PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 12.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 16th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I was 4-2 this week. Samford beats Chattanooga to prevent an outright clinch while Wofford's chances of them seeing the playoffs go down in flames. Here's where I have it after this week with updated magic number in parenthesis.

1) Samford (IN) - wins a close one but need to win next week to get autobid
2) Chattanooga (IN) - can still win autobid but need help
3) Furman (1 of 1) - Kept their playoff hopes alive (again) one more week (recurring theme)
4) Wofford (eliminated) - saw their playoff hopes end today
5) The Citadel (eliminated) - overrun the Keydets
6) Appalachian State (ineligible) - has a chance for a even conference record next week
7) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - wins their last SoCon game
8) Western Carolina (eliminated) - has one more game against an old rival
9) Elon (eliminated) - lost the Battle of the Birds
Mercer (eliminated) - lost to Marist and quite possibly their conference title hopes
VMI (eliminated) - gets a taste of their future conference brethern
ETSU - announced their first home game in 12 years last Thursday against Kennesaw State

Predictions
The Citadel @ Clemson - Tigers rip Bulldogs to shreds
Chattanooga @ Alabama - Tide beat Mocs in similar fashion to their big brothers from Knoxville
Georgia Southern @ Florida (Upset Special of the Week, yes I am going there) - Gators lose to a team nobody in the SEC is supposed to lose to.
Wofford @ Furman (Game of the week) - Paladins win autobid by beating Wofford
Elon @ Samford - Bulldogs win a share of conference title by beating Elon
Western Carolina @ Appalachian State - The Old Mountain Jug's resting place will be in Boone
Stetson @ Mercer - Bears cap off winning season with a win
Bucknell @ VMI - Keydets cap off losing season with a loss
ETSU - Is it September 3, 2015 yet?

Playoff/Conference Title Scenario
Chattanooga - wins autobid with Samford loss (1-1 vs. Samford/Furman)
Samford - wins autobid with win vs. Elon and Furman loss (1-1 vs. Chattanooga/Furman)
Furman - wins autobid with win vs. Wofford and Samford win vs. Elon (1-1 vs. Chattanooga/Samford) by virtue of going 3-0/4-0 against fourth place teams Georgia Southern, Wofford, The Citadel and Appalachian State

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I think we'd have a decent chance against Florida with McKinnon and Swope at 100%, but our inability to run the ball up the middle effectively and securely will doom us. That, and even though I think we can stop Florida from running, there's no way we can keep even Florida's bad QB from throwing.

Seems like every time we play an FBS team that isn't really good we either aren't very good because we have a depleted roster or we are just plain not very good altogether.

42-14 lizards
I hate UF.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I noted this in the other thread, but Furman gets the auto bid by beating Wofford and Samford beating Elon.

Furman has to have Samford win because Furman wins the three way tie breaker with UTC/Sam, but loses the head to head tie breaker with UTC.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I am a bit intimidated of the Wofford game, simply because of how much is riding on it. I do think Furman matches up as well with Wofford as any team in the SoCon. Furman has been stellar against the option this season.

A pretty bad Furman team gave a pretty good Wofford team all they wanted last season in Spartanburg. Wofford is limping into this game in a venue where they tend to struggle. Dangerous game for Furman.

If the Paladins can pull out a win, they will retake sole possession of first in the all-time SoCon championships mark with their 13th.

chattanoogamocs
November 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM
No matter what, they can't take this away from the Mocs...

(Now it feels real to this long suffering Mocs fan)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZTogYnIYAAtl-J.jpg:large

Saint3333
November 17th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Strange that App and GSU are still listed on the trophy.

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 05:42 PM

one more week

kdinva
November 17th, 2013, 06:22 PM
(week 13)

Wofford 21 @ Furman 27
Elon 13 @ Samford 34
Western Carolina 20 @ Appalachian State 31
Stetson 13 @ Mercer 27
Bucknell 19 @ VMI 20

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2013, 07:20 PM

If their games counted as conference wins and losses, they should be on the trophy.

I do take some satisfaction knowing that, eligible or not, neither App or GSU would have won that trophy this year.

Apphole
November 17th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I do take some satisfaction knowing that, eligible or not, neither App or GSU would have won that trophy this year.

There's no room in our trophy case for another one anyway. xlolx

Saint3333
November 17th, 2013, 08:11 PM
one more week

Going to be quiet around these threads, don't miss us too badly.

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Going to be quiet around these threads, don't miss us too badly.

what school are you a fan of again? seem to remember is it Yusef? no that's cat stevens.....can't seem to remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBlKqktP_E

Saint3333
November 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm sure we'll see you in Boone soon enough. I hate we don't play in Charleston anymore.

GATA_Eagles
November 17th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'm sure we'll see you in Boone soon enough. I hate we don't play in Charleston anymore.

We have them in Paulson in 2015

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 09:08 PM
They'll whip our fannies in Paulson in 2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY

GATA_Eagles
November 17th, 2013, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY

Uh huh. 18-5-0 and 12-1 in Statesboro. We'll be fine.

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Uh huh. 18-5-0 and 12-1 in Statesboro. We'll be fine.

You know DAMN well that you would rather see almost ANY OTHER FCS team roll into pigs ass than The Citadel.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2013, 09:19 PM
There's no room in our trophy case for another one anyway. xlolx

You have the same number as Furman, brother.

Saint3333
November 17th, 2013, 09:44 PM
In football, yes, but in fewer years. For all sports we leave with the most.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2013, 09:51 PM
In football, yes, but in fewer years. For all sports we leave with the most.

The comments were about SoCon football trophies, not all sports trophies.

Furman won its first SoCon title after App State joined the conference. So, Furman and App have the same number of titles in the same number of years.

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 09:55 PM

Furman won its first SoCon title after App State joined the conference. So, Furman and App have the same number of titles in the same number of years.

http://files.sharenator.com/slap_bitch_demotivational_poster_slap_the_bitch-s440x352-82424-580.jpg

eaglewraith
November 17th, 2013, 10:49 PM

Well if you win it this year, how will you find a spot to put it with all those National Championship trophies in the way?

Oh wait.

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Well if you win it this year, how will you find a spot to put it with all those National Championship trophies in the way?

Oh wait.

At least vermin will be playing for one every year and not the right to play in the poulan weedeater independence bowl

CID1990
November 17th, 2013, 11:30 PM
At least vermin will be playing for one every year and not the right to play in the poulan weedeater independence bowl

You mean the WhosyourDaddy.com bowl

The trophy is a bronze ham sammich on an ironing board

Apphole
November 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM
You boys are talking about a bowl that likely has higher ratings, higher attendance, and more national coverage than the JV title game in the soccer stadium.

One week.

Saint3333
November 18th, 2013, 06:23 AM

The point was you were in the SoCon longer yet we still have the same number.

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2013, 06:33 AM
One thing is for sure---the power rankings will be certainly different in 2014...no elevated conversations about ironing boards, portapotties, teeth, or pigs.

I will miss that. xwavexxwavex

ThompsonThe
November 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
One thing is for sure---the power rankings will be certainly different in 2014...no elevated conversations about ironing boards, portapotties, teeth, or pigs.

I will miss that. xwavexxwavex

Am sure citdog and chatt will keep you entertained.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 08:51 AM
You boys are talking about a bowl that likely has higher ratings, higher attendance, and more national coverage than the JV title game in the soccer stadium.

One week.

Unfortunately for App State, they will see neither the bowl game any time soon, nor will they compete for the JV title game. Odd you should call it a JV title game, because you conveniently forget that title game is the only reason App State is remotely relevant.

I trust you are comfortable with this year's 3 win season. It's your new normal.

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Odd you should call it a JV title game, because you conveniently forget that title game is the only reason App State is remotely relevant.

Interesting. Few outside of FCS fans had heard of us after winning back-to-back championships.

A certain FBS win brought us far more relevancy than any of our titles.

If NDSU had a poor record against FBS schools, they would be far less relavant, probably wouldn't have gotten gameday, etc.

SCPALADIN
November 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Interesting. Few outside of FCS fans had heard of us after winning back-to-back championships.

If NDSU had a poor record against FBS schools, they would be far less relavant, probably wouldn't have gotten gameday, etc.

There is a great deal of truth to this. Unfortunately the next time App State beats an FBS opponent it will have no relevance whatsoever to anyone outside of Boone, as it will be against Troy, Arkansas St., Ga. State, etc...The only reason Appy and ND State's wins were relevant was that they were both FCS teams beating FBS teams. Once Appy goes to FBS every FBS win will be irrelevant to 90% of the country.

SpeedkingATL
November 18th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Now for some actual rankings and predictions:

1) Samford - Pretty much control their own destiny. Big OT win.
2) UTC - Needs help to make the playoffs after big loss.
3) Furman - Huge turnaround during the season. Could win the auto bid after most left for dead.

Second group:
4) THE Citadel - Team Sybil alive and well.
5) Wofford - Even Ayers couldn't win the SoCon with this team.
6) GaSo - Depends on who suits up to determine how good they are.
7) App State - Young team and young coach getting better.

Third Group:
8a) WCU - Actually a little disappointing.
8b) Elon - Always play close but hardly ever win.

The Games:

Wofford @ Furman - One of 2 games that will determine playoff spots. Furman has gotten better every week and Wofford has been moving in the opposite direction. The App State game took a physical and mental toll on the Ankle-biters as App rolled up the points with a makeshift offensive line. Now Wofford has also been reduced to the spoiler role and the pressure is now clearly on Furple. Even the genius of Ayers will not be able to win this one. Furple clinches the auto bid with a 28-21 victory. Note: There will be a "Yellow Out" as all tailgates are required to serve Aged Cheddar.
Elon @ Samford - There is a strong likelihood that Sammy gets a tourney bid if they win this game. Elon is just playing out the SoCon string but haven't been an easy out for anyone. Sammy should have the momentum after the big UTC win and playing at home in from of 5K reserved fans should help. Sammy wins 31-17. Note: I planned to give tailgate advise to visiting Elon fans but why bother...there won't be any.
WCU @ App State - It says something about the state of App State football when this has been looked upon as an important game for most of the season. The Apps will search their athletic offices to find the cobweb covered Jug that is the prize for this game. App football has been mostly a forgettable embarrassment this season so hopefully the Apps won't give a SoCon parting gift to Whee as they have to much of the SoCon. The Katts will be fired up for this one but a standing only crowd will literally will the Apps to victory. App wins their final SoCon game 38-28. Note: The Apps will be wearing those gawd-awful grey unis with the "Always Attack" logo in play of the names. Should just replace it with "Bye Bye Kats".
GaSo @ Florida - The Gators have been horrible by their standards this year and the heat is on the coaching staff and players. A loss to GaSo would change that "vote of confidence" that went out at UF last week to a "statement of dismissal". The Eagles might be as healthy as they've been all year and that "high school offense" might cause some issues for a disinterested Gator team. I won't predict an upset but this game won't be decided until late in the 4th quarter. Gators skate by 24-21 on a late field goal after a GaSo fumble. Note: Go Eagles! Kick their swampy butts!
THE Citadel @ Clemson - The Citdogs has been an on-again off-again team all year. Clemson has played like a top 10 team except for the FSU beatdown. Clemson and Boyd will victimize the Citdogs secondary over and over again as they roll in this one. Tigers win 48-14. Note: Ben Dupree will get his 100 yards.
UTC @ Alabama - The talking heads at ESPN are saying that Bama's lackluster performance against Miss St this weekend was because they were looking ahead to the Mocs. The big game is now here and the Tide is trying to figure out how to slow down Baby Hues and the Mocs offense. I expect this game will be close in the first 10 minutes then the Tide will settle down from the excitement and start playing Bama football. It's a bad day for the Mocs as they get clobbered and both Sammy and Furman win to steal their playoff spot. Tide wins 48-7. Note: Tennessee plays at home against Vandy for all those UTC fans that can't bear to watch this one.

ElCid
November 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I nailed all of last week's winners, and came pretty close on most of the spreads.

1 - Samford - pulled it out somehow; good enough for at-large?
2 - Chattanooga - did not get it done when needed but still a good team; may get shafted for at large if they don’t get auto-bid
3 - Furman - theirs to lose apparently, but something must be done about how we cypher the auto-bid
4 - The Citadel - the Bulldogs are here for how they have finished, they may have lost to Wofford (early) but they have recovered sufficiently to pass the rat dogs, who are napping apparently
5 - Wofford - holds the destiny of the entire FCS world in their hands, too bad they have faltered
6 - Western Carolina - a lot of close ones and they are definitely better, but still searching for success
7 - Elon - Hey CAA, no refunds allowed

* Appalachian State - the only thing they have left is their pride and the Jug
* Georgia Southern - leaves the SOCON with a disappointing year

The Citadel @ Clemson - Dogs have not beaten the Tigers since 1931; they have played them decent the last few times out but the talent and depth of Clemson are just too great to even make this close; there are two primary points to consider: 1) Clemson could easily overlook the Dogs entirely and be thinking about USC; the last time they overlooked a team, BC made a game of it and then Clemson got smacked by Florida St. the following week, so I think they stay focused this time around 2) Clemson needs style points for the computers so they might hang as many as they can on the Dogs. The Dogs can control their scoring frenzy if they can sustain some drives, but after seeing Ga Tech get abused by their D, that will be tough - 56-10
Wofford @ Furman - The momentum is all with Furman and it is theirs to win; Wofford seems to have folded, but they could always surprise, otherwise... - 28-17
Georgia Southern @ Florida - Ga So won their first road game last week, they will not win another - 38-13
Chattanooga @ Alabama - I think Chatty gets a break here as Alabama will be looking ahead, taking it easy, staying healthy -still a romp but not what it could be if they put the pedal to the metal - 42-3
Western Carolina @ Appalachian State - I think almost everyone (except App St fans) are routing for the Cats to take the jug; it might have been close if played earlier, but now that App is playing better, I think it will not be close and after this year, the only way Western will ever get the Jug is if they steal it - 37-20
Elon@ Samford - Samford - the only thing Samford has to play for is another W, which lets Furman go instead of Chatty. How is that for incentive? But a win is a win and they might just pile for an at large statement - 42-13

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Furman 24 Wofford 14- injuries and nothing to play for has nothing left in the tank for Wofford
Samford 38 Elon 14- great win for the program because it gets them in the playoffs, but, will there be anyone there to help them celebrate?
App 35 Western 21- improved Western team, but Satterfield has finally stabilized the program, and things are turning around, standing room only crowd, and improving App team, too much for the upset.
Florida 31 GaSo 28, really tempted to call the upset, Florida's season is a disaster, Musfield and the team will spend the entire week answering questions about the season, and whether the coach will have a job, plus they will be looking ahead to Florida State, great time for GS to pull the upset.
Clemson 51 Citadel 10- Clemson's offense is as good as anyones in the country, probably can pick their number if they really want to.
Alabama 45 Chatt 3- bad time to play Bama, had their worst game of the year against Miss State, Saben will spend the entire week, abusing his team in practice, they are going to be pissed and really focused for this game

fc97
November 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM

to be fair, had you been fbs for that win, it would have virtually brought little publicity.

its a great win either way.

walliver
November 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
1) FU - Hot at the right time. Hopefully this changes this weekend.
2) Chatty - Yes, I know the outcome of the game, but still think Chatty is better than Sammy
3) Samford - see #2 above
4) Appy - moving in the right direction
5) The Citadel
6) Wofford - after not playing a first half for 5 weeks, team played well in first half, but forgot to return for the second half
7) GSU - Will take this year as a mulligan
8) WCU - broke the streak this year, but hasn't turned the corner yet
9) Elon - It's basketball season

Predictions:
Wofford at Furman - It will be a difficult challenge, but I never pick against my team with FCS competition. Football gods curse FU for tearing up their beautiful grass and putting down plastic as dogs win 23-21
Elon at Samford - Bama Pups win big 42-14
WCU at ASU - As much as Western want a win to keep the cup, ASU outmans them 31-24
The Citadel at Clemson - Could get ugly, but Tiggers looking ahead and Bullpups keep it close for a while. Clemson 35-21
GSU at Florida - UF not having a great year, but it is still UF. Gators win 42-10
Chattanooga at Alabama - Alabama isn't big on blow-outs but wins easily 35-3

Stetson at Mercer - A-Sun and PFL conference mates meet for likely their only time in this rivalry. Bears maul the Hatters 56-20
Bucknell at VMI - Keydets host the Bison, fortunately not those Bison, and finish the year with a 27-13 VMI loss.
Kennesaw State at ETSU - Bucs' next game is still a way off, but ETSU wins 31-28

Playoffs: FU and Chatty in. Samford probably needs a FU loss to get in, although if Liberty beats CSU badly, Sammy has a chance.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
2) Chatty - Yes, I know the outcome of the game, but still think Chatty is better than Sammy
5) The Citadel
6) Wofford - after not playing a first half for 5 weeks, team played well in first half, but forgot to return for the second half

Predictions:
Wofford at Furman - It will be a difficult challenge, but I never pick against my team with FCS competition. Football gods curse FU for tearing up their beautiful grass and putting down plastic as dogs win 23-21
WCU at ASU - As much as Western want a win to keep the cup, ASU outmans them 31-24
The Citadel at Clemson - Could get ugly, but Tiggers looking ahead and Bullpups keep it close for a while. Clemson 35-21
GSU at Florida - UF not having a great year, but it is still UF. Gators win 42-10

Stetson at Mercer - A-Sun and PFL conference mates meet for likely their only time in this rivalry. Bears maul the Hatters 56-20
Bucknell at VMI - Keydets host the Bison, fortunately not those Bison, and finish the year with a 27-13 VMI loss.
Kennesaw State at ETSU - Bucs' next game is still a way off, but ETSU wins 31-28

Playoffs: FU and Chatty in. Samford probably needs a FU loss to get in, although if Liberty beats CSU badly, Sammy has a chance.

I think your playoff predictions are inverse. UTC is in with a Furman loss (they'll be the auto). Samford will be in with a win at 8-4. I don't think UTC is in if Furman wins, as that will make UTC the third SoCon team (Furman the auto and Samford won head to head with a better resume).

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I'm interested to know, for those at the App/Wofford game, what happened? Sounds like App State just took over both sides of the ball after the half.

I'm not taking Wofford lightly at all. Our offense is not stellar, and the Terrier defense is one of the better ones we've seen. Still, Furman physically pushed around App State a few weeks ago and generally plays the option extremely well (GSU scored 14, Citadel 21).

walliver
November 18th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I'm interested to know, for those at the App/Wofford game, what happened? Sounds like App State just took over both sides of the ball after the half.

I'm not taking Wofford lightly at all. Our offense is not stellar, and the Terrier defense is one of the better ones we've seen. Still, Furman physically pushed around App State a few weeks ago and generally plays the option extremely well (GSU scored 14, Citadel 21).

Wofford's secondary couldn't control App receivers - playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and immediately dropping back an additional 10 probably contributed to that. Offensive line didn't get the job done in the second half, but played well in the first. Our offense has only played two complete games this year (GSU and PC). Also, our FB was injured late in the second quarter. Starting QB was banged up and left at the end of the 3d quarter, and the backup immediately fumbled on the next play, at our own 25.

citdog
November 18th, 2013, 02:28 PM
5) The Citadel

Predictions:

Need to reverse #'s 4 and 5.

http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Wofford's secondary couldn't control App receivers - playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and immediately dropping back an additional 10 probably contributed to that. Offensive line didn't get the job done in the second half, but played well in the first. Our offense has only played two complete games this year (GSU and PC). Also, our FB was injured late in the second quarter. Starting QB was banged up and left at the end of the 3d quarter, and the backup immediately fumbled on the next play, at our own 25.

I think a war of attrition this week favors Wofford. I don't expect a high scoring game either way. Furman will have to invoke their "option game plan," which is what I call going up two scores and hanging on for dear life.

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM
one more week

FAP FAP FAP

citdog
November 18th, 2013, 02:56 PM
FAP FAP FAP

one more time for old times sake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM
one more time for old times sake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

Hell Yeah! I have that as a ringtone. #evenwhentheweatheriscoldcoldcold

citdog
November 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM

solid as a rock and proud as a peacock

chattanoogamocs
November 18th, 2013, 03:26 PM

You know, every time I watch this, I can't get past the fact that someone hired a group of singers and a band to record that song...all it needed was THE Bruce Dickinson and more cowbell.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
You know, every time I watch this, I can't get past the fact that someone hired a group of singers and a band to record that song...all it needed was THE Bruce Dickinson and more cowbell.

That and who knows how many folks had to sign off on it.

Always important to remember that none of us is as dumb as all of us.

citdog
November 18th, 2013, 03:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyE5mqv5wk

ElCid
November 18th, 2013, 04:06 PM
5) The Citadel

Predictions:

I will always cheer my team on, and I will be there on Saturday in our end zone seats yelling my head off, but really, 35-21. I like it, but we need a banner day for that. We need to somehow figure out how to open it up a little or they are going to stuff us inside and outside. And I just can't see Dupree being that successful throwing against Clemson. Miller is ok throwing, but he can't scamper like Ben. I will be giddy if the score is that close.

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Doubt they actually hired anyone.

The dude with the epic sax solo around the :45 mark taught me an Intro to Jazz class. I would expect most of the people in the video were just student's and/or staff.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Doubt they actually hired anyone.

The dude with the epic sax solo around the :45 mark taught me an Intro to Jazz class. I would expect most of the people in the video were just student's and/or staff.

I'm not sure if that makes it better, or worse.

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure if that makes it better, or worse.

Ok.

longtimemocfan
November 18th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I think your playoff predictions are inverse. UTC is in with a Furman loss (they'll be the auto). Samford will be in with a win at 8-4. I don't think UTC is in if Furman wins, as that will make UTC the third SoCon team (Furman the auto and Samford won head to head with a better resume).

I'll agree with you head to head,but better resume ? Maybe. Not sure if the commitee goes by any rankings or not. Chattanooga is ranked just ahead in every poll except The Sagrin ratings if you want to include that one. I hope a lot gets sorted out by next weekend.

SU DOG
November 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM
I'll agree with you head to head,but better resume ? Maybe. Not sure if the commitee goes by any rankings or not. Chattanooga is ranked just ahead in every poll except The Sagrin ratings if you want to include that one. I hope a lot gets sorted out by next weekend.

Probably because UTC at the moment has one more win than Samford. Chances are very good that this will change after Saturday. We may lay an egg against Elon, which would eliminate us, but I am VERY sure that UTC will NOT beat Bama.

CID1990
November 18th, 2013, 06:00 PM
If we hang 21 on Clem's Son I'll march naked down King Street during the Charleston Easter Parade

DoWe
November 18th, 2013, 06:37 PM
The Furman poster is misleading with the "better resume" theory. If Furman beats Wofford and Samford beats Elon, Furman gets the auto-bid. The better resume at that point boils down to UTC loosing to Samford in week 11. Both UTC's and Samford's resumes are better than Furman's, but that won't stop Furman from getting a share of the SoCon and the auto-bid. It will however, likely put an 8 win SoCon team out of the playoffs because of Furman's resume. That's the skinny on the resume talk.

longtimemocfan
November 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Probably because UTC at the moment has one more win than Samford. Chances are very good that this will change after Saturday. We may lay an egg against Elon, which would eliminate us, but I am VERY sure that UTC will NOT beat Bama.

No style points for losing 49-3 or whatever it ends up. Now if we played them like Ga.Southern did a few years back it would be a different story.

ElCid
November 18th, 2013, 07:04 PM
If we hang 21 on Clem's Son I'll march naked down King Street during the Charleston Easter Parade

Not sure if that is an incentive for anyone, but might be interesting to see if anyone noticed these days.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 07:17 PM
The Furman poster is misleading with the "better resume" theory. If Furman beats Wofford and Samford beats Elon, Furman gets the auto-bid. The better resume at that point boils down to UTC loosing to Samford in week 11. Both UTC's and Samford's resumes are better than Furman's, but that won't stop Furman from getting a share of the SoCon and the auto-bid. It will however, likely put an 8 win SoCon team out of the playoffs because of Furman's resume. That's the skinny on the resume talk.

How exactly am I misleading? You opt to not address the argument, but instead attempt to form the argument concerning a point that has no bearing whatsoever.

Furman's resume is the least relevant thing in this discussion. If they beat Wofford, they will be 7-5. 7-5 teams routinely make the playoffs as the auto bid. If Furman had been able to play Georgia State, we'd likely be 8-4 too.

PaladinFan
November 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM
We talk about the incompetence of SoCon officials. I have video evidence.

Here's the condensed game from Furman/WCU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXTfLPvdPo

In that game, Furman's Ray Early had six field goals in seven attempts, a Furman record and tying the SoCon record. You can skip to the 10:40 second mark to see Early's lone miss, a ball that clearly was inside the goal post. The ref underneath the post makes no signal, looks to his comrade on the other side of the goal post and then makes the call that it was wide right.

I understand calls are missed, but it was as though the ref had no idea on who should even make a call as simple as "was it to the left or right of the post"

ElCid
November 18th, 2013, 08:30 PM
We talk about the incompetence of SoCon officials. I have video evidence.

Here's the condensed game from Furman/WCU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXTfLPvdPo

In that game, Furman's Ray Early had six field goals in seven attempts, a Furman record and tying the SoCon record. You can skip to the 10:40 second mark to see Early's lone miss, a ball that clearly was inside the goal post. The ref underneath the post makes no signal, looks to his comrade on the other side of the goal post and then makes the call that it was wide right.

I understand calls are missed, but it was as though the ref had no idea on who should even make a call as simple as "was it to the left or right of the post"

Wow, I have to say that I was all ready to see yet another mistake by SOCON officials but I have to tell you, I looked at it ten times just to be sure. The camera angle is off a bit. It is not plum with the post. It could very well been outside. The cameraman is clearly inbetween the upright and the center post making the angle off from plumb. He was not under the upright. I think it was outside. But there no way of telling from this video alone. I got no dog in this fight, just giving you my honest opinion.

DoWe
November 18th, 2013, 08:32 PM
How exactly am I misleading? You opt to not address the argument, but instead attempt to form the argument concerning a point that has no bearing whatsoever.

Furman's resume is the least relevant thing in this discussion. If they beat Wofford, they will be 7-5. 7-5 teams routinely make the playoffs as the auto bid. If Furman had been able to play Georgia State, we'd likely be 8-4 too.

This is the SoCon we are talking about. When the auto-bid goes to a 7-5 team with losses to GW and Elon, an 8 win SoCon team stays at home, but not to host a playoff game. Why is that not relevant?

SM/JSU
November 18th, 2013, 09:39 PM

UTC will need Furman and Samford to lose to get auto bid.

eaglewraith
November 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM

Actually if Samford loses and Furman wins, it's UTC. UTC and Furman finish with the same record and UTC has head to head. Furman needs Samford to win.

chattanoogamocs
November 18th, 2013, 10:08 PM

UTC just needs Samford to lose to get the autobid...if the Bulldogs lose and Furman wins, UTC won the head to head matchup with Furman.

chattanoogamocs
November 18th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Actually if Samford loses and Furman wins, it's UTC. UTC and Furman finish with the same record and UTC has head to head. Furman needs Samford to win.

Beat me to it. :)

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2013, 04:52 AM
This is the SoCon we are talking about. When the auto-bid goes to a 7-5 team with losses to GW and Elon, an 8 win SoCon team stays at home, but not to host a playoff game. Why is that not relevant?

It's not relevant because Furman's record will not matter if they are the auto bid. They do not get the bid on strength of schedule, but on being conference champs and winning the tie breakers.

If Furman loses on Saturday, there's no playoffs. If Samford loses on Saturday, Furman likely will not get the playoffs on the strength of their resume. To that end, Furman's resume really doesn't matter. All that matters is that they win the tiebreakers as set by the conference (really by virtue of beating the teams that beat UTC and Samford).

I cannot ameliorate the fact Furman lost to GWU and Elon. I can say that both of those games were entirely played with (different) true freshman backups at quarterback. In games Reese Hannon has started, Furman is 6-2 with losses at top 10 Coastal and LSU.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Wow, I have to say that I was all ready to see yet another mistake by SOCON officials but I have to tell you, I looked at it ten times just to be sure. The camera angle is off a bit. It is not plum with the post. It could very well been outside. The cameraman is clearly inbetween the upright and the center post making the angle off from plumb. He was not under the upright. I think it was outside. But there no way of telling from this video alone. I got no dog in this fight, just giving you my honest opinion.

What gets me is in or not, there's a ref standing directly underneath the pipe and he has no idea what to do. Call it correctly or call it incorrectly, but at least know you are the guy that has to call it.

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2013, 08:36 AM
solid as a rock and proud as a peacock

Yup. What's your problem?

SpeedkingATL
November 19th, 2013, 09:27 AM
The SoCon has a collective problem of losing a bunch of games to teams from conferences like the Big South that historically don't get a lot of playoff respect. Collectively this downgrades the SoCon, where a few years ago almost any SoCon team was in with 8 wins (unless Wuffed). Not a lot of quality OOC wins for the SoCon this year and a lot of losses considered poor ones.

walliver
November 19th, 2013, 10:07 AM
The SoCon has a collective problem of losing a bunch of games to teams from conferences like the Big South that historically don't get a lot of playoff respect. Collectively this downgrades the SoCon, where a few years ago almost any SoCon team was in with 8 wins (unless Wuffed). Not a lot of quality OOC wins for the SoCon this year and a lot of losses considered poor ones.

Historically, SoCon teams almost never lose to non-CCU Big South teams. Even this year, we can all come up with excuses for most BS losses (injured QB's, monsoons, dropped punts, difficult coaching transition, etc), but the real issue is that a lot of teams are just having down years. No head coaches will be fired, and with the possible exception of Samford and graduation of key players, every team in the SoCon, including the departing members will be better next year

This year, only FU has exceeded my expectations. I suspected they wouldn't be competitive until next year.
Sammy and Chatty ended up about where I expected. but Sammy's late season slump was a surprise.
Citadel's best team in 20 years wasn't.
I expected ASU and GSU to have 1 or 2 conference losses each, but not this.
Wofford has a bad year every 4 years (2001, 2005, 2009 and now 2013)
Western still has a ways to go.
Elon is the CAA's problem now.
Mercer will be competitive within 4 years.
ETSU has great opportunity.
VMI is VMI

Next year, things will once again be right with the world, but it will be hard to get SOS back to previous levels.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Historically, SoCon teams almost never lose to non-CCU Big South teams. Even this year, we can all come up with excuses for most BS losses (injured QB's, monsoons, dropped punts, difficult coaching transition, etc), but the real issue is that a lot of teams are just having down years. No head coaches will be fired, and with the possible exception of Samford and graduation of key players, every team in the SoCon, including the departing members will be better next year

This year, only FU has exceeded my expectations. I suspected they wouldn't be competitive until next year.
Sammy and Chatty ended up about where I expected. but Sammy's late season slump was a surprise.
Citadel's best team in 20 years wasn't.
I expected ASU and GSU to have 1 or 2 conference losses each, but not this.
Wofford has a bad year every 4 years (2001, 2005, 2009 and now 2013)
Western still has a ways to go.
Elon is the CAA's problem now.
Mercer will be competitive within 4 years.
ETSU has great opportunity.
VMI is VMI

Next year, things will once again be right with the world, but it will be hard to get SOS back to previous levels.

I agree with you, in large measure.

Furman, I think, has exceeded everyone's expectations. They got off the mat slowly, but have really turned it on late. Hard to make an argument for anyone other than Bruce Fowler to win coach of the year this season regardless of what happens against Wofford. If Furman wins that game, I think its a no brainer.

I expected Wofford to take a step back. Other's may disagree with me, but you just cannot lose perhaps the greatest player in your program's history (or at least recent memory) and not take a hit. They are not necessarily "down" so much as they just have a hard time replacing Britenstein's production. No shame in that, really (Furman is still looking for Felton's replacement).

UTC and Samford are in a hunt for the playoffs, which is where I thought they'd be.

ASU's record is certainly not expected, but I saw them squarely in the middle of the pack coming into this season (somewhere behind GSU and mixed in with Sam, Woff, UTC, and the Citadel).

GSU and the Citadel have disappointed, in my view. The Eagles cite to injuries, but frankly, Georgia Southern has such monumental recruiting advantages over every other SoCon team, they should still be at the top of the heap regardless of how a season plays out. The Citadel, it seems, just fell flat. Hard to explain it. I thought they were primed for the biggest jump of everyone.

I, like you, am excited to see what these new additions can do. Mercer had a phenomenal season. Competition's not great, but they were still a team full of freshman playing in a league with a bunch of established programs.

National perception is one thing, but I honestly think this is going to be a fun conference to watch in the coming years.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2013, 01:42 PM
This got posted over at our site from the SID through the SoCon office. I think this was everyone's understanding, but this makes it (sorta) official.

Regarding the automatic bid:

Current Standings:
UTC: 6-2
SAM: 5-2
FUR: 5-2

In a two-way tie with UTC-SAM, Samford wins AQ (head to head win)
In a two-way tie with UTC-FUR, Chattanooga wins AQ (head to head win)

If all three are tied at 6-2:
Furman would have to beat Wofford next weekend to make this all possible. Therefore, Wofford would be 4-4. That leaves

WOF: 4-4
CIT: 4-4
GSU:4-4

Against these three teams: UTC would be 2-1 (loss to GSU); SAM would be 2-1 (loss to CIT); FUR would be 3-0

Additionally, Appalachian State could beat WCU next Saturday and move to 4-4

GSU: 4-4
APP: 4-4

Against these four teams: UTC would be 3-1 (loss to GSU); SAM would be 3-1 (loss to CIT); FUR would be 4-0

SCPALADIN
November 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM
This got posted over at our site from the SID through the SoCon office. I think this was everyone's understanding, but this makes it (sorta) official.

Regarding the automatic bid:

Current Standings:
UTC: 6-2
SAM: 5-2
FUR: 5-2

In a two-way tie with UTC-SAM, Samford wins AQ (head to head win)
In a two-way tie with UTC-FUR, Chattanooga wins AQ (head to head win)

If all three are tied at 6-2:
Furman would have to beat Wofford next weekend to make this all possible. Therefore, Wofford would be 4-4. That leaves

GSU:4-4

Against these three teams: UTC would be 2-1 (loss to GSU); SAM would be 2-1 (loss to CIT); FUR would be 3-0

Additionally, Appalachian State could beat WCU next Saturday and move to 4-4

GSU: 4-4
APP: 4-4

Against these four teams: UTC would be 3-1 (loss to GSU); SAM would be 3-1 (loss to CIT); FUR would be 4-0
Resulting in Furman as the AQ for the SoCon.

Who would have thought that the Elon loss would end up with such little significance....

Sir William
November 19th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Looking at the above, a lot of people may complain about the SoCon methodology of the 3-way tiebreaker. It can be argued on both sides as to whether or not it's a good method. At the same time, any other methodology would have its flaws as well. Which leads me to two undebatable facts:

1) The above tiebreaker was decided by the conference with the blessing of SoCon members (either majority or unanimous) prior to the beginning of the season when everyone was 0-0; so in that sense, it is firmly equitable.

2) If a team wants to win the SoCon autobid without any tiebreaker involved, then all they have to do is go undefeated in conference play. It's as simple as that. Otherwise, you set yourself up for a potential tiebreaker (which you may possibly lose); and if so, you only have yourself to blame.

If the shoe was on the other foot (ie, Furman was in Chatty's shoes, etc), the above two facts would still ring true.

But just remember...we don't have a 3-way tie yet. Four more quarters of football to play, and then we will know for sure. Either way, congrats to Chatty, Samford and Furman for all being in contention at the end when it counts most!

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Looking at the above, a lot of people may complain about the SoCon methodology of the 3-way tiebreaker. It can be argued on both sides as to whether or not it's a good method. At the same time, any other methodology would have its flaws as well. Which leads me to two undebatable facts:

1) The above tiebreaker was decided by the conference with the blessing of SoCon members (either majority or unanimous) prior to the beginning of the season when everyone was 0-0; so in that sense, it is firmly equitable.

2) If a team wants to win the SoCon autobid without any tiebreaker involved, then all they have to do is go undefeated in conference play. It's as simple as that. Otherwise, you set yourself up for a potential tiebreaker (which you may possibly lose); and if so, you only have yourself to blame.

If the shoe was on the other foot (ie, Furman was in Chatty's shoes, etc), the above two facts would still ring true.

But just remember...we don't have a 3-way tie yet. Four more quarters of football to play, and then we will know for sure. Either way, congrats to Chatty, Samford and Furman for all being in contention at the end when it counts most!

I don't have the slightest heartburn. Under this scenario, three teams are 6-2. The logical first tiebreaker is always "well, did you beat the other guy." That gets nowhere. After that it kind of becomes a hodgepodge.

The idea that the tie breaker is decided on the field looking at how each team compares to the best conference competition, to me, is the best way to do it. Other ideas, such as points scored or allowed, favors some teams more than others, and are subject to more factors than winning. It sure enough is more fair than a coin flip.

Furman did what it had to do to get in the position its in. I've seen the Paladins lose more than my fair share of heartbreaking football games (and may endure another on Saturday), so I take all of this as the football gods just balancing things out. We've been horridly unlucky at times, and perhaps now lady lucky smiles upon us.

ElCid
November 19th, 2013, 08:02 PM
GSU and the Citadel have disappointed, in my view. The Eagles cite to injuries, but frankly, Georgia Southern has such monumental recruiting advantages over every other SoCon team, they should still be at the top of the heap regardless of how a season plays out. The Citadel, it seems, just fell flat. Hard to explain it. I thought they were primed for the biggest jump of everyone.

I think it is easy to explain but hard to understand. It was a perfect storm of distractions. First we lose our All American Center, then a couple of others due to injuries or dissatisfaction. Then some cadet disciplinary issues among some team leaders. There...the stage is set. Emotions are all over the place. First game out we get a easy opponent in Chuck South. We can experiment a little, get warmed up, but no real issue. Only problem was, we muffed it and they were not cooperating and decided to win the game on us. It was like the season got pissed away in one horrible Saturday evening. The Dogs got shocked and fell apart. They slept through Wofford. Skated through Western like they were good and almost blew it. Finally woke up at ODU. I thought wow, that was a good loss, like so many fans did. Only problem was there is no such thing and I think that close heartbreaking loss hurt them. They thought they had an easy win in Furman considering how the Paladins had played to date and got slapped again. Finally, the OT win over App allowed them to turn the corner. But they had Ga So and UTC to deal with. They did OK against both but lost to UTC in the last 2 minutes and that might have hurt them permanently this season, but they turned the next corner by recovering and won three straight to end their FCS schedule. A little late to do anything but be a spoiler but they fought til the end. We lose some key people next year like Dupree and Robinson, a couple on D and our kicker. The O line was deep this year with lots of reps by the backups so I think we will not be too inexperienced. Losing Dupree will hurt, but Miller is not a bad QB. He has had a lot of experience the last three years.

But yes, it was a little disappointing, but they did respectable in the end.

blueballs
November 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
The GSU post game show stated that GSU dressed 52 scholarship players against Elon of which 29 were freshmen or RS freshmen. That should tell you everything you need to know.

No McKinnon, no Swope, no Hunt, no Banks, no Brown, no Mention, no Flowe, no Williams, and I could go on but you get the picture.

walliver
November 20th, 2013, 02:35 PM
The GSU post game show stated that GSU dressed 52 scholarship players against Elon of which 29 were freshmen or RS freshmen. That should tell you everything you need to know.

No McKinnon, no Swope, no Hunt, no Banks, no Brown, no Mention, no Flowe, no Williams, and I could go on but you get the picture.

Those extra FBS scholarships didn't help much did they.:D no offense intended

It is strange how teams just sometimes have those kinds of years. Hopefully everybody will be healthy next year. Eagle fans would be suicidal if they lose to Georgia State.

blueballs
November 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Those extra FBS scholarships didn't help much did they.:D no offense intended

It is strange how teams just sometimes have those kinds of years. Hopefully everybody will be healthy next year. Eagle fans would be suicidal if they lose to Georgia State.

Ain't it though??? You guys had it in 2009...

I'm worried this coming weekend is going to get real ugly for GSU.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I like that Furman's marketing this week's game as the "SoCon Championship Game"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtoZB00ztQU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2013, 03:21 PM
We apparently dressed 49 players at Wofford. Not sure on the breakdown by class... but, we certainly are playing a lot of freshmen and sophomores this year.

Future looks bright despite this mediocre season

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQIi77XsyM

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2013, 08:05 AM
Did not realize this until going over the game notes.

This is the 87th meeting between Furman and Wofford (dating back to 1896). Furman is 31-10-5 against the Terriers in Greenville, and 9-2-1 at Paladin Stadium.

Even more bad news for the Terriers. Rain in the forecast for Saturday.

OL FU
November 21st, 2013, 09:12 AM

This is the 87th meeting between Furman and Wofford (dating back to 1896). Furman is 31-10-5 against the Terriers in Greenville, and 9-2-1 at Paladin Stadium.

Bad news for me too. I hate being cold and wet.:o

walliver
November 21st, 2013, 09:24 AM

Now that y'all play on a plastic lacrosse field, rain shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Rain tends to work against us late in the season on grass (which is starting to die off) because of a lack of footing. It should be much less of an issue on FieldTurf.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM
Now that y'all play on a plastic lacrosse field, rain shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Rain tends to work against us late in the season on grass (which is starting to die off) because of a lack of footing. It should be much less of an issue on FieldTurf.

It's microfilament (whatever that is).

Speaking of fields, and no smack intended, what exactly was Wofford thinking with their mid-field design this year? For such a classic uniform set, and a formerly classic lettermark on the field, this year's design looks like a daggum pokemon character or something out of angry birds. Whose idea was that?

walliver
November 21st, 2013, 10:02 AM
It's microfilament (whatever that is).

Speaking of fields, and no smack intended, what exactly was Wofford thinking with their mid-field design this year? For such a classic uniform set, and a formerly classic lettermark on the field, this year's design looks like a daggum pokemon character or something out of angry birds. Whose idea was that?

It's a logo that looks good an a computer monitor with the right background, but doesn't translate well at all to grass. Hopefully we will go back to the W next year.

It think it's the same people who put up purple window-shades and tried to claim they were lilac.

ASUMountaineer
November 21st, 2013, 10:09 AM
It's a logo that looks good an a computer monitor with the right background, but doesn't translate well at all to grass. Hopefully we will go back to the W next year.

It think it's the same people who put up purple window-shades and tried to claim they were lilac.

It looks better than it did. Two years ago, it didn't have the black background. From the "visitor" side, it looked like...well, a "twig and berries."

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/314354_968697056468_1842081007_n.jpg

walliver
November 21st, 2013, 10:21 AM
It looks better than it did. Two years ago, it didn't have the black background. From the "visitor" side, it looked like...well, a "twig and berries."

Maybe it was planned that way:D. Our two previous seasons we had the cajones to get away with it.

ASUMountaineer
November 21st, 2013, 10:44 AM
Maybe it was planned that way:D. Our two previous seasons we had the cajones to get away with it.

xlolx xsmileyclapx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 24th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Georgia Southern @ Florida (Upset Special of the Week, yes I am going there) - Gators lose to a team nobody in the SEC is supposed to lose to.

I have reason to believe I may have been the first one on here to call this one.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 24th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I have reason to believe I may have been the first one on here to call this one.

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

But seriously, what were you thinking? xeyebrowx

CID1990
November 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I called the ASU win over Michigan because I really felt AE and company could catch UM napping, and they did.

I never expected GSU to beat Florida though- the Gators were weak enough that they should have been wary of the Eagles, but I guess they figured they could just show up and beat GSU anyway.

Very surprising but also a very welcome win, the Swamp is a rough place to play no matter how good or bad the Gators might be.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 25th, 2013, 08:59 PM
xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

But seriously, what were you thinking? xeyebrowx

Florida was pretty banged up offensively and defensively. They started Skyler Mornhinweg (last name familiar, it should) at quarterback. Mornhinweg is quite possibly one of the worst quarterbacks in the SEC (his daddy was quite possibly one of the worst head coaches in the NFL, apple don't far from the tree). One thing of note in the past few years is that Florida had a tendency to self-destruct near the end of the season (especially since Tebow graduated). They got lucky last season but this season not so much. Here's hoping Muschamp stays at Florida long enough for him to get Butch-slapped.

seantaylor
November 26th, 2013, 01:53 AM
And GSU has twice the amount of injuries. Swope is a far better player than anyone on Florida.