PDA

View Full Version : Predicting the Big Sky Playoff Contenders

dudeitsaid
November 17th, 2013, 01:40 AM
When considering the potential Big Sky representatives in the playoffs this year, who do you think will be there? Obviously, there is one more game to play, and that will clarify a lot, but it's always fun to toss around the "what if's."

EWU is in, regardless of what happens next week. Obviously, I hope they are focused, play hard, and win, as having a high seed and home field throughout the playoffs would be huge.

NAU is in, regardless of what happens next week. They already have 8 FCS wins, and a signature win against UM.

UM is likely in, regardless of what happens next week. They already have 8 FCS wins, though no real signature win. But they are Montana, and that name goes a long way!

SUU is in with a win. A win next week would give them an 7th FCS win, plus an FBS win. The FBS win, plus wins to end the season against MSU and NAU would look impressive to the selection committee. However, a loss to end the season could put them in a precarious position, with only 7 FCS or better wins, particularly if MSU also loses, diminishing the luster of that win significantly. Would the South Alabama and MSU wins be enough to boost them in?

MSU two weeks ago looked like a team that could earn a seed. If they lose to UM, they are out of the playoffs altogether, not reaching the minimum (I know it's not a rule) 7 FCS or better wins. Even with a win over UM, they would have only 7 FCS wins, but would have signature wins over UM and NAU.

EWU, NAU, and UM are in as we speak, IMO. If SUU wins, MSU will sit on the sidelines, even if they beat UM.

If MSU wins and SUU loses, do either of them make the field? If you had to choose one of the two, which would it be? SUU beat MSU, but would have a loss to end the season. MSU would have a solid win over UM to end the season. Thoughts?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 01:44 AM
- EWU lock for the #2 seed
- NAU earns the #8 seed with a win over SUU
- Montana beats MSU and gets a first round home game against SDSU
- SUU loses to NAU and they're out
- Montana State loses to Montana and are done....

JSUBison
November 17th, 2013, 11:49 AM
When considering the potential Big Sky representatives in the playoffs this year, who do you think will be there? Obviously, there is one more game to play, and that will clarify a lot, but it's always fun to toss around the "what if's."

EWU is in, regardless of what happens next week. Obviously, I hope they are focused, play hard, and win, as having a high seed and home field throughout the playoffs would be huge.

NAU is in, regardless of what happens next week. They already have 8 FCS wins, and a signature win against UM.

UM is likely in, regardless of what happens next week. They already have 8 FCS wins, though no real signature win. But they are Montana, and that name goes a long way!

SUU is in with a win. A win next week would give them an 7th FCS win, plus an FBS win. The FBS win, plus wins to end the season against MSU and NAU would look impressive to the selection committee. However, a loss to end the season could put them in a precarious position, with only 7 FCS or better wins, particularly if MSU also loses, diminishing the luster of that win significantly. Would the South Alabama and MSU wins be enough to boost them in?

MSU two weeks ago looked like a team that could earn a seed. If they lose to UM, they are out of the playoffs altogether, not reaching the minimum (I know it's not a rule) 7 FCS or better wins. Even with a win over UM, they would have only 7 FCS wins, but would have signature wins over UM and NAU.

EWU, NAU, and UM are in as we speak, IMO. If SUU wins, MSU will sit on the sidelines, even if they beat UM.

If MSU wins and SUU loses, do either of them make the field? If you had to choose one of the two, which would it be? SUU beat MSU, but would have a loss to end the season. MSU would have a solid win over UM to end the season. Thoughts?

Pretty much nailed it. I have a feeling there are going to be some very anxious players across the nation on selection Saturday. I think the national playoff picture may be quite cloudy if we get a few more upsets next week, putting even more teams on the bubble. Who will be Woofed? The suspense is terrible, I hope it will last.

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 12:01 PM
If MSU and and SUU win, it's gonna be really hard not put all 5 in. The two weakest resume's at that point would be Montana and NAU.

thebootfitter
November 17th, 2013, 01:10 PM
If MSU and and SUU win, it's gonna be really hard not put all 5 in. The two weakest resume's at that point would be Montana and NAU.
No matter how hard it might be, I don't see it happening. The Big Sky just isn't strong enough to justify five teams this year. Three is likely. Four is conceivable. Five verges on ludicrous.

hebmskebm
November 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM
- EWU lock for the #2 seed

If by #2 you mean #3 I agree! But EIU will be the 2 seed.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Yep, I think most likely #3 for EWU, or possivly even #4. But definitely hoping for the #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 01:46 PM
No matter how hard it might be, I don't see it happening. The Big Sky just isn't strong enough to justify five teams this year. Three is likely. Four is conceivable. Five verges on ludicrous.

Who do you throw out then? Who gets the nod ahead of them? Are you gonna put a 9-3 TSU in over a 9-3 Montana or an 8-3 NAU? Are you going to put a 9-3 Montana in over a 8-4 MSU who just beat them? Are you going to put both in over a 9-3 SUU with an FBS win and signature wins over MSU and NAU? I

I'm not saying you'll see all 5 in, but it's gonna be tough picking who to exclude if that scenario were to play out.

As for the conference, you already have 4 teams with at least 8 wins. You have 5 teams ranked, including one in the top 5. Not to mention decent teams in the middle of the pack in Sac, Poly, and PSU who have their warts but also some talent. Kind of reminds me of 2010 when the same thing was said this time year about how week the Big Fluffy was. EWU won a bunch of really tight games against supposedly week BSC competition and was over-rated...

I think you could make a case that this is one of the stronger years for the conference.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Agree.

EIU will be a #2 before EWU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I think three are in right now:

EWU
NAU
Montana

SUU needs to win this week to get in.
Montana State needs to beat the Griz to get in.

Big Sky could get 5 in.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Agree.

EIU will be a #2 before EWU.

Maine may also seed higher than EWU. EWU is the 3 or 4 imo.

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM

I think Maine gets the #3 and EWU #4.

IBleedYellow
November 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Yep, I think most likely #3 for EWU, or possivly even #4. But definitely hoping for the #3.

If they are #3 that means they come through the Fargodome.

Hell yes.

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Might be true but we should be the two. Tougher schedule than both, equal FBS win to EIU's, better FBS win than Maine's, same amount of wins against FCS top 25.

Bisonwinagn
November 17th, 2013, 02:08 PM

People need to stop looking at conferences and saying only X number of teams should get in. Number of teams from a conference is not considered. All of these teams will be put into a pool with all the other teams across the country and the most qualified teams will get in. If that means 5 from the Big Sky so be it. However, I think the games next weekend will decide most everything anyway.

Bisonwinagn
November 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM
EWU has a loss EIU doesn't.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2013, 02:19 PM

You're correct. I had them as the 3 seed in the other threads.

I think their wins and schedule will put them over Maine. The selection committee has loved teams with EWU's profile in the past.

kalm
November 17th, 2013, 02:36 PM
EWU has a loss EIU doesn't.

EWU has two losses, EIU has one. Also, EIU still plays in the OVC. Name a signature win out of the rest of that conference.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
EWU has two losses, EIU has one. Also, EIU still plays in the OVC. Name a signature win out of the rest of that conference.

You have a legitimate arguement, but I still see EWU being seeded #4.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
If they are #3 that means they come through the Fargodome.

Hell yes.

Aren't the #2 and #3 seeds on the same side if the bracket, with the #4 seed on the #1 side? If so, they would not be coming to Fargo.

Red & Black
November 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
You have a legitimate arguement, but I still see EWU being seeded #4.

It's hard to make an argument against EIU getting the #2 seed based on their record and big win over San Diego State. That said, I am very skeptical of the OVC.

Grizzlies82
November 17th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Aren't the #2 and #3 seeds on the same side if the bracket, with the #4 seed on the #1 side? If so, they would not be coming to Fargo.

You are correct. The #2 & #3 are on the same side, #4 seed potentially matches up against the #1.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM
EWU and Montana get seeds, SUU beats NAU to grab a spot, and MSU gets to stay home for Thanksgiving.xtwocentsx