PDA

View Full Version : UNH or UMass

ChickenMan
October 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Who's better...???

UNH... probably the best offense in I-AA... but some questions relative to their 'D'.

UMass... very solid on both sides of the ball

I'll go with UMass... the better all around team in my opinion... their only loss was a close one vs a good Navy team in a game that they could have won.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I judge this by a head to head. If they played, I think UMass would win, so thats my choice.

October 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
UMass is untested except for Navy and they lost.

Husky Alum
October 9th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I judge this by a head to head. If they played, I think UMass would win, so thats my choice.

They do play, so the point will be moot, and will be decided on the field.

GannonFan
October 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM
UMass is untested except for Navy and they lost.

Agreed - UMass may be good, but there's no evidence to prove it yet. Unfortunately, they have a schedule to die for this year and we may not know until they play UNH in November. Barring a disaster, they will be a playoff team but even then they may still be unproven.

Tribe4SF
October 9th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Having seen UMass in person, they are a legitimate NC contender. UNH's offense can win games by itself, but overall, I think UMass is probably a better team. No weaknesses. Excellent team speed, and very physical.

I still have UNH #1, and will keep them there til they lose. I've had UMass #2 since week 2, and they confirmed my impressions last Saturday. UNH has earned the top ranking, but if I had to bet head-to-head, I'd take UMass.

Kabooom
October 9th, 2006, 12:07 PM
UNH defense suspect??...Probably......so what??...The Santos /Ball factor negates that concern.... This game will probably be the usual high scoring affair....UNH over the Minutemen.....by a cats whisker....

umassfan
October 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM
The head to head matchup will be interesting. UNH likes to call plays at the line of scrimage so they D cannot sub players. This hurts UMass because we play many dif packages and change from 4 to 3 to 2 down lineman on any given play. They hurt us last year but doing this. It should be interesting to see what Brown comes up with to counter it.

UNHFan99
October 9th, 2006, 12:32 PM
The game is not until NOV 4TH!!.. There is so much time for both these teams to show what they are made of. While I am really looking forward to this game, it's JMU week in Durham and the Cats are getting ready for that matchup. UNH has already passed their early tests this season and I think we will really get the sense of how good Umass is by the time this game will be played. I think they are the real deal, but this is the A-10 and upsets happen to every team every season. Good thing we have so much time to think about this matchup. xcoffeex

Maroon&White
October 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM
There are quite a few games to be played before discussing the UMass/UNH matchup. Let's wait until after the Oct.28th games :)

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Thank goodness this question will be answered on the field.

Ram Ball
October 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
So glad that we have both of them left to play...:bang:

blur2005
October 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I'll stick with UNH in that matchup. It'll be a great game, I expect.

Umass74
October 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/umas/galleries/102905ftbll_unh/05_um_ftbll_246-lg.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/umas/galleries/102905ftbll_unh/05_um_ftbll_144-lg.jpg
Last year's game was wild! Ball tied an all-time opponent McGuirk record with four TD catches.

Santos pulled off an incredible play to shake off Keron Williams to hit Ball in the back of the endzone.

UMass racked up 34 first downs and Coen threw for 401 yards (second all-time for a UMass QB). We had 528 yards of total offense. And had a TD called back on a penality :bawling:

Hopefully, this year we can be on the winning side. Already purchased tickets for November 4th.

Husky Alum
October 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM
:bang:
So glad that we have both of them left to play...:bang:

We play them back to back. Albeit at home, but back to back.

:bang: :bang:

UNH_ORACLE
October 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Lets not jinx this game. I call we put to rest all the UNH/UMASS talk until October 29th. This game has potential to be a HUGE game if both UMASS and UNH can take care of business in the upcoming weeks. Until then its just a wet dream...

UMass922
October 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Lets not jinx this game. I call we put to rest all the UNH/UMASS talk until October 29th.

Seconded.

mainejeff
October 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Maine needs to beat one of them (and win the rest of their games) to have any shot at a playoff berth. I'm not looking forward to playing either of them, but UNH at home is better than UMass on the road.

th0m
October 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Maine needs to beat one of them (and win the rest of their games) to have any shot at a playoff berth. I'm not looking forward to playing either of them, but UNH at home is better than UMass on the road.

Jeff, what happened to your helmet!

Sam Adams
October 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Lots of games between now and then, but right now I would favor UNH, they deserve to be #1.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Thank goodness this question will be answered on the field.

can't think of a better way

Mr. C
October 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Having seen UMass in person, they are a legitimate NC contender. UNH's offense can win games by itself, but overall, I think UMass is probably a better team. No weaknesses. Excellent team speed, and very physical.

I still have UNH #1, and will keep them there til they lose. I've had UMass #2 since week 2, and they confirmed my impressions last Saturday. UNH has earned the top ranking, but if I had to bet head-to-head, I'd take UMass.
Obviously, an A-10 homer:D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx

Old Cat Fan
October 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
UNH vs Umass, throw the records out the door anything can happen. As long as UNH goes further into this season undefeated the bullseye on there back will just get bigger and bigger and one of the A-10 teams will hit the mark. I have a bad feeling it will be U-Mass. I hope I'm wrong:(

umassfan
October 9th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Obviously, an A-10 homer:D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx
Why is he an A10 homer? Have you seen one game that we have played this season? or are you too busy in the mountains of NC?

Mr. C
October 10th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Why is he an A10 homer? Have you seen one game that we have played this season? or are you too busy in the mountains of NC?
Do you have anything resembling a sense of humor. I guess you missed all of the smily faces. I'll match the amount of games I see with yours any day. And FYI, I've had UMass in my top 10 for most of the season.

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure who will win but I suspect a shootout similar to the UNH-UD game.

umassfan
October 10th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure who will win but I suspect a shootout similar to the UNH-UD game.
Hate to break it to ya but UMass will tackle alittle better then UD did in that game. Will prob be a shootout but not that high scoring.

umassfan
October 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Do you have anything resembling a sense of humor. I guess you missed all of the smily faces. I'll match the amount of games I see with yours any day. And FYI, I've had UMass in my top 10 for most of the season.
I dont get to see as many I-AA games this year as last due to having only cable and not Direct tv like last year. I dont get cstv or espn u. Still you never answered my question if you saw UMass ever? You can go on our website right now and watch the W&M game. It will give you a better look at both Baylark and Brooks. ;)

October 10th, 2006, 04:35 AM
...Still you never answered my question if you saw UMass ever?...Do you know who you are typing to? He has seen UMass many times. What is your point? Don't try and pull the "have you seen" on Mr. C. Most times it is fruitless. C'mon, ask some good questions or give some reasoned opinions.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2006, 06:31 AM

The answer to that question would be a resounding NO !!!:rotateh:

umassfan
October 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Do you know who you are typing to? He has seen UMass many times. What is your point? Don't try and pull the "have you seen" on Mr. C. Most times it is fruitless. C'mon, ask some good questions or give some reasoned opinions.
Ralph I didnt know you answered for Mr C. If someone were to answer for him, id atleast expect a hot secretary. xlolx

GannonFan
October 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Hate to break it to ya but UMass will tackle alittle better then UD did in that game. Will prob be a shootout but not that high scoring.

34-28 last year against a much better UMass defense at UMass. Not difficult to see another 21 points total tacked onto that score from last year. Should certainly be a shootout and may not end up much different than the UD game.

umassfan
October 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
34-28 last year against a much better UMass defense at UMass. Not difficult to see another 21 points total tacked onto that score from last year. Should certainly be a shootout and may not end up much different than the UD game.
Do you know anything about our D this year? We are 13th in total D, 7th in scoring D, 12th in pass eff D, and 22nd in rushing D.

The rushing numbers are inflated due to Navy's offense.

GannonFan
October 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Do you know anything about our D this year? We are 13th in total D, 7th in scoring D, 12th in pass eff D, and 22nd in rushing D.

The rushing numbers are inflated due to Navy's offense.

So in one breath you can say that the numbers are inflated because you played Navy and then in another breath you can't seem to bring up that UMass has had one test to date and that was Navy. Colgate, nova, Stony Brook, and W&M aren't setting the world on fire this year (a combined 7-14 this year) and playing that quartet of offensively challenged teams has certainly helped UMass's numbers as well. Hey, I think UMass is good, I think they are playoff good. I also think they'll be largely untested until they get to the playoffs - they have UNH and to a much lesser extent Maine left on the schedule - they should be 9-2 easy. Whether they are finally able to overcome past underacheiving won't be known until they get to the playoffs, which barring a collapse greater than last year should happen.

umassfan
October 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM
So in one breath you can say that the numbers are inflated because you played Navy and then in another breath you can't seem to bring up that UMass has had one test to date and that was Navy. Colgate, nova, Stony Brook, and W&M aren't setting the world on fire this year (a combined 7-14 this year) and playing that quartet of offensively challenged teams has certainly helped UMass's numbers as well. Hey, I think UMass is good, I think they are playoff good. I also think they'll be largely untested until they get to the playoffs - they have UNH and to a much lesser extent Maine left on the schedule - they should be 9-2 easy. Whether they are finally able to overcome past underacheiving won't be known until they get to the playoffs, which barring a collapse greater than last year should happen.
You want to talk about underacheiving? Should I bring up the biggest underacheiving program in A10 history? Yes that would be the one and only Delaware Blue Hens... how many great teams of Tubby and now KC have fallen flat on their face?

Anyways back to the topic.You are right... we havent played anyone besides Navy that is a top team, but then again how many top 25 teams have? Stony Brook is currently in first of the NEC, Colgate needs to get shot for their losses like Princton, and W&M well they are in a down year. Im glad we play Maine and Hofstra at home this year. NU will be harder because it is away. Towson will be a test this week with it being their homecoming and our first time back on the road in the last 3 weeks.

On a bight side, we gain 3 players back this week(maybe more) who havent played yet this season. Brandon Freeman(DB), Megget(FS), and Victor Cruz(WR) all will see their first action this week. Also we may see the likes of another LBer who came from UConn in the spring and has been injured all season.

RadMann
October 10th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Just reading any posts from UMassFan makes me want UMass to lose every game.... lol

ChickenMan
October 11th, 2006, 08:27 AM
You want to talk about underacheiving? Should I bring up the biggest underacheiving program in A10 history? Yes that would be the one and only Delaware Blue Hens... how many great teams of Tubby and now KC have fallen flat on their face?

Here's a comparision of the UMass/UD programs since UD became a member of the A10/Yankee Conference in 1986...

Conference records... UMass... 94-67... UD 111-50

Conference titles... UMass... 5 UD... 8

Playoff appearences... UMass... 4 UD... 11

Playoff wins... UMass... 5 UD... 14

Semi-final appearences... UMass... 1 UD... 4

Titles... UMass... 1 UD... 1

the facts seem to indicate that the "biggest underachieving program in A10 history" has achieved a lot more than your Minutemen... xlolx

Maverick
October 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Chicken Man,
How about comparing what KC has done since his arrival? Since the questions surrounding the program all seem to regard what has happened since KC won the NC. For UMass you can look at what it has done since 1998 when it won the NC.

Prior to that there is no question, as the numbers don't lie even if UMassfan had taken the time to see that UD was a far better program year in and out. UMass did win a few but very few.

After Whipple arrived, the UD-UMass games were worth the price of admission in terms of competition.

JMUfan2008
October 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Here's a comparision of the UMass/UD programs since UD became a member of the A10/Yankee Conference in 1986...

the facts seem to indicate that the "biggest underachieving program in A10 history" has achieved a lot more than your Minutemen... xlolx

I can't wait to hear his response to this...I think it'll make my day xlolx

ChickenMan
October 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
How about comparing what KC has done since his arrival?

KC one title... UMass... zero titles.... :D

seriously umASSfan's goofy statement was that UD was the "biggest underachieving program in A10 history"... history is far more than KC's tenure... :nod:

Maverick
October 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I agree that U assfan lets his fingers type things that can't be backed up such as his history statement. What I was more going towards is something I too have noticed as seems to be a common thread on some other places regarding KC and what many perceive to be a decline from his first year to now. This includes recruiting, competitiveness, overall feeling about the program etc. I have seen UD be one of the standards for this level for so long that I am confused as to what is going on down there. An example would be the games and scores in the UMass-UD series since 98.

ChickenMan
October 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I have seen UD be one of the standards for this level for so long that I am confused as to what is going on down there.

You ain't the only one... :p

Maverick
October 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM
How about this for a new one:

KCF - He can't get the chicken right!!

KCF - Stands for KCs Fault?

xlolx xlolx xlolx :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :nod: :nod:

umassfan
October 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM

MY POINT was that Tubby got his teams to the playoffs but got ZERO championships out of it... even when he had the best team. Getting to the playoffs and not winning it all is worth about the same as not even getting there at all. What do you have to show for it? "Sorry guys we made a good run but came up short again" Tubby.

UMass922
October 11th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Getting to the playoffs and not winning it all is worth about the same as not even getting there at all.

I disagree. I think there's a lot to be said for a team that routinely makes the playoffs. By your standard, UMass and UD could be said to be equally successful programs over the last 20 years because they've won the same number of national championships, but you'd have to be an absolutely blind, anti-UD UMass homer to believe that's true. Has UD had some teams that could/should have won national titles but didn't? Sure. Regardless, they're clearly the more prestigious of the two programs, and the proof is in the playoff appearances.

Maroon&White
October 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
history is far more than KC's tenure... :nod:

It's also far more then when UD joined the Yankee.

umassfan
October 11th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I disagree. I think there's a lot to be said for a team that routinely makes the playoffs. By your standard, UMass and UD could be said to be equally successful programs over the last 20 years because they've won the same number of national championships, but you'd have to be an absolutely blind, anti-UD UMass homer to believe that's true. Has UD had some teams that could/should have won national titles but didn't? Sure. Regardless, they're clearly the more prestigious of the two programs, and the proof is in the playoff appearances.
Im talking about underacheiving... im not talking about programe prestige.

ChickenMan
October 11th, 2006, 12:43 PM
MY POINT was that Tubby got his teams to the playoffs but got ZERO championships out of it... even when he had the best team.

Apparently we have a different opionion of what underachieving might be. I'd say losing in the 1st round to an underdog opponent is underachieving. I'd also say not making the playoffs with playoff caliber talent is underachieving. Any of that sound familiar...???

As for UD... in my opinion Tubby only had three UD teams that may have been good enough to win the I-AA title...

'82... lost in the finals to EKU

'97... lost in the last second semi-final to McNeese St

'00... lost in the semi's to eventual champ GSU

those teams may or may not have been good enough to win a title ... but no reasonable fan would say they underachieved.

GannonFan
October 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
MY POINT was that Tubby got his teams to the playoffs but got ZERO championships out of it... even when he had the best team. Getting to the playoffs and not winning it all is worth about the same as not even getting there at all. What do you have to show for it? "Sorry guys we made a good run but came up short again" Tubby.

Wow, first of all, if you really believe getting to the playoffs and not winning it all is about the same as not making the playoffs then you really are off the deep end. Yikes.

And second, when did Tubby have the best team and he didn't win it? I think you would be right with the 1982 team, and possibly the 1997 team (although our offense wasn't terribly good that year), but that's about it. And it's not like those teams embarrassed themselves - the 1982 team lost a 3 pt game to EKU that hinged on a blocked FG returned for a touchdown. It happens. And the 1997 team wasn't really any better than McNeese or Youngstown St that year, and still lost on a FG as time expired to McNeese. Love to hear what teams you think were clearly the best yet didn't win it all. xcoffeex

GannonFan
October 11th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Apparently we have a different opionion of what underachieving might be. I'd say losing in the 1st round to an underdog oppoent is underachieving. I'd also say not making the playoffs with playoff caliber talent is underachieving. Any of that sound familar...???

As for UD... in my opinion Tubby only had three UD teams that may have been good enough to win the I-AA title...

'82... lost in the finals to EKU

'97... lost in the last second semi-final to McNeese St

'00... lost in the semi's to eventual champ GSU

those teams may or may not have been good enough to win a title ... but no reasonable fan would say they underachieved.

Hey, look at that - pretty good list if you ask me! ;) I disagree with the 2000 team - GSU's defense was just too good to go along with a pretty capable offense. But great call on the '82 and '97 teams.

UMass922
October 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Im talking about underacheiving... im not talking about programe prestige.

I wasn't responding to your statement about UD underachieving. I was responding to your statement that "getting to the playoffs and not winning it all is worth about the same as not even getting there at all."

LacesOut
October 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Two very good football teams. Can't wait until they play this year, and hopefully both teams will make the playoffs so we can all see just how good they may actually be, against other top I-AA teams from around the country. (and also Richmond)

With that said, I really don't know who is the better team. Is UMass's Defense significantly better than UNH's? And is UNH's Offense that much better than UMass's?

Questions, questions, questions.............

umassfan
October 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Well what do you have to show for in making it to the playoffs and coming away with nothing? You have the same thing that a non playoff team does. Does making it to the semis or quarter finals really impress you? Sorry but I like the big prize.

ChickenMan
October 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Well what do you have to show for in making it to the playoffs and coming away with nothing? You have the same thing that a non playoff team does. Does making it to the semis or quarter finals really impress you? Sorry but I like the big prize.

:dizzy:

umassfan
October 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Two very good football teams. Can't wait until they play this year, and hopefully both teams will make the playoffs so we can all see just how good they may actually be, against other top I-AA teams from around the country. (and also Richmond)

With that said, I really don't know who is the better team. Is UMass's Defense significantly better than UNH's? And is UNH's Offense that much better than UMass's?

Questions, questions, questions.............
Thanks for getting it back on topic... :D

As for the Defense... we do have a better D. UNH has the slightly better O. Like I said before... this game will all depend on how Brown figures to use his packages against UNH. UNH calls plays from the line of scrimage therefore limiting subs. That was the key to last years game and will be again this season.

UMass922
October 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM

I like "the big prize" too. Who doesn't? But yes, I am impressed by programs that frequently qualify for, and advance in, the playoffs. I wish that UMass were one of them.

YoUDeeMan
October 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM

It's a good thing that UMass decided to stay home last year to save you the trouble of potentially extending your misery a few more games. xidiotx

Maverick
October 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
In U assfan's case, the "big" prize has to be the booby prize!! I am sure that his very small and vocal minority of probably slightly over one are very alone in such a myopic view of the playoffs. The 16 are certainly glad and of the others not selected for playoffs I don't recall ever hearing that they were glad that they weren't selected since they probably couldn't have won the championship.