PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Robinson Award Candidates

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Just saw this - http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4641316

Furman's Bruce Fowler and Mercer's Bobby Lamb make the list.

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Lol at Wolford

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 01:50 PM
They haven't given a back to back but there is no way you can't give it to Bohl. His team has been the most successful on and off the field.

World
November 19th, 2013, 01:56 PM
It appears that this coach is in the clear lead:

Bob Surace, Princeton - In joining the Top 25 for the first time since 2006, the No. 22 Tigers have smashed Ivy League offensive records and would clinch an outright league title with a ninth straight win this weekend. 2013 Records: 8-1, 6-0 Ivy

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
It appears that this coach is in the clear lead:

Bob Surace, Princeton - In joining the Top 25 for the first time since 2006, the No. 22 Tigers have smashed Ivy League offensive records and would clinch an outright league title with a ninth straight win this weekend. 2013 Records: 8-1, 6-0 Ivy
But an Ivy League coach has never won the award and there isn't much of a voting block for Ivy League support.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I'd think Cosgrove, Moorhead, and Babers are the front runners.

maine612
November 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I'll be a total homer here and throw my support to Jack Cosgrove. Picked 8th in the preseason for CAA, not even mentioned by anyone as being any sort of playoff threat, having to recruit to northern Maine (trust me, its cold, windy and our facilities are pretty spartan). What he's done with this group is pretty remarkable. All the coaches respect him in the CAA and he graduates guys at a huge rate. He represents our state well and I hope he gets honored with this award.

OL FU
November 20th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I'll be a total homer here and throw my support to Jack Cosgrove. Picked 8th in the preseason for CAA, not even mentioned by anyone as being any sort of playoff threat, having to recruit to northern Maine (trust me, its cold, windy and our facilities are pretty spartan). What he's done with this group is pretty remarkable. All the coaches respect him in the CAA and he graduates guys at a huge rate. He represents our state well and I hope he gets honored with this award.

Sounds like I pretty good argument to me. Besides that I remember being in Maine in June and it wasn't exactly warm thenxrotatehx

lionsrking2
November 20th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Ron Roberts needs to be on the short list. We were 5-17 the two years prior to his arrival, and are now 9-2 ... still have one more conference game to play (never underestimate our rival, Nicholls State), but we've dominated a much improved Southland Conference, winning every game by double figures, and by an average of 25+ points ... 3-1 vs the current top 25 (two wins over top 10 teams).

McNeese75
November 20th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Ron Roberts needs to be on the short list. We were 5-17 the two years prior to his arrival, and are now 9-2 ... still have one more conference game to play (never underestimate our rival, Nicholls State), but we've dominated a much improved Southland Conference, winning every game by double figures, and by an average of 25+ points ... 3-1 vs the current top 25 (two wins over top 10 teams).

I think someone who has done more with less will get this one. Roberts has done great but I think that is more related to good (and or fortunate) recruiting than coaching.

Texas
November 20th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I think someone who has done more with less will get this one. Roberts has done great but I think that is more related to good (and or fortunate) recruiting than coaching.

Don't be so bitter.

McNeese75
November 20th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Don't be so bitter.

Bitter??? Not at all, just passing along my thoughts. The McNeese coach is on the list as well and I would put Roberts above him but I think there are others more deserving (IMO)

Twentysix
November 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Bohl deserves it. :\

Top 25 Sagarin before the playoffs even start, yet late in the season.

lionsrking2
November 20th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Roberts is about way more than just good recruiting. He's assembled an outstanding coaching staff, who have been together for several years ... they're as good a team-builders as you're gonna find anywhere ... the chemistry and work ethic of this football team is off the charts and everybody has bought in, whether they were already here under the old staff or recently signed. As a staff, they do as good a job as anybody when it comes game planning and in-game adjustments. They also do a great job of utilizing everyone on the roster, which is great for team morale and building depth. We've had a number of injuries this year and have been able to absorb them. I have no idea who will win it, and no question there are other coaches just as deserving, but Roberts should definitely get serious, serious consideration.

McNeese75
November 20th, 2013, 08:28 PM
He is on the list. That is pretty serious.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I think the winner is going to be either Babers, Bohl, or Roberts but I believe the award should either go to Cosgrove, Chadwell, or Bobby Lamb.

For the reasons mentioned by the Maine supporter, Chadwell beat App State and took a program who has never been good making them into a playoff caliber team, and Bobby Lamb for winning 9 games with a jump star program.

Ron Roberts did the quick fix taking so many transfers but what he has done should be done when you are loaded with 3 and 4 star recruits in the FCS. If I had known about all of his transfers in the summer I would have said they should be top 10. I wouldn't have projected it because many times transfers don't play well as a team but if you look at the talent of their players they should be in the semis this year. Anything less than the semis and they underachieved in the playoffs.

lionsrking2
November 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Ron Roberts did the quick fix taking so many transfers but what he has done should be done when you are loaded with 3 and 4 star recruits in the FCS. If I had known about all of his transfers in the summer I would have said they should be top 10. I wouldn't have projected it because many times transfers don't play well as a team

That's exactly why he deserves it IMO ... not only can he and his staff recruit, they coach em up and are masters at getting kids to buy into the team concept ... about as thorough an effort as one can do.

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2013, 09:50 PM
That's exactly why he deserves it IMO ... not only can he and his staff recruit, they coach em up and are masters at getting kids to buy into the team concept ... about as thorough an effort as one can do.

The problem is that all he did was put a good system in place. The talent is there. If you look on paper you guys should win every game you played this year except for TCU. I think recruiting and winning at CSU or building a team in a place like Maine is a little more impressive. You have to remember they are winning with FCS recruits. Roberts is winning with FBS recruits. He should win. Give me 25 three and four star recruits for the next two years and I guarantee you I will slap around any league in FCS. He's done a good job. I just think the others are a tougher job. They are winning with inferior talent as opposed to all of the blue chip recruits he has.

It will be interesting to see if he takes a FBS job after this year and if SLU is in bad shape in two years from now when the QB is gone and there are two real thin recruiting classes, in terms of HS kids. The next HC may have to take a lot of JC kids for a quick fix while they build youth but that's me thinking out loud for you guys in 2-3 years from now.

McNeese75
November 20th, 2013, 10:03 PM
My vote would go to Cosgrove of Maine

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Bobby Lamb of Mercer should win this award. He won't but he should.

lionsrking2
November 20th, 2013, 10:09 PM
The problem is that all he did was put a good system in place. The talent is there. If you look on paper you guys should win every game you played this year except for TCU. I think recruiting and winning at CSU or building a team in a place like Maine is a little more impressive. You have to remember they are winning with FCS recruits. Roberts is winning with FBS recruits. He should win. Give me 25 three and four star recruits for the next two years and I guarantee you I will slap around any league in FCS. He's done a good job. I just think the others are a tougher job. They are winning with inferior talent as opposed to all of the blue chip recruits he has.

It will be interesting to see if he takes a FBS job after this year and if SLU is in bad shape in two years from now when the QB is gone and there are two real thin recruiting classes, in terms of HS kids. The next HC may have to take a lot of JC kids for a quick fix while they build youth but that's me thinking out loud for you guys in 2-3 years from now.

Again, you're making the case for him. Somebody had to recruit those kids and put a "good system" in place ... coaching is more than just Xs and Os, it's the total package, from recruiting, scheme, team building (chemistry), etc. Roberts left Delta State with a pretty good nucleus of talent and Jamey Chadwell came in and went and 3-7 in his only year there last year (Todd Cooley comes in behind him and goes 7-3) ... he's obviously done a great job at CSU, and is worthy of the award himself, but I doubt seriously he could have turned our program around in two years, the way Ron has.

As for taking an FBS job, I'm sure he will at some point, if the right one is available, but I doubt he leaves anytime soon ... at least not while his oldest son is still in HS (starting QB this year as a freshman) ... they like it here and he just recently signed a three-year extension ... if somebody dumps a million bucks in his lap, all bets are off, but he's not going to leave right now for the sake of taking just any FBS job.