PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Rankings 10-8

JALMOND
October 8th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Another up and down day for Big Sky teams. Thus, I submit my rankings of the teams for October 8. Once again, all open to discussion, of course. I know I will have to answer a lot of questions this week.

1. Montana (1)---The old Sonny and Cher song "The Beat Goes On". Great win in Cheney keeps the Griz in the top spot (And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on). Griz team still keeps rolling (and the beat goes on, and the beat goes on). Next up, N Arizona comes to Missoula, fresh off a bye week. "And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on".

2. Portland State (2)---The gap has closed tremendously between second and third, but PSU's defense will keep the Vikings slightly ahead of the pack. Time will tell if the game in Bozeman was just a blip or if it is a sign of the things to come. The Vikings better get their offense back on track as Idaho State comes into Portland this week.

3. Idaho State (4)---Impressive road win by the Bengals against N Colorado moves them to the #3 spot. Next up is another big game matchup in Portland against Portland State. Bengals need it to show that they can match up well with the big guys up front and a win in Portland could do it.

4. Montana State (6)---Huge home victory over Portland State enables the Bobcats to climb to #4. The defense played huge against the powerful Viking offense and the Cat offense did just enough to win. The Cats might need some more offense as they go to Sacramento to play the suddenly tough Hornets.

5. Northern Arizona (5)---Idle week finds the Jacks staying put at #5. This week, the Jacks have to make a trip to Missoula to play Montana. The good thing, they at least had two weeks to prepare. The bad thing, they have to go to Montana.

6. Sacramento State (7)---Great showing by the Hornets at home against Weber State moves them up a spot. Maybe not the prettiest team, but the Hornets are silently winning in the conference. Another home win this weekend, this time against the suddenly strong Montana State team, could turn some heads in the conference.

7. Weber State (3)---Unfortunately, the defense is showing some signs of cracking, as they have been carrying the Wildcat team all year. Weber's lack of a sustainable offensive game finally came through in their loss against Sacramento State. Maybe the off week comes at a great time. Maybe the Wildcats can locate the missing offense and take the pressure off the defense. Good luck, the Montana game is in two weeks.

8. E Washington (8)---Oh, how the mighty has fallen. The Eagles might have showed a little bit of life but Montana was just too strong. Now, they must go to Greeley to face N Colorado. This was supposed to be an easy game, but the Eagles are finding out that none of the games are easy.

9. N Colorado (9)---It's not that the Bears are playing poorly, its just that they are finding out about the road through the conference (a tough road at best). A loss to Idaho State at home and now a feisty Eastern Washington team comes to Greeley hoping for payback after their game last week.

Montana has clearly emerged as the top team in the conference (and the beat goes on). Whereas Portland State was setting itself for a strong second place, their loss to Montana State has set up a logjam for that spot with both the Cats and Idaho State. Off week for NAU keeps the Jacks as a strong five spot. Sac State and Weber are pretty close at the 6-7 spots and bringing up the rear, EWU and UNC. And the beat goes on.

Hansel
October 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Another up and down day for Big Sky teams. Thus, I submit my rankings of the teams for October 8. Once again, all open to discussion, of course. I know I will have to answer a lot of questions this week.

1. Montana (1)---The old Sonny and Cher song "The Beat Goes On". Great win in Cheney keeps the Griz in the top spot (And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on). Griz team still keeps rolling (and the beat goes on, and the beat goes on). Next up, N Arizona comes to Missoula, fresh off a bye week. "And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on".

2. Portland State (2)---The gap has closed tremendously between second and third, but PSU's defense will keep the Vikings slightly ahead of the pack. Time will tell if the game in Bozeman was just a blip or if it is a sign of the things to come. The Vikings better get their offense back on track as Idaho State comes into Portland this week.

3. Idaho State (4)---Impressive road win by the Bengals against N Colorado moves them to the #3 spot. Next up is another big game matchup in Portland against Portland State. Bengals need it to show that they can match up well with the big guys up front and a win in Portland could do it.

4. Montana State (6)---Huge home victory over Portland State enables the Bobcats to climb to #4. The defense played huge against the powerful Viking offense and the Cat offense did just enough to win. The Cats might need some more offense as they go to Sacramento to play the suddenly tough Hornets.

5. Northern Arizona (5)---Idle week finds the Jacks staying put at #5. This week, the Jacks have to make a trip to Missoula to play Montana. The good thing, they at least had two weeks to prepare. The bad thing, they have to go to Montana.

6. Sacramento State (7)---Great showing by the Hornets at home against Weber State moves them up a spot. Maybe not the prettiest team, but the Hornets are silently winning in the conference. Another home win this weekend, this time against the suddenly strong Montana State team, could turn some heads in the conference.

7. Weber State (3)---Unfortunately, the defense is showing some signs of cracking, as they have been carrying the Wildcat team all year. Weber's lack of a sustainable offensive game finally came through in their loss against Sacramento State. Maybe the off week comes at a great time. Maybe the Wildcats can locate the missing offense and take the pressure off the defense. Good luck, the Montana game is in two weeks.

8. E Washington (8)---Oh, how the mighty has fallen. The Eagles might have showed a little bit of life but Montana was just too strong. Now, they must go to Greeley to face N Colorado. This was supposed to be an easy game, but the Eagles are finding out that none of the games are easy.

9. N Colorado (9)---It's not that the Bears are playing poorly, its just that they are finding out about the road through the conference (a tough road at best). A loss to Idaho State at home and now a feisty Eastern Washington team comes to Greeley hoping for payback after their game last week.

Montana has clearly emerged as the top team in the conference (and the beat goes on). Whereas Portland State was setting itself for a strong second place, their loss to Montana State has set up a logjam for that spot with both the Cats and Idaho State. Off week for NAU keeps the Jacks as a strong five spot. Sac State and Weber are pretty close at the 6-7 spots and bringing up the rear, EWU and UNC. And the beat goes on.
I would switch 3 and 4- otherwise I think you are about right

nevadagriz
October 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
As always nice analysis. However I would have to move MSU to #2 and PSU, ISU to a tie for #3 Msu woke up and I just can't give Psu #2 after two straight conference losses.

JALMOND
October 8th, 2006, 04:22 PM
As always nice analysis. However I would have to move MSU to #2 and PSU, ISU to a tie for #3 Msu woke up and I just can't give Psu #2 after two straight conference losses.

I thought about 2-4 for a long time. I kept PSU at #2 mainly because of the Vikings showing against the Griz and roughly compared that game to other Griz opponents. The Bengals got a road win against UNC and road wins in conference are usually tough to come by. The Cats, yes, a good win, albeit at home, against the Vikings. I moved the Cats up two spots after their win against NAU and I moved them two more spots now. The Cats have to play a suddenly tough Sac State team on the road and the Vikings and Bengals both play each other so we might have some clarity next week on these spots.

GOKATS
October 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Have a problem agreeing with your 2-4 spots. Can't justify PSU at #2 w/ two conference losses in a row (UM at home and MSU on the road). Granted, the 'Cats are tough to figure, but they beat NAU on the road and held PSU scoreless. 'Cats have a grudge to settle after a loss at Sac St two years ago & should come home with a win. PSU/ISU game could be interesting- PSU 'D' w/ a struggling 'O' vs ISU 'O' w/ a struggling 'D'. I have to give PSU the nod at home.

2. MSU

3. PSU

4. ISU

JBB
October 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
How can you have an impressive win against UNC? I think you can only have an impressive loss.

Hansel
October 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM
How can you have an impressive win against UNC? I think you can only have an impressive loss.
which is why I think ISU at #3 is too high :nod:

Jackluv
October 8th, 2006, 09:47 PM
why is ISU in the top 2-4 spot?? they lost to NAU and beat a BAD UNC team??? im not understanding this

JALMOND
October 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM
why is ISU in the top 2-4 spot?? they lost to NAU and beat a BAD UNC team??? im not understanding this

Fair question. I'm inclined to believe that UNC is not a "bad" team this year. They do have a win at Texas State and possibly just ran out of time at Weber. For ISU to win on the road, the score 43-14 is impressive regardless of whom you played. Whether ISU is worthy of #3 will come to fruition these next couple weeks (at Portland State then home to Montana State).

Just because UNC is at the bottom does not mean they are a "bad" team. I believe they have a great shot for a win this weekend, playing EWU at home.

DaGriz
October 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I'm inclined to believe that UNC is not a "bad" team this year.

Have you watched them this year? They are terrible. I'll be suprised if Sac. St. doesn't blow them out. I think in the long run they'll be a decent team in the Big Sky, it might just take a few years.

JALMOND
October 9th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Have you watched them this year? They are terrible. I'll be suprised if Sac. St. doesn't blow them out. I think in the long run they'll be a decent team in the Big Sky, it might just take a few years.

Ironically, I watched them here. They did look terrible and I thought that they would have a long season this year. Then they beat Texas State on the road. Then they almost beat Weber in Ogden. Hard to determine just how good they really are as Idaho State throttled them in Greeley. Based on the other two games, I'd say they are playing better than when they were in Portland. We'll see how good this weekend as EWU comes to town.

ncbears
October 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I believe we're going to be better on offense because we've made a qb switch. Local product Brian Wiedeman came in for Dominic Braezaele after Dominic threw a pick in the third series of the game. Brian has more mobility and can make a play when something breaks down in the offense. He didn't play the entire game and I think he matched Guiteriez's (Sp?) numbers. He'll get better now that he'll be practicing with the first string offense. We've also lost another wide reciever in Cory Fauver. We weren't deep at the position anyways, especially after losing Birkel for the season.

eagle1
October 9th, 2006, 11:26 AM
ncbears - I look forward to the battle of the Big Sky cellar this weekend in Greeley. The Eags are struggling offensively in the red zone and on special teams but the defense is awfully good this year. The Eags are better than their record as I am sure that the Bears are as well. Should be a good one. Go Eagles!!!

Jackluv
October 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM
from the posts iv read, it sounds like UNC is bad, but have had some tough breaks are will be up soon. i just think those rankings are horrible haha.

heres mine (if any1 cares)

1. Montana - EWU played them tough after watching the highlights. Offensively cant be stopped

2. PSU - Tough loss to MSU even with Sawyer back. Held to under 200yrds of offense? wow...MSU is for real folks

3. MSU - the win at NAU wasnt a fluke, Carpenter is a great QB and their defense is very tough.

4. NAU - even after the idle week they are 4. ISU showed their firepower at UNC but NAU blew their fire out. Tough game this week vs. Montana @ UM

5. ISU - looks like Guttierez is finally producing like we thought he would. good win on the road.

6. Sac St. - look a hell of a lot better than last year. 2 Conference victories? whaaat? broke their 19 away game losing streak after win over EWU

7. Weber - Im thoroughly surprised they lost. i had heard there defense was amazing but im not sure what happened.

8. EWU - big fall off from last year. they just cant seem to get it going right now. i know there is a lot of frustration in Cheney right now

9. UNC - last but not least. tough loss for the bears. seems like everything is going wrong right now.

this is the bull**** of the Big Sky hah.....every team is gonna beat every team so we are in total chaos. than every A10 nut on this board posts a new topic saying "What Happened to the Big Sky...(and why they suck"
hahaha

Walkon79
October 9th, 2006, 12:15 PM

The game of the week is MSU at Sac State. After a humbling loss to the Griz, Sac appears to be back on track, and the Cats are clearly on the road to a BSC championship showdown with the Griz. (That is unless of course Mr Hyde returns and we stumble against UNC or Weber or someone like that)

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU lose another this week, and drop out of contention. Very physical team, but lacking chemistry right now (Too many D-1 drop-downs maybe). Big QB controversy brewing in Portland, and a D that was being touted as the best in the Sky got handled up front on both sides last Saturday.

I would put

MSU - 2
Sac and PSU - T3

Walkon79
October 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
The game of the week is MSU at Sac State. After a humbling loss to the Griz, Sac appears to be back on track, and the Cats are clearly on the road to a BSC championship showdown with the Griz. (That is unless of course Mr Hyde returns and we stumble against UNC or Weber or someone like that)

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU lose another this week, and drop out of contention. Very physical team, but lacking chemistry right now (Too many D-1 drop-downs maybe). Big QB controversy brewing in Portland, and a D that was being touted as the best in the Sky got handled up front on both sides last Saturday.

I would put

MSU - 2
Sac and PSU - T3

Revised, Need to give NAU some love, cause if they win out, better for us. Let's go Murrietta, show us what a 4-year starter at QB is made of and upset the Griz at their homecoming this Saturday.

MSU - 2
Sac, PSU and NAU - T3

SactoHornetFan
October 10th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Here are my rankings for this week:

1. Montana (1) ---Jumped out to an early 21-0 lead on the road and never looked back. Looking strong.

2. Montana State (3) ---Up, down, down, down, Up, Up. The Bobcats are a funny team to decipher. Now the come to Sacramento after picking up a huge win at home against a team that is now spiraling. How will they fare in a night game, where they have lost four in a row under the lights?

3. Portland State (2) ---They have to win out to make the playoffs and that is unlikely since they have to go to Eugene and play an Oregon squad that was absolutely embarrased at Cal.

4. Sacramento State (6) ---Offense is finally starting to jell, though, penalties have hurt this team and could one day bite us in the rear. Real test to see where this team is on Saturday vs. MSU.

5. Northern Arizona (4) ---Facing a tough Griz team on the road following a bye-week. Will it be enough for the Jacks who at times look really good, but then, really bad (at home vs. MSU)?

6. Idaho State (9) ---Finally got a win against a Div. I team, albeit against UNC in Greeley. Face a tough test Saturday in Portland. The winner of this game is still alive, barely for the postseason.

7. Weber State (5) ---They have a bye week to figure out how their offense line allowed seven, yes, 7, sacks against Sacramento State. They better figure it out because Montana comes to Ogden on 10/21.

8. Eastern Washington (7) ---When you are down 21-0 at home in the first quarter, against a top-5 team, you are not going to win many ballgames. At times against the Griz, they looked real good. Too many turnovers cost the Eagles. They play this weeks Toliet Bowl at UNC.

9. Northern Colorado (8) ---Thank God nobody showed up to see the beating ISU gave the Bears. There will be even less when EWU visits this week.