PDA

View Full Version : The Final Battle for the Old Mountain Jug

T-Dog
November 16th, 2013, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6-5RMIPKU

This is it. The biggest game in the history of the rivalry. Winner keeps the jug forever.

theasushow
November 16th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I think that even after ASU moves up, there would still be a strong possibilty that they would play WCU on occasion.

ThompsonThe
November 17th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Most Catamount fans insist they will never do a play for pay game in Boone, so maybe never is accurate.

T-Dog
November 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Even if the teams play in the future, it won't be for the Jug. Winner this year keeps it forever...or until Western moves to FBS.

So basically forever.

Here's an article with quotes from many former App and WCU players about the end. http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/colleges/death-of-a-rivalry-former-appalachian-state-western-carolina-players-weigh-in-on-the-possibility-1.236463?page=0

theasushow
November 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Lmao former WCU QB Justin Clark said he thinks it's time for WCU to look at moving up to FBS.

pike51
November 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Lmao former WCU QB Justin Clark said he thinks it's time for WCU to look at moving up to FBS.

As crazy as that sounds, Western could only benefit from a move up. Granted there would be a lot of work to do, but there isn't any reason they couldn't do it if they really wanted to. I think I'd see an ETSU move first though.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 18th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Best of luck to Western, but it seems like App has it together now.

Apphole
November 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Not a rivalry. Beat them badly and give them the jug anyway as a reminder of who their daddy is.

SpeedkingATL
November 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I expect with the relationships between the current coaching staffs and Cobb knowing the WCU coaches, that there will be some opportunities for WCU to play at The Rock in the future. Most Sun Belt schools still schedule one FCS to fill their home schedules and it will be no different for App, especially the first few years in FBS. As much as App fans talk about the difficulty in getting games with in-state FBS like UNC, NCSU, Wake, Duke and ECU, it would seem hypocritical for App not to consider the occasional home game against WCU.

AshevilleApp2
November 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Not a rivalry. Beat them badly and give them the jug anyway as a reminder of who their daddy is.

Classy to the end.

walliver
November 18th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I expect with the relationships between the current coaching staffs and Cobb knowing the WCU coaches, that there will be some opportunities for WCU to play at The Rock in the future. Most Sun Belt schools still schedule one FCS to fill their home schedules and it will be no different for App, especially the first few years in FBS. As much as App fans talk about the difficulty in getting games with in-state FBS like UNC, NCSU, Wake, Duke and ECU, it would seem hypocritical for App not to consider the occasional home game against WCU.
Forever is a long time, and things may change, but I don't think it likely WCU will play at Boone

1) The cats can get paid better playing SEC and ACC schools
2) A once-rival now playing at a different level brings emotional baggage.
I suspect ASU's future FCS games will come from the OVC and Big South. I also suspected the same for GSU, but the Citadel inexplicably chose to go the 'Boro for a pittance, so I may be wrong.

catamount man
November 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM

And when UL-Lafayette is giving yosef the Ned Beatty treatment from 2014 until the end of time, I'm gonna LMAO at you sir. Bottom line, there's no need for you on this board after this coming Saturday's game is over.

catamount man
November 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Forever is a long time, and things may change, but I don't think it likely WCU will play at Boone

1) The cats can get paid better playing SEC and ACC schools
2) A once-rival now playing at a different level brings emotional baggage.
I suspect ASU's future FCS games will come from the OVC and Big South. I also suspected the same for GSU, but the Citadel inexplicably chose to go the 'Boro for a pittance, so I may be wrong.

I know WCU alums/$$$ boosters who are already planning to quit giving if our AD schedules App for Boone games only.

pike51
November 18th, 2013, 01:34 PM

You're an asshole. I wouldn't expect anything less. And quite frankly, I love this idea! :)

pike51
November 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
And when UL-Lafayette is giving yosef the Ned Beatty treatment from 2014 until the end of time, I'm gonna LMAO at you sir. Bottom line, there's no need for you on this board after this coming Saturday's game is over.

Of course there is a need... there's always room for people to make fun of Chattownmocs!

AshevilleApp2
November 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Of course there is a need... there's always room for people to make fun of Chattownmocs!

They're the same person.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 18th, 2013, 01:59 PM
ya, cant imagine we wont play WCU again, in fact, wouldn't surprise me if we played them once every 3 years or so, one thing for certain, will not be making the trip to Callowee ever again.

T-Dog
November 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM
ya, cant imagine we wont play WCU again, in fact, wouldn't surprise me if we played them once every 3 years or so, one thing for certain, will not be making the trip to Callowee ever again.

Because their boosters will revolt if they schedule money games with us. Plus they need to schedule big conference games with big payouts, more than we're willing to pay.

T-Dog
November 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM
There's no way around it. App State has to win this game. Having the Jug indefinitely would erase a lot of the 18-58-1 (6-32 in the Jug Era) record against App State.

citdog
November 18th, 2013, 04:14 PM
would love to see yusef go down, see ned beatty, one more time!

Apphole
November 18th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Classy to the end.

Why because I won't blow smoke up the arse of the faux rival on the message board? xlolx

I'm one of the most cordial fans you will ever meet IRL.

Apphole
November 18th, 2013, 05:37 PM
there's no need for you on this board after this coming Saturday's game is over.

Can't get rid of me that easily, kitty. I'm here to support my NCCU Eagles as well.

Apphole
November 18th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I know WCU alums/$$$ boosters who are already planning to quit giving if our AD schedules App for Boone games only.

Explain this to me please. Does the thought of playing a unilateral game in Boone really sting more than the overall W/L record against App? What's the thought process?

ThompsonThe
November 18th, 2013, 07:19 PM
While VMI and Mercer give it to the Cats!

No one is asking you guys to come to Boone. Don't invite yourself back.

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM
would love to see yusef go down, see ned beatty, one more time!

Wrong state, citpup...wrong state. The "Deliverance" jabs continue to be some of your weakest work. You're better than this!

T-Dog
November 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Plus, Deliverance was filmed in North Georgia and near Sylva, NC, which is the town right next to Western Carolina.

The Cats
November 19th, 2013, 12:25 PM
No one is asking you guys to come to Boone. Don't invite yourself back.

Saturday is the last time we come to Boone, period. We have no interest in inviting ourselves back, or in an invite from you to come back.

No doubt we'll still see each other in basketball, baseball, etc., but it's over for football, win or lose.

The Cats
November 19th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Plus, Deliverance was filmed in North Georgia and near Sylva, NC, which is the town right next to Western Carolina.

No part of Deliverance was filmed anywhere near Sylva, NC.

Deliverance was shot in the Tallulah Gorge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallulah_Gorge) southeast of Clayton, Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton,_Georgia) and on the Chattooga River (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattooga_River), which divides the northeastern corner of the state of Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)) from the northwestern corner of the state of South Carolina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina).

But, parts of Thunder Road was.

Apphole
November 19th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Saturday is the last time we come to Boone, period. We have no interest in inviting ourselves back, or in an invite from you to come back.

No doubt we'll still see each other in basketball, baseball, etc., but it's over for football, win or lose.
Still waiting on an explanation.

Is it just bitterness and an attempt to avoid conceding subordination?

The Cats
November 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Still waiting on an explanation.

Is it just bitterness and an attempt to avoid conceding subordination?

I think it's just the arrogance on your part that would lead you to believe we'd want to come back to boone. Why would we want to?

ASU will have 85 scholarships starting next year, WCU will have 63. With the difficulty we've had beating ASU with equal scholarships, it would be sheer idiotic on our part to want to come back to boone under those circumstances.

Good Luck to ASU In the Sun Belt. You will not be missed by WCU fans as much as you think you will, the sun will still rise, and SoCon football will continue with Mercer, ETSU, and VMI.

After this weekend, either WCU or ASU will have the Jug permanently, that will settle it for good. Will it change the record books if WCU wins, yes, but only by one game.

So Apphole, enjoy yourself with however much joy you get from looking down on WCU because of ASU's football record against WCU, of which you never played a single down of for ASU. You're mighty proud and arrogant from other's accomplishments.

Apphole
November 19th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I guess I'll interpret that response as a 'yes' to my question.

Is this a consensus? Does every WCU alum threaten to pull funding if Western ever schedules a game in Boone? It seems pretty petty. I would certainly hope that at least a few WCU fans are more level-headed.

DP_ASU
November 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM
So Apphole, enjoy yourself with however much joy you get from looking down on WCU because of ASU's football record against WCU, of which you never played a single down of for ASU. You're mighty proud and arrogant from other's accomplishments.

Calm down Drama Queen...xlolx

AshevilleApp2
November 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Why because I won't blow smoke up the arse of the faux rival on the message board? xlolx

I'm one of the most cordial fans you will ever meet IRL.

No. It's because you've whined about needing to leave for years, talking down about a Conference and fellow institutions that we have been privileged to be associated with. Then when you got your wish, you act like a snarky little punk about it. Take a hint and hit the road.

And by the way I did meet you last year in Boone. You were pretty hammered, so the conversation didn't last long. You need to move to Hollywood you narcissistic pup.

Apphole
November 19th, 2013, 03:09 PM
No. It's because you've whined about needing to leave for years, talking down about a Conference and fellow institutions that we have been privileged to be associated with. Then when you got your wish, you act like a snarky little punk about it. Take a hint and hit the road.

And by the way I did meet you last year in Boone. You were pretty hammered, so the conversation didn't last long. You need to move to Hollywood you narcissistic pup.

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2013, 03:13 PM

I can confirm that. AA2 is a hell of a good guy...one of the best I've met. He's the same guy in person that he is in real life and there is a whole lot to be said about a guy like that.xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
November 19th, 2013, 03:20 PM
No part of Deliverance was filmed anywhere near Sylva, NC.

True.

But, part of "The Eric Rudloph Story" took place in Cullowhee. I think the part where the protagonist was attending college.

Oh wait. That was real life. :(

Apphole
November 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I can confirm that. AA2 is a hell of a good guy...one of the best I've met. He's the same guy in person that he is in real life and there is a whole lot to be said about a guy like that.xthumbsupx

Well your character reference for him isn't at issue here xlolx. You and I chatted for quite a while. And Alpha as well.

citdog
November 19th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Nothing more Hollywood than walking into the lions den of an AGS meet up in a bar whilst wearing a michigan shirt

AshevilleApp2
November 19th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Nothing more Hollywood than walking into the lions den of an AGS meet up in a bar whilst wearing a michigan shirt

And who bought the ruse first my friend?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Well your character reference for him isn't at issue here xlolx. You and I chatted for quite a while. And Alpha as well.

I confirmed that you and he had met and the character reference was gratis. You were the one that mentioned the if you met me real life part.

CID1990
November 19th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I also suspected the same for GSU, but the Citadel inexplicably chose to go the 'Boro for a pittance, so I may be wrong.

Look no further than our AD.

He is also responsible for another great achievement- scheduling to play AT CSU next season.

The Cats
November 19th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Look no further than our AD.

He is also responsible for another great achievement- scheduling to play AT CSU next season.

That was a curious move. The CSU stadium only holds about 4k right?

I guess that will be the hottest ticket in town next season.

AppMan
November 19th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Putting myself in their shoes, if I were a Western grad there is no way I'd want to see my team play football in Boone ever again. All other sports are fine, but football never.

Western has 1 winning season since 2000. Not counting my chickens before they hatch, in all likelihood after Saturday The Cats will be 19-80 since 2005. Their average attendance during that period is 8085. Unless things change dramatically, make that shockingly, in Cullowhee, even a passing mention of Western going FBS is crazy.

walliver
November 19th, 2013, 09:47 PM
That was a curious move. The CSU stadium only holds about 4k right?

I guess that will be the hottest ticket in town next season.

Did they expand?

I suspect there was a financial aspect, 2:1 or 3:1 may have saved Citadel a few pennies. On the other hand, CSU could probably generate more revenue playing at Citadel than hosting Citadel.

T-Dog
November 19th, 2013, 11:36 PM
This is going to make me very popular, but I'll say it.

I don't want App State to play any current SoCon schools for a long time.

I'd rather App schedule ETSU as our FCS home game every year for a long time. It would be cheap and a good crowd every year.

citdog
November 19th, 2013, 11:47 PM
This is going to make me very popular, but I'll say it.

I don't want App State to play any current SoCon schools for a long time.

I'd rather App schedule ETSU as our FCS home game every year for a long time. It would be cheap and a good crowd every year.

you're just afraid of losing 3 in a row to The Citadel

catamount man
November 20th, 2013, 05:45 AM
From what I have gathered, WCU's 2014 non-conference slate will be at South Florida, at Alabama, possibly at Wake Forest and hosting Brevard and Davidson so no trip to Boone in 2014.

catamount man
November 20th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Asheville app is an awesome guy. nothing but love from here. will miss him, asug8 and even appaholic. what happened to him?

AppMan
November 20th, 2013, 07:24 AM
you're just afraid of losing 3 in a row to The Citadel

29-12 overall.

Saint3333
November 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Citdog wouldn't want to play us this Saturday, let's be honest.

walliver
November 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM
From what I have gathered, WCU's 2014 non-conference slate will be at South Florida, at Alabama, possibly at Wake Forest and hosting Brevard and Davidson so no trip to Boone in 2014.

That looks like a schedule designed to exclude an at-large bid.

SpeedkingATL
November 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM

I realize the need to generate cash but WCU needs to schedule potentially winnable games to shed the "losers mentality". Whee should continue to improve but it might not show with that type of OOC schedule. The Bama game alone could cost WCU a few key players.

catamount man
November 20th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I would think Mercer, VMI, Davidson and Brevard is showing the desire to schedule possible wins. I do think Mercer will be a hard game though. Speir has won 1 in 2012, 2, so far, in 2013. 4-5 in year 3 is showing major improvement. You guys have no clue how inept WCU's administration was for over 30 years that has led us to this point. Trust me, we are getting better. Slowly. GO CATS!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 20th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I would think Mercer, VMI, Davidson and Brevard is showing the desire to schedule possible wins. I do think Mercer will be a hard game though. Speir has won 1 in 2012, 2, so far, in 2013. 4-5 in year 3 is showing major improvement. You guys have no clue how inept WCU's administration was for over 30 years that has led us to this point. Trust me, we are getting better. Slowly. GO CATS!

At this point, I would not be surprised if WCU gets at least four wins next season with the schedule you have. I agree with you that you are getting better as a team and that you have a halfway decent coach. I wish your team well in the future (except starting in 2015/2016 when ETSU rejoins the SoCon for football).

catamount man
November 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
At this point, I would not be surprised if WCU gets at least four wins next season with the schedule you have. I agree with you that you are getting better as a team and that you have a halfway decent coach. I wish your team well in the future (except starting in 2015/2016 when ETSU rejoins the SoCon for football).

Well it's not set in stone, but yes, I would agree. GO CATS!

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Citdog wouldn't want to play us this Saturday, let's be honest.

what happened when we played this season? Last season? I forget....

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 11:34 AM
29-12 overall.

52-28

http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

Saint3333
November 20th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Last year a beating, much like the many we have given you in the past. This year Citadel won in OT by three. App is playing much better in November and annual Citdog fade has already occurred. I'd like our chances given another shot.

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Last year a beating, much like the many we have given you in the past. This year Citadel won in OT by three. App is playing much better in November and annual Citdog fade has already occurred. I'd like our chances given another shot.

too bad we won't get a chance to whip you one more time. it has become a TRADITION!

DoWe
November 20th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Oh forward-thinking one, you know a TRADITION requires at least 35 occurrences.

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Oh forward-thinking one, you know a TRADITION requires at least 35 occurrences.

no....that's a RIVALRY

try and follow along

xnodx

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM
too bad we won't get a chance to whip you one more time. it has become a TRADITION!

xlolx

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM
xlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jYfpkI5VuA

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jYfpkI5VuA

xlolx

Saint3333
November 20th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Citadel's tradition is choking down the stretch.

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Citadel's tradition is choking down the stretch.

we didn't wait until then this year. we **** the bed in the first week

T-Dog
November 21st, 2013, 10:19 PM
Story about the actual Old Mountain Jug, which is in fact a real moonshine jug.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_ce985466-531e-11e3-8f09-0019bb30f31a.html

PhillyApp1
November 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
Story about the actual Old Mountain Jug, which is in fact a real moonshine jug.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_ce985466-531e-11e3-8f09-0019bb30f31a.html

AHHHH.....Real Moonshine Jug........I can taste it now :-)........cough, cough, looong cough..........AHHHHH that was aaaa headspinning ??? LOL

boonegoon
November 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
I know that this rivalry has become one sided here of late but I wonder what some of you all's favorite moments are. Mine is not what I would call a favorite but my most vivid memory is watching Brad Hoover run all over us when we were ranked in the top 5. I was on the sidelines and that dude was a man among boys that day.

Mountaineer
November 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
31-0 App in the 2nd.

The Jug is staying home.

Mountaineer
November 23rd, 2013, 04:28 PM
App INT return for a TD.

38-7 Mountaineers.

14:05 in the 3rd

CID1990
November 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Well congrats on retaining the Jug, Apps.

Also, farewell to you and good luck in the Sun Belt. Wish you were still in the SoCon so I could still go to games in KBS where I have a dog in the hunt. Now I have to go watch you play Idaho. Thanks a lot!

catamount man
November 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Just glad it's over with and we never play them again in football. GO CATS!

The Cats
November 24th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Congrats on the win in the final Jug game. I was hoping the Cats would put up a better showing, with the possibility of the Mountaineers leaving the Jug in the FCS.

However, we were, as has become the tradition for Catamount teams, not prepared for the game.

If you can't get your players up, and playing beyond their normal levels for the ASU/Jug game, there's little hope in doing so in other games. Certainly, the current Catamount staff did not get this team to over-achieve, but, as we continue to be told, "we're young, and just making young team mistakes".

At least the constant losing to ASU is finally over for the Catamounts, best of luck in the Sun Belt. As Nixon once said, "you're not going to have us to kick around any longer"

I wonder who we'll make a tradition of losing to next?

Mountaineer
November 24th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Now I have to go watch you play Idaho. Thanks a lot!

xlolx Could skip Idaho and watch the Liberty game instead. Southern Miss at home will be sweet in 2015.

Congrats on the win in the final Jug game. I was hoping the Cats would put up a better showing, with the possibility of the Mountaineers leaving the Jug in the FCS.

Thanks Cats. Listening on the radio yesterday it was evident that WCU is getting better athletes. I think Coach Speir has you guys heading in the right direction. It's going to take commitment from the fans, students, and university - but it can be done. Best of luck next year. xnodx

DoWe
November 24th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Speir will begin producing more wins once he has a group of upperclassmen he recruited. All things considered, WCU is much better off than now than when Wags the sweat suit model was at the helm.

catamount man
November 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Speir will begin producing more wins once he has a group of upperclassmen he recruited. All things considered, WCU is much better off than now than when Wags the sweat suit model was at the helm.

Brad Glenn should be shown the door tomorrow. His offense is horrendous. It's time for Speir to run the same offense that Hodgin had Lonnie Galloway running in Cullowhee back in the early 90s, ya know the last time we had a pulse of a football team.

SpeedkingATL
November 24th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Good luck going forward Cats.