PDA

View Full Version : There's a way to get three BSC teams in

Jacks76
October 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Montana, Montana State and Northern Arizona all finish at 6-2 in the conference:

Montana beats Montana State (but loses to Idaho State/Weber State)
Montana State beats Northern Arizona (already happened)
Northern Arizona beats Montana (but loses to Portland State)

Three way tie:

Montana 6-2, 8-3
Montana St. 6-2, 7-4
NAU 6-2, 7-4

Who goes? Do all three go? As co-Big Sky champs, I think all three would share the BSC title and go to the playoffs. Granted, 7-4 teams are shaky I-AA playoff entrants at best, but a few years ago that's just what happened (the Big Sky got in Montana, MSU and NAU in 2003).

Even crazier would be this scenerio:

Montana 6-2, 8-3 (losses to NAU and Idaho State/Weber)
Montana St. 6-2, 7-4 (losses to Eastern Washington and Idaho State/Weber)
NAU 6-2, 7-4 (losses to Montana State and Portland State)
Portland State 6-2, 7-4 (losses to Montana and Montana State)

Who goes under that scenerio? All four?

Paul

Grizzaholic
October 9th, 2006, 05:25 PM
hopes and dreams....I think.

YoUDeeMan
October 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Montana, Montana State and Northern Arizona all finish at 6-2 in the conference:

Three way tie:

Montana 6-2, 8-3
Montana St. 6-2, 7-4
NAU 6-2, 7-4

Who goes? Do all three go? As co-Big Sky champs, I think all three would share the BSC title and go to the playoffs. Granted, 7-4 teams are shaky I-AA playoff entrants at best, but a few years ago that's just what happened (the Big Sky got in Montana, MSU and NAU in 2003).

Paul

I'll have what he's having. :rotateh:

dbackjon
October 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
The auto-bid would go to whichever team wins the conference tie-breaker. It would be up to the Playoff committee to determine if any of the others were worthy of one of the 8 at-large slots.

th0m
October 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Paul

In that case only the auto-bid goes, or PSU goes along. Getting an at-large at 7-4 is pretty rare, and getting 3 7-4's as an at-large (not even regarding the fact that they're from the same conf) is pretty much not even worth thinking about. At that point there are plenty of other teams more deserving.

My question is, what makes you think that Montana doesn't go undefeated in Big Sky play, and grabs the auto-bid outright, leaving no room for a backdoor tie-in team? If all the Big Sky teams beat up on each other except Montana, then do you think it's possible they get no at large bids at all?

Jacks76
October 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I think the only way that another team (other than Montana) goes is if they win out and finish 7-1 in the BSC, 8-3 overall. That's pretty much the situation facing NAU, Montana State, Portland State and (I think) Idaho State.

Paul

th0m
October 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM
IF (obviously a big one at that) Montana does not lose a Big Sky game, then the only team with only 1 conference loss when all is said and done can be Sacramento State, because they have already lost to Montana. The other 1-loss Big Sky teams, Montana State, Idaho State and Northern Arizona, have yet to play Montana.

I guess it is the interest of the ENTIRE conference, that Montana loses at least one conf game ;)

GOKATS
October 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Really doubtful if the BSC would get more than two- if that, depending on how the rest of the season plays out. Last year EWU 7-4 got the auto-bid because they won the three way tie breaker with MSU and UM. UM ( third in the tie breaker) got an at large bid even though the 'Cats beat them because the griz finished with a 7-3 record (win over Ft. Lewis didn't count) and the 'Cats finished 7-4.

Really doubt that anyone will get in w/ a 7-4 unless they're the auto as has been mentioned in another thread.

October 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
IF (obviously a big one at that) Montana does not lose a Big Sky game...Montana lost two conf games last year, one the year before, two the year before that, two the year before that... you get the picture, it's a big IF.

Ronbo
October 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM
If we take out NAU this Satuday easily then I don't see anyone good enough to challenge us. But you can keep wishing Ralph. I really think I can't remember you wishing any other school losses except us. Nice going Ralph. Please don't come back to Missoula.

Hansel
October 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
If we take out NAU this Satuday easily then I don't see anyone good enough to challenge us. But you can keep wishing Ralph. I really think I can't remember you wishing any other school losses except us. Nice going Ralph. Please don't come back to Missoula.

:waawaa: :waawaa: :waawaa: :waawaa:

griz37
October 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM

I will ask this nicely. PLEASE stop making the Griz fans on this board look like whiney crybabies. :bang: :bang: Ralph just pointed out the fact that we have lost at least one league for the last few seasons. Every game in the BSC is a potential loss, this Griz team is not above a bad game & a loss or maybe even 2.

Hansel
October 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I will ask this nicely. PLEASE stop making the Griz fans on this board look like whiney crybabies. :bang: :bang: Ralph just pointed out the fact that we have lost at least one league for the last few seasons. Every game in the BSC is a potential loss, this Griz team is not above a bad game & a loss or maybe even 2.
gotta watch out for them bobkitties :nod:

griz37
October 9th, 2006, 07:22 PM

And the Jacks, Bengals, & Wildcats too. Congrats on 7k Hansel. :hurray:

elkmcc
October 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM

I hope bobs cat wins out until Griz/cat week. I don't want them coming into Wa/Griz with nothing to lose again.:smiley_wi

elkmcc
October 9th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Seriously Ron. Check your medication bottle. I am almost certain you missed a day. He really doesn't mean it Ralph.

GOKATS
October 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM

WOW!! I think you've outdone yourself this time (quite an accomplishment).

:waawaa: :waawaa: :waawaa: : retard :

biobengal
October 9th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Three way tie:

Montana 6-2, 8-3
Montana St. 6-2, 7-4
NAU 6-2, 7-4

Paul

Paul, to answer your question you simply need to look to the past. In 2002 there was a three-way tie. 10-2 Montana, 7-4 Montana State, and 8-3 Idaho State. All 5-2 in league play. So who goes? All three? Of course not. MSU goes with the mythical BSC autobid, Montana goes because of their 10-2 record and the Bengals are left out in the cold. It's pretty simple, win out and your in, lose and your out. GET IT?

biobengal
October 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Oh, and by the way, is this Ronbo guy serious? Apparently, Ronbo and Ralph have some history. Hmmmmmm....... Keep it up, this is so much better than the wife making me watch sex in the city reruns.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I'll tell you this...the Socon is probably only sending two teams in this year, which means that there will be another spot open. Southland only looks like it has one realistic candidate (SHSU).

Jacks76
October 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM
What is the most a conference has ever sent? 3? 4?

Paul

The Cats
October 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM

Three way tie:

Montana 6-2, 8-3
Montana St. 6-2, 7-4
NAU 6-2, 7-4

Paul

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

October 9th, 2006, 09:00 PM
If we take out NAU this Satuday easily then I don't see anyone good enough to challenge us. But you can keep wishing Ralph. I really think I can't remember you wishing any other school losses except us. Nice going Ralph. Please don't come back to Missoula.Oh Rondiddlybo :) now you've hurt my feelings. I blissfully remember chatting peacefully with you in Griz confines, all cozy and comfy, happily swapping stories and anecdotes. We were two peas in a I-AA pod. :nod: You were a Griz homer for sure, unrelenting in your UM lust and trying to get me to share your koolaid. Little did I suspect that you would turn on me and knife my back. Trying to put words in my mouth that I wish the Griz or any I-AA team would lose... shame on you. :nono: Your grand finale of hateraid is pleading that I don't return to Missoula, Montana. :eek:

I guess the honeymoon's over between us huh? We split up on that dark sad night, two ships passing, like dust in the wind, and we knew that it was much more than a hunch. :( :bawling:

Me, I'm still on the road, heading for another I-AA joint. As I look over my shoulder I say maybe we'll meet again someday on the avenue. Maybe in Chatty too.

th0m
October 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I'll tell you this...the Socon is probably only sending two teams in this year, which means that there will be another spot open. Southland only looks like it has one realistic candidate (SHSU).

Plus it will also be likely that the Patriot will be sending just one.

What is the most a conference has ever sent? 3? 4?

Paul

The A-10 had 4 teams in 2004. JMU, Delaware, UNH and W&M. I'm pretty sure that's the most teams any conference has ever sent, I also think it's the only time it ever happened. The SoCon sent 3 teams last year.

WyomingGrizFan
October 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Getting an at-large at 7-4 is pretty rare,

I wonder what the selection committee would do if the best record of any I-AA team was no better than 7-4 then; invite no one?

October 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
... The A-10 had 4 teams in 2004. JMU, Delaware, UNH and W&M. I'm pretty sure that's the most teams any conference has ever sent, I also think it's the only time it ever happened. The SoCon sent 3 teams last year.The Gateway sent four in 2003, the first time it ever happened (WKU won the title in 2002). The SoCon regularly sent three. In fact it was in 2002 that the term WOOFED was created after an 8-3 Wofford team was not invited, maybe spurring the committee to break the 3 from 1 conference barrier the following year.

Mr. C
October 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM
The Gateway sent four in 2003, the first time it ever happened (WKU won the title in 2002). The SoCon regularly sent three. In fact it was in 2002 that the term WOOFED was created after an 8-3 Wofford team was not invited, maybe spurring the committee to break the 3 from 1 conference barrier the following year.
Ralph, it was even worse than that, Wofford was 9-3 (12 games were allowed that season, because of the extra week for scheduling) and beat both Georgia Southern and Appalachian State on the road and came within a few yards of beating Furman and winning the SoCon auto-bid outright.

paytonlives
October 9th, 2006, 10:08 PM
THIS WHOLE THREAD!!!

YoUDeeMan
October 9th, 2006, 10:18 PM
The Gateway sent four in 2003, the first time it ever happened (WKU won the title in 2002). The SoCon regularly sent three. In fact it was in 2002 that the term WOOFED was created after an 8-3 Wofford team was not invited, maybe spurring the committee to break the 3 from 1 conference barrier the following year.

The Big Sky is usually a tough conference worthy of multiple playoff teams, but some teams this year may have sacrificed a playoff shot to take paychecks from the I-A's.

As a side note, in 2003, the committee took some flak because, for the first time, they sent 4 teams from one conference (Gateway). Not one of those teams made it to the semi-finals. However, in 2004, the committee, despite the results of previous year, again sent four teams from one conference (A-10) into the playoffs. Collectively, those four A-10 teams lost only to Montana (besides losing to the other A-10 teams) as JMU won the championship.

biobengal
October 9th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Ralph, it was even worse than that, Wofford was 9-3 (12 games were allowed that season, because of the extra week for scheduling) and beat both Georgia Southern and Appalachian State on the road and came within a few yards of beating Furman and winning the SoCon auto-bid outright.

I don't even think Wofford was the next team in, ISU was. :eek:

October 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I don't even think Wofford was the next team in, ISU was. :eek:Final 2002 Regular Season Gridiron Power Index (11/27/2002)
I-AA.org
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=38071

...According to the GPI, the teams selected for the playoffs should have been as follows.
At-large bids:
6 Villanova
7 W Kentucky
8 Maine
9 Montana
10 Furman
11 E Illinois
12 Wofford
13 Appalachian St

The GPI was completely correct on all teams except for Wofford. The selection committee chose Northwestern State and left Wofford out.
-----------

Idaho State was #15 GPI. Northwestern State was #16.

Sorry Mr. C, I meant Wofford was 9-3.
http://i-aa.org/stats/fanzone/woffordhung365w.jpg

1Aneedsplayoffs
October 9th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I sense HEAT in this thread

No way the Big Sky gets three teams

PIRATETIZED1
October 9th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Posted by WyomingGrizFan
Getting an at-large at 7-4 is pretty rare,

I wonder what the selection committee would do if the best record of any I-AA team was no better than 7-4 then; invite no one?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

PIRATETIZED :cool:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

Jacks76
October 9th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Or even two, if the conference plays out with several 6-2, 7-4 teams. The rest of the country would have to have a complete meltdown in terms of win-loss records for a 7-4 team to make it. Sadly, some underrated, 7-4 teams could win a playoff game (or two) in I-AA.

I think the committee should consider the conference record of a I-AA playoff hopeful before dismissing them as "unworthy." 6-2 in any conference is great, despite a 7-4 overall record. Don't penalize team for scheduling multiple I-As in a single season; they do that for money, not to impress the I-AA selection committee.

At least in basketball, a good conference record is often rewarded despite a (less than stellar) overall win-loss record.

Paul

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I think the BSC is lucky to get 2 this year. If Montana wins the conference I could see the other teams knocking each other out.

October 10th, 2006, 12:26 AM
The committee is very serious about getting the best teams in the field...

JALMOND
October 10th, 2006, 12:39 AM
While we are on this thread, and all of us Big Sky posters are knee-deep in the manure out here, let me throw this at you, being that we are offering fantasy picks. Would you take PSU at 7-4 if the Vikings beat Oregon and lose to NAU? Just how much weight is a I-A win worth?

th0m
October 10th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Whoops, totally overlooked Gateway's 4 in 2003. I did scan the brackets, but not well enough xlolx

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 09:25 AM
While we are on this thread, and all of us Big Sky posters are knee-deep in the manure out here, let me throw this at you, being that we are offering fantasy picks. Would you take PSU at 7-4 if the Vikings beat Oregon and lose to NAU? Just how much weight is a I-A win worth?

So Portland State would have 2 I-A wins, something never done before by a I-AA team in recent history......

JALMOND
October 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM
So Portland State would have 2 I-A wins, something never done before by a I-AA team in recent history......

And in all likelyhood, stay home because of losses to MSU and NAU. How's that for a trivia question?