PDA

View Full Version : #22 Jacksonville State @ #2 Eastern Illinois 11/16/13

PanthersBlue
November 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM
No. 2 Eastern Illinois vs. No. 22 Jacksonville State
O'Brien Field (10,000) • Charleston, Ill.
Nov. 16, 2013 • 12 p.m. • TV: ESPN3, WEIU

The Panthers are looking to win the OVC crown outright and send their seniors off right on Senior Day.

This will be the 11th meeting between Eastern Illinois and Jacksonville State with the series tied at 5-5. EIU beat JSU last season 31-28 in Charleston as time expired with the Gamecocks driving towards a game tying field goal attempt. Since JSU entered the league in 2003 the two schools have combined to win eight OVC Championships (EIU 5, JSU 3). This will be the second meeting in the series in which both teams are nationally ranked. EIU won the previous match-up when both schools were ranked with a 28-20 victory in Jacksonville in 2009 when JSU was ranked 12th and EIU ranked 24th. EIU will look to extend its current Ohio Valley Conference consecutive win streak to 11 games on Saturday against Jacksonville State. The win streak is the second longest active streak in the nation behind North Dakota State (12) after Bethune-Cookman and Coastal Carolina were both knocked off in conference action last weekend. EIU's longest OVC win streak is 13 games on two previous occasions (2000-02 and 2004-06).

Jacksonville State has opened the season with an 8-2 record under first year head coach Bill Clark. The Gamecocks went 4-0 in the non-conference portion of their schedule with a pair of overtime wins. JSU is 4-2 in the OVC including one overtime loss. DaMarcus James has led the JSU ground game this year with 894 yards. James has scored 19 rushing touchdowns which ranks third in the country. JSU has played three quarterbacks this year with Eli Jenkins getting most of the action in the recent win over Eastern Kentucky. The defense is led by Brandon Bender with 72 tackles.

This is huge game in terms of the national picture and seeding for the playoffs.

How does everyone think this one will shake out?

Cocky
November 13th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hopefully we have a chance.

wheatstraw78
November 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Well, we (TSU) played both. A healthy TSU defeated Jacksonville State on their homecoming and a not so healthy TSU lost to Eastern on our homecoming. Not making an excuse. We would've lost anyway. EIU's defense, in my opinion, is very underrated. And, it is Senior Day. JSU will have to score and score often in order to keep up. Looking at last weeks result, they may be able do it.

DrStrangelove
November 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I'm giving the edge to EIU, because I think the Panthers are more talented and are playing at home. If Clark and the rest of the coaches can coax as much effort and intensity out of the Gamecocks as they gave against Eastern Kentucky, it will be close heading into the fourth quarter. But Eastern Illinois will pull away and win by 10 or 14.

TTUEagles
November 13th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Up until the Jacksonville St.-EKU game, I would have said EIU big, but now, I'm not so sure. It may be a good one Saturday.

Cocky
November 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'm giving the edge to EIU, because I think the Panthers are more talented and are playing at home. If Clark and the rest of the coaches can coax as much effort and intensity out of the Gamecocks as they gave against Eastern Kentucky, it will be close heading into the fourth quarter. But Eastern Illinois will pull away and win by 10 or 14.

i wouldnt be happy but Icould understand that outcome.

PanthersBlue
November 13th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I think The Gamecocks will bring their best effort, so will the Panthers. I say EIU by three scores.

Redbirdz
November 13th, 2013, 08:56 PM
You would underrate Jax State at your own peril. I look for a JSU upset if they play like they did last week in the EKU beat down.

PanthersBlue
November 14th, 2013, 06:19 AM
No underrating Jacksonville State here, very good ball club. I just think this is EIU's year to do something special. I look for a very good game and some of the same strategy Murray used last week against us by holding the ball and controlling the clock.

If the Gamecocks can control the play clock and keep it third and short and win on those downs to sustain drives, they have a real shot. But it has been easy to overshadow EIU's defense because of the offense we have.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 14th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Agreed EIU should win this one convincingly setting themselves up for the playoffs with some momentum.

PanthersBlue
November 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Almost 24 hours from kickoff in a huge game for the OVC title picture and national playoff picture.

NIU007
November 15th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Go Panthers! Looking really good this year. That quarterback is damn good.

OSRacer
November 15th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Big game....looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Watched EIU play Murray last weekend and was very impressed with their line play. The QB goes without saying. He'll be a millionaire. I think EIU gets them but I think JSU pushes them to compete. I'm sure Bob Spoo should be proud of a lot these kids he recruited....and I think JSU is going to be really good for the next few years with their new coach. If my Racers can beat TSU tomorrow, then JSU may just ease into the playoffs regardless of what happens in this game.

Cocky
November 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Almost game time

PanthersBlue
November 16th, 2013, 12:37 PM
All Panthers early. 21-0 with 5:00 left in the first. Little already has three TD's for EIU. It's the run game today for the Panthers.

Go EIU!

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Wow, this isn't going to be competetive in the least.

I was hoping to be entertained before NDSU starts.

PanthersBlue
November 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Ummm make that 28-0. Jimmy just caught a TD from Little. He throws them and catches them.

I think we can put the "this is going to be close" stuff to rest.

PanthersBlue
November 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
53 yard run Jimmy Lera make it 35-0 Panthers with 46 seconds left in the first quarte.

Squealofthepig
November 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
53 yard run Jimmy Lera make it 35-0 Panthers with 46 seconds left in the first quarte.

...on fourth and one, too.

PanthersBlue
November 16th, 2013, 12:56 PM
35-0 end of the first quarter. All EIU.

PanthersBlue
November 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Panthers have set a school record for points in one quarter.

chattanoogamocs
November 16th, 2013, 01:20 PM
How cow, 21 minutes into the game...

JSU 0
EIU 35

Sorry, this is my first chance to check in on the game, I am shocked. OVC is crazy this year.

PanthersBlue
November 16th, 2013, 01:42 PM
38-7 at the half in Charleston. All Panthers. EIU really slowed the tempo in the second quarter, while marching into wind. EIU is looking to clinch to OVC outright today.

Cocky
November 16th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Thought we might be competitive but no

dgtw
November 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Thought we might be competitive but no

Same here. Now I know how the EKU fans felt last week.