PDA

View Full Version : 2014 SoCon schedules

catamount man
November 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
With the conference adding VMI and Mercer for 2014 football, so far looks like the schedules will wind up the same as this year. Here is what I know, based on reliable bartenders and news clippings, Western Carolina will host, again, both Wofford and The Citadel in 2014 and go to Mercer. VMI will also come to Cullowhee Nov 15. I would assume to balance things out, the cats will go back to Chattanooga. Don't know where we will face Furman yet.

Home - VMI, Wofford, The Citadel
Road - Mercer, (assume - UTC, Furman, Samford)

The Furman folks ain't happy about 2 in a row at EL CID. GO CATS!

walliver
November 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
With the conference adding VMI and Mercer for 2014 football, so far looks like the schedules will wind up the same as this year. Here is what I know, based on reliable bartenders and news clippings, Western Carolina will host, again, both Wofford and The Citadel in 2014 and go to Mercer. VMI will also come to Cullowhee Nov 15. I would assume to balance things out, the cats will go back to Chattanooga. Don't know where we will face Furman yet.

Is there a list of the changes for the whole conference. Wofford is always secretive about our schedule, which is usually the last SoCon schedule to be released.

No offense, but if we had to double-up an away game, I would have preferred it to be Citadel - we play them better in Chucktown than we do at home (and the stadium is closer to my housexlolx)

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
It's my understanding Furman will play at the Citadel again and will also play at Mercer.

I don't particularly care about Furman playing twice at the Citadel. Charleston's nice and I enjoy seeing Furman win at Johnson Haygood.

catamount man
November 14th, 2013, 12:27 PM
It's my understanding Furman will play at the Citadel again and will also play at Mercer.

I don't particularly care about Furman playing twice at the Citadel. Charleston's nice and I enjoy seeing Furman win at Johnson Haygood.

Furman will also play at VMI November 1.

PaladinNation
November 14th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Furman will also play at VMI November 1.

So Furman plays…
@Citadel
@VMI
@Mercer

that leaves…
Wofford
Samford
Chatty
Western

I can't see Furman agreeing with this without getting a game back.
This seems very unfair that Citadel now gets Samford, Chatty, and Furman every other year from here on out.
I can't see Furman going from playing a balanced league schedule 4/4 to 5/2 home and away.
Some body is coming back to Paladin Stadium, or we're getting screwed.

That would give Furman in 2015… which I think will be a very good year for FU.
Citadel at home
VMI at home
Mercer at home
Samford at home
Wofford at home
road games @Western, Chatty, and ETSU

I want a home game again next season with Wofford, or Samford.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM
It's really hard to speculate at this point. I know Samford is probably not happy with having road games to all of the South Carolina teams in the same year. Would be a really tough sell if they continued to travel to those three schools and had to add on a road trip to Lexington or Johnson City.

citdog
November 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM

Jeebus Dude one would think that being a vermin person and from South Carolina you would know the history of your own State. This is General and Governor Johnson Hagood.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2004/245/9514_109410529348.jpg

walliver
November 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM
So Furman plays…
@Citadel
@VMI
@Mercer

that leaves…
Wofford
Samford
Chatty
Western

I can't see Furman agreeing with this without getting a game back.
This seems very unfair that Citadel now gets Samford, Chatty, and Furman every other year from here on out.
I can't see Furman going from playing a balanced league schedule 4/4 to 5/2 home and away.
Some body is coming back to Paladin Stadium, or we're getting screwed.

That would give Furman in 2015… which I think will be a very good year for FU.
Citadel at home
VMI at home
Mercer at home
Samford at home
Wofford at home
road games @Western, Chatty, and ETSU

I want a home game again next season with Wofford, or Samford.

I don't think ETSU plays a conference schedule until 2016. Football restarts earlier, but they will not play on conference their first year.

I doubt Wofford would go to FU next year since we are already doubling away games with WCU. Samford would be more likely.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Jeebus Dude one would think that being a vermin person and from South Carolina you would know the history of your own State. This is General and Governor Johnson Hagood.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2004/245/9514_109410529348.jpg

I have ties to SC, but I am certainly not from there.

However, if that facial hair style ever came back en vogue, I'd be right on board.

CID1990
November 14th, 2013, 03:07 PM

I'm happier about the prospect of getting two in a row against Sammy in Charleston. I'm not really as concerned about Furman.

El Cid 80
November 16th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Scouring the web looks like 2014 confirmed dates for the Citadel are:
06 Sep - Florida State
20 Sep - Charleston Southern
11 Oct - Charlotte 49ers
15 Nov - VMI

Plus games with Coastal and Gardner Webb and of course Chattanooga, Samford, Wofford, Mercer, Furman, and Western Carolina for a 12 game season.

Sandlapper Spike
November 16th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Actually, I think the game at VMI will be on November 22.

The Citadel will play Furman in Charleston on November 8.

Home games for The Citadel in league play: Furman, Chattanooga, Samford
Road games for The Citadel in league play: Wofford, Western Carolina, Mercer, VMI

The five non-conference games will be Charleston Southern, Florida State, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, and Gardner-Webb.

chattanoogamocs
November 17th, 2013, 12:24 AM
OOC for UTC...

Aug. 28 - at Central Michigan $350K
Sept. 6 - Jacksonville St (pending JSU signing off on 4-year deal)
Sept. 13 - at Austin Peay
Sept. 20 - Open Date
Oct. 11 - at Tennessee $450K
Nov. 8 - at Tennessee Tech (definitely playing at TTU, date is not 100% certain)

kdinva
November 17th, 2013, 08:36 PM
OOC for UTC...
Nov. 8 - at Tennessee Tech (definitely playing at TTU, date is not 100% certain)

I am fairly certain UTC hosts VMI on 8 November.....

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2013, 06:22 AM
06 Sep - Florida State
11 Oct - Charlotte 49ers
15 Nov - VMI

Plus games with Coastal and Gardner Webb and of course Chattanooga, Samford, Wofford, Mercer, Furman, and Western Carolina for a 12 game season.
Wofford was down to play FSU the first game of the year but they dropped us; we got paid by them and Baylor who we picked up. Maybe lightning strikes twice...

walliver
November 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM
06 Sep - Florida State
11 Oct - Charlotte 49ers
15 Nov - VMI

The FSU game could be brutal, unless their QB ends up in jail.

catamount man
November 26th, 2013, 03:52 PM
From a VERY reliable WCU source, here is what is on tap for WCU in 2014:

Home - Samford, Mercer, Chattanooga, Wofford, Brevard, Catawba
Away - USF, Alabama, Presbyterian, Furman, Citadel, VMI

Sandlapper Spike
November 26th, 2013, 09:37 PM

Home - Samford, Mercer, Chattanooga, Wofford, Brevard College

Maybe looking for a 12th game? GO CATS!

My understanding is that The Citadel-Western Carolina will be played in Cullowhee.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2013, 10:57 PM
From this thread & other sources, it seems Mercer's SoCon schedule in 2014 will include:

Home - Furman, The Citadel, & ?
Away - UTC, VMI, WCU, & ?

Have also heard away games at Wofford & Samford, but don't consider those sources highly reliable. Doubt it will be both. Anyone have solid info?

furpal87
November 27th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Sounds like everyone is making this up as we go along!!!

catamount man
November 27th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Sounds like everyone is making this up as we go along!!! My source has nearly 50 years of involvement within the WCU athletic dept. GO CATS!

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Fabulous MHCat - can you get that source to tell you if Mercer will be home or away vs. Samford & Wofford?

Looking forward to coming to Culowhee in '14. I left my right ACL up there in 1980 (cheap shot after the play by a future NFL Cat DE - no worries though - that's the way the SoCon rolled back in those days before 'targeting' & 'basketball-on-grass')...so I'm hoping it's sitting in the University Lost & Found. :-)

walliver
November 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
From this thread & other sources, it seems Mercer's SoCon schedule in 2014 will include:

Home - Furman, The Citadel, & ?
Away - UTC, VMI, WCU, & ?

Have also heard away games at Wofford & Samford, but don't consider those sources highly reliable. Doubt it will be both. Anyone have solid info?

Wofford would have been scheduled to play away at all three now departed schools so we would be expected to travel to both new schools this year. With the switch of the WCU game, however, I suspect we play one at home, although it's possible we only get 3 home games.

Our schedule is almost always the last to be released. and we generally patch together our schedule from everybody else's. The only set date so far is our opener at Georgia Tech.

pike51
November 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM
The only set date so far is our opener at Georgia Tech.

Tech's first 2 games are Wofford, @Tulane, and Georgia Southern. 2 option teams for the first 2 home games. That should be very interesting.

walliver
November 27th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Tech's first 2 games are Wofford, @Tulane, and Georgia Southern. 2 option teams for the first 2 home games. That should be very interesting.

At least they have that cupcake in the middle.:) Tulane could easily break in their brand new stadium with two straight losses:
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/aac/2014-tulane-green-wave-football-schedule.php

SCPALADIN
November 27th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Home - Samford, Mercer, Chattanooga, Wofford, Brevard, Catawba

Seriously!?!?!

catamount man
November 27th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Seriously!?!?!

From 2006-2013, WCU is 14-76. Don't you think it's time we scheduled some teams we can beat? I sure as hell do. GO CATS!

Plus, Speir's 2012 DC is Catawba's head coach. We're giving them a payday. I'd be more shocked that both us and you guys are going back to Clinton!

SCPALADIN
November 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM
From 2006-2013, WCU is 14-76. Don't you think it's time we scheduled some teams we can beat? I sure as hell do. GO CATS!

Plus, Speir's 2012 DC is Catawba's head coach. We're giving them a payday. I'd be more shocked that both us and you guys are going back to Clinton!

At least Presbyterian is a DI program...

catamount man
November 27th, 2013, 04:35 PM
At least Presbyterian is a DI program... Yes and we actually beat them in 2007 and 2008. Don't worry about Western's schedule friend.

matfu
November 27th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Deleted post.

catamount man
December 7th, 2013, 10:24 AM
WCU's home game with Brevard will be either 9/6 or 9/13 due to BC's other 9 games already set from 9/20-11/15. GO CATS!

kdinva
December 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM
2014 SoCon Composite sked............thanks to "ElCId80"

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/members_only/Schedules/2014-15/FB_14_Approved.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4000

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2013, 01:52 PM
2014 SoCon Composite sked............thanks to "ElCId80"

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/members_only/Schedules/2014-15/FB_14_Approved.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4000

I assume the SoCon schedule is probably good...but this has to be an early draft because UTC is no longer playing GA State (which is listed) and have added JSU and Central Michigan to the schedule.

But still, good info.