PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

Srdnaty
November 18th, 2013, 08:56 PM
If Maine beats UNH what is the liklihood that they will jump Eastern Washington? Why?

What team in the top 6 presents the most difficult match up for NDSU? Why?

As a Maine fan I'm bias, but I'll admit I have not watched any eastern illinois and only a little eastern washington.

I would love to hear NDSU fans take.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2013, 09:01 PM
#1: They might jump over EWU but the Eagles win over Oregon State looks really good to the committee. Maybe but doubt it.

#2: Any of them could beat the Bison but they cannot be 1-dimensional and have to play good defense. IMO it would be a team like Towson. EWU could also give them a run just because VA is really athletic and extends plays.

sharkeycox
November 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
If Maine beats UNH what is the liklihood that they will jump Eastern Washington? Why?

As a Maine fan I'm bias, but I'll admit I have not watched any eastern illinois and only a little eastern washington.

I would love to hear NDSU fans take.

Well, I think the toughest challenge to the Bison may be SELA. They smashed my Cowboys and handled Sam Houston easily. They are balanced and have a lot of players.

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2013, 09:19 PM
On the flip side, The Bison are the one team that might be able to beat EIU. NDSU could do it by grinding out their ground game and dominating time of possession keeping the EIU offense off the field. I think that will work better than getting in a shootout with the Panthers. EIU just has too many guns.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Having seen North Dakota State, Maine and Towson all in person and also other games on film, I think these are the top three teams talent-wise. Fordham is a dangerous team as well, if Michael Nebrich and Tebucky Jones, Jr. are healthy and in the lineup. NDSU is clearly the team to beat, because of depth and experience (the two things that Craig Bohl and I talked about on Saturday evening, after the game at YSU). But Maine and Towson have the talent to put pressure on NDSU. The key for those teams would be to jump to a lead and force the Bison out of their comfort zone. Fordham isn't as good defensively as Maine and Towson, but could get on a roll offensively and say "catch me if you can." I have to see more of Southern Louisiana (and will be watching more film this week) to form an opinion on the Lions, but those wins over good McNeese State and Sam Houston State teams are pretty impressive. Eastern Washington can get on a roll offensively, but I don't think the Eagles have enough defense to stop NDSU, particularly the Bison running game. The worry I would have about Eastern Illinois is that the Panthers haven't been challenged as much by their schedule in the OVC as NDSU, Maine and Towson have been. I think that NDSU has the type of defense to disrupt EIU's offense and can also play ball control. Remember one big thing about EIU also, the OVC hasn't won a single postseason game in this century. This is probably the year that changes, but there is a big difference between getting that monkey off your back and beating the two-time defending national champion.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2013, 09:38 PM
#1: They might jump over EWU but the Eagles win over Oregon State looks really good to the committee. Maybe but doubt it.

#2: Any of them could beat the Bison but they cannot be 1-dimensional and have to play good defense. IMO it would be a team like Towson. EWU could also give them a run just because VA is really athletic and extends plays.
Personally, I wouldn't place EWU in the top four and you could make a strong case for the Eagles being seeded behind Sam Houston State because the Bearkats beat the Eagles by two touchdowns head-to-head. Does a win over Oregon State mean more than a head-to-head loss? Why would you seed EWU ahead of any of the three Southland Conference teams when SHSU beat EWU and lost to McNeese State and SLU handily?

Grizo406
November 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Well, I think the toughest challenge to the Bison may be SELA. They smashed my Cowboys and handled Sam Houston easily. They are balanced and have a lot of players.

IMO, (which means A LOT to the various message boards that I post on), you are spot on, Mr. sharkey!

SELA is gonna' be tough to beat!!xnodx

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Having seen North Dakota State, Maine and Towson all in person and also other games on film, I think these are the top three teams talent-wise. Fordham is a dangerous team as well, if Michael Nebrich and Tebucky Jones, Jr. are healthy and in the lineup. NDSU is clearly the team to beat, because of depth and experience (the two things that Craig Bohl and I talked about on Saturday evening, after the game at YSU). But Maine and Towson have the talent to put pressure on NDSU. The key for those teams would be to jump to a lead and force the Bison out of their comfort zone. Fordham isn't as good defensively as Maine and Towson, but could get on a roll offensively and say "catch me if you can." I have to see more of Southern Louisiana (and will be watching more film this week) to form an opinion on the Lions, but those wins over good McNeese State and Sam Houston State teams are pretty impressive. Eastern Washington can get on a roll offensively, but I don't think the Eagles have enough defense to stop NDSU, particularly the Bison running game. The worry I would have about Eastern Illinois is that the Panthers haven't been challenged as much by their schedule in the OVC as NDSU, Maine and Towson have been. I think that NDSU has the type of defense to disrupt EIU's offense and can also play ball control. Remember one big thing about EIU also, the OVC hasn't won a single postseason game in this century. This is probably the year that changes, but there is a big difference between getting that monkey off your back and beating the two-time defending national champion.

If you can find a tape of the K State game, look at what the analysts say. NDSU, while 2 scores down to a Big 12 team, never change their pace. They never got out of their comfort zone.

I don't think it's possible.

Catbooster
November 19th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Personally, I wouldn't place EWU in the top four and you could make a strong case for the Eagles being seeded behind Sam Houston State because the Bearkats beat the Eagles by two touchdowns head-to-head. Does a win over Oregon State mean more than a head-to-head loss? Why would you seed EWU behind any of the three Southland Conference teams when SHSU beat EWU and lost to McNeese State and SLU handily?
I assume you meant "why would you seed EWU ahead of any of the three Southland Conference teams" and my answer would be that the EWU loss was almost 2 months ago. That's quite awhile ago as football seasons go. I think EWU is a better team now than they were then. IMO you can't just look at those 3 games and neatly place the 4 teams without considering anything else. That being said, EWU certainly did lose to SHSU so it's not an unreasonable argument to use their loss to SHSU.

frozennorth
November 19th, 2013, 12:25 AM
how is EIU's O-line?

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I assume you meant "why would you seed EWU ahead of any of the three Southland Conference teams" and my answer would be that the EWU loss was almost 2 months ago. That's quite awhile ago as football seasons go. I think EWU is a better team now than they were then. IMO you can't just look at those 3 games and neatly place the 4 teams without considering anything else. That being said, EWU certainly did lose to SHSU so it's not an unreasonable argument to use their loss to SHSU.

We haven't lost in two months either, and we're certainly better than we were in September.

Catbooster
November 19th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Most successful teams are better now than they were in September.

Should you be ranked behind South Dakota State since you lost to them in September?

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Most successful teams are better now than they were in September.

Should you be ranked behind South Dakota State since you lost to them in September?

This isn't about whether we should be ranked ahead or behind South Dakota State, based on the outcome of a game played in September; it's about comparing our body of work with EWU's for seeding purposes.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:35 AM
If you can find a tape of the K State game, look at what the analysts say. NDSU, while 2 scores down to a Big 12 team, never change their pace. They never got out of their comfort zone.

I don't think it's possible.
I have the K-State game on my computer. But Maine and Towson (and even Fordham) have the ability to keep putting points up on the board. Towson also has the best running back in FCS with Terrance West. If you are still down by a couple of scores late, at some point you are going to be forced out of your comfort zone.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:36 AM
It was late when I wrote that. Give a guy a break. Obviously you understood my convoluted logic.

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM

First, the selection committee seeding won't necessarily mimic the polls. So Maine may not need to "jump" E. Washington.
Like you I haven't seen E. Illinois play. I'm stunned by the numbers they put up but don't know just how good they may be.
Personally I think SE Louisiana and E. Washington are currently the two hottest teams in the country. These are two I've seen more than once on TV.
SELA is an extremely fast well balanced team. Early on they killed themselves with mistakes. Lately they appear to have cleaned that up.
E. Washington is just plain dangerous. Their QB & receivers have an ability to score on every play. Their defense isn't the best but they don't have to be.
Unlike Mr. C, I have doubts that even tough talented squads like Towson or Maine could grind out a win versus ND State. Though I agree with Mr. C, that the key is to get NDSU out of their comfort zone. So if the Bison fall behind one of these high powered offenses (SELA, EWU, or E IL?), I have real doubts ND State's offense will be able to dig out of the hole. Yes they can score but can they score enough?

Twentysix
November 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Agreed I think a mistake free high functioning SELA will be the biggest challenge.

Texas
November 19th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Naturally Big Sky teams are extremely overrated. SELA can handle any of them easily, said it all year this is the team to watch.

AmsterBison
November 19th, 2013, 08:31 AM
1. Maine could jump over EWU, but I've got no clue how the committee does stuff.
2. I'd say with Grant Olson gone from the MLB that a balanced team with a potent rush offense and a stingy D would match up best with NDSU as long as Marcus Williams gets healthy by the time NDSU faces a top 6 team (assuming NDSU gets that far.) I'll say Towson just based on their outstanding running back.

LeeshaJo
November 19th, 2013, 08:39 AM
People said that last year was the year the OVC got a win as well about EIU, just saying. I know they are better this year, but .... are they that much better? or just not exposed yet? Maybe a bit of both?

I think the Lions (SELA) are the team I expect to see give NDSU its best game with the chance for the upset. (I haven't seen Maine or Towson play so have a hard time trying to evaluate them)

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM
First, the selection committee seeding won't necessarily mimic the polls. So Maine may not need to "jump" E. Washington.
Like you I haven't seen E. Illinois play. I'm stunned by the numbers they put up but don't know just how good they may be.
Personally I think SE Louisiana and E. Washington are currently the two hottest teams in the country. These are two I've seen more than once on TV.
SELA is an extremely fast well balanced team. Early on they killed themselves with mistakes. Lately they appear to have cleaned that up.
E. Washington is just plain dangerous. Their QB & receivers have an ability to score on every play. Their defense isn't the best but they don't have to be.
Unlike Mr. C, I have doubts that even tough talented squads like Towson or Maine could grind out a win versus ND State. Though I agree with Mr. C, that the key is to get NDSU out of their comfort zone. So if the Bison fall behind one of these high powered offenses (SELA, EWU, or E IL?), I have real doubts ND State's offense will be able to dig out of the hole. Yes they can score but can they score enough?

This. I think to beat NDSU you have to turn the game into a track meet.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
On the flip side, The Bison are the one team that might be able to beat EIU. NDSU could do it by grinding out their ground game and dominating time of possession keeping the EIU offense off the field. I think that will work better than getting in a shootout with the Panthers. EIU just has too many guns.

I think it can work either way. EIU can get rich quick so if you're going to grind you also have to get some stops. SIU held them to their lowest point total in regulation and most of the night they were only bringing three and once in a while four because the EIU QB gets rid of the ball so fast. We had three sacks but I saw at least five more time when he avoided them including a couple of grounding calls that we didn't get. Great style match up if it happens. Same with EWU but I haven't seen them. EIU hung 39 on their FBS opponent and lost by 4. I think the Bison have the DL to play nickel/dime without being susceptible to the run

kalm
November 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Personally, I wouldn't place EWU in the top four and you could make a strong case for the Eagles being seeded behind Sam Houston State because the Bearkats beat the Eagles by two touchdowns head-to-head. Does a win over Oregon State mean more than a head-to-head loss? Why would you seed EWU ahead of any of the three Southland Conference teams when SHSU beat EWU and lost to McNeese State and SLU handily?

Umm...might wanna compare the resume's. SHSU has one more loss against an easier schedule. Yes, SHSU beat us handily at home in September, but one game does not a season make.

Yes, defense is not our strength but it has improved and we are starting to get healthy. Keep in mind that while we gave up the yards the last two weeks, we held the nation's #1 rushing attack relatively in check for 3 quarters and held them to 3 Pts before we pulled starters. The week before we held a solid run first MSU to one score in the second half. We had similar success against Montana's rushing attack earlier in the year.

Both Poly and MSU wanted to grind out long drives and keep our offense off the field, much like NDSU would like to do. Don't know if it would work for them either.

Texas
November 19th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Umm...might wanna compare the resume's. SHSU has one more loss against an easier schedule. Yes, SHSU beat us handily at home in September, but one game does not a season make.

We would be undefeated if we played in Big Sky conference. It's a joke.

jmufan999
November 19th, 2013, 10:19 AM
i don't see anyone winning in Fargo and it looks like they'll have homefield throughout again.

best chance is for someone to beat them in Frisco. for the love of god, it better not be Sam Houston State again. i need to see a different matchup. would love to see EWU play them.

kalm
November 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM
We would be undefeated if we played in Big Sky conference. It's a joke.

I'm rooting for you guys to beat UCA get an at-large this year, I really am! Hell, I'll even chip in bus money for you to come up to Frisco and see how a team other than NDSU wins a chipper!

Texas
November 19th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I'm rooting for you guys to beat UCA get an at-large this year, I really am! Hell, I'll even chip in bus money for you to come up to Frisco and see how a team other than NDSU wins a chipper!
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1191763_o.gif

tomq04
November 19th, 2013, 02:27 PM
i need to see a different matchup. would love to see EWU play them.

me too!

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2013, 02:38 PM
This. I think to beat NDSU you have to turn the game into a track meet.

That is my assumption also. It just requires a QB who can either get rid of the ball very quickly, or extend plays long enough to make them work. NDSU will eat them up otherwise.

AmsterBison
November 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM

From what I've heard, the only team that can beat NDSU is NDSU. So the only matchup in Frisco that would result in an NDSU loss is NDSU v NDSU. In which case, you would see NDSU lose, but they'd still win another chipper.

It's science.

Bisonator
November 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM
The blue print for beating NDSU is this: Big, physical and athletic linemen on both O and D. Get a lead and keep your defense off the field. Win the TOP.

There are a handful of teams in FCS who could do it. One of them probably won't be in the playoffs.;)

McNeese75
November 19th, 2013, 10:22 PM
SLU against EWU would be very interesting. There are a couple of nice sized (one is like 6'4") hard hitting DBs on the Lion team that just might change the thought process of those hot shot receivers VA is tossing to.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I think EWU has the weapons on offense to make it interesting. However, I'm not sure they have the personal on defense to dictate NDSU's offense. EWU's defense seems willing to to give up chunks of yards and even points so long as their offense gets its possessions. I don't think that tactic would work against NDSU. The Bison will be TRYING to methodically march the ball down the field.

The Eagles OOC schedule will serve them well in the playoffs. Oregon State might not be a great FBS team, but they're still pretty good. The confidence from a win like that would serve EWU well against NDSU. Likewise with EIU's performance against San Diego State and NIU. To beat NDSU you have to believe you can. Likewise with Alabama imo....

EWU, Towson and Fordham (with Nebrich) are similar teams imo.

Maine and William & Mary would also be an interesting match-up for NDSU. Both play very sound football that revolves around good defense. They're better versions of SIU, imo, who I had a great deal of respect for when healthy.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 11:50 PM
I think EWU has the weapons on offense to make it interesting. However, I'm not sure they have the personal on defense to dictate NDSU's offense. EWU's defense seems willing to to give up chunks of yards and even points so long as their offense gets its possessions. I don't think that tactic would work against NDSU. The Bison will be TRYING to methodically march the ball down the field.

The Eagles OOC schedule will serve them well in the playoffs. Oregon State might not be a great FBS team, but they're still pretty good. The confidence from a win like that would serve EWU well against NDSU. Likewise with EIU's performance against San Diego State and NIU. To beat NDSU you have to believe you can. Likewise with Alabama imo....

EWU, Towson and Fordham (with Nebrich) are similar teams imo.

Maine and William & Mary would also be an interesting match-up for NDSU. Both play very sound football that revolves around good defense. They're better versions of SIU, imo, who I had a great deal of respect for when healthy.
Towson is physical on both sides of the ball and not anything like Eastern Washington, or Fordham. Probably the team with the best ground game that NDSU might face. William & Mary is great defensively and also physical, but the Tribe probably doesn't have enough weapons offensively, particularly at QB to beat NDSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Towson is physical on both sides of the ball and not anything like Eastern Washington, or Fordham. Probably the team with the best ground game that NDSU might face. William & Mary is great defensively and also physical, but the Tribe probably doesn't have enough weapons offensively, particularly at QB to beat NDSU.

In terms of scoring points they are similar to EWU. The Tigers have been held under 30 points once, last week. They have the ability to score, and score quick. How they accomplish that might be different than other teams. Bottom line, I still believe their team is predicated on offense.

Fordham has a little Towson in them as well. Koonce gives them that dimension if they choose to actually use him. He could be the key to their playoff success. He and Nebrich could form a killer duo. Koonce was the one who entered the year with the press, not Nebrich or Ajala. In fact, West was pre-season TSN 2nd team and Koonce was 3rd team. The Rams have gotten a little pass happy as the season progressed.....

All 3 revolve around their offense. Towson seems to have the best defense of the 3...

lionsrking2
November 20th, 2013, 12:10 AM
The blue print for beating NDSU is this: Big, physical and athletic linemen on both O and D. Get a lead and keep your defense off the field. Win the TOP.

There are a handful of teams in FCS who could do it. One of them probably won't be in the playoffs.;)

Pretty much describes us ... we're big, athletic and physical on both sides of the ball, and very deep ... we can play smash mouth when we want or spread it out and use our speed ... certainly not making any predictions but I do think we match up about as well as anybody.

jmufan999
November 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM

agreed. Tribe would probably lose 13-7 to NDSU.