PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Voters-Need your opinion on final vote

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Should the final poll this year be released before our normal deadline? It really doesn't matter a lot to me but figured I'd see what you voters thought on this matter?

This is just a simple yes or no vote but you can place suggestions here for how to do this if a yes vote wins.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I'd like some input on this so vote and comment please if you have suggestions on the matter. Helps to bump it up once in a while for guys like me that stick to the "new posts" option.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2013, 07:42 PM
What would be the benefits of voting early? Not saying there's something wrong with it, I'm simply curious what the reasoning behind this would be.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Is this being asked so the poll could be closed by the time playoff selections are announced so certain people can't claim AGS voters were influenced by the playoff selections when the AGS poll is once again validated as the most accurate FCS poll/rating by the playoff committee?

Mr. C
November 14th, 2013, 08:18 PM
The only reason that we ever moved up the vote when I administered The Sports Network poll was that the NCAA required that information before the NCAA Division I Football Committee released its brackets. We had a contract that I had to sign that said we would get them that information by a certain time. In the case of the AGS poll, you will get more people voting if you leave it at its normal deadline. No real reason to move IMO.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Is this being asked so the poll could be closed by the time playoff selections are announced so certain people can't claim AGS voters were influenced by the playoff selections when the AGS poll is once again validated as the most accurate FCS poll/rating by the playoff committee?

Exactly, wanted to see what people thought. It's not about having it done for any other uses or anything. Wanted to see what you guys all thought.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2013, 09:01 PM
The only reason that we ever moved up the vote when I administered The Sports Network poll was that the NCAA required that information before the NCAA Division I Football Committee released its brackets. We had a contract that I had to sign that said we would get them that information by a certain time. In the case of the AGS poll, you will get more people voting if you leave it at its normal deadline. No real reason to move IMO.

Yes, agreed with the number of voters etc. so wanted to check and see if it was something they group thought was of any value.

Southern Bison
November 14th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Based upon the NCAA website, the Selection Show on ESPNU comes on at 11:30 am on 11/24. I would suggest that it is closed no later than 11 am to maintain the credibility of the AGS Poll.

Tribal
November 14th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I voted yes merely because I'm all about getting stuff knocked out. I easily lose focus. xnutsx

IBleedYellow
November 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I voted no because I will most likely be at my hunting cabin until Sunday night and won't be able to vote until then.

It'd suck to lose poll perfection due to that...

Southern Bison
November 14th, 2013, 10:35 PM
I voted no because I will most likely be at my hunting cabin until Sunday night and won't be able to vote until then.

Priorities, Man!! :D

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Good point and a valid concern. I think a workaround could be came up for this pretty easily. For instance a pre-selection cutoff for those that can and want to participate and then just leave the poll open until the regular time for those that can not make that deadline.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Wait a minute! Haven't you been posting from a tree stand!

jmufan999
November 15th, 2013, 07:02 AM
i say yes so that AGS voters aren't influenced by the playoff bracket. can't really see a downside to releasing it early.

IBleedYellow
November 15th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Wait a minute! Haven't you been posting from a tree stand!

Treestand =! Hunting Cabin :D

I'd make it work if I had an early deadline, but still I prefer to be able to do my research an polling on a computer vs my smartphone.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2013, 11:04 AM
i say yes so that AGS voters aren't influenced by the playoff bracket. can't really see a downside to releasing it early.

Yeah, I did a separation of the votes last year as far as pre selection and post and the voters after the selection committee released voted further away rather than closer to what the selection committee did but.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Based upon the NCAA website, the Selection Show on ESPNU comes on at 11:30 am on 11/24. I would suggest that it is closed no later than 11 am to maintain the credibility of the AGS Poll.

I'm assuming this is Eastern correct? What I propose to do is shut the poll off at 10a Eastern on Sunday then for those that can and want to vote prior to the Selection Show. I will then open it back up at about Noon ET for the stragglers that couldn't do it and leave it open until regular hours for those that couldn't get it done and post the additional augmentation separately from the first version which will come out around 10:30-11a EST.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 11:47 AM
Ok, the voters have spoken. The AGS Poll will close on Sunday 11/24 at 10:30 Eastern and the results will calculated and published by 11a Eastern.

The poll will then reopen at 1p Eastern time for an augmented poll of those who could not cast their ballots by the early closing time and will remain open until the usual time on Monday 11/25.

You get to vote ONCE. Either prior to the Selection Show or post Selection Show.

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
I vote yes because I think the selections have an impact on how people vote, even if only marginally. Although, at the end of the day, if our poll is not going to impact the selection committee at all, then it's hard to see why it would make any difference, especially if it means we have many fewer people voting.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 01:28 PM
I vote yes because I think the selections have an impact on how people vote, even if only marginally. Although, at the end of the day, if our poll is not going to impact the selection committee at all, then it's hard to see why it would make any difference, especially if it means we have many fewer people voting.

It will be cutoff and published and then reopened so I don't know why there would be less people overall.

It's not about whether or not it impacts the selection committee. It's about people believing that the selection committee decisions impact the voters in the poll even though I've shown that it did not. You even mentioned that it should be done that if it impacts even marginally so it's about the percieved integrity of it for me.

IBleedYellow
November 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
Will you take into consideration the polls after the selection comm makes their announcement as well?

Also: this won't kill people for PP, correct?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2013, 03:04 PM
Will you take into consideration the polls after the selection comm makes their announcement as well?

Also: this won't kill people for PP, correct?

I'm not being clear apparently and want all voters to understand this point so glad you asked. If you vote in this poll in either the pre or post selection show version it absolutely will not affect your wonderful efforts toward Poll Perfection.

I will publish both versions of the poll. The pre-selection version Sunday morning at about 11a ET and the post selection group at the regularly scheduled time.

As long as a voter casts a vote by the normal deadline there is no consequence in any way associated with this modification of the norm.xthumbsupx

I will also be sending out a mass email shortly so anyone getting the information here can just ignore that cuz it says the same thing.