PDA

View Full Version : No one is talking about Fordham Lafayette?

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Lafayette leads 17-7 at halftime.

Does Fordham make the playoffs if they lose their last 2 games?

rokamortis
November 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Lafayette leads 17-7 at halftime.

Does Fordham make the playoffs if they lose their last 2 games?

Probably, but may be on the bubble.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Game threads are on the Lafayette Board (http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/about2638.html) and on the Fordham Board (http://fordhamfans.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,7266.0.html).

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 04:10 PM
They are banged up a bit (Nebrich their QB most importantly)....but I'm not altogether surprised, picked the Pards to win this actually.

Fordham is coming back to Earth to an extent...I think they're in regardless but they aren't a Top 10/seeded team imo.

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 04:13 PM
They are banged up a bit (Nebrich their QB most importantly)....but I'm not altogether surprised, picked the Pards to win this actually.

Fordham is coming back to Earth to an extent...I think they're in regardless but they aren't a Top 10/seeded team imo.

Why? At 10-2 they may not make it, especially 0-2 going into selection sunday, not to mention 3-6 lafayette and 4-7 colgate are (hypothetical) HORRENDOUS losses. Lehigh couldn't make it at 10-1.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Maybe not seeded but they're a top 10 team, IMHO.

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Not the way they've played the last month they aren't....

SingForever
November 16th, 2013, 04:19 PM

also picked Lafayette to win. I spoke last week about Fordham not being a Top 10 team and I caught hell for it. If Lafayette hangs on it looks like I was right. I know Nebrich is out but I didn't think they were a top 10 team before he got huirt - 15th would be about it.i

ColgateTD
November 16th, 2013, 04:36 PM
There's no way they are going to lose to Colgate next week.

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 04:42 PM
There's no way they are going to lose to Colgate next week.

Agreed...I'm shocked that Colgate won at Lafayette....

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM
24-7 End of 3....can the Rams pull this one out of their hat? Going to be tough without Nebrich.

How schizo are the Pards?

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Sucks that Fordham may lose this but even with their back up, they should be able to win this game with their talent at other positions IMO

hebmskebm
November 16th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Nebrich makes their offense go. Without him they're very ordinary. The good news for them is that he dressed for this game, which hopefully portends to him being ready to go next week.

SingForever
November 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Nebrich makes their offense go. Without him they're very ordinary. The good news for them is that he dressed for this game, which hopefully portends to him being ready to go next week.Fordham never did have a decent defense.

FordhamFan
November 16th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Good for the Pards. They won this game. Nebrich should definitely be back next week, and with him, I don't see there being another hiccup.

Man this really sucks. Can't hate on Maetzolds effort. Kid had some tough breaks on balls being tipped right to Lafayette defenders.

If you told me before the year that Fordham would have a win and you're in scenario heading into the last game of the year, I'd have been ecstatic. They have that and I have full confidence they'll win up in Hamilton.

Just a really tough one to swallow with 5 turnovers. That's not the Fordham team that climbed up to top 5.

Good for Lafayette though. Tough MF'ers.

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Good for the Pards. They won this game. Nebrich should definitely be back next week, and with him, I don't see there being another hiccup.

Man this really sucks. Can't hate on Maetzolds effort. Kid had some tough breaks on balls being tipped right to Lafayette defenders.

If you told me before the year that Fordham would have a win and you're in scenario heading into the last game of the year, I'd have been ecstatic. They have that and I have full confidence they'll win up in Hamilton.

Just a really tough one to swallow with 5 turnovers. That's not the Fordham team that climbed up to top 5.

Good for Lafayette though. Tough MF'ers.

Probably helps Fordham that Colgate lost today. Fordham will have much more to play for next week.

Fordham
November 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Just got back from the game. Congrats Pards. Score was not indicative of how lopsided this game was. Could have been worse.

LC frosh QB outstanding. Better than Pujols from what I saw of both. Really composed, good feet and arm. TB was great today too as was the entire LB corps and #58 on kickoff coverage was a beast.

Surprised and disappointed at how much Of a different team we were without Nebrich. Hope he's back or we may not make the playoffs.

Well done Pards.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Agreed...I'm shocked that Colgate won at Lafayette....

Why? Frank Tavani is our coach and he was playing Colgate, coached by Dick Biddle. The end.

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Why? Frank Tavani is our coach and he was playing Colgate, coached by Dick Biddle. The end.

No disrespect to Gate who is beat up etc but I thought the Lafayette team I saw at Fitton was the best overall team (offense, defense, special teams etc) I saw in the PL (including Fordham) all year.

It would have been a different game with Nebrich no doubt, but I think Lafayette may still win that game.

Fordham is very good but they aren't "dominant good" imo even with Nebrich. They are similar to Princeton and Harvard...very good teams but not quite at the level of a Towson, Maine, William&Mary etc week-in, week-out.

Go...gate
November 16th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Congratulations to Lafayette on a great win. Excepting Holy Cross in 1988, is that the highest-ranked I-AA club Lafayette has beaten?

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Congratulations to Lafayette on a great win. Excepting Holy Cross in 1988, is that the highest-ranked I-AA club Lafayette has beaten?

According to the game announcers, it was the highest ranked team ever beaten at Fisher Field. In all of history? No. Beating Penn way back when they were #1 in all of football was was the apex.

Of course beating Lehigh, no matter what their ranking, doesn't count cuz they suck. Always.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2013, 08:54 PM

#1 Pennsylvania is 1896.

But the announcer today said that today that it was the highest ranked team the Pards had defeated at Fisher. And yes, my first thought was 'not Holy Cross 1988?'

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Congrats to the Pards on a big win!

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 09:18 PM
#1 Pennsylvania is 1896.

But the announcer today said that today that it was the highest ranked team the Pards had defeated at Fisher. And yes, my first thought was 'not Holy Cross 1988?'

We kind of stumbled out of the gate in 1988 (the poet in me)...just checked, we blew out URI in the opener 49-7, then lost handily at Army 23-3 (having beaten them the previous two years). So I don't think we were ranked that high (Top 5 anyway) going into the Lafayette game at Easton the next week.

Actually, after losing to Lafayette, if not for a miraculous/Cal-Stanford kickoff return, HC would have lost to Princeton the following week to go 1-3. Thankfully, miracles do happen and HC won the last 8 games to go 9-2 that year.

1988: 9-2-0

Coach:

Mark Duffner

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

W

09-03-1988

Rhode Island

Worcester, MA

L

09-10-1988

Army (NY)

West Point, NY

L

09-17-1988

Lafayette (PA)

Easton, PA

W

09-24-1988

Princeton (NJ)

Princeton, NJ

W

10-01-1988

Harvard (MA)

Worcester, MA

W

10-08-1988

Dartmouth (NH)

Worcester, MA

W

10-15-1988

Lehigh (PA)

Worcester, MA

W

10-22-1988

Brown (RI)

Providence, RI

W

10-29-1988

Colgate (NY)

Hamilton, NY

W

11-12-1988

Bucknell (PA)

Worcester, MA

W

11-19-1988

Northeastern (MA)

Worcester, MA

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Was there a blizzard in Hamilton on 10/29/88? There had to be...

Sure wasn't one today! Holy CNY Cow was it nice!

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Was there a blizzard in Hamilton on 10/29/88? There had to be...

Sure wasn't one today! Holy CNY Cow was it nice!

Global warming has its benefits after all... making Colgate vulnerable. Add Dick Biddle to the climate change 'species adversely effected' list...

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Forgot to gloat, per Lafayette board instructions...

xeekx xbopxxhurrayxxhypedxxawesomexxawesomexxawesomexxaw esomexxawesomexxawesomexxawesomexxawesomexxawesome x

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure Fordham is out of the running for a bye given what happened today. A 11-1 record with a strong finish against Colgate will stack up nicely imo. Fordham is not the only team "struggling" right now. Lots of chaos in the Top 25 today....

Go...gate
November 16th, 2013, 09:45 PM
We kind of stumbled out of the gate in 1988 (the poet in me)...just checked, we blew out URI in the opener 49-7, then lost handily at Army 23-3 (having beaten them the previous two years). So I don't think we were ranked that high (Top 5 anyway) going into the Lafayette game at Easton the next week.

Actually, after losing to Lafayette, if not for a miraculous/Cal-Stanford kickoff return, HC would have lost to Princeton the following week to go 1-3. Thankfully, miracles do happen and HC won the last 8 games to go 9-2 that year.

1988: 9-2-0

Coach:

Mark Duffner

W/L

Date

PF

Opponent

PA

Notes

W

09-03-1988

Rhode Island

Worcester, MA

L

09-10-1988

Army (NY)

West Point, NY

L

09-17-1988

Lafayette (PA)

Easton, PA

W

09-24-1988

Princeton (NJ)

Princeton, NJ

W

10-01-1988

Harvard (MA)

Worcester, MA

W

10-08-1988

Dartmouth (NH)

Worcester, MA

W

10-15-1988

Lehigh (PA)

Worcester, MA

W

10-22-1988

Brown (RI)

Providence, RI

W

10-29-1988

Colgate (NY)

Hamilton, NY

W

11-12-1988

Bucknell (PA)

Worcester, MA

W

11-19-1988

Northeastern (MA)

Worcester, MA

I believe the Army team HC lost to went on to the Sun Bowl, where they lost a close game to Alabama. HC was awesome in that period.

Colgate finished 2-9 that year. Mike Foley had replaced Fred Dunlap as Head Coach. and inherited a very young team. 1988 was the beginning of a long slide for Colgate Football that would see seven losing seasons in eight years, culminating in an 0-11 record in 1995.

JoltinJoe
November 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM
No disrespect to Gate who is beat up etc but I thought the Lafayette team I saw at Fitton was the best overall team (offense, defense, special teams etc) I saw in the PL (including Fordham) all year.It would have been a different game with Nebrich no doubt, but I think Lafayette may still win that game.Fordham is very good but they aren't "dominant good" imo even with Nebrich. They are similar to Princeton and Harvard...very good teams but not quite at the level of a Towson, Maine, William&Mary etc week-in, week-out.Your credibility is completely shot.

HC is lucky they caught Fordham coming off a bye week and thus the Crusaders were able to jump to a 23-7 lead. But Fordham got their game legs back midway through the second quarter and blew the Crusaders out, 25-7, the rest of the way.

Even when we were down 23-7, I knew we would win the game because we were dominating statistically and hurting ourselves with sloppy turnovers in HC territory.

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Your credibility is completely shot.

Maybe so but I've seen Towson and Fordham this year.....Fordham (with a healthy Nebrich) loses to them 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Fordham has a good team but they aren't at the same level of the very best teams from the strongest conferences (CAA, Missouri Valley, Big Sky etc.)....they simply don't have the overall depth, defense etc that those teams have.

ColgateTD
November 16th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Congrats 'Pards on taking down the Rams. Good luck in the 149th..

hebmskebm
November 16th, 2013, 10:23 PM
An 11-1 Fordham with an FBS win should easily grab the 7 or 8 seed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Maybe so but I've seen Towson and Fordham this year.....Fordham (with a healthy Nebrich) loses to them 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Fordham has a good team but they aren't at the same level of the very best teams from the strongest conferences (CAA, Missouri Valley, Big Sky etc.)....they simply don't have the overall depth, defense etc that those teams have.

Fordham would be the second best team in the BSC this year....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 10:25 PM

I agree!

LFN is right, far too many PL fans have Stockholm Syndrome. Pay attention to the rest of the country folks :p

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Pay attention to the rest of the country folks

Why? It's not like they count or anything. :)

This is OUR time of the year.

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Fordham would be the second best team in the BSC this year....

Better than 2 out of E. Washington, Montana or Montana St???

I disagree....I know I'm coming off douchey by questioning my Jesuit cousins, but I just don't think they are Top 10 good. The Rams are having a great season and hopefully Nebrich returns and does so well in the playoffs that I'll eat a lot of crow here...until then, I think Fordham (when healthy) is somewhere in the best 10-25 FCS teams....which is pretty damn good.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 10:37 PM

I disagree....I know I'm coming off douchey by questioning my Jesuit cousins, but I just don't think they are Top 10 good. The Rams are having a great season and hopefully Nebrich returns and does so well in the playoffs that I'll eat a lot of crow here...until then, I think Fordham (when healthy) is somewhere in the best 10-25 FCS teams....which is pretty damn good.

They are definitely better than Montana State. They have more athletes than the Bobcats and Nebrich is better than McGhee. The 'Griz are tough but once again, speed an athleticism. NAU would be close....

EWU is WAY better than any of these teams. The Montana schools are receiving cred in the polls based on history/reputation. I'm not hating on my state-mates, just being honest...

The better PL teams, usually, are more athletic than they are given credit. That and offensive scheme are the two biggest reasons why Lehigh has been able notch wins against the CAA and in the playoffs the last 15 years. They don't get run off the field. This also the reason why Colgate does get run off the field. Lafayette's teams in the mid 2000's were both big AND athletic.

Sader87
November 16th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Again, Fordham is having a good season, but let's face it, if they had to play a CAA, Big Sky or Missouri Valley Conference schedule they wouldn't be 10-1 right now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Again, Fordham is having a good season, but let's face it, if they had to play a CAA, Big Sky or Missouri Valley Conference schedule they wouldn't be 10-1 right now.

The unbalance schedules in these conferences make it difficult to gauge. If Fordham had SUU's BSC conference schedule (w/keeping their OOC, URI, Temple etc...) the Rams would be 10-1 imo.

@ Sacramento State 5-6
@ Northern Colorado 1-10
UC Davis 4-7
Portland State 6-5
@ EWU 9-2
Idaho State 3-8
@ Weber State 1-10
@ Montana State 7-4
NAU 8-2

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2013, 06:12 AM

Agreed and yes I too picked the schizo Pards to win yesterday too. Glad I made the trip to Easton!

Fordham
November 17th, 2013, 06:24 AM

for my money, the douchey-ness is not from statements like this one which is a fine take for anyone to have. It's more so from the over seemingly-alchool-induced, over-the-top-ripping in your post game comments on our board which had some carry-over here. The pattern I've noticed from you is douchey ... get challenged ... back off to appear reasonable.

Changing topics, I have to again say how envious I am of the facilities at LC. Just really, really amazing. It is the absolute perfect stadium imo for our level of play.

JoltinJoe
November 17th, 2013, 06:49 AM
for my money, the douchey-ness is not from statements like this one which is a fine take for anyone to have. It's more so from the over seemingly-alchool-induced, over-the-top-ripping in your post game comments on our board which had some carry-over here. The pattern I've noticed from you is douchey ... get challenged ... back off to appear reasonable.

Changing topics, I have to again say how envious I am of the facilities at LC. Just really, really amazing. It is the absolute perfect stadium imo for our level of play.

Exactly.

But the playoffs are coming up and we'll see. I think Fordham with Nebrich at QB can bring it to any team in the country.

Lafayette has a great program: great facility and a fine program which brings top student-athletes to play every week. They needed to win this game and they made the plays when they had to.

TigerFen
November 17th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I would say probably they get in, but it gets tricky here on where you put the. After today's loss, I would put them at home (depending on whether they bid for it) in a first round game and put in a Youngstown state or Towson as the 7th and 8th seeds respectively.

Engineer86
November 17th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Only place where I have stood in a line of more than 10 guys to get to a toilet (no I do not mean LC itself):D In my mind the video screen is all it has going for it.

Lehigh'98
November 17th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I would say probably they get in, but it gets tricky here on where you put the. After today's loss, I would put them at home (depending on whether they bid for it) in a first round game and put in a Youngstown state or Towson as the 7th and 8th seeds respectively.

I'm sorry, what has Youngstown done to earn a seed? If they lose to SDSU next week, they may not even make the playoffs. Towson I can buy, but remember Fordham was missing their QB yesterday and if they win next week probably deserve a 7th or 8th seed.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I'm sorry, what has Youngstown done to earn a seed? If they lose to SDSU next week, they may not even make the playoffs. Towson I can buy, but remember Fordham was missing their QB yesterday and if they win next week probably deserve a 7th or 8th seed.

I keep asking myself: who is more worthy of the playoffs, an 8-4 Youngstown team or a 7-5 UNI?

Gonna be interesting in regards to the seed. I think Lehigh beating Lafayette would help Fordham's cause. Why? Because if Lafayette and Fordham win this weekend, in the hypothetical PL championship would be a co-championship with Lafayette and Fordham, with Lafayette winning the head-to-head matchup. If Lehigh and Fordham win, Fordham wins the mythical Patriot League championship straight up.

I could see this being a factor in the seeding.

Lehigh'98
November 17th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I keep asking myself: who is more worthy of the playoffs, an 8-4 Youngstown team or a 7-5 UNI?

Gonna be interesting in regards to the seed. I think Lehigh beating Lafayette would help Fordham's cause. Why? Because if Lafayette and Fordham win this weekend, in the hypothetical PL championship would be a co-championship with Lafayette and Fordham, with Lafayette winning the head-to-head matchup. If Lehigh and Fordham win, Fordham wins the mythical Patriot League championship straight up.

I could see this being a factor in the seeding.

I'd easily put UNI in over 8-4 YSU. UNI OOC = great...... YSU OOC = Terrible. UNI has H2H win as well.

RabidRabbit
November 17th, 2013, 09:56 AM

Yes, unless YSU wins the SDSU game, they're not even the #2 team in the Valley. Win against the Rabbits, then it can be discussed if YSU is better than an 11-1 Fordham. Having the chance to catch the Fordham/Lehigh game live, I'd put Fordham into the EIU of 2012 quality team. Once they run into a defensive minded team, they'll be packed home early. However, with a FBS & a 'Nova win, Rams played a tough enough schedule to warrant a seed at 11-1. At 10-2, and two losses at the end to substantially lower rated opponents, Fordham will be a first round team.

CHIP72
November 17th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Does Fordham actually make the playoffs at 10-2? Their FBS win was against a Temple team that has one win this season, and though Villanova is a good team, they are still only 5-5 on the season (hopefully 6-5 after they spank Delaware in the Battle of the Blue next week :)).

TigerFen
November 17th, 2013, 10:07 AM

My Mistake on this I meant to say Northern Arizona as a second place team deserving of a 8 seed. Fordham can still get the 7th or 8th seed with a win. I don't think they're QB will be back next week. Patriot League is also not as highly thought of as say the Big Sky or CAA is. That can play a role in playoff seeding and selection also.

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM

Thanks Fordham. Spent some time visiting with Fordham folks at halftime (I like to watch the visiitng teams come out from the locker room) and at March Field after the game - wished them well in the playoffs as I would like to see the invite extended.

FordhamFan
November 17th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I agree with Fordham, I was blown away by LC's facilities. Perfect football set up. Great little stadium, football house right near the field. If I'm a student athlete, Lafayette education and those facilities are pretty good looking to me.