PDA

View Full Version : Just throwing it out there.....

KiddBrewer
October 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM
If Appalachian State and New Hampshire both go undefeated the rest of the year, does New Hampshire get the #1 seed? Do you think yes, its a "no-brainer" or, maybe not?

KiddBrewer
October 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM
and this is hypothetical, no need to turn it into a smack thread.

dbackjon
October 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
UNH would get the #1 seed, IMHO. They are undefeated, and did beat a I-A foe.

GannonFan
October 9th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I think they do, but in reality, there is little difference between being a #1 seed or a #2 seed, just what set of uniforms you get to wear if you make it to Chatty and play the other team.

griz37
October 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM
What about Montana? If the Griz run the table along w/App. St. who would get the #2 seed?

HiHiYikas
October 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
If Appalachian State and New Hampshire both go undefeated the rest of the year, does New Hampshire get the #1 seed? Do you think yes, its a "no-brainer" or, maybe not?
I'd give it to New Hampshire for certain, for the reasons listed above, and the fact that they have a tougher conference schedule.

What about Montana? If the Griz run the table along w/App. St. who would get the #2 seed?
Yeah, that's a better question. You'd like to see the best possible teams playing opposite one another towards the championship.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Currently Montana has the edge in the GPI and ASU in the polls, so its somewhat of a toss up. Honestly, I would think it would depend how they played down the stretch, close wins, big wins, etc.

MYTAPPY
October 9th, 2006, 01:55 PM
The better question is what happens if the Griz,UNH, and App all finsih with one loss. Who gets the number one seed then??

walliver
October 9th, 2006, 01:55 PM
If Charleston Southern finishes undefeated, would they get the #16 seed?:D

The conference seasons are just getting underway, and UNH, AppState, and Montana have a lot of football to play. Right now, though, it's hard to see anyone passing UNH for the #1 seed unless UNH stumbles, or has a number of close calls.

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM
The better question is what happens if the Griz,UNH, and App all finsih with one loss. Who gets the number one seed then??

Would depend on when UNH loses and to who and by how much. For example if they lose to UMass by 1 point, I would think thy wouldnt be #1 seed, but surely if there only loss all year is by 1 point to a tough Mass team they could certainly be right there for the #2 seed, assuming Mass doesnt go undefeated in A-10 and get the auto bid.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 01:59 PM

In that case, we are looking at a similar situation as the BCS, as much as I hate to say it, its better to lose early than later

MYTAPPY
October 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
In that case, we are looking at a similar situation as the BCS, as much as I hate to say it, its better to lose early than later

I would hope that App would get the #1 seed(if it came down that the top 3 all end up with one loss) since App was preseason #1. But I don't think that would make a difference in the final seedings.

blur2005
October 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM
If UNH wins out, it certainly should garner the number 1 seed, considering it beat a Big Ten team.

Montana/App St for number 2 is tough.

KiddBrewer
October 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM
If App keeps up the trend of score 40+ a game, I cant see them dropping them to a 3 seed, if App and Montana both win out. Do you think they would look at...
Iowa 41
Montana 7

and

NC State 23
Appalachian 10

...when they were making the decision?

MplsBison
October 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM
there is little difference between being a #1 seed or a #2 seed, just what set of uniforms you get to wear if you make it to Chatty and play the other team.

Well, it also determines who you have to play.

I think, hypothetically, the 1 seed has an "easier" route to Chattanooga.

KiddBrewer
October 9th, 2006, 04:24 PM
i think the second and third seeds are more important. i sure as hell know that if app were a 2 seed and montana was the 3 seed, that i would rather have montana make the trip here than the other way around, if they ended up playing each other.

psc2445
October 9th, 2006, 04:24 PM
how does home attendance and venue figure into the equation? I dont think it should matter but hasn't it happened in past? any thoughts? i know it is not bcs but as always $ talks.

KiddBrewer
October 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I dont think that would make a difference in terms of whether Appalachian or Montana was the number 2 seed. App may lead the country in attendance, but Montana can pack in just as many. I do know tho, I would much rather have App a 2 seed than a 3, because if it came down to it, i sure as hell would rather Montana have to travel here than the other way around.

psc2445
October 9th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I dont think that would make a difference in terms of whether Appalachian or Montana was the number 2 seed. App may lead the country in attendance, but Montana can pack in just as many. I do know tho, I would much rather have App a 2 seed than a 3, because if it came down to it, i sure as hell would rather Montana have to travel here than the other way around.

that was a fun environment to play in 2000, but you're right they need to come this way this time. I enjoyed everything about UM except that frozen slab of concrete they called grass(miserable footing for us to adjust to) and of course the outcome too

Cap'n Cat
October 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Both those teams can still stumble. It's much too early to talk this stuff.

KiddBrewer
October 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I know, like i said, completely hypothetical, just for ****s and giggles.

October 9th, 2006, 06:17 PM
If Appalachian State and New Hampshire both go undefeated the rest of the year, does New Hampshire get the #1 seed? Do you think yes, its a "no-brainer" or, maybe not?no-brainer...
11-0 UNH gets the #1 seed over 10-1 ASU.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I don't care as long as no trips to UNH are involved. :D

AZGrizFan
October 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM
If App keeps up the trend of score 40+ a game, I cant see them dropping them to a 3 seed, if App and Montana both win out. Do you think they would look at...
Iowa 41
Montana 7

and

NC State 23
Appalachian 10

...when they were making the decision?

I hope not, since Iowa would roll over NC State. :twocents: :twocents:

AZGrizFan
October 10th, 2006, 01:10 AM

If this happens, Griz & App are fighting over #1, since it means UNH's loss would have them slipping in the polls.

KiddBrewer
October 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM
thanks for your 4 cents, and its probably right, but if "if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a marry Christmas"....I guess we'll never know, i really dont care, but if things do fall in place and we win out, i hope we dont have to go to Montana cause, im pretty sure i aint got the funds to make that trip.

Mr. C
October 10th, 2006, 01:12 AM
The fact that Appalachian State is the defending champion would almost certainly give the Mountaineers the No. 2 seed at least, if they win out and finish 10-1. I'm still not sure what to think of Montana until the Griz wins a few more games (even though I have them ranked No. 3 right now). I'm waiting for that early November meeting with Cal Poly. New Hampshire still has games with JMU and UMass as tough ones on its schedule. If UNH struggles to beat JMU, ASU could get the No. 1 over UNH on the basis of a bigger win over the Dukes.

umassfan
October 10th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Now this is a big IF... but if UMass finishes 10-1 with our one loss being to Navy by 1... would we get a top 2 seed if Montana, App St and another team finishes with just 1 loss?

AZGrizFan
October 10th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Now this is a big IF... but if UMass finishes 10-1 with our one loss being to Navy by 1... would we get a top 2 seed if Montana, App St and another team finishes with just 1 loss?

See, therein lies the problem. You'd have a very valid argument for a #1 seed at that point. There are a WHOLE lot of scenarios where we could have 5-6 1 loss teams, all with viable claims for a #1 seed. God help the selection committee if THAT happens.

ASU Kep
October 10th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Who wants the #1 seed? There really isn't any benefit. I hope UNH gets it and we come in at #2. Same homefield advantage throughout, and extra motivation should we happen to see the #1 in Chat-town. Take it.

...we did pretty good last year with a #2.

October 10th, 2006, 03:42 AM
get the seed... just win... sweat forms on the brow... :nod:

dbackjon
October 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM

For UMass to do that, that would mean you would have beaten UNH @ UNH - i.e. a HUGE win. In that case, UMass would have just as legitimate claim to a number one seed as anyone else.

And what about Illinois State? If they go through the Gateway undefeated, which is the toughest conference to do so this year, IMHO, they would be 10-1, with a 1 point loss to Kansas State......

Black and Gold Express
October 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I think they do, but in reality, there is little difference between being a #1 seed or a #2 seed, just what set of uniforms you get to wear if you make it to Chatty and play the other team.

That's not true. Last year we wore our road uniforms even though we were the lone seeded team in the finals. Uniforms were detemined by a coinflip, so I was told.

And I really don't care if we are #1 or #2, as long as we get 3 games at The Rock.