PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota Fires Head Coach Chris Mussman

Pages : [1] 2

FargoBison
November 18th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Confirmed out of #UND (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UND&src=hash); Chris Mussman has been fired #BigSkyFB (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BigSkyFB&src=hash)

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/402515856258658304

Bisonator
November 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM
That's too bad. I thought he had the program headed in the right direction. xlolx

Gil Dobie
November 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Bummer

Red & Black
November 18th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Ouch.

IBleedYellow
November 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Pretty sure everyone expected this, no?

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Inevitable. Next coach will be interesting. They need to get somebody in place in next three weeks.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Hope they can find some other dumb **** who doesn't realize it's a hockey school.

Green1
November 18th, 2013, 01:25 PM
That is disappointing.

kdinva
November 18th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Hope they can find some other dumb **** who doesn't realize it's a hockey school.

Ted Cain.......

aces1180
November 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Who paid for the buyout? I heard it was in the range of $250K...

Bisonator
November 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM

Maybe Hak can coach the FB team too. He isn't much of a hockey coach anyway!xsmiley_wix

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Who paid for the buyout? I heard it was in the range of $250K...

It probably came out of the Fighting Sioux Legal Fund.

gumby013
November 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Is he still eligible for the coach of the year thing I have been voting on?

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM
It probably came out of the Fighting Sioux Legal Fund.

Probably from the same fund that paid for the President's houses. Who cares.

AmsterBison
November 18th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Well, if I remember correctly, people did care plenty about that - or at least they made it sound like the crime of the century.

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
xpopcornx

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2013, 01:59 PM
http://www.troll.me/images/victory-baby/yes.jpg

Twentysix
November 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
How long until UND approaches craig bohl with an offer of $1,000,000/yr?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Here's where I'd be hitting the schadenfreude button hard but this is a good move so I'm kind of bummed.

marenlee
November 18th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Congrats UND fans!

Darlinikki150
November 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Well that's the end of an era. Hope you guys find someone good to turn that train wreck around.

gumby013
November 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Lane Kiffen is now following this thread.

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
How long until UND approaches craig bohl with an offer of $1,000,000/yr?

Well we'd save at least a couple hundred bucks on the background check and getting him registered in the state system since he's already an employee. Sounds workable.....

Gil Dobie
November 18th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Well we'd save at least a couple hundred bucks on the background check and getting him registered in the state system since he's already an employee. Sounds workable.....

Since King Roger's NCC kingdom folded, he must be available.

aces1180
November 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM

The taxpayers in the state of ND care, Sue.

citdog
November 18th, 2013, 03:30 PM
the question is.....WHO wants to take that career killing job in grand forks?

Darlinikki150
November 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Why do you say career killing?

citdog
November 18th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Why do you say career killing?

Being there certainly killed Mussman's chances at being a HC for awhile if ever agian.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Being there certainly killed Mussman's chances at being a HC for awhile if ever agian.

If you look into how he got the job in the first place you would know he isn't a head coach. App State fans can relate.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 03:39 PM
The taxpayers in the state of ND care, Sue.

It was a joke, dork.

Darlinikki150
November 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Well yes but he left with a losing record. Surely they can bring in a coach that can put together some winning seasons, hence not a career killer.

Gil Dobie
November 18th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Wonder if they look at former Bison Assistant, Caruso at DIII St Thomas?

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Since King Roger's NCC kingdom folded, he must be available.

I think he's enjoying the quiet life while nearing retirement at UMary.

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM

Mussman being an awful HC killed his chances at being a HC for a while if ever again. Plenty of other UND coaches have had great careers.

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Wonder if they look at former Bison Assistant, Caruso at DIII St Thomas?

Definitely on the radar.

darell1976
November 18th, 2013, 04:03 PM
At least AD Brian Faison has a record of hiring coaches that turn programs around like our women's hockey, volleyball, and men's basketball. I am so glad to hear it will be a "national" search. Thank God the Mussman era is done and UND can get out of the worst stretch of seasons since the mid 80's.

Southern Bison
November 18th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Wolford from YSU might be available if they miss out on the playoffs yet again...

Darlinikki150
November 18th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Wolford from YSU might be available if they miss out on the playoffs yet again...

Omg can you imagine drama king up there? He would most certainly cry that hockey is the reason his football team wasn't winning games.

THE HERD
November 18th, 2013, 04:24 PM
The head coach at Ferris St had a nice track record where ever he has gone....might be a guy to take a look at.

darell1976
November 18th, 2013, 04:28 PM
The head coach at Ferris St had a nice track record where ever he has gone....might be a guy to take a look at.

I think UND should focus on DI coaches. I wonder if Bo Pelini will accept the job after NU fires him. (j/k I wouldn't want him as coach)

IBleedYellow
November 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM
If NDSU would be to lose Bohl in the next few years I would want the Ferris State coach to at least get a look at NDSU. He impressed me. I don't want him at UN_.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 04:32 PM
If NDSU would be to lose Bohl in the next few years I would want the Ferris State coach to at least get a look at NDSU. He impressed me. I don't want him at UN_.

Don't worry, he will be all yours. Not even on the radar.

gumby013
November 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM
If Wolford gets the ax, Mangino would likely also be looking for a job.

I'm all for entertainment value in hiring.

gumby013
November 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Scratch that, Level 10 entertainment value, I recommend Houston Dale Nutt.

GoAgs72
November 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM
The Siouxsports.com forum had 143 pages under the Fire Mussman thread so I think it was expected. After a transition year or two, I think North Dakota will start making a comeback. Neither of the North Dakota teams have stayed in the cellar for long.

WeAreNorthDakota
November 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Faison stated in an interview this afternoon that he'd like someone with D1 experience and/or NFL playing experience. Based on that I'm guessing Caruso doesn't get a look initially.

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Buy-out is about $175k and will be reduced if Mussman gets another job elsewhere. All paid from donations.

Darlinikki150
November 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Buy-out is about $175k and will be reduced if Mussman gets another job elsewhere. All paid from donations.

Hockey money saves the day! Lol

darell1976
November 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM
The Siouxsports.com forum had 143 pages under the Fire Mussman thread so I think it was expected. After a transition year or two, I think North Dakota will start making a comeback. Neither of the North Dakota teams have stayed in the cellar for long.

I started that thread after our blowout loss to Idaho in 2011, after going 3-8 in 2010 the team was going nowhere and the 8-3 2011 season (5-3 DI record) was Muss's only bright spot. But going 3-8 twice in 4 years (no single coach in UND history which dates to 1894 ever did that) plus having around 2500 people for Senior Day was the last straw.

UNDBIZ
November 18th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Hockey money saves the day! Lol

And bison fans try to say hockey is bad for the football team, ;)

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM
I see that a newbie QB coach that espn once posted something positive about on a blog is the popular choice at siouxsports. xrolleyesx Hopefully Faison is not as brain dead as his fanbase.

DJKyR0
November 19th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Could the gap between the two programs be any bigger right now? UND at the bottom of their conference (or near enough), consistently getting blown out and squibbing on what was a dream home schedule that could have reinvigorated a noncommittal fan base, and all while firing their head coach and basically undoing years of recruiting while NDSU chases an undefeated season, third straight conference championship and a chance at a third straight national title?

My oh my.

darell1976
November 19th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Could the gap between the two programs be any bigger right now? UND at the bottom of their conference (or near enough), consistently getting blown out and squibbing on what was a dream home schedule that could have reinvigorated a noncommittal fan base, and all while firing their head coach and basically undoing years of recruiting while NDSU chases an undefeated season, third straight conference championship and a chance at a third straight national title?

My oh my.

Its the 1980's all over again, hopefully it doesn't take 8 years to get to the top of the conference.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Its the 1980's all over again, hopefully it doesn't take 8 years to get to the top of the conference.

The UND faithfull better be patient because the new coach will need to start all over.

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 08:08 AM

My oh my.

Do you feel better now? Good.

darell1976
November 19th, 2013, 08:15 AM
The UND faithfull better be patient because the new coach will need to start all over.

Yep a whole new coaching staff (I don't know if any will be retained), so it's like when RT took over in 86 UND won 3 games but the team got better and by 1990 was towards the top (couldn't de-throne the Bison til 93). At least the new guy will be Faison's first football head coach he has hired at UND and I know he doesn't want to fire another one.

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Faison stated in an interview this afternoon that he'd like someone with D1 experience and/or NFL playing experience. Based on that I'm guessing Caruso doesn't get a look initially.

That's too bad for UND, Caruso, from what I heard, was responsible for the recruitment of Joe Mays, Drago and Steve Walker, DI Athletes for sure.

UNDBIZ
November 19th, 2013, 09:29 AM
That's too bad for UND, Caruso, from what I heard, was responsible for the recruitment of Joe Mays, Drago and Steve Walker, DI Athletes for sure.

He would be my choice out of the names mentioned so far. Bollinger might have potential to be a great coach, but I don't think he's ready yet and I don't want UND to be the place he learns (fails) at.

WeAreNorthDakota
November 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM

I certainly agree that Caruso would be a good choice but I trust Faison to do his due diligence and find a qualified coach that fits his qualifications. The fact of the matter is this is FCS football and we're not going to get the best of both worlds. We can either choose someone who has been a successful head coach at a lower level or a successful coordinator or position coach at a higher level. It would appear that Faison prefers someone from the latter category and I'm sure he has a list of guys who fit that qualification that he'll be contacting in the next few weeks.

UNDBIZ
November 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM

We have a few horses in the barn, assuming there aren't mass defections in the coming months. Unfortunately our lineman on both sides of the ball have been lacking, but maybe they can be coached up. xprayx

As long as we play competitively and aren't getting blown out the next 2 years, it will be a great improvement. I think it will be good to get in a new coaching staff that isn't committed to playing less talented players simply because they're older too.

pike51
November 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM
How about Brian Van Gorder? His recent wardrobe is full of green already and he is a great program builder (in his own mind). Not to mention you'd learn all about the China Route!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWEhJuRIAAAqgnD.jpg

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/files/2011/08/Brian-VanGorder.jpg

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Lennon managed to do pretty well at UND, and has had SIU at the brink of play-offs since moving there.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I just don't know how you do it. You are at a disadvantage from every corner. You have an enormous conference that is just a drag to travel in, a home stadium that never gets full, a recruiting disadvantage, and an administration who will never give you as much attention as it does the hockey team.

You'll be lucky to get a young coach wanting to prove himself, probably like Lane Kiffin when he was at Tennessee.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Lennon managed to do pretty well at UND, and has had SIU at the brink of play-offs since moving there.

When Lennon was at UND, DII was on the serious decline. Down to 36 schollies so the playing field was very even.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Where's Rocky at since Northeastern canned their FB program? Another NDSU successful guy that knows about Grand Forks and the challenges there.

walliver
November 19th, 2013, 09:49 AM
How about Brian Van Gorder? His recent wardrobe is full of green already and he is a great program builder (in his own mind). Not to mention you'd learn all about the China Route!

And best of all, he's leaving after a year anyway, so if you don't like him, you don't have to fire him or buy him out.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Where's Rocky at since Northeastern canned their FB program? Another NDSU successful guy that knows about Grand Forks and the challenges there.

He's at Bryant. He has said he doesn't want to leave the northeast because his kids are in college and he wants to be close to them. I was thinking he was good for the URI job.

Plus, I doubt he would ever take the job at UND.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2013, 09:59 AM
WeAreNorthDakota
Re: North Dakota Fires Head Coach Chris Mussman

Heard Doug Williams may be available. xsmiley_wix Meets both search parameters. Although Louisiana to North Dakota is a HUGE climatic and cultural shift. :o Would be a good chance to possibly get SWAC games to "rebuild" D-I records @ UND.xeyebrowx

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 10:01 AM
When Lennon was at UND, DII was on the serious decline. Down to 36 schollies so the playing field was very even.

It was 36 scholarships all though the mid-late 90's to now. Not sure how he coached when it was on the decline. He won the national championship in 2001.

I would love to hear how being one of the best coaches on "level playing field" is a downfall?

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I just don't know how you do it. You are at a disadvantage from every corner. You have an enormous conference that is just a drag to travel in, a home stadium that never gets full, a recruiting disadvantage, and an administration who will never give you as much attention as it does the hockey team.

You'll be lucky to get a young coach wanting to prove himself, probably like Lane Kiffin when he was at Tennessee.

You are clueless. Open up your mind, take off your Bentrim autographed jammie's, and breathe a little.

You have to look at the university as a whole, endowments, academics, facilities. Coaches could care less how the team fared in the past two years, they care about money, support, and the previously mentioned amenities.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM
It was 36 scholarships all though the mid-late 90's to now. Not sure how he coached when it was on the decline. He won the national championship in 2001.

It was good from the 60's to the early 90's when they started cutting scholarships and teams started jumping ship. The teams that weren't chased away got brought down to Earth a little bit.

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 10:08 AM
It was good from the 60's to the early 90's when they started cutting scholarships and teams started jumping ship. The teams that weren't chased away got brought down to Earth a little bit.

So when NDSU couldn't give out more scholarships than their opponents, they couldn't win anymore? Pretty sad if true. Which it is.

walliver
November 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM

That seems an unusual prerequisite. It almost sounds like they have a specific individual in mind (I don't think Steve Spurrier is interested:D). There are a few successful coaches who played in the NFL, but I don't think playing pro football makes one a better coach, A "big name" might help recruiting a little.

WeAreNorthDakota
November 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM
That seems an unusual prerequisite. It almost sounds like they have a specific individual in mind (I don't think Steve Spurrier is interested:D). There are a few successful coaches who played in the NFL, but I don't think playing pro football makes one a better coach, A "big name" might help recruiting a little.

I think that's why the Bollinger speculation is gaining momentum. The quote seems to fit him to a tee.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I think that's why the Bollinger speculation is gaining momentum. The quote seems to fit him to a tee.

Didn't they already try someone who was out of his depth?

pike51
November 19th, 2013, 11:59 AM
And best of all, he's leaving after a year anyway, so if you don't like him, you don't have to fire him or buy him out.

This guy gets it!! :)

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
So when NDSU couldn't give out more scholarships than their opponents, they couldn't win anymore? Pretty sad if true. Which it is.

The extra scholarships added depth. As you can see with NDSU in FCS, depth is important. When DII went to 36 scholarships, the depth went to other schools with available scholarships. This leveled the playing field, as schools that could not afford 45 scholarships became more competitive with the schools that used to have 45 scholarships.

cmaxwellgsu
November 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Pike, I didn't know you had this kind of hatred for North Dakota....

Bisonator
November 19th, 2013, 01:02 PM
It was good from the 60's to the early 90's when they started cutting scholarships and teams started jumping ship. The teams that weren't chased away got brought down to the weaker teams a little bit.

FIFY

frozennorth
November 19th, 2013, 01:12 PM
the argument is that they couldn't monopolize the talent. I'm pretty sure most of the NCC was always at full scholarship.

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 01:39 PM
the argument is that they couldn't monopolize the talent. I'm pretty sure most of the NCC was always at full scholarship.

No they weren't. Not when it was 45.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 01:42 PM
FIFY

I was trying to be generous and not start a fight. It appears I failed.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM
No they weren't. Not when it was 45.

Agreed. SDSU was at 36 for their D-II days. Don't know quite what went into the scheduling vs NDSU, but it was uneven over a rolling 10 period. Jacks would play in Fargo 6 years out 10.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM

WTF? I wasn't reading this one cuz I figured it would be a **** show as usual but it's actually a pretty decent thread so glad I checked in cuz there's some funny stuff without a bunch of crap so it's refreshing to see.

Then we got this one...seriously, that's your take? UND has had a fairly good and proud program so it's now a career killer? Couldn't possibly be that Mussman had anything to do with his own career...it was Grand Forks huh?

Got it. It was UND/Grand Forks...nothing to do with Mussman.

darell1976
November 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM

That's what Rocky Hager says is how UND caught up and passed NDSU in the standings from 1993-2003. Rocky is that you?xsmiley_wix

344Johnson
November 19th, 2013, 03:55 PM
WTF? I wasn't reading this one cuz I figured it would be a **** show as usual but it's actually a pretty decent thread so glad I checked in cuz there's some funny stuff without a bunch of crap so it's refreshing to see.

Then we got this one...seriously, that's your take? UND has had a fairly good and proud program so it's now a career killer? Couldn't possibly be that Mussman had anything to do with his own career...it was Grand Forks huh?

Got it. It was UND/Grand Forks...nothing to do with Mussman.

As long as Bohl or his successor is doing well in Fargo that job is going to be a tough one. Are there enough D-I quality players in the area for all of the Dakota schools to excel?

That said, I'm sure UND can find a good coach to fix that program if they open up the checkbook....and if the coach can get a defense and running game put together they can do just fine.

That's what Rocky Hager says is how UND caught up and passed NDSU in the standings from 1993-2003. Rocky is that you?xsmiley_wix

And thats exactly how it works. You take schollies away, the good teams are the ones who get hurt. The average teams benefit the most.

darell1976
November 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM
As long as Bohl or his successor is doing well in Fargo that job is going to be a tough one. Are there enough D-I quality players in the area for all of the Dakota schools to excel?

That said, I'm sure UND can find a good coach to fix that program if they open up the checkbook....and if the coach can get a defense and running game put together they can do just fine.

And thats exactly how it works. You take schollies away, the good teams are the ones who get hurt. The average teams benefit the most.

So it had nothing with UND getting a good DC in Dale Lennon, plus having better players would it? Funny how UND takes over NDSU in the standings and even winning a NC Bison fans blame it all on scholarship reduction (even when most teams had the same amount as NDSU), and the division being watered down. Heaven forbid UND couldn't outcoach, and outrecruit the mighty Bison.

344Johnson
November 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM
So it had nothing with UND getting a good DC in Dale Lennon, plus having better players would it? Funny how UND takes over NDSU in the standings and even winning a NC Bison fans blame it all on scholarship reduction (even when most teams had the same amount as NDSU), and the division being watered down. Heaven forbid UND couldn't outcoach, and outrecruit the mighty Bison.

What you fail to realize is scholarship reductions hurt the top dogs. NDSU goes from getting 45 scholarships filled full of guys they want....to getting 36. Those 9 scholarships worth of guys are now going elsewhere. Guys who previously would have been at NDSU are then at UND, USD, SDSU, Mankato, etc etc. That makes those teams better, while making NDSU worse. While this process continues for a few years, now NDSU might not be even getting the guys they want all the time because these other schools are catching up. Now guys who 5 years earlier would have wanted to play for NDSU, might rather play for a different school because NDSU isn't the best, or isn't clearly the best anymore. Does it not seem a little bit odd that NDSU's decline in Division II relatively coincided with the scholarship cuts? I am not declaring that NDSU would have won the 90's like they did with the 80's...maybe things would have ended up similar...but it certainly would not have happened the same way.

I believe people called it then...that NDSU would get pulled back to the pack because of the cuts. And guess what? If they lowered FCS scholarships by 1/4, I bet you'd see top programs take a bit of a dive.

darell1976
November 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM
What you fail to realize is scholarship reductions hurt the top dogs. NDSU goes from getting 45 scholarships filled full of guys they want....to getting 36. Those 9 scholarships worth of guys are now going elsewhere. Guys who previously would have been at NDSU are then at UND, USD, SDSU, Mankato, etc etc. That makes those teams better, while making NDSU worse. While this process continues for a few years, now NDSU might not be even getting the guys they want all the time because these other schools are catching up. Now guys who 5 years earlier would have wanted to play for NDSU, might rather play for a different school because NDSU isn't the best, or isn't clearly the best anymore. Does it not seem a little bit odd that NDSU's decline in Division II relatively coincided with the scholarship cuts? I am not declaring that NDSU would have won the 90's like they did with the 80's...maybe things would have ended up similar...but it certainly would not have happened the same way.

I believe people called it then...that NDSU would get pulled back to the pack because of the cuts. And guess what? If they lowered FCS scholarships by 1/4, I bet you'd see top programs take a bit of a dive.

So there were 9 guys that NDSU didn't get, but at the same time there were 9 guys UND, Pitt St, N Alabama, UNC, USD, SDSU, and everyone didn't get either. Again it couldn't be because NDSU was getting outcoached could it? Obviously UND must have done something right to have the most wins against all the Dakota teams.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM
So there were 9 guys that NDSU didn't get, but at the same time there were 9 guys UND, Pitt St, N Alabama, UNC, USD, SDSU, and everyone didn't get either. Again it couldn't be because NDSU was getting outcoached could it? Obviously UND must have done something right to have the most wins against all the Dakota teams.

OK fine but you guys benefited more from the acrimony between the subtraction of Rocky than the addition of Dale Lennon.

You can thank Bob Entzion for that one. Or, more importantly, the Omaha PD.

This is a stupid argument. You can probably get Lennon back because he's going to get ****canned at SIU.

darell1976
November 19th, 2013, 05:14 PM
OK fine but you guys benefited more from the acrimony between the subtraction of Rocky than the addition of Dale Lennon.

You can thank Bob Entzion for that one. Or, more importantly, the Omaha PD.

This is a stupid argument. You can probably get Lennon back because he's going to get ****canned at SIU.

Has there been any word about him getting fired? I don't know how much time he has left on his contract.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Has there been any word about him getting fired? I don't know how much time he has left on his contract.

I don't know how many more slightly above average seasons they are going to take.

Darlinikki150
November 19th, 2013, 08:52 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/418753/

Kinda sticks up for Mussman, he was set up to fail. Nice article tho.

Bison56
November 19th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Does Jimmy Kliensaucer want to be a coach?

Darlinikki150
November 19th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Does Jimmy Kliensaucer want to be a coach?

Does he have any coaching exp? Where is he at these days?

Southern Bison
November 19th, 2013, 11:39 PM

The NCAA scholly reductions - straight out of the Democratic playbook. To level the playing field, you penalize the successful ('80s Bison) to bring them back down to the level of the mediocre ('80s UN_).

Darell, why did you change your signature so quick?? You at least left the illustrious 2012 W-L UN_ records up until this summer IIRC...

Darlinikki150
November 19th, 2013, 11:45 PM
The NCAA scholly reductions - straight out of the Democratic playbook. To level the playing field, you penalize the successful ('80s Bison) to bring them back down to the level of the mediocre ('80s UN_).

Darell, why did you change your signature so quick?? You at least left the illustrious 2012 W-L UN_ records up until this summer IIRC...

Omg leave it to you to compare football to politics. Ridiculous.

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Omg leave it to you to compare football to politics. Ridiculous.

How about we rename politics to what it really is - LIFE. If you are a success in whatever you do, there is an element out there that will nearly do or say anything to bring you back down to their level and proclaim it is all being done in "fairness" to everyone. Bison football has had a long history of financial support from Team Makers and they were able to fund 45 scholarships. Other schools that we played weren't as fortunate so they could only fund 36. Both situations were legal under the NCAA until the have-nots complained loud enough.

I have a great idea for the FCS/FBS matchups next year...when NDSU goes into Iowa State next fall, ISU will need to bench 22 scholarship players for the game so that it's "fair"...how's that sound?

Darlinikki150
November 20th, 2013, 12:24 AM
How about we rename politics to what it really is - LIFE. If you are a success in whatever you do, there is an element out there that will nearly do or say anything to bring you back down to their level and proclaim it is all being done in "fairness" to everyone. Bison football has had a long history of financial support from Team Makers and they were able to fund 45 scholarships. Other schools that we played weren't as fortunate so they could only fund 36. Both situations were legal under the NCAA until the have-nots complained loud enough.

I have a great idea for the FCS/FBS matchups next year...when NDSU goes into Iowa State next fall, ISU will need to bench 22 scholarship players for the game so that it's "fair"...how's that sound?

Cant argue now. Watching Gettysburg on H2.

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Does he have any coaching exp? Where is he at these days?

Jimmy lives in the Twin Cities with his wife, he also runs a football camp for youngsters in his hometown of Carrington. I can see him as a position coach but not head coach.

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 01:10 AM

I changed it to rid of the horrible Muss-led season. A brand new era next season including the last season UND will go without a nickname.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2013, 01:38 AM

someday you'll graduate from the from the stupid strawmen and horse**** rhetoric.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Thanks SB. Turning the FCSD board into the poli board is always a highlight for me.xthumbsupx

I'm really hoping we can all join in and get this thread to take the route of that piece of **** Samford thread from last week.

Darlinikki150
November 20th, 2013, 04:14 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/418934/

Coaches view on the game/ season. Nice article.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM

Damn, son. You are BITTER! Go get a massage or something, relax.

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks SB. Turning the FCSD board into the poli board is always a highlight for me.xthumbsupx

I'm really hoping we can all join in and get this thread to take the route of that piece of **** Samford thread from last week.

Now that Samford thread was funny!!

Let's say in 5 years, with a new coach & nickname, UNd actually starts to reach Tier 2 of the BSC. Will they be able to compete with the Bison for in-state or regional talent at that point? Still doubtful based upon the reputation & FCS legacy that NDSU has developed over the past 10 years.

Hammerhead
November 20th, 2013, 08:36 AM
That kid is even wearing the right colors!

http://www.troll.me/images/victory-baby/yes.jpg

aces1180
November 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Looking at UN_'s schedule for next year, I can't see them doing much better than this year...

Sat, Aug 30
San Jose State
at San Jose, Calif.
TBA

Sat, Sep 06
Robert Morris
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Sep 13
Missouri State
at Springfield, Mo.
TBA

Sat, Sep 20
Open
TBA
TBA

Sat, Sep 27
Montana State *
at Bozeman, Mont.
TBA

Sat, Oct 04
Montana *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Oct 11
Portland State *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Oct 18
Open
TBA
TBA

Sat, Oct 25
Southern Utah *
at Cedar City, Utah
TBA

Sat, Nov 01
Eastern Washington *
at Cheney, Wash.
TBA

Sat, Nov 08
Weber State *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Nov 15
Northern Arizona *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Nov 22
Northern Colorado *
at Greeley, Colo.
TBA

I'm thinking they will be lucky to get 4 wins, max.

In my opinion they will lose the following: SJSU, M(i)SU, M(o)SU, Montana, SUU, EWU, NAU
Toss-ups include: PSU, Weber State
I think they win against: Robert Morris, UNC

3-8, 4-7 seems about right...

bincitysioux
November 20th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Why are we assuming that North Dakota and FU weren't on a "level playing field" before the scholarship reduction?

Both schools had a lot of success in the 70's as well.........

Bisonator
November 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Why are we assuming that North Dakota and FU weren't on a "level playing field" before the scholarship reduction?

Both schools had a lot of success in the 70's as well.........

That is true however leading up to the scholarship reduction in I believe '93, NDSU was getting the better players. When we had to cut 9 scholarships those players went to other schools, weakening our program and boosting other programs including UN_. It's really not that hard to understand.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM
That is true however leading up to the scholarship reduction in I believe '93, NDSU was getting the better players. When we had to cut 9 scholarships those players went to other schools, weakening our program and boosting other programs including UN_. It's really not that hard to understand.

Yes it is. Apparently.

deez_na
November 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Saw this coming awhile ago. I also heard NDSU's defensive coordinator applied for the job.

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Let's say in 5 years, with a new coach & nickname, UNd actually starts to reach Tier 2 of the BSC. Will they be able to compete with the Bison for in-state or regional talent at that point? Still doubtful based upon the reputation & FCS legacy that NDSU has developed over the past 10 years.

NDSU won how many NCAA titles in the 80's and then started to lose to UND 10 out of the last 13 times from 1993-2003, you can't tell me that UND didn't outdo NDSU in the in-state or regional recruiting. UND got a lot of quality players and got better every year, playing for NC in 01 and 03, plus beating UNI in 2006 and SUU in 2007 as a DII team. Something was working in Grand Forks and it wasn't just hockey and women's basketball.

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 10:33 AM

News flash....UND had to cut 9 players as well, so did a lot of other teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM

Don't know. What does it matter though? They are doing something to try and be more competitive and actually take that next step. Not sure what the point is exactly? Should they not be trying or what are you trying to get across?

If they get better they will have a better chance at competing for that talent and also talent on the West Coast on the opposite side of their footprint. We just can't really say at this point.

WeAreNorthDakota
November 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM
The fact that a home game against Weber State could be considered a toss up is reason enough for Muss to get canned.

I don't see a turnaround happening in year one for the new coach but years two and three are where big improvement could come. A year or two under the new coach's system with guys like Golloday, Jackson, Kuksa, Edwards, Mollberg, and Bartels as upperclassmen is when this move is going to start paying off.

Looking at UN_'s schedule for next year, I can't see them doing much better than this year...

Sat, Aug 30
San Jose State
at San Jose, Calif.
TBA

Sat, Sep 06
Robert Morris
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Sep 13
Missouri State
at Springfield, Mo.
TBA

Sat, Sep 20
Open
TBA
TBA

Sat, Sep 27
Montana State *
at Bozeman, Mont.
TBA

Sat, Oct 04
Montana *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Oct 11
Portland State *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Oct 18
Open
TBA
TBA

Sat, Oct 25
Southern Utah *
at Cedar City, Utah
TBA

Sat, Nov 01
Eastern Washington *
at Cheney, Wash.
TBA

Sat, Nov 08
Weber State *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Nov 15
Northern Arizona *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Nov 22
Northern Colorado *
at Greeley, Colo.
TBA

In my opinion they will lose the following: SJSU, M(i)SU, M(o)SU, Montana, SUU, EWU, NAU

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
The fact that a home game against Weber State could be considered a toss up is reason enough for Muss to get canned.

I don't see a turnaround happening in year one for the new coach but years two and three are where big improvement could come. A year or two under the new coach's system with guys like Golloday, Jackson, Kuksa, Edwards, Mollberg, and Bartels as upperclassmen is when this move is going to start paying off.

Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5, its not impossible, but if UND can at least get over .500 (6-5) it will be a start. I still find it funny how we are playing Montana at home for the third year in a row, and no Cali teams except SJSU.

bincitysioux
November 20th, 2013, 11:44 AM

I'm just wondering where the idea is coming from that North Dakota, or SDSU and USD for that matter, were amongst the schools not operating with 45 scholarships when that was the limit. USD is another school that was very good in the 80's. SDSU was never good until they moved to DI, for whatever reason.

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I'm just wondering where the idea is coming from that North Dakota, or SDSU and USD for that matter, were amongst the schools not operating with 45 scholarships when that was the limit. USD is another school that was very good in the 80's. SDSU was never good until they moved to DI, for whatever reason.

They even played NDSU for a National Title, the only time two teams from the same conference played for a NC.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Don't know. What does it matter though? They are doing something to try and be more competitive and actually take that next step. Not sure what the point is exactly? Should they not be trying or what are you trying to get across?

If they get better they will have a better chance at competing for that talent and also talent on the West Coast on the opposite side of their footprint. We just can't really say at this point.

Wanted to expand on this a little. The right coach and the right attitude of the school and the team can make real positive strides in fairly short order.

USD isn't there yet but there is a marked improvement in the way they are palying in Joe Glenn's second year.

EIU has also had a massive turnaround with the way in which Dino Babers has taken that team and turned a team that was fairly mediocre just a few short years ago into a contender.

In this division talent levels are mostly pretty similar in the top 4 or 5 conferences and maybe even deeper than that. The real difference in these teams is usually more to do with coaching than it is the talent on the field.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM
News flash....UND had to cut 9 players as well, so did a lot of other teams.

You still don't get it. Example: Instead of the Bison getting Stark and Molstre, they only get Stark, Molstre goes to UND. UND's back goes to St Cloud. The talent is redistributed.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2013, 12:08 PM
NDSU won how many NCAA titles in the 80's and then started to lose to UND 10 out of the last 13 times from 1993-2003, you can't tell me that UND didn't outdo NDSU in the in-state or regional recruiting. UND got a lot of quality players and got better every year, playing for NC in 01 and 03, plus beating UNI in 2006 and SUU in 2007 as a DII team. Something was working in Grand Forks and it wasn't just hockey and women's basketball.
i wonder if babich maybe had something to do with that?

NDSU was still pretty good at times, if not for an ugly ugly quarterfinal game at UNO where I believe NDSU lost it's top3 qb's, I think NDSU takes home a title in 2000.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2013, 12:14 PM
thats not the idea.

much like now, when NDSU is cleaning up with many of the best recruits in the region, they had a dominant hold on regional talent. When the scholarship changes happened they were from having 45 of the best scholarship athletes to 36 of the best scholarship athletes, and many of those went to UND in particular. So the overall athleticism of NDSU fell while everyone else got a bump up, leveling the playing field.

F'N Hawks
November 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM
thats not the idea.

much like now, when NDSU is cleaning up with many of the best recruits in the region, they had a dominant hold on regional talent. When the scholarship changes happened they were from having 45 of the best scholarship athletes to 36 of the best scholarship athletes, and many of those went to UND in particular. So the overall athleticism of NDSU fell while everyone else got a bump up, leveling the playing field.

Ipso Facto - when the playing field evened out, they didn't win anymore national championships. Gotta wonder how good their coaching really was then?

bincitysioux
November 20th, 2013, 01:11 PM
thats not the idea.

So you are saying that up until the early 90's, NDSU was getting the best talent in the region. Other schools, particularly UND, couldn't get as good players. When the scholarship reduction came, the worst of the best players were forced to go to North Dakota. Those inferior players that NDSU passed on ended up turning the program around at North Dakota, and with inferior players, North Dakota eventually supplanted NDSU at the top of the NCC.

Hammerhead
November 20th, 2013, 01:24 PM
NDSU also has an open date on Sep 20. :)

Sat, Aug 30
San Jose State
at San Jose, Calif.
TBA

Sat, Sep 06
Robert Morris
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Sep 13
Missouri State
at Springfield, Mo.
TBA

Sat, Sep 20
Open
TBA
TBA

Sat, Sep 27
Montana State *
at Bozeman, Mont.
TBA

Sat, Oct 04
Montana *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Oct 11
Portland State *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Oct 18
Open
TBA
TBA

Sat, Oct 25
Southern Utah *
at Cedar City, Utah
TBA

Sat, Nov 01
Eastern Washington *
at Cheney, Wash.
TBA

Sat, Nov 08
Weber State *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Nov 15
Northern Arizona *
Grand Forks, N.D.
TBA

Sat, Nov 22
Northern Colorado *
at Greeley, Colo.
TBA

aces1180
November 20th, 2013, 01:39 PM

I say bring them to Fargo for $80K and bus fare!

UNDBIZ
November 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM
So you are saying that up until the early 90's, NDSU was getting the best talent in the region. Other schools, particularly UND, couldn't get as good players. When the scholarship reduction came, the worst of the best players were forced to go to North Dakota. Those inferior players that NDSU passed on ended up turning the program around at North Dakota, and with inferior players, North Dakota eventually supplanted NDSU at the top of the NCC.

It had nothing to do with coaching changes at all. Why can't we (UND fans) understand that?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I say bring them to Fargo for bus fare!

FIFY

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 03:55 PM

12 game schedule for a new coach including a trip to the Fargodome....what a way to start a contract.

Darlinikki150
November 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM
12 game schedule for a new coach including a trip to the Fargodome....what a way to start a contract.

Won't happen.

darell1976
November 20th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Won't happen.

Actually both won't happen, a 12 game schedule and a game against NDSU. I think UND is sticking with 11 games.

Darlinikki150
November 20th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Actually both won't happen, a 12 game schedule and a game against NDSU. I think UND is sticking with 11 games.

That's what I meant thank you. I really doubt UND would throw 12 games at new coach, let alone against NDSU even if we don't 3 peat. Still not a good move, sets up for failure of the coach and then still drives the fans away w a potential blowout.

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM

Don't forget to bring the nickel...you'll be $.05 lighter on the way back north.

What we are saying is that by gaining some of the 9 that we didn't have on scholarship, it filled in the missing pieces that your program needed while weakening the depth that NDSU had enjoyed. The failure of the Bison during that timeframe is that the coaching/recruiting didn't adjust quickly enough to make up for the loss.

bincitysioux
November 20th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Don't forget to bring the nickel...you'll be $.05 lighter on the way back north.

What we are saying is that by gaining some of the 9 that we didn't have on scholarship, it filled in the missing pieces that your program needed while weakening the depth that NDSU had enjoyed. The failure of the Bison during that timeframe is that the coaching/recruiting didn't adjust quickly enough to make up for the loss.

I think what you are saying is that you are really full of crap!!!!!!

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I think what you are saying is that you are really full of crap!!!!!!

Aww...3-8 getting a bit redundant for y'all? Don't worry, the Whioux are on a plan to win a Football NC every 107 years...it'll be back to that time after you've completely rotted 6' under.

344Johnson
November 20th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Ipso Facto - when the playing field evened out, they didn't win anymore national championships. Gotta wonder how good their coaching really was then?

A huge part of coaching is recognizing talent and getting it to come play for you.

It had nothing to do with coaching changes at all. Why can't we (UND fans) understand that?

I don't think anyone thinks that coaching has nothing to do with it. Simply not possible for NDSU to beat on UND for an eternity the way they did in the 80's...the streak was going to end sooner or later...but to say that scholarship reductions didn't hit NDSU harder than anyone else is just being naive.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2013, 10:15 PM
A huge part of coaching is recognizing talent and getting it to come play for you.

I don't think anyone thinks that coaching has nothing to do with it. Simply not possible for NDSU to beat on UND for an eternity the way they did in the 80's...the streak was going to end sooner or later...but to say that scholarship reductions didn't hit NDSU harder than anyone else is just being naive.

Let's go ahead and concede that point since it's so widely held by NDSU fans. I immediately wondered how you guys couldn't see what you are saying though and it was already mentioned here so I'll recycle it. You kept your best recruits presumably minus the 9 guys that had to be cast off. Someone else took those castoffs and made progress.

I guess I'll just never understand how you guys believe that is a valid excuse but so be it.

Grizo406
November 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM
A huge part of coaching is recognizing talent and getting it to come play for you...

Not to get too far off topic here, but a huge part of running a successful, respected FCS message board is recognizing talent and getting said talent to post on said message board.

If nothing else, Ursus does have an eye for talent! That's just one of the many reasons why the Grizo was so heavily recruited to join AGS.

Carry on, and you're welcome.

frozennorth
November 21st, 2013, 03:12 AM
under babich is wasn't particularly good and i think everyone has known this for years. If I remember my lore, Hager had a title caliber team in 1992 before Beachy went down, went 8-1 in conference and 10-2 overall and won the conference. He went 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, and 2nd whole making the quarterfinal 3 of 4 years, before getting fired after going 6-4 the next year, in 1996. There was certainly a coaching drop off under Babich.

frozennorth
November 21st, 2013, 03:17 AM

are you trying to say that it wasn't a factor? Seems to be a pretty big stretch that the talent level wouldn't fall when you lose 9 scholarships worth of top end players to your rivals.

frozennorth
November 21st, 2013, 03:23 AM
Let's go ahead and concede that point since it's so widely held by NDSU fans. I immediately wondered how you guys couldn't see what you are saying though and it was already mentioned here so I'll recycle it. You kept your best recruits presumably minus the 9 guys that had to be cast off. Someone else took those castoffs and made progress.

I guess I'll just never understand how you guys believe that is a valid excuse but so be it.

NDSU went from deep and dominant to beatable (and they did, indeed, lose some games), and eventually lost their edge. Why is that so hard to grasp, it's a very simple argument and seemingly easy to grasp.

AmsterBison
November 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM
What was the reason UND didn't win a playoff game for the first 20 years of D2 while NDSU was winning 5 national titles?

Are you seriously telling me that UND did not offer the same number of scholarships as NDSU until the scholarship limit in D2 was dropped down to 36?

UNDBIZ
November 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM
What was the reason UND didn't win a playoff game for the first 20 years of D2 while NDSU was winning 5 national titles?

Are you seriously telling me that UND did not offer the same number of scholarships as NDSU until the scholarship limit in D2 was dropped down to 36?

Because we weren't that good?

See how we're able to look ourselves in the mirror and admit that? Can you do the same for the 1993-2009 Bison?

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2013, 09:27 AM

See how we're able to look ourselves in the mirror and admit that? Can you do the same for the 1993-2009 Bison?

For starters, I would say the 2000, 2006, and 2007 teams were pretty dang good?

NDSU football records since 1990:

1990 - 14-0
1991 - 7-3
1992 - 10-2
1993 - 7-3
1994 - 9-3
1995 - 10-3
1996 - 6-4
1997 - 9-3
1998 - 7-4
1999 - 9-2
2000 - 12-2
2001 - 7-3
2002 - 2-8
2003 - 8-3
2004 - 8-3
2005 - 7-4
2006 - 10-1
2007 - 10-1
2008 - 6-5
2009 - 3-8
2010 - 9-5
2011 - 14-1
2012 - 14-1

2 losing season since 1990...yup, the Bison sure sucked over that time... xlolx

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 09:37 AM
And how many playoff appearances in those 1993-2003 (not eligible in 04-07) did NDSU have? Just because you lost 2 or 3 games doesn't mean anything if you don't make the playoffs.

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM
And how many playoff appearances in those 1993-2003 (not eligible in 04-07) did NDSU have? Just because you lost 2 or 3 games doesn't mean anything if you don't make the playoffs.

Yes Darell...in that 10 year window, the Bison only made the playoffs 4 times. It was certainly a dark era for NDSU football. :D

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 10:04 AM
Yes Darell...in that 10 year window, the Bison only made the playoffs 4 times. It was certainly a dark era for NDSU football. :D

From 1973-1992, UND had 6 losing seasons with 3 of those from 85-89, while going 0-2 in the playoffs. I guess we were inferior during that 20 years but somehow defeated the almighty Bison 5 times, went 6-3 against Montana St, even beating Montana, UNI, Sac St, Illinois St, WIU, Portland St. So if UND had less scholarships (which they didn't), wouldn't they have gotten crushed against those other teams or are you saying Montana State had less scholarships than NDSU too.

AmsterBison
November 21st, 2013, 10:23 AM

I'm still unclear. UND was or wasn't full scholarship until D2 dropped the scholarship limit to 36? :)

Oh I'll admit it, 1993-2009 was bad by NDSU's standards. 130-60 (.680) is way below NDSU's 50-year winning percentage of .775, but I'm pretty sure that UND would take .680 and wins against FBS teams, especially if it meant they could get rid of all those 30+ point drubbings.

UNDBIZ
November 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
I'm still unclear. UND was or wasn't full scholarship until D2 dropped the scholarship limit to 36? :)

Oh I'll admit it, 1993-2009 was bad by NDSU's standards. 130-60 (.680) is way below NDSU's 50-year winning percentage of .775, but I'm pretty sure that UND would take .680 and wins against FBS teams, especially if it meant they could get rid of all those 30+ point drubbings.

My mistake, only through 2005. xslapfightx

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM

So if anyone besides NDSU won a NC in DII it's because they had less scholarships, or is that just UND? Somehow the under schollie South Dakota Coyotes snuck in there and played for a title. This discussion is stupid.

geaux_sioux
November 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Honestly the 2006 and 2007 UND teams could have beaten those NDSU teams. Why you ask? Because Dressler Chappell and Alexander had teh crazie speeeds. Seriously Chappell and Dressler would have killed you guys.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM
NDSU went from deep and dominant to beatable (and they did, indeed, lose some games), and eventually lost their edge. Why is that so hard to grasp, it's a very simple argument and seemingly easy to grasp.

What are you having trouble grasping fn? Since I said "let's concede that point" and all? It'a a very simple point that should be easily graspable. Fairly self evident that NDSU lost their edge during that period not getting why you try and use that either but whatever.

That has nothing at all to do with the point hence the concession given on it. The point is fairly simple so hang on tightly for this one I don't want ya getting lost again.

The reduction happened, NDSU had an edge at that point and when they were unable to grab the second guy they would have at those positions they were recruiting those fella's picked up elsewhere (part of the original concession again) and with those castoffs other teams were able to thrive even though NDSU at the time could not with their first choice.

So the point is maybe it had a little something to do with other factors as well. Coaching, recruiting, etc. I'm just playing the string out to the end so the argument if fully vetted.

aces1180
November 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM
Honestly the 2006 and 2007 UND teams could have beaten those NDSU teams. Why you ask? Because Dressler Chappell and Alexander had teh crazie speeeds. Seriously Chappell and Dressler would have killed you guys.

Too bad UN_ decided they didn't want to play NDSU anymore...

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 11:26 AM

That would've been some great games since UND took down UNI in 06 and crushed SUU in 07 with less scholarships, and both on the road. However NDSU did take down an FBS team, so it wouldn't be a cut and dry we win or they win.

geaux_sioux
November 21st, 2013, 11:32 AM
That would've been some great games since UND took down UNI in 06 and crushed SUU in 07 with less scholarships, and both on the road. However NDSU did take down an FBS team, so it wouldn't be a cut and dry we win or they win.
UND had 4 TOs in that game and still won 37 - 10, up 30 - 0 going into the 4th. Without injuries that team was national champion.

DJKyR0
November 21st, 2013, 11:55 AM

http://i.imgur.com/vG3or5V.jpg

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM
Back to topic, is there any confirmation Chris Kleiman is acutally interested? Any other candidate names that are being leaked?

AmsterBison
November 21st, 2013, 11:59 AM

Well, if you switch the time frame from 1993-2005 instead of 1993-2009, NDSU's winning percentage actually improves to .692 (101-45.) Not my favorite time to watch Bison football -the FargoDome folks were way too officious and made the FargoDome into a mausoleum, there was no tailgating, the teams never seemed to have "it" (or if they did, we'd run into a team with even more of "it" - I'm looking at you, Pittsburg State, you magnificent bastards), and, oh yeah, D2's regionalization scheme sucked and so did their scholarship chopping.

Point is that it is hard to fix things that aren't directly under your control. You can fire the head coach but, just like at NDSU, UND's troubles don't start and end with the head coach.

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Back to topic, is there any confirmation Chris Kleiman is acutally interested? Any other candidate names that are being leaked?

Everything said as far as specific names are all rumors. Nothing has been leaked.

BisonBohl
November 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM

LOL

Seriously if I was a UND fan (thank god im not) i wouldn't be doing much smack talk about football right now. You guys barely have a football program right now.

geaux_sioux
November 21st, 2013, 12:10 PM
LOL

Seriously if I was a UND fan (thank god im not) i wouldn't be doing much smack talk about football right now. You guys barely have a football program right now.
We also barely have better facilities than you guys in the near future.

BisonBohl
November 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM

And how is that going for you right now, winning recruiting battles with that line??? Thought so, not to mention there is NO recruiting being done right now at UND.

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM
And how is that going for you right now, winning recruiting battles with that line??? Thought so, not to mention there is NO recruiting being done right now at UND.

Be patient my friend. The new coach will get this team on the right track with the right players quicker than Muss in the football car.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM
Be patient my friend. The new coach will get this team on the right track with the right players quicker than Muss in the football car.

What is a football car?

aces1180
November 21st, 2013, 12:42 PM

LMAO...Didn't you predict that UN_ would go 9-2/8-3 this year and make the playoffs?

Your track record recently hasn't been very accurate.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM
ND fans who would you want to take over realistically? Top 5?

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 01:16 PM
What is a football car?

That helmet car they delivered the season tickets with in 30 minutes or less.

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 01:18 PM

1. Dale Lennon
2. Tim Tibesar
3-5 someone with coaching experience that isn't associated with UND.

#3-5 worked with our volleyball and men's basketball program.

geaux_sioux
November 21st, 2013, 01:26 PM
1. Dale Lennon
2. Tim Tibesar
3-5 someone with coaching experience that isn't associated with UND.

#3-5 worked with our volleyball and men's basketball program.
This is not representative of any fan other than you. Lennon is not on any list other than yours. Tibesar Caruso Bollinger Klieman and Hazelton seem to be the most popular.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 01:33 PM
This is not representative of any fan other than you. Lennon is not on any list other than yours. Tibesar Caruso Bollinger Klieman and Hazelton seem to be the most popular.
I am not sure if you can poach Lennon, 200k at SIU. Could you possibly bump him to 250k? I thought you were looking around 150k mark. At that mark you are not going to poach a top 50 FCS coach. Maybe a DC, OC or a d2 coach. What about the Fordham coach Joe Moorhead? 200k might get him to ND.

Bisonator
November 21st, 2013, 01:38 PM
That helmet car they delivered the season tickets with in 30 minutes or less.

They shouldn't have a problem doing that for awhile! :D

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM

If you would've read the question it said ND fans who would "you" want to take over. And I would want Lennon. He is a lot more qualified than Brooks Bollinger.

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM
I am not sure if you can poach Lennon, 200k at SIU. Could you possibly bump him to 250k? I thought you were looking around 150k mark. At that mark you are not going to poach a top 50 FCS coach. Maybe a DC, OC or a d2 coach. What about the Fordham coach Joe Moorhead? 200k might get him to ND.

It's 175k but that is I am sure negotiable. Plus incentives for certain benchmarks.

frozennorth
November 21st, 2013, 02:41 PM
so does YSU; alot of good thats done them.

frozennorth
November 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
What are you having trouble grasping fn? Since I said "let's concede that point" and all? It'a a very simple point that should be easily graspable. Fairly self evident that NDSU lost their edge during that period not getting why you try and use that either but whatever.

That has nothing at all to do with the point hence the concession given on it. The point is fairly simple so hang on tightly for this one I don't want ya getting lost again.

The reduction happened, NDSU had an edge at that point and when they were unable to grab the second guy they would have at those positions they were recruiting those fella's picked up elsewhere (part of the original concession again) and with those castoffs other teams were able to thrive even though NDSU at the time could not with their first choice.

So the point is maybe it had a little something to do with other factors as well. Coaching, recruiting, etc. I'm just playing the string out to the end so the argument if fully vetted.

I still don't see where you are trying to go with this.

We both agree that scholarships changes had the effect of dropping NDSU while transferring talent down, lifting them, particularly UND, up. NDSU was still thriving after that, they still took 1st 1st 3rd 1st and 2nd after the changes, but they didn't have the talent level to be a consistent title contender, and a down year became inevitable, and one happened (6-4 of all terrible records). Coach was fired and replaced by someone not as good. This probably would have happened eventually, but it would have taken longer, and with a few more top-end recruits maybe NDSU wins that title in 1992 or has the depth to survive 1996.

WeAreNorthDakota
November 21st, 2013, 03:03 PM

My overwhelming favorite would be Tim Tibesar but the timing likely won't work out unless the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs in the next few weeks. Realistically my top 5 in no particular order would be:

Caruso
Klieman
Pflugrad
Wristen
FBS coordinator none of us have heard of yet.

My favorite of those would be Wristen. He has a 54-14 record at a startup program and has 16 years of BCS level experience including time as a recruiting coordinator.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 03:13 PM
I still don't see where you are trying to go with this.

We both agree that scholarships changes had the effect of dropping NDSU while transferring talent down, lifting them, particularly UND, up. NDSU was still thriving after that, they still took 1st 1st 3rd 1st and 2nd after the changes, but they didn't have the talent level to be a consistent title contender, and a down year became inevitable, and one happened (6-4 of all terrible records). Coach was fired and replaced by someone not as good. This probably would have happened eventually, but it would have taken longer, and with a few more top-end recruits maybe NDSU wins that title in 1992 or has the depth to survive 1996.

All good then.

darell1976
November 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Here are the 18 applicants so far for the next head coach:
http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions-so-little-time/953/montana-state-defensive-coordinator-among-those-whove-applied-for-und-head-coaching-job/

Here is the full list of applicants in alphabetical order:
--Dale Carlson, (most recent job) head coach at Valparaiso.
--Jovan Dewitt, (current job) defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at Florida Atlantic.
--Nick Garrett, (current job) passing game coordinator/QBs at Western New Mexico University.
--Ryan Held, (current job) head coach at Highland Community College, Kansas.
--Robert Ianello, (current job) wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator at University of Kanasas.
--Robert Lancaster, (most recent job) defensive coordinator at Catawba College, N.C.
--Jamie Marshall, (current job) assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at Montana State.
--Alex Pateras, (current job) secondary coach at Ventura High School, Calif.
--Marcus Patton, (current job) defensive coordinator at Fairmont State University, W.Va.
--Lane Powell, (current job) assistant coach at Alcorn State University, Miss.
--Camm Richmond, (most recent job) teacher at Mechanicsburg High School, Pa.
--Robin Ross, (current job) special teams coordinator/linebackers coach at University of Wyoming.
--Nicholas Siciliano, (most recent job) offensive assistant coach with Cincinnati Bengals (also was quarterbacks coach at Ohio State from 2005-2012).
--Steven Smith, (current job) offensive coordinator at Albany State University, Ga.
--David Taynor, (current job) head coach at Urbana University, Ohio.
--Seth Wallace, (current job) defensive coordinator at Valdosta State, Ga.
--Larry Willis, (current job) radio analyst for South Carolina Sports Radio Network.
--Eric Young, (current job) head coach at New Mexico Highlands University, N.M.

frozennorth
November 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM
so the leader out of the gate would be... montana states DC?

Yotes
November 27th, 2013, 03:32 PM
so the leader out of the gate would be... montana states DC?
Or FAU's DC. Not an impressive list.

Bisonator
November 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Here are the 18 applicants so far for the next head coach:
http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions-so-little-time/953/montana-state-defensive-coordinator-among-those-whove-applied-for-und-head-coaching-job/

Here is the full list of applicants in alphabetical order:
--Dale Carlson, (most recent job) head coach at Valparaiso.
--Jovan Dewitt, (current job) defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at Florida Atlantic.
--Nick Garrett, (current job) passing game coordinator/QBs at Western New Mexico University.
--Ryan Held, (current job) head coach at Highland Community College, Kansas.
--Robert Ianello, (current job) wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator at University of Kanasas.
--Robert Lancaster, (most recent job) defensive coordinator at Catawba College, N.C.
--Jamie Marshall, (current job) assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at Montana State.
--Alex Pateras, (current job) secondary coach at Ventura High School, Calif.
--Marcus Patton, (current job) defensive coordinator at Fairmont State University, W.Va.
--Lane Powell, (current job) assistant coach at Alcorn State University, Miss.
--Camm Richmond, (most recent job) teacher at Mechanicsburg High School, Pa.
--Robin Ross, (current job) special teams coordinator/linebackers coach at University of Wyoming.
--Nicholas Siciliano, (most recent job) offensive assistant coach with Cincinnati Bengals (also was quarterbacks coach at Ohio State from 2005-2012).
--Steven Smith, (current job) offensive coordinator at Albany State University, Ga.
--David Taynor, (current job) head coach at Urbana University, Ohio.
--Seth Wallace, (current job) defensive coordinator at Valdosta State, Ga.
--Larry Willis, (current job) radio analyst for South Carolina Sports Radio Network.
--Eric Young, (current job) head coach at New Mexico Highlands University, N.M.

Why would the administration even leak this list out? xlolx

UNDBIZ
November 27th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Why would the administration even leak this list out? xlolx

Because state law requires them to when it's requested......

Notice that it was first published by a Fargo news source and not the GF Herald.

Darlinikki150
November 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not seeing a candidate w anything too awesome on the resume. Kinda a disappointment. How many more do u think they will get now that the list is out?

UNDBIZ
November 27th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I'm not seeing a candidate w anything too awesome on the resume. Kinda a disappointment. How many more do u think they will get now that the list is out?

Still another 2 weeks to apply. Not worried. Didn't even expect people of Marshall's and Dewitt's caliber to apply this early.

Any Northern Iowa fans still visiting AGS? If so, any opinions on Dewitt?

darell1976
November 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Siciliano is the only name that intrests me, or else I think it's a pretty poor list.

FargoBison
November 27th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Faison has his own short list of guys he is pursuing...this list means basically nothing.

Darlinikki150
November 27th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Siciliano is the only name that intrests me, or else I think it's a pretty poor list.

He's the only one that matches the criteria your AD said he's looking for so who knows. Im hoping for someone good for you guys, but off this list....idk

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Outside of a couple of guys the list looks pretty pathetic.

IMO, better candidates will apply.

taper
November 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Be careful hiring this one. He might back out at the last minute.

swaghook
November 27th, 2013, 07:06 PM
The HC for Valpo would fit right in up there. He comes from a school were football is a 2nd tier sport to start with and he also comes from a school where recruiting he is at a disadvantage due to a lack of schollies at UND the recruiting is at a disadvantage because there are better football programs in the area. At least he would have the bonus of schollies to recruit with compared to Valpo. xthumbsupx

centennial
November 27th, 2013, 07:34 PM
The HC for Valpo would fit right in up there. He comes from a school were football is a 2nd tier sport to start with and he also comes from a school where recruiting he is at a disadvantage due to a lack of schollies at UND the recruiting is at a disadvantage because there are better football programs in the area. At least he would have the bonus of schollies to recruit with compared to Valpo. xthumbsupx
How about the Red River high school coach? They are 5-5, something UND should aim for next year.

word
November 28th, 2013, 04:47 AM
It's a weak list, but it's early. Rocky hager is right around the corner for you guys......

word
November 28th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Cavalier won 9 man in nd this year....make some calls.

dmksioux
November 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
It's a weak list, but it's early. Rocky hager is right around the corner for you guys......

Due to North Dakota's Freedom of Information Act, I would guess many of the better applicants (currently employed) are waiting until the day or two before the deadline to turn in their applications. I believe the deadline is December 10th. My guess is Faison has a short list of guys he's considering, heck, he may already know who he's hiring, and none of them are on the list that's come out.

darell1976
December 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Another big name applied for UND's HC job..SIU's DC and former UND DC Bubba Schweigert. Also former Montana HC Robin Pflugard. 5pm today is the deadline but the job will remain open after that time until UND AD Brian Faison picks a new HC.

dewey
December 10th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Robin Pflugard is a big name applicant for the job.

Dewey

darell1976
December 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Robin Pflugard is a big name applicant for the job.

Dewey

Plus UND faces Montana St every year. That should be one advantage to hiring him.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Plus UND faces Montana St every year. That should be one advantage to hiring him.
Do you think his background could prevent him from being hired? Anyone at top of the list right now?

darell1976
December 10th, 2013, 04:39 PM
UND application listHere is the full list of applicants for the UND football job, as of Monday:
• Chris Mills, former New Mexico defensive coordinator
• Christopher Stein, Chadron State offensive coordinator
• Saga Tuitele, Cal Poly offensive coordinator
• Darrius Smith, Villanova assistant coach
• Todd Hoffner, former Minnesota State-Mankato coach
• Joe Hagins, Hamilton TigerCats safeties/defensive assistant
• Howard Feggins, Norfolk State assistant coach
• Sean Embree, coach, Serbian national football team
• Stephen Axman, coach, Vukovi Wolves
• Tony Coaxum, assistant coach, Army
• Lenny Doerfler, football camp director, Anchorage, Alaska
• Zach Shay, assistant coach, Northern Colorado
• Luis Rodriguez, graduate assistant coach, Boise State
• Mike Bath, former interim head coach, Miami of Ohio.
• Bruce Barnum, offensive coordinator, Portland State.
• Bill Bleil, assistant head coach, Iowa State
• Christopher McComas, systems integration specialist, Marshall University.
• Kevin Magouirk, former offensive coordinator, South Carolina State.
• Clyde Gregory, assistant high school coach, Lubbock, Texas
• John Klacik, former assistant coach, Miami of Ohio.
• Glen Young, defensive coordinator, Brockport (N.Y.) State College.
• David Keeney, former assistant coach, Millersville, Pa.
• Vince Okruch, former assistant coach Akron.
• Anthoney Hill, assistant coach with Colorado Ice indoor football team.
• Robin Pflugrad, offensive coordinator, Weber State, former Montana coach.
• Michael Markusson, former assistant coach at Northeast Mississippi Community College.
• Andrew Jordan, former assistant coach at Earlham (Ind.) College.
• Lawrence Cole, head coach at Wilcox Central High School, Camden, Ala.
• Bob Connelly, former assistant at Arizona State; former associate head coach UTEP; former assistant at UCLA.
• Brian Bottenfield, Client Liaison, Aetna, Plymouth, Minn.
• Lacy McBeath, teacher/coach, Neshoba County School District, Philadelphia, Miss.
• Maurice Drayton, former assistant at Southern Mississippi.
• Jake Moreland, assistant coach, Air Force.
• Robert Keys, head coach, University of Findlay, Ohio.
• Stephen Settle, football coach, Tombstone School District, Huachuca City, Ariz.
• Reginald Trotter, defensive coordinator, Missouri Western.
• Nicholas Calcutta, assistant head football coach, Delaware State.
• Kenneth Knapczyk, head coach East Ridge High School, Clermont, Fla.
• Efrain Martinez, head coach, Los Angeles Community College.
• Louis Esposito, defensive coordinator, Ferris State.
• Dale Carlson, former head coach at Valparaiso, which lost to UND this season.
• Larry Willis, South Carolina Sports Radio Network analyst.
• Robin Ross, Wyoming special teams coordinator/linebackers coach; former head coach at Western Washington.
• David Taynor, head coach at Urbana (Ohio) University.
• Nick Garrett, passing game coordinator/QBs at Western New Mexico University.
• Marcus Patton, defensive coordinator at Fairmont State University, W.Va.
• Alex Pateras, assistant coach at Ventura High School, Calif.
• Camm Richmond, last position, teacher at Mechanicsburg High School, Pa.
• Steven Smith, offensive coordinator at Albany (Ga.) State University.
• Seth Wallace, defensive coordinator at Valdosta State, Ga.
• Nicholas Siciliano, last position, offensive assistant coach with Cincinnati Bengals.
• Jamie Marshall, assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at Montana State of the Big Sky Conference.
• Robert Ianello, wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator at University of Kansas of the Big 12. He was also the interim head coach at Notre Dame in 2009.
• Eric Young, head coach at New Mexico Highlands University.
• Robert Lancaster, former defensive coordinator at Catawba College in Salisbury, N.C.
• Ryan Held, head coach at Highland Community College, Kansas.
• Lane Powell, assistant coach at Alcorn State University, Miss.
• Jovan Dewitt, defensive coordinator, Florida Atlantic, Division I FBS program.
• Douglas Madoski, head coach Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College.
• Daren Wilkinson, offensive coordinator, Colorado State-Pueblo.
• Charles Coe, offensive coordinator, Missouri Baptist.
• Michael Kelly, former head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL.
• Damian Mincey, former assistant coach at Massachusetts
• Mario Felix, running backs coach at Mid-America Nazarene.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/279957/

Per tweet from WDAZ, former South Dakota HC Ed Meierkort applied, however in 2011 his Coyotes vandalized the visting locker room of the Alerus Center after UND came from behind to beat USD for a share of the GWFC Title. He doesn't need to apply.

darell1976
December 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Do you think his background could prevent him from being hired? Anyone at top of the list right now?
Its possible. Faison just fired our Volleyball coach for a hit and run with alcohol involved, and he won us the BSC regular season title. I think anyone with "baggage" may not be hired. As for the top of the list, my guess would be Bubba, and Pflugard, but with ND's open records law the applicant may wait until the 11th hr or even after the closing time of 5pm CT to apply.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Few good names in that list..

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Its possible. Faison just fired our Volleyball coach for a hit and run with alcohol involved, and he won us the BSC regular season title. I think anyone with "baggage" may not be hired. As for the top of the list, my guess would be Bubba, and Pflugard, but with ND's open records law the applicant may wait until the 11th hr or even after the closing time of 5pm CT to apply.

I was shocked when the volleyball coach thing happen. You guys had a great year, tough way to end it.

Twentysix
December 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Sean Embree, coach, Serbian national football team

Sold. (Is this american football or soccer?)

darell1976
December 10th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I was shocked when the volleyball coach thing happen. You guys had a great year, tough way to end it.

It was shocking, and really stupid on Hardee's part. I do credit Faison for giving Hardee a warning a couple years ago saying do this again (DUI) and you're out. Hopefully a replacement is on its way as the job has not been posted, so maybe its an assistant getting promoted.

- - - Updated - - -

Sean Embree, coach, Serbian national football team

Sold. (Is this american football or soccer?)

With the way our soccer team sucks hire him for both.xlolx

slostang
December 10th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Cal Poly OC Saga Tuetele is a very good coach and an even better person. UND would be lucky to have him as a coach. It would be a big loss for Cal Poly though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Cal Poly OC Saga Tuetele is a very good coach and an even better person. UND would be lucky to have him as a coach. It would be a big loss for Cal Poly though.

IMO, he wont even get an interview...if Bubba (SIU DC) put his name in, then he is the frontrunner.

SDFS
December 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
IMO, he wont even get an interview...if Bubba (SIU DC) put his name in, then he is the frontrunner.

I guess that I am OK if it is Bubba, just wondering why not Bubba 5 years ago when the job opened. I am looking for someone from outside program.

Bisonator
December 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I kind of feel bad for Faison. That is a dumpster fire up north. xlolx

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 06:13 PM
I kind of feel bad for Faison. That is a dumpster fire up north. xlolx

Kinda agree, they have a cpl HC jobs to fill, hockey players stealing, AD needs to get control of the sitch up there before a complete melt down occurs.

nodak651
December 11th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Kinda agree, they have a cpl HC jobs to fill, hockey players stealing, AD needs to get control of the sitch up there before a complete melt down occurs.

Yeah that $4.00 taxi cab dispute was the last straw for Hak. xcrazyx

Odds are that whoever gets the job hasn't applied yet. Faison will make his decision and then the guy will put his app in.

Darlinikki150
December 11th, 2013, 01:42 AM

Odds are that whoever gets the job hasn't applied yet. Faison will make his decision and then the guy will put his app in.

I just saying its a distraction that isn't needed, we know all to well in Fargo about player issues. Its still a lot on the plate of the AD, I don't envy him.

darell1976
December 11th, 2013, 03:54 AM

Actually a losing season may be the last straw for Hak. No championship since 2000, Hak may end up like Gino Gasparini.

nodak651
December 11th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Hak has had like the 2nd or 3rd best winning percentage in all of college hockey since he took over and recruited a team that has 15 drafted players. They will make the playoffs and have a winning record again this year. He isn't going anywhere and a new coach won't do any better. Just ask Denver.

darell1976
December 11th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Hak has had like the 2nd or 3rd best winning percentage in all of college hockey since he took over and recruited a team that has 15 drafted players. They will make the playoffs and have a winning record again this year. He isn't going anywhere and a new coach won't do any better. Just ask Denver.

Gino won 3 National Titles from 1980-1987, and was let go in 1994 after 3 losing seasons. If Hak doesn't produce why pay all that money to him if there is a better coach for cheaper. (Dean Blais)

Laker
December 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM
List of 72 candidates for the UND job, including Ed Meirkort formerly of USD and Todd Hoffner from MN State-Mankato.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/280033/group/Sports/

Bisonator
December 11th, 2013, 05:50 PM
So when is Bubba being introduced?xcoffeex

citdog
December 11th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Maurice Drayton played at The Citadel and has coached there and at Coastal Carolina. A good dude

BisonBacker
December 11th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Man we can all forget about it we are all screwed for recruiting and playing in the chipper. Looks like Grand Forks and UN_ have their new head coach signed.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/280064/group/Sports/

gumby013
December 11th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Chris McComas' resume is out.

Golden!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iarqlcuvqmxgpb9/north-dakota-resume.pdf

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/12/11/5202166/sb-nation-endorses-chris-mccomas-for-north-dakota-head-coach

darell1976
December 12th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Man we can all forget about it we are all screwed for recruiting and playing in the chipper. Looks like Grand Forks and UN_ have their new head coach signed.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/280064/group/Sports/

I should have done the same thing.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Golden!

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/12/11/5202166/sb-nation-endorses-chris-mccomas-for-north-dakota-head-coach

xlolx

darell1976
December 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Golden!

I think this is how Chris Mussman got the job in 2008.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Seriously though who do you think Faison hires and when? I would think he would want to make a decision ASAP.

NDSUstudent
December 12th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Seriously though who do you think Faison hires and when? I would think he would want to make a decision ASAP.

I think he was quoted as saying he might not have a hire until after Christmas. The fans believe the person they will hire is still in the FCS playoffs.

darell1976
December 12th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Tuesday at 5pm was the deadline so it could be between now and 3 months. Dale Lennon was hired in March of 1999 after RT left in February 1999 to become the AD (according to a poster on ss.com). However, I think Faison won't wait that long due to recruiting, and getting a whole new staff. I think Pflugard, and Bubba are the top 2 (IMO).

Bisonator
December 12th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I think he was quoted as saying he might not have a hire until after Christmas. The fans believe the person they will hire is still in the FCS playoffs.

Who is that?

NDSUstudent
December 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Who is that?

Good question. They think that is the reason it is taking so long. There is also rumor that someone pulled their application who was from a high profile FCS school 70 miles south which would have been Faison's first choice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
December 12th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Good question. They think that is the reason it is taking so long. There is also rumor that someone pulled their application who was from a high profile FCS school 70 miles south which would have been Faison's first choice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Now that's some funny ****! Even their delusional fans can't buy that.xlolx

darell1976
December 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Now that's some funny ****! Even their delusional fans can't buy that.xlolx

Probably started by those experts at Bisonville.

aces1180
December 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM

The rumor came from the UN_ Sports Chat on the Grand Forks Herald site. Nice try.

NDSUstudent
December 12th, 2013, 12:12 PM

Nope but thanks for playing!

Houndawg
December 12th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Bubba Schweigert.

citdog
December 12th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Bubba Schweigert.

Bubba? Is that his given name?

aces1180
December 12th, 2013, 12:56 PM

No, it's Kyle.

citdog
December 12th, 2013, 01:04 PM
No, it's Kyle.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/8200000/Kyle-Broflovski-Wallpaper-south-park-8265743-720-556.jpg

darell1976
December 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM

Bubba was our DC in DII then Lennon took him to SIU in 2008.

centennial
December 12th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Bubba was our DC in DII then Lennon took him to SIU in 2008.
Is he the front runner?

darell1976
December 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Is he the front runner?

I would think he has to be a favorite. But it's hard to say if Faison will go with him or not. He does like to pick coaches with NO UND ties.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I would think he has to be a favorite. But it's hard to say if Faison will go with him or not. He does like to pick coaches with NO UND ties.

Bubba would be a good fit for UND.

citdog
December 12th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Bubba would be a good fit for UND.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_923ogQ0alTo/TEKRJRNNQBI/AAAAAAAAADA/qVsh7V9QsPE/s320/bubba.jpg

SDFS
December 12th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I think he is still working his network and I don't expect someone with UND ties. I don't think it will be Bubba, Bubba was available 5 years ago when Muss was hired. I would like to see Pflugrad but that is not going to happen because both parties have pissed off the NCAA - that is just inviting trouble with NCAA. I have no idea who it would be at this time. I like Plfugrad and I don't really want Dale or anyone off the SIU staff. Several days ago, one the radio stations in MSP was saying the coach from St. Thomas Glenn Caruso was going north to UND. He would not be a bad choice.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I think he is still working his network and I don't expect someone with UND ties. I don't think it will be Bubba, Bubba was available 5 years ago when Muss was hired. I would like to see Pflugrad but that is not going to happen because both parties have pissed off the NCAA - that is just inviting trouble with NCAA. I have no idea who it would be at this time. I like Plfugrad and I don't really want Dale or anyone off the SIU staff. Several days ago, one the radio stations in MSP was saying the coach from St. Thomas Glenn Caruso was going north to UND. He would not be a bad choice.

Caruso would be a very good choice. He has a pretty good gig at St. Thomas. St.Thomas could easily compete in the NSIC right now. Great support at that school.

IMO, Bubba would be a good hire because he is defensive coach. SIU has had good defenses with him. They took EIU into overtime and could have won that game. They also played the Bison tough until they ran out of gas. I think he would put together a good staff.

darell1976
December 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM
The finalists are:

Kalen DeBoer and Bubba Schweigert from Southern Illinois

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
The finalists are:

Kalen DeBoer and Bubba Schweigert from Southern Illinois

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

No surprise.

Both would make good HCs.

darell1976
December 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
No surprise.

Both would make good HCs.

There are some on the ss.com board who aren't happy, and all I have to say is don't judge until after the last game of the 2014 season to see where this program is headed. They might turn out to be good head coaches, as they say you have to start somewhere.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 18th, 2013, 05:17 PM
There are some on the ss.com board who aren't happy, and all I have to say is don't judge until after the last game of the 2014 season to see where this program is headed. They might turn out to be good head coaches, as they say you have to start somewhere.

UND needs to get its defense in order and Bubba has been a good defensive coach. UND has some really good defenses under him and SIU has been pretty good too.

DeBoer is also a good candidate but IMO, Bubba is the frontrunner.

It will be interesting what kind of offense will be run.

Bisonator
December 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM
So when is Bubba being introduced?xcoffeex

Bump.

darell1976
December 18th, 2013, 06:11 PM
UND needs to get its defense in order and Bubba has been a good defensive coach. UND has some really good defenses under him and SIU has been pretty good too.

DeBoer is also a good candidate but IMO, Bubba is the frontrunner.

It will be interesting what kind of offense will be run.

No Hardin (graduation), no Golladay (NIU) so maybe they will concentrate more on the running game and get some big hogs up front to block.

SDFS
December 18th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Great... I am so thrilled (Bubba or DeBoer) that was a great national search. Plus, these two were talked about five years ago when Muss was hired.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are you kidding... you will have a Fire Bubba or DeBoer thread started by the 7th game of the season.