PDA

View Full Version : SportsNetwork Poll: 18 Nov.

kdinva
November 18th, 2013, 12:04 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/cfoot225poll.aspx

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Hate to say it but for the 1st time all year - the TSN poll is better than the AGS poll.

Flip flop Southern Utah & Montana St (you know for things like head to head & overall records) & they pretty much nailed it.

Oh & Jax State should be higher in this one too....

McNeese75
November 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I agree Hen

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I should have also noted that I would swap SLU and Montana

Twentysix
November 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Montana is not a top 5 team, no way no how.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hate to say it but for the 1st time all year - the TSN poll is better than the AGS poll.

Flip flop Southern Utah & Montana St (you know for things like head to head & overall records) & they pretty much nailed it.

Oh & Jax State should be higher in this one too....
Disagree, what has Montana done to deserve to be ranked #5? Beat Cal Poly? App St? SELA should be at #5 and Montana should be more in the 9-12 range. I agree that MSU is also overrated. A lot of unearned Montana love in this poll.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
NAU at 10 seems a little high for one victory against a team with a winning record.

Grizalltheway
November 18th, 2013, 12:51 PM

Meh, we'll prove all the doubters and haters wrong starting next week.

TigerFen
November 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I think Southeastern Louisiana deserves to be higher and Montana State should be lower, but the rest is where they should be.

goyotes
November 18th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I have seen the Yotes play at home against Youngstown, Montana & SDSU over the last 3 Saturday's. Based just on these 3 games I would rank all 3 as pretty comparable, with maybe a slight edge to the Bunnies (as much as I hate to admit). In comparing these 3 to USD's game against NAU, which was played before USD switched QB's and on the road, I would rank all 3 ahead of the Lumberjacks.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 01:13 PM

No I think they are a little high with what we have around us I just can't see the 5 spot. About 9 or 10 and I'd think it was about right. We have a lot of unrealized potential but until we start looking like we are gonna realize it that's all it is.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I have seen the Yotes play at home against Youngstown, Montana & SDSU over the last 3 Saturday's. Based just on these 3 games I would rank all 3 as pretty comparable, with maybe a slight edge to the Bunnies (as much as I hate to admit). In comparing these 3 to USD's game against NAU, which was played before USD switched QB's and on the road, I would rank all 3 ahead of the Lumberjacks.

Depends on matchups. I saw SDSU, Griz, and Cats all in a row and SDSU was by far the worst of the three. Matchups and styles dictate how teams play vs. others. UND did not have the athletes to keep up with a fast paced offense but could hang around against a run-first team like SDSU that didn't have a very good secondary.

NAU and USD are both run-first type of teams and matchup pretty well with each other, from what I have seen.

IaaScribe
November 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
SE Louisiana, which destroyed McNeese in Lake Charles and is undefeated in the Southland, is two spots below McNeese. That's ridiculous.

Red & Black
November 18th, 2013, 01:30 PM
No I think they are a little high with what we have around us I just can't see the 5 spot. About 9 or 10 and I'd think it was about right. We have a lot of unrealized potential but until we start looking like we are gonna realize it that's all it is.

Montana obviously has the talent, but I think coaching is what will ultimately prevent the Griz from making a deep playoff run.

lionsrking2
November 18th, 2013, 01:36 PM
SE Louisiana, which destroyed McNeese in Lake Charles and is undefeated in the Southland, is two spots below McNeese. That's ridiculous.

We're also 3-1 vs the Top 25 (2-0 vs Top 10, and 2 of 3 wins coming on the road), with the loss being at South Dakota State - a game we dominated, but turned the ball over six times and had 12 penalties. I said after that game if we clean things up, we'll blow through the rest of our schedule, and we've done that ... still have a tough rivalry game with Nicholls State on Thursday.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Montana obviously has the talent, but I think coaching is what will ultimately prevent the Griz from making a deep playoff run.

We are of like mind R&B. We are just not seasoned enough in the coordinator positions to get it right consistently enough it has appeared this season. Not knocking anyone it's just a fact of life. They are getting their seasoning now and we are doing OK but we are playing below what we should be at this point. Just too green in the area of the guys making the calls right now from what I have seen.

If our fundamentals were sound I'd be much more excited about how this season is gonna end up for us but they are not.

SeattleGriz
November 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM
We are of like mind R&B. We are just not seasoned enough in the coordinator positions to get it right consistently enough it has appeared this season. Not knocking anyone it's just a fact of life. They are getting their seasoning now and we are doing OK but we are playing below what we should be at this point. Just too green in the area of the guys making the calls right now from what I have seen.

If our fundamentals were sound I'd be much more excited about how this season is gonna end up for us but they are not.

For all the guys bitchin' about Montana, I would like to see how well their team would be doing if they were also on their 3rd different coach and offensive scheme in the last five years. If that doesn't speak of the talent Montana has, I don't know what else. Now with that being said, I don't think you will meet many Montana fans that believe Montana is a top 5 team. Still a ways to go.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM
For all the guys bitchin' about Montana, I would like to see how well their team would be doing if they were also on their 3rd different coach and offensive scheme in the last five years. If that doesn't speak of the talent Montana has, I don't know what else. Now with that being said, I don't think you will meet many Montana fans that believe Montana is a top 5 team. Still a ways to go.

I don't see a lot of guys bitching about Montana or not understanding that SeaGriz? What am I missing brother?

SeattleGriz
November 18th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I don't see a lot of guys bitching about Montana or not understanding that SeaGriz? What am I missing brother?

Maybe I am overly sensitive, but that is all I have read all year long on this board, about how Montana is always overrated in the polls. Maybe I should pay attention if it is the same posters parroting over and over and making it seem as if there are more people. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Maybe I am overly sensitive, but that is all I have read all year long on this board, about how Montana is always overrated in the polls. Maybe I should pay attention if it is the same posters parroting over and over and making it seem as if there are more people. xlolx

Well I certainly don't think they have been wrong. I've thought we were slightly overrated most of the year myself. I don't get sensitive to people agreeing with me of course...until too many do then I gotta take a long hard look at myself.:D

With our resume we've been overrated. Doesn't mean we don't have the potential to be there just haven't seen us earn it so far considering what others are doing around the country.

One thing I'll give us is we don't have a bad loss but other than that...

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Disagree, what has Montana done to deserve to be ranked #5? Beat Cal Poly? App St? SELA should be at #5 and Montana should be more in the 9-12 range. I agree that MSU is also overrated. A lot of unearned Montana love in this poll.

Chaos, as hot as SELA has been lately I agree they belong at #5. As to what has Montana done, they've won 9 games and lost two. Both losses are to two top ten teams. I wouldn't place them at #5 but they should be in the mix for #6 to #10.

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Depends on matchups. I saw SDSU, Griz, and Cats all in a row and SDSU was by far the worst of the three. Matchups and styles dictate how teams play vs. others. UND did not have the athletes to keep up with a fast paced offense but could hang around against a run-first team like SDSU that didn't have a very good secondary.

NAU and USD are both run-first type of teams and matchup pretty well with each other, from what I have seen.

We were beating your ass and took the foot off the pedal. That game deflated UND and if you don't think so, go look at other threads that had such high hopes for UND before that game. Siouxsports was really after it. That game had been built up as a measuring stick by UND and they fell short. Tailspin quickly ensued.

Not taking anything away from UM and MSU. They beat your ass too.

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't see how that beats the AGS Poll

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM
We were beating your ass and took the foot off the pedal. That game deflated UND and if you don't think so, go look at other threads that had such high hopes for UND before that game. Siouxsports was really after it. That game had been built up as a measuring stick by UND and they fell short. Tailspin quickly ensued.

I watched that game as well and I've seen this said many times this year but when I was watching that game I didn't see what you guys did. SDSU is hands down a better team than UND, could easily be better than MSU and UM but that taking the foot off the gas thing was just not nearly as evident to me I guess. They came back on you and made it very interesting at the end. If your coaches let them then that's on you guys. They were connecting and exploiting you just as they did to UM the year before and that's the main reason it was close.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM

So that is why you couldn't play defense?

Go look at the scores of those three games and then you will see why SDSU was the worst of the three. You can spin it all you want but SDSU won by 7 pts and UND had the ball at midfield to try and tie it. A far cry from the other two games.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I watched that game as well and I've seen this said many times this year but when I was watching that game I didn't see what you guys did. SDSU is hands down a better team than UND, could easily be better than MSU and UM but that taking the foot off the gas thing was just not nearly as evident to me I guess. They came back on you and made it very interesting at the end. If your coaches let them then that's on you guys. They were connecting and exploiting you just as they did to UM the year before and that's the main reason it was close.

Exactly. Their coaches tried to catch UND off guard by throwing in the fourth quarter and Sumner kept misfiring, leading to punts. That is not taking your "foot off the pedal".

blueballs
November 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Chatty ahead of Samford despite the fact that Samford just defeated Chatty two days ago... uh huh.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Chaos, as hot as SELA has been lately I agree they belong at #5. As to what has Montana done, they've won 9 games and lost two. Both losses are to two top ten teams. I wouldn't place them at #5 but they should be in the mix for #6 to #10.
We're close enough to agreeing where argument is pointless. I think Montana is a very good team this year, just not top 5 good. The only team below them that I would say is definitely better than the Griz based on the results so far is SELA. I wish you guys luck in the playoffs (unless you come to Fargo). Nothing against you this week but I hope MSU beats UM so the Bobcats can make the playoffs and get a nice piece of karma with a potential 2nd round matchup against the Bison.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I hope MSU beats UM.

Your statement is just plain rude (regardless of your valid reasoning)!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Your statement is just plain rude (regardless of your valid reasoning)!

Yeah, PC just fell from one of my favorites to scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'm starting to miss MPLS after that one.

Catbooster
November 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
We're close enough to agreeing where argument is pointless. I think Montana is a very good team this year, just not top 5 good. The only team below them that I would say is definitely better than the Griz based on the results so far is SELA. I wish you guys luck in the playoffs (unless you come to Fargo). Nothing against you this week but I hope MSU beats UM so the Bobcats can make the playoffs and get a nice piece of karma with a potential 2nd round matchup against the Bison.
I agree with all of this.

I've felt like the Griz (yes, and my Bobcats) are over-rated to varying degrees all year, but when you go to fill out the poll, and start looking for exactly who will you slide in ahead of them...lots of weeks I've ended up keeping them a little higher than I would like just because no one else has been obviously better.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM

I think Montana is more of a 8-12 ranked team, also. Too many chinks in the armor this year. Certainly a good team, but not Top 5.

You guys need to get over the Montana State thing. It happens every year to many, many programs. Idaho State and Central Arkansas did it to UND in a matter of three years. Finances/wins rule these days.

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM

After the score went to 35-14 with like 8 minutes left, our DBs started playing much softer. This is from the mouth of one of our players. The player's brother is one of my best friends. That is what they were instructed to do. It was a terrible idea. By the time the coaches reverted, it was 35-28. Not cool.

If we did comparative scoring, we could tie ourselves in knots, so I won't go down that road. I'd like to play Montana again, just not in Missoula. That place is a house of horrors. I pray if we make the playoffs, we aren't sent there. Chances are that our bracket would be set up to send us to Fargo again. Also not cool.

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Double post.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I think Montana is more of a 8-12 ranked team, also. Too many chinks in the armor this year. Certainly a good team, but not Top 5.

You guys need to get over the Montana State thing. It happens every year to many, many programs. Idaho State and Central Arkansas did it to UND in a matter of three years. Finances/wins rule these days.
I am over it but I'm not going to forget it (and I hope Gene Taylor doesn't either in his future dealings with MSU). Buyouts do happen all the time but not out the blue in February. They can justify it all they want to but I'll still share a chuckle with karma if they get placed as a potential 2nd round opponent for NDSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
After the score went to 35-14 with like 8 minutes left, our DBs started playing much softer. This is from the mouth of one of our players. The player's brother is one of my best friends. That is what they were instructed to do. It was a terrible idea. By the time the coaches reverted, it was 35-28. Not cool.

If we did comparative scoring, we could tie ourselves in knots, so I won't go down that road. I'd like to play Montana again, just not in Missoula. That place is a house of horrors. I pray if we make the playoffs, we aren't sent there. Chances are that our bracket would be set up to send us to Fargo again. Also not cool.

Yes but that is what they did and it almost cost ya. It may have cost ya either way cuz the coaches certainly thought (as most would) that given the circumstances it was the appropriate course of action. I'm also not trying to do comparative scoring because it is certainly a fools game but I'm just saying that this is not really taking the foot off the pedal in my book. It's a change in strategy that affords some opportunities and takes others away just depending on how effective the passing game is at that point. They exploited a weakness that presented itself. That weakness presented itself a lot because SDSU suddenly wasn't controlling the gamewith it's offense any longer. Every team can have those bad stretches where it just isn't working.

I can understand your thinking completely on not wanting to come here. You guys have just been hard luck champions when in this place but I wouldn't see lightning striking a third time so it may be just as well for us as you guys. That would be a straight up bitch of a hard hitting contest that I'd have a tough time putting money on.xthumbsupx

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Yes but that is what they did and it almost cost ya. It may have cost ya either way cuz the coaches certainly thought (as most would) that given the circumstances it was the appropriate course of action. I'm also not trying to do comparative scoring because it is certainly a fools game but I'm just saying that this is not really taking the foot off the pedal in my book. It's a change in strategy that affords some opportunities and takes others away just depending on how effective the passing game is at that point. They exploited a weakness that presented itself. That weakness presented itself a lot because SDSU suddenly wasn't controlling the gamewith it's offense any longer. Every team can have those bad stretches where it just isn't working.

I can understand your thinking completely on not wanting to come here. You guys have just been hard luck champions when in this place but I wouldn't see lightning striking a third time so it may be just as well for us as you guys. That would be a straight up bitch of a hard hitting contest that I'd have a tough time putting money on.xthumbsupx

That's fair.

I still don't want to have them go to Missoula! I was in Lawrence in 2009 so I had to watch the game on the computer. Almost threw my computer out my window. Jesus, it's opening an old wound discussing this.

McTailGator
November 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM
TSN pol always has been better than this AGS thing.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 06:09 PM
has it

maine612
November 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM
It's been a fun ride from being picked 8th in the CAA preseason poll and not being previewed in collegesportsmadness.com top 44 before the season all the way to #4 in the country. CAA champs - the Maine Black Bears. It's been a great year.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM
It's been a fun ride from being picked 8th in the CAA preseason poll and not being previewed in collegesportsmadness.com top 44 before the season all the way to #4 in the country. CAA champs - the Maine Black Bears. It's been a great year.

It has been a great year for Maine. Congrats!
Now for the beauty of FCS, the playoffs! I love how we get to see cross country match ups each year. Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.
P.S. We need a new champ this year. xnodx

maine612
November 18th, 2013, 09:15 PM
It has been a great year for Maine. Congrats!
Now for the beauty of FCS, the playoffs! I love how we get to see cross country match ups each year. Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.
P.S. We need a new champ this year. xnodx

thanks Griz....I love Missoula....I ran the big "m" and had beers at stockman's. Liquor in the front and poker in the rear...excellent town and stadium!