PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Scenarios

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
We know a lot more after today.

Wofford is eliminated from the SoCon title race. I believe their loss today also officially (if not realistically) eliminates them from the post season conversation as well.

Samford can earn a share of the SoCon title by defeating Elon at home on Saturday. Samford needs to beat Elon and for Furman to lose to Wofford to lock up the automatic bid (they will own the tie breaker over UTC).

Furman can share in the SoCon title with a win over Wofford. If Furman beats Wofford, and Samford beats Elon, Furman will be the SoCon's auto bid. If Samford loses, Furman cannot get the auto bid (Furman wins the three way tiebreaker with UTC/Samford, but loses the head to head tiebreaker with UTC).

UTC is (a potentially co) conference champion. They will get the auto bid with a Samford loss (they lose the tiebreaker with Samford, but will win the tie breaker with Furman).

It's an interesting scenario when looking at the at large bid. UTC and Samford are both likely in the post season if Furman is out of the picture. If Furman is the auto bid, either the SoCon gets three teams, or it comes down to a beauty contest between UTC and Samford.

blueballs
November 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Nice breakdown...

IMO only Samford can get an at large and I can't see any SoCon teams hosting regardless. This is the worst year for the conference in a long time.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Nice breakdown...

IMO only Samford can get an at large and I can't see any SoCon teams hosting regardless. This is the worst year for the conference in a long time.

I guess my thought is that if Samford beats Elon, both UTC and Samford will be 6-2, and Samford wins the head to head.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Nice breakdown...

2003 was probably worse than this year's. 2004 would be if it weren't for how good GSU and Furman were.

eaglewraith
November 16th, 2013, 07:44 PM
If Samford wins and Furman loses, Chatty has no wins against a team over .500 either I believe. That looks bad for them on the at large front. I think Samford is the only team from the Socon in that case.

blueballs
November 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM
2003 was probably worse than this year's. 2004 would be if it weren't for how good GSU and Furman were.

2003 was probably comparable except none of this year's teams are as good as Wofford was that year. I don't see a SoCon team advancing to the final four this year.

Saint3333
November 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM
If we get one to the quarters it will be because they don't match up with another power FCS conference opponent.

ASU_Fanatic
November 16th, 2013, 09:00 PM
wow so really furman is in really solid shape. wofford is pretty bad and furman is playing great, and we obviously all expect samford to beat elon

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2013, 09:54 PM

In 2003 Wofford was probably the second best team in the country that year though....

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2013, 10:07 PM
In 2003 Furman was half a great team. Probably the best SoCon defense in the last 20 years. Offense was awful.

chattanoogamocs
November 17th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Honestly, I am not sure how anyone can figure out the conference tiebreakers at this point...

If ASU, Furman and Samford win (which isn't far-fetched)...then you have:

6-2 Samford
6-2 Furman
6-2 Chattanooga

They are all 1-1 against each other so you then go down the list...

Uh oh,

4-4 GSU
4-4 ASU
4-4 Wofford
4-4 The Citadel

How do you determine which one is first through fourth in this group?

Yeah, the SoCon doesn't have a clue right now either (guess what they are going to spend all week doing)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Honestly, I am not sure how anyone can figure out the conference tiebreakers at this point...

If ASU, Furman and Samford win (which isn't far-fetched)...then you have:

6-2 Samford
6-2 Furman
6-2 Chattanooga

They are all 1-1 against each other so you then go down the list...

Uh oh,

4-4 GSU
4-4 ASU
4-4 Wofford
4-4 The Citadel

How do you determine which one is first through fourth in this group?

Yeah, the SoCon doesn't have a clue right now either (guess what they are going to spend all week doing)

Except that Furman beat them all...

chattanoogamocs
November 17th, 2013, 12:57 AM

Ha...you beat me to it...I was just about to get back on here and post that I started looking at all the 4-4 teams and Furman beat them all. That's crazy to think that losing to what could end up being the worst team in the SoCon standings (Elon) is ultimately what could get Furman the autobid.

Doink!
(the sound of a football clanging off the goal post)

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 01:32 AM

furman sucks