PDA

View Full Version : The OVC Week 12/Week 13

Skyhawk71
November 17th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Week 12: EIU 52 JSU 14; TSU 17 MSU 10; UTM 16 EKU 7; SEMO 36 APSU 34

Eastern Illinois 7-0 (10-1) Back to Back OVC Champions
Tennessee State 6-2 (9-3) will an *8-3 Tennessee State be left out for the second year in a row; although they are not the same team as early and mid-season and depending on the draw could get blown off the field
Tennessee-Martin 5-2 (7-4) outside shot if the 'Hawks can beat EIU.......xnutsx
Jacksonville State 4-3 (8-3) can still go 9-3 (8-3) should they get in after losing to TSU, will the committee see them as a better team at this point
Eastern Kentucky 4-3 (6-5)
Murray State 3-4 (5-6)
Southeast Missouri 2-5 (3-8)
Tennessee Tech 1-6 (4-7)
Austin Peay 0-7 (0-11)

The once powerful Big 3 (EIU,JSU,EKU) may have become the Big One, and four decent teams that can beat each other on a given Saturday; other than EIU it has been business as usual in the OVC, knowing that much of it is depth and key players hurt on given weeks; I wonder how much a twelve game schedule causes problems with the given number of scholarships

Week 13
Eastern Illinois @ Tennessee-Martin: EIU is still EIU, UTM has a record of 5-2 vs. EIU in the Simpson Era; EIU gets revenge from last years blow out in Martin......in a big way
Southeast Missouri @ Jacksonville State: Early on SEMO looked decent in the bottom tier, they have not as of late; JSU big- finish 9-3 and wait on Sunday
Eastern Kentucky @ Murray State: having seen both teams, and MSU offense struggling with UTM and TSU, EKU has the defense to stop MSU- could be a good game, but that's on MSU D
Austin Peay @ Tennessee Tech: last year this was the battle for the 9th spot, APSU upset Tech the week after the Eagles upset UTM- Tech gets revenge in Cookeville

Please share your thoughts OVC gang, we are few.........but we all have opinions............

Cocky
November 17th, 2013, 09:06 AM
EIU is the big one this year. No one close in the OVC.

Skyhawk71
November 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
EIU is the big one this year. No one close in the OVC.

Absolutely agree, but the other conferences get a pass when one of them is blown out by the big dog team, do you think that their domination of the conference will limit the OVC to the auto-bid only in the playoffs?

TTUEagles
November 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM
With the field now @ 24, I'd say it's a pretty good bet to say the OVC gets 2 teams in, the big question is will the at-large be TSU or Jacksonville State? TSU folks (via the local talksows/newspapers) are pretty confident they'll be the one, but I'm not so sure. Even though TSU beat JSU, the blowouts with EKU might be the difference. ?

Humble Steward
November 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM
With the field now @ 24, I'd say it's a pretty good bet to say the OVC gets 2 teams in, the big question is will the at-large be TSU or Jacksonville State? TSU folks (via the local talksows/newspapers) are pretty confident they'll be the one, but I'm not so sure. Even though TSU beat JSU, the blowouts with EKU might be the difference. ?

The head to head victory of TSU over JSU weighs big. I believe TSU will get the nod because they beat JSU when it counted.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Don't see how JSU could get in ahead of TSU. Their best win is against UT-Martin, who TSU also beat, and TSU soundly defeated JSU @ JSU. Same conference, same number of D-I wins (all this assuming JSU wins next week of course). Looks fairly straightforward.

TTUEagles
November 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm just throwing it out there that you cannot ignore the fact that late in the season, TSU is blown out by a mediocre EKU who, in turn, gets defeated much WORSE the next week by Jacksonville State. The head to head matters, OF COURSE, but I would think it's not as cut-and-dry as one might think.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I'm just throwing it out there that you cannot ignore the fact that late in the season, TSU is blown out by a mediocre EKU who, in turn, gets defeated much WORSE the next week by Jacksonville State. The head to head matters, OF COURSE, but I would think it's not as cut-and-dry as one might think.

I would agree. I think TSU played their best football weeks ago. They were a different team when they beat Jax earlier in the year. If a second OVC team get's in I think it is Jax even with 1 of their wins coming against TUNA. Unfortunately, I fear that the beatings that EIU is handing out may work against the OVC. In a field of 24, we may only see 1 OVC team make the field. Over the last 3 weeks I've seen all 3 of the possible OVC 2nd bid teams in person. While Jax was absolutely unstoppable for the 60 minutes I saw, I'm not sure any of these 3 teams can survive week 1 without a favorable draw. And by the time EIU has their way with Martin next week (not taking anything away from UTM, EIU has done it to everyone), we may never know as the OVC could be a 1 bid conference again this year.

skyhawks84
November 17th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Well, well, well, how quickly people forget history. Seems like I remember EIU losing last season in Martin. Seems like there is one OVC team Dino and his stud QB has NEVER beaten. Let the game be played I have no doubt in my Skyhawks next weekend we are going to throw everything at them and leave it all out on the field. That stadium is going to be rocking and I hope we shock the world.

PanthersBlue
November 17th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Well, well, well, how quickly people forget history. Seems like I remember EIU losing last season in Martin. Seems like there is one OVC team Dino and his stud QB has NEVER beaten. Let the game be played I have no doubt in my Skyhawks next weekend we are going to throw everything at them and leave it all out on the field. That stadium is going to be rocking and I hope we shock the world.

I really hope Martin gives them everything. Last chance for EIU to stay sharp heading into the postseason.

skyhawks84
November 17th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Hey PanthersBlue hope you guys bring a crowd always adds to the atmosphere when the other team brings a crowd.

roknows50
November 17th, 2013, 11:55 PM

A lot of bracketologist(if that is a word) are saying we will make it in.

I hope we do. I whole team should be back from injury. Against EKU, we had 8 starters out. This is also a different team with German at QB. The games we lost, German didn't play.

He would have made a huge difference.

TTUEagles
November 18th, 2013, 11:43 AM
A lot of bracketologist(if that is a word) are saying we will make it in.

I hope we do. I whole team should be back from injury. Against EKU, we had 8 starters out. This is also a different team with German at QB. The games we lost, German didn't play.

He would have made a huge difference.

That's a good point about German... TSU also has been great defensively, except @ EKU, and that bodes well for cold weather games...

Bigblue2013
November 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Something people don't realize, TSU won both against UTM and JSU on the road. Plus TSU played 12 straight games, with no bye, so of course they are gonna be banged up, 8 starters not playing against EKU. Sucks they lost to EKU. Shouldn't hurt them from going to the playoffs. They have 3 loses, one to the OVC champion, and lost to the MEAC champion by a field goal first game of the year. Great season, should be rewarded with post season.

Skyhawk71
November 19th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Something people don't realize, TSU won both against UTM and JSU on the road. Plus TSU played 12 straight games, with no bye, so of course they are gonna be banged up, 8 starters not playing against EKU. Sucks they lost to EKU. Shouldn't hurt them from going to the playoffs. They have 3 loses, one to the OVC champion, and lost to the MEAC champion by a field goal first game of the year. Great season, should be rewarded with post season.

Solid first post, welcome Bigblue2013- we are looking for a few more of the OVC gang around here- when you leave the peaceful OVC thread just know you will be called a "Novemberist"- Good Luck to the Tigers, I just hope they get everybody back the next two weeks...........when playoffs start we all pull for the OVC, and we HAVE to get wins this season!!!!!

Skyhawk71
November 19th, 2013, 02:52 PM
OVC Ball- Down the Home Stretch- as usual pretty good insight:

http://ovcball.net/2013/11/10-things-we-learned-in-week-12/

colonelblitz
November 22nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
I think TSU should be the second team in from the OVC.. also German would have made our game with them interesting.. But then again , we have been missing several key starters all year.. along with 5-7 injuries almost every game.. TSU got whooped just like we did against JSU. I hope EIU win out and wins it all..

Cocky
November 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Understand the TSU argument but if their QB being out counts shouldn't our being injured count? Our QB was injured during the TSU game.

colonelblitz
November 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Understand the TSU argument but if their QB being out counts shouldn't our being injured count? Our QB was injured during the TSU game. You played 2 against us. Both of which were better than ours.. My point was on that Saturday German would not have made little difference. As much as I like JSU , I'm sticking with TSU as the second team in, which I believe will happen. I will cheer for any team from the OVC in win in the playoffs. If the timing is right, I may even go to a game.

PanthersBlue
November 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
I don't think UTM was expecting this kind of whooping.

colonelblitz
November 23rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
I don't think UTM was expecting this kind of whooping.

I was...xbowx

Cocky
November 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
You played 2 against us. Both of which were better than ours.. My point was on that Saturday German would not have made little difference. As much as I like JSU , I'm sticking with TSU as the second team in, which I believe will happen. I will cheer for any team from the OVC in win in the playoffs. If the timing is right, I may even go to a game.

Head to head is hard to beat. I believe the conference deserves 3.

colonelblitz
November 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
Head to head is hard to beat. I believe the conference deserves 3. bump !!

dgtw
November 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
Our OT loss to Murray at home will be to blame for us staying home more than the TSU game.