2013, 08:38 AM
This was posted in another thread. Furman will get the auto-bid in a 3 way tie because of their record against the next highest finishing teams.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2013, 10:23 AM
It's a little odd. There are two absolute must win games this weekend. Furman has to beat Wofford, and Samford has to beat Elon.

The good news for Furman is that even though it has to rely on Samford winning to make the playoffs, the Bulldogs have their own skin in the game as they have to win to make the field as well.

The way I see it looking towards the playoffs
Furman and Samford win - FU/Sam are the SoCon's playoff teams
Furman loses Samford wins - Sam/UTC are the SoCon's playoff teams
Furman loses Samford loses - UTC is the Socon's playoff team
Furman wins Samford loses - UTC is the SoCon's playoff team

Obviously, if UTC beats Alabama, then they will go to the playoffs and the SoCon might get three teams in. I just don't see them getting three in another way, unless the Mocs give the Tide what for.

Strange bedfellows. Samford will be huge Wofford fans. Furman will be huge Samford fans. UTC will be huge Elon and Wofford fans.