PDA

View Full Version : Grambling "forfeiture" aftermath....

kdinva
November 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4639536

They'll have to play at Jackson St. the next three seasons, to help offset lost revenues from earlier this Fall.....

FormerPokeCenter
November 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Ouch! That's kinda overkill....but....I bet it has a deterrent effect...

superman7515
November 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Doesn't seem like they're really doing anything.
2014 at Grambling... now at Jackson
2015 at Jackson... still at Jackson
2016 at Grambling... now at Jackson
2017 at Jackson... now at Grambling

So Grambling only gave up 1 home game, basically just repaying them for screwing them out of a home game this year, and they flipped the rotation. I would imagine that Jackson State will continue with their lawsuit against Grambling and the SWAC.

FormerPokeCenter
November 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM

So Grambling only gave up 1 home game, basically just repaying them for screwing them out of a home game this year, and they flipped the rotation. I would imagine that Jackson State will continue with their lawsuit against Grambling and the SWAC.

Good catch...merely reading the story, it made it seem like there was going to be payment, three rescheduled games, etc...in reality, some redistribution of league money, one home game reworked plus a make-up date in Jackson...

Jackson probably SHOULD continue on with the suit...unless Grambling ponies up and pays what they would have made otherwise...

The money won't actually come from Grambling, per se, but from the State of Louisiana's Risk Management fund if Grambling gets sued...

Should be interesting...

dgtw
November 13th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Well, Jackson lost out on one home game this year but will get it back next year when Grambling plays there instead of at home.

Plus, since they still had some kind of celebration that weekend (I think it was homecoming), the school and city still had some revenue from people coming into town. And since the only thing HBCU schools care about is the band and parties, that's all that really mattered. (I'm kidding).

Also, while they had to refund pre-sold tickets, they probably kept some of it since some people didn't ask for a refund out of either laziness or just decided to make a donation or that it wasn't worth the trouble.

So they get back the money from the the game by hosting Grambling's game next year, plus a small bonus from this year so they really aren't out anything.

dgtw
November 14th, 2013, 06:53 AM

Jackson State had five home and four road conference games scheduled for this year. So if they flip the rotation, would that not give them six home and three road games in years they host Grambling? Or will the whole league have to change so everyone is 5/4 every year?

superman7515
November 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20131113/SPORTS04/311130030/SWAC-Grambling-faces-fine-three-road-games-at-JSU-as-result-of-forfeit?nclick_check=1
Grambling thinks the punishment is too severe and will appeal.

According to the statement, the SWAC said the funds Grambling will pay to Jackson State will come from Grambling’s “future distribution amounts” as outlined in the conference bylaws.
Grambling announced its plans to appeal the decision, and athletic director Aaron James responded to the ruling late Wednesday, calling it “excessive.”

“If allowed to stand, the conference ruling would mean that Grambling State University would have to pay as much as $305,000 once the $50,000 fine and travel costs at about $41,000 per trip to Jackson and related expenses are included,” James said in a statement. “That’s completely unacceptable.”

clenz
November 15th, 2013, 12:02 PM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20131113/SPORTS04/311130030/SWAC-Grambling-faces-fine-three-road-games-at-JSU-as-result-of-forfeit?nclick_check=1
Grambling thinks the punishment is too severe and will appeal.
So is what you allowed your athletic department to become....but that's never stopped you from exploiting them for a buck.

JayJ79
November 15th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I would have thought that they'd have done the fine ($50,000 or whatever the conference procedures were) and then had Grambling play at Jackson State next season (in what normally would have been Grambling's home game) and the year after (which would have normally been JSU's home game anyway). Having them play at JSU the next THREE seasons seems odd to me, b/c wouldn't that mean that they'd play a 4th straight road game in that series after that, since that's how the "normal" rotation would be? Or are they changing the whole conference schedule around?

"normal": 2013 @JS, [2014 @G, 2015 @JS, 2016 @G,] 2017 @JS, 2018 @G
"altered": 2013 dnp, [2014 @JS, 2015 @JS, 2016 @JS,] 2017 @JS, 2018 @G