PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs 'Til I Die: Projecting the Playoff Field, 11/12/2013

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2013, 07:39 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/772-playoffs-till-i-die-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-11-10-2013

My latest playoff predictions. Fans of the Southland and Big Sky will love it.

Sammy94
November 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think both Sam and SELA will get seeds. The winner of this weekend's game will decide which one will. No matter the outcome, I do see both along with McNeese in the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I don't think both Sam and SELA will get seeds. The winner of this weekend's game will decide which one will. No matter the outcome, I do see both along with McNeese in the playoffs.

Who do you see as the 8th seed then, Youngstown? I thought they lost out on that with their loss this weekend, and if they lose to NDSU this weekend I really don't see it.

dbackjon
November 13th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Questions - if EWU loses one, and NAU wins out, both would have one loss, and neither play each other. How would EWU get the auto-bid?

Having NAU on the road in the first round? I hope not - we should be a seed right now.

dbackjon
November 13th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Who do you see as the 8th seed then, Youngstown? I thought they lost out on that with their loss this weekend, and if they lose to NDSU this weekend I really don't see it.

NAU - as strong case as YSU, SELA or SHSU.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Questions - if EWU loses one, and NAU wins out, both would have one loss, and neither play each other. How would EWU get the auto-bid?

Having NAU on the road in the first round? I hope not - we should be a seed right now.

My original calculation had it so EWU needed to lose twice in order to make it.

If NAU was in a 2-way tie with Montana State, they'd lose on H2H.

If NAU was in a 3-way tie with Montana State and EWU, they'd be 0-1 against teams in the tie, and would fall out.

IF NAU was in a 2-way tie with EWU, I think it would depend on the teams below them in the tie (with a potential mess of teams with 2 conference losses).

If Poly ends up below Montana State, EWU wins the tiebreaker.

If Poly is equal to Montana State, the tiebreakers fall out and it falls to Sag (I think), which EWU wins.

So QED, yes, there is a possible NAU autobid scenario. It involves Montana State losing out, Cal Poly winning out, and NAU winning out.

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM

You may as well come to terms with the fact that UM is going to get a seed after we win out. xthumbsupxxcoffeex

Cocky
November 13th, 2013, 09:19 AM
JSU, we're going to shock the world this weekend.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2013, 09:30 AM

JSU is real interesting. If you guys do shock the world I could maybe see you as the 8th seed. Interestingly, I could also still see EIU seeded with a tough loss to you guys on the road.

maine612
November 13th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Here is one Maine fan that would love it if this bracket worked out. Need to take care of Rhody and UNH first though to earn this sort of development. UNH will be no easy matchup in Durham.

McNeese72
November 13th, 2013, 10:23 AM

We still have two games where we need to take care of business. I don't take anything for granted in the Southland this season.

Doc

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Amazingly, I discovered there's also a possibility that Cal Poly wins the autobid:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2013/11/12/2780392/cal-poly-faces-eastern-washington.html?utm_content=buffer2debc&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

I'm not sure I totally understand it, but I'm pretty sure it involves Montana State and NAU both losing twice, Montana losing to Weber State (but beating the Bobcats), and Poly beating Eastern Washington.

Red & Black
November 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM

I hope you're right!

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
This week, if Chattanooga wins, they'll head to their first-ever FCS playoffs.

...the Mocs played in the 1984 playoffs, losing at Arkansas State.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks. I fixed it.

WileECoyote06
November 13th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Daytona Beach is less than 400 miles from Charleston. That would be a more likely matchup than Charleston-Chattanooga.

Also, Chatt and TSU are close as well.

Lehigh'98
November 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to matchup RMU & YSU in the first round, then Colgate/LU/Laf vs CAA3 opponent?

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Wow, what an illustrious history.

BisonBacker
November 13th, 2013, 04:56 PM

Well congratulations if it happens.

Gater
November 13th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Agree with Lehigh'98
RMU and Youngstown are 50 miles apart. That would seem to be a really good first round game.
Colgate is 100 miles closer to Delaware than Youngstown (and Laf/Lehigh are close to Delaware).

Also, is Fordham at 63 scholarships or are they keeping to the Patriot limit of 60?

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I'd be very surprised if they matched Montana up with North Dakota State for one simple reason, money. The NCAA will take any attendance boost wherever it can get it, and NDSU will be sold out regardless of who they play. I could see the NCAA placing Montana with Eastern Washington considering they would likely bring in near record numbers for Roos City Hall.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM
EWU wont make any money for the NCAA even if they pair us off with those clowns. Most Montanans seem to be leaning away from traveling to that corn field because of their asshole fans and the treatment they get there.

Fordham2012
November 14th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Agree with Lehigh'98
RMU and Youngstown are 50 miles apart. That would seem to be a really good first round game.
Colgate is 100 miles closer to Delaware than Youngstown (and Laf/Lehigh are close to Delaware).

Also, is Fordham at 63 scholarships or are they keeping to the Patriot limit of 60?

Hi -- would that matter for any reason?

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Lafayette played an amazingly exciting game at Newark Delaware in the first round (first AQ for Patriot) in 2004. I was there and it wasn't decided until the final 2 minutes!

veinup
November 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Most Montanans seem to be leaning away from traveling to that corn field because of their asshole fans and the treatment they get there.

not surprising.

Grizzlies82
November 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM

That must be pretty exciting for the kids and the fans. Good luck, hope you make it.

Gater
November 14th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Just curious. The article mentions Fordham being at the 63 max. I'm a big fan of Fordham forcing The Patriot League's hand on scholarships.

Fordham2012
November 14th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Just curious. The article mentions Fordham being at the 63 max. I'm a big fan of Fordham forcing The Patriot League's hand on scholarships.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty certain they are sticking with 60. They keep saying they will be eligible for the PL championship next year The 60 is important as I think FCS schools need 59.7 average of scholarships for a FBS opponent to count a win toward bowl qualification.

Gater
November 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Gotcha. Hope your QB is 100% for the playoffs (even if that means resting him for the Colgate game...).

CSU18
November 14th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Is there any chance that if Charleston Southern wins out they get a top 8 seed?

FargoBison
November 14th, 2013, 07:55 PM

They would need some help in my opinion, probably a lot of help.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2013, 09:41 PM

I think they are in the mix for sure. Southern Utah over Montana State, NDSU over Youngstown, and SHSU over SeLa are three very possible outcomes that I think would help this cause.

Grizzlies82
November 14th, 2013, 10:35 PM

It's doubtful but they certainly have a shot at it. As Fargo & Lehigh pointed out, it requires help from higher ranking teams losing. Baring some real unexpected upsets these are the teams still competing for one of the eight seeds;

Virtually certain are these four (though not necessarily #1 thru #4 seeds): Maine, E. Ill, E. WA, and NDSU.

These teams are still hoping for one of the seeds (in no particular order):
Charleston So., Coastal Carolina, Chattanooga, Fordham, Towson, Youngstown, Sam Houston, SE LA, McNeese, Montana, No. Arizona, MT State.

So by my count, there are about a dozen teams competing for the four 'remaining' seeds. Some will be removed since there are several head to head games left. Yet there is still more teams in contention than there are seeds. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out for everyone.

WileECoyote06
November 14th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I think two more wins will vault Charleston Southern into the top 15 of some of these rankings, kind of a snowball effect if you will. Undefeated against FCS has to count for something. Granted, their OOC opponents haven't been stellar, but they won all of those OOC games on the road except Charlotte.

rokamortis
November 15th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I think two more wins will vault Charleston Southern into the top 15 of some of these rankings, kind of a snowball effect if you will. Undefeated against FCS has to count for something. Granted, their OOC opponents haven't been stellar, but they won all of those OOC games on the road except Charlotte.

What hurts them is playing 2 D-II but having 10 DI wins would and their only loss to an FBS certainly would give them a decent resume.

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 08:55 AM
EWU wont make any money for the NCAA even if they pair us off with those clowns. Most Montanans seem to be leaning away from traveling to that corn field because of their asshole fans and the treatment they get there.

Just because I had to tell a couple of your peeps to quit yelling profanities and puking on everyone's shoes...

hater/latent EWU fan.

ace93
November 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM

We are at 60 and will remain at 60. When Fordham did the conversion it was based on the 60 need-based limit the PL had. We were budgeted for 60, so we stuck to 60 and unless the PL changes the rule I do not think it would be something we'd push for.

Catbooster
November 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I assume the PL is limiting themselves to 60 so that they have a little leeway for APR penalties - if they lose schollies as a penalty for low APR

or maybe not xlolx :p

Stick
November 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
It's doubtful but they certainly have a shot at it. As Fargo & Lehigh pointed out, it requires help from higher ranking teams losing. Baring some real unexpected upsets these are the teams still competing for one of the eight seeds;

Virtually certain are these four (though not necessarily #1 thru #4 seeds): Maine, E. Ill, E. WA, and NDSU.

These teams are still hoping for one of the seeds (in no particular order):
Charleston So., Coastal Carolina, Chattanooga, Fordham, Towson, Youngstown, Sam Houston, SE LA, McNeese, Montana, No. Arizona, MT State.

So by my count, there are about a dozen teams competing for the four 'remaining' seeds. Some will be removed since there are several head to head games left. Yet there is still more teams in contention than there are seeds. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out for everyone.

I would be surprised if Charleston Southern gets a bye. Currently they are 31st in the GPI. That isn't the only consideration, and they would move up a bit with 2 more wins, but I just can't see the committee rewarding them with a bye unless a bunch of other teams fall apart, as mentioned by others above.

I would also be surprised if NAU gets a bye. Even if they wind up 9-2, it's with only 1 really good win (Montana) and three decent ones (Cal Poly, S. Utah and S. Dakota).

Lastly, and I expect to get some grief here, I doubt that Montana St. gets a bye as well. Currently their only win that is even decent is N. Arizona (which is a very good win). They've beaten nobody else and have a bad loss. True, if they win out they will have 2 really good wins and a decent win in S. Utah, and it would put them in the mix, but unless other teams lose above them I don't see them getting there with 2.5 losses (I only count SMU as a half loss).

The other 9 teams you named, I agree, they are the top candidates for being in slots 5-8. I'll throw Jacksonville St. into the mix as well, since if they beat E. Illinois and finish 10-2 their resume looks much more impressive.

dbackjon
November 15th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I would be surprised if Charleston Southern gets a bye. Currently they are 31st in the GPI. That isn't the only consideration, and they would move up a bit with 2 more wins, but I just can't see the committee rewarding them with a bye unless a bunch of other teams fall apart, as mentioned by others above.

I would also be surprised if NAU gets a bye. Even if they wind up 9-2, it's with only 1 really good win (Montana) and three decent ones (Cal Poly, S. Utah and S. Dakota).

Lastly, and I expect to get some grief here, I doubt that Montana St. gets a bye as well. Currently their only win that is even decent is N. Arizona (which is a very good win). They've beaten nobody else and have a bad loss. True, if they win out they will have 2 really good wins and a decent win in S. Utah, and it would put them in the mix, but unless other teams lose above them I don't see them getting there with 2.5 losses (I only count SMU as a half loss).

The other 9 teams you named, I agree, they are the top candidates for being in slots 5-8. I'll throw Jacksonville St. into the mix as well, since if they beat E. Illinois and finish 10-2 their resume looks much more impressive.

NAU may not get a bye if they win out - but our resume is better than:

Chuck South
Coastal
Chatty
YSU (if they lose to NDSU)
Fordham

Stick
November 15th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Chuck South
Coastal
Chatty
Fordham

So you're saying that a 9-2 Lumberjack team should get a bye over an undefeated Fordham team that has beaten Villanova and an FBS team on the road?

I will give you Chattanooga and probably Charleston Southern, but not the others for now. Maybe Youngstown if they lose to ND St. Coastal did lose to CSU but it was on the road, and they have three other solid road wins.

rokamortis
November 15th, 2013, 02:08 PM

Chuck South
Coastal
Chatty
Fordham

Don't fool yourself - your resume is not better than most of these teams. It may be on par, but is not better. The Big Sky has their fair share of bad teams.

Stick
November 15th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Don't fool yourself - your resume is not better than most of these teams. The Big Sky has their fare share of bad teams.

I can make an argument that the Big Sky is only the 5th best conference this year, from top to bottom.

dbackjon
November 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
So you're saying that a 9-2 Lumberjack team should get a bye over an undefeated Fordham team that has beaten Villanova and an FBS team on the road?

I will give you Chattanooga and probably Charleston Southern, but not the others for now. Maybe Youngstown if they lose to ND St. Coastal did lose to CSU but it was on the road, and they have three other solid road wins.

Top 4 of Big Sky would be undefeated with Fordham's schedule. But I will give them credit for Villanova win. They are a definite seed.

YSU's schedule? Three jokes OOC, clobbered in FBS game, and then squeaking through MVFC, which is no better, once you get beyond NDSU, than the BSC.

What solid road wins does Coastal have? You counting Liberty, or SCSU, or EKU?

dbackjon
November 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I can make an argument that the Big Sky is only the 5th best conference this year, from top to bottom.

You can make that argument, but it doesn't mean you'd be right.

You can argue that the sky is green, and grass is blue, but again, you'd lose xnodx

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Don't fool yourself - your resume is not better than most of these teams. It may be on par, but is not better. The Big Sky has their fair share of bad teams.

maybe true but I'm guessing none of these teams would do better with NAU's schedule and at least a couple would have lost to Montana, Cal Poly, or both.

Stick
November 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Top 4 of Big Sky would be undefeated with Fordham's schedule. But I will give them credit for Villanova win. They are a definite seed.

YSU's schedule? Three jokes OOC, clobbered in FBS game, and then squeaking through MVFC, which is no better, once you get beyond NDSU, than the BSC.

What solid road wins does Coastal have? You counting Liberty, or SCSU, or EKU?

The Missouri Valley is the best conference in FCS. UNI is nearly in last place, but they won @ Iowa St and thrashed McNeese St. top to bottom it's unmatched. The Big Sky has some bad teams at the bottom.

Yes, I am counting all 3 of those as solid road wins for Coastal.

2013 is the worst year for the Big Sky since 2007.

clenz
November 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
A healthy UNI is no where near the bottom of the MVFC...sadly that have been the case the last 6 weeks

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

dbackjon
November 15th, 2013, 03:02 PM
The Missouri Valley is the best conference in FCS. UNI is nearly in last place, but they won @ Iowa St and thrashed McNeese St. top to bottom it's unmatched. The Big Sky has some bad teams at the bottom.

UNI - if they hadn't had the injury bug, would be a seed, likely. But they did - that is part of the game.

If those are solid road wins, then so are Sac State, UC-Davis and Cal Poly.

Plus, Coastal doesn't have any wins PERIOD as good as NAU over Montana. Hell, South Dakota is a better win than anything on Coastal's schedule.

Herder
November 15th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Not easy in the MV or BSC, and very dependent on your OOC schedule, but easier to get to 8 wins in the BSC and you'll pay less of a physical toll getting there

clenz
November 15th, 2013, 03:07 PM
UNI - if they hadn't had the injury bug, would be a seed, likely. But they did - that is part of the game.
Agreed...

I'm hoping UNI gets mostly healthy these next two weeks and finishes at 7-5

A 7-5 UNI likely doesn't get in without a ton of help, but would surely be in the discussion.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Stick
November 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM
If those are solid road wins, then so are Sac State, UC-Davis and Cal Poly.

If you really believe this, then there is nothing left to talk about. Cal Poly is a decent team (a team that lost at home to Yale btw) but the other two are not good at all.

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Lol

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 03:34 PM
If you really believe this, then there is nothing left to talk about. Cal Poly is a decent team (a team that lost at home to Yale btw) but the other two are not good at all.

Lol again.

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Is that why the Big Sky will likely have 4 teams in and the Valley just 2? Try to think a little before you post, mmmk chief?

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Is that why the Big Sky will likely have 4 teams in and the Valley just 2? Try to think a little before you post, mmmk chief?

I would think most outside, neutral observers would agree the Valley is a stronger league, top to bottom, than the Big Sky. The reason the Big Sky might get four in and the Valley may only get two, is because the Big Sky has 13 schools ... which means more bad teams at the bottom who are layup wins for the teams in the upper half. The Valley cannibalizes each other, especially the teams in the middle who are all similar.

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I would think most outside, neutral observers would agree the Valley is a stronger league, top to bottom, than the Big Sky. The reason the Big Sky might get four in and the Valley may only get two, is because the Big Sky has 13 schools ... which means more bad teams at the bottom who are layup wins for the teams in the upper half. The Valley cannibalizes each other, especially the teams in the middle who are all similar.

Some truth here but consider a 1-9 UNC trailed a healthy UNI 13-7 heading into the 4th quarter and 3-7 UCD only lost to USD 10-7.

I don't see our "lay ups" really being that much worse than other conferences.

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Some truth here but consider a 1-9 UNC trailed a healthy UNI 13-7 heading into the 4th quarter and 3-7 UCD only lost to USD 10-7.

Not saying the layups are "that much worse" but there are more of them available. For example, if you look at Montana State's schedule, they're 5-1 in the Big Sky, but four of those wins have come vs teams with combined conference records of 5-20, 8-32 overall. Plus they have a double digit loss to one of the worst teams in the SLC. Yet they're firmly in the playoff mix while teams like Northern Iowa, Villanova, South Dakota State and Samford could be on the outside looking in if things don't break their way. Not sure any combination of breaks could help UNI or Villanova.

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Not saying the layups are "that much worse" but there are more of them available. For example, if you look at Montana State's schedule, they're 5-1 in the Big Sky, but four of those wins have come vs teams with combined conference records of 5-20, 8-32 overall. Plus they have a double digit loss to one of the worst teams in the SLC. Yet they're firmly in the playoff mix while teams like Northern Iowa, Villanova, South Dakota State and Samford could be on the outside looking in if things don't break their way. Not sure any combination of breaks could help UNI or Villanova.

MSU will have faced an FBS, top 5 FCS(EWU), top 10 FCS (UM by next week), top 25 FCS (SUU), and beat a top 15 and possibly soon to be other top 10 FCS (NAU).

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Sounds about right.

If SDSU can win out they would be in. An 8-4 YSU team would be on the 'bubble', but if they beat the Bison tomorrow they are a lock even if they lose to SDSU.

They Valley will get 2 in maybe 3 this year.

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM
MSU will have faced an FBS, top 5 FCS(EWU), top 10 FCS (UM by next week), top 25 FCS (SUU), and beat a top 15 and possibly soon to be other top 10 FCS (NAU).

Yeah, and they lost by 25 to EW ... we'll see how they finish up.

McNeese72
November 15th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah, and they lost by 25 to EW ... we'll see how they finish up.

We are talking about Montana St.?? They lost to fricking SFA!!! And I don't care who was injured, you should be able to beat them with half your team injured. Hell, UNI with all their injuries would stomp SFA.

Doc

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2013, 07:06 PM
We are talking about Montana St.?? They lost to fricking SFA!!! And I don't care who was injured, you should be able to beat them with half your team injured. Hell, UNI with all their injuries would stomp SFA.

Doc

Yeah, already pointed that one out. Nicholls scored more than Montana State with a backup QB

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah, already pointed that one out. Nicholls scored more than Montana State with a backup QB

But we're talking about probably the 4th best BSC team here. Many playoff teams have a wart. Take McNeese for example...

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but right now, they're second, and for all we know, may stay there.

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah, but right now, they're second, and for all we know, may stay there.

The point being if you look at the BSC as a whole, there's typically 4 or 5 quality opponents. Sure we have our patsies, but it's not really different than any other conference.

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2013, 09:11 PM
The point being if you look at the BSC as a whole, there's typically 4 or 5 quality opponents. Sure we have our patsies, but it's not really different than any other conference.

It's actually a lot different ... the original inference was made that the Big Sky was better than the Missouri Valley because they would get more teams into the playoffs. I'm saying the Big Sky has more opportunities for the top four or five to pad records due the larger than average number of weak teams at the bottom ... outside of Indiana State, there are no truly bad teams in the Valley. We have a couple of so-called "bad teams" in the Southland, but one beat Montana State by double figures and the other has an FBS road win.

Don't get me wrong, the Big Sky is a good league with several very good programs - but when you break it down, it's top heavy.

Vooter
November 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Jacksonville State University
The only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and Baseball

What about UCLA?

kalm
November 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM
It's actually a lot different ... the original inference was made that the Big Sky was better than the Missouri Valley because they would get more teams into the playoffs. I'm saying the Big Sky has more opportunities for the top four or five to pad records due the larger than average number of weak teams at the bottom ... outside of Indiana State, there are no truly bad teams in the Valley. We have a couple of so-called "bad teams" in the Southland, but one beat Montana State by double figures and the other has an FBS road win.

Don't get me wrong, the Big Sky is a good league with several very good programs - but when you break it down, it's top heavy.

Sure, but you could also make the case the MVFC has one good team and a bunch of very average teams who beat up on each other whereas the BSC is top heavy. Have you checked out YSU's schedule? Perhaps the Valley is REALLY top heavy.

Also... keep in mind that one of the BSC's worst teams beat the same SFA team that beat MSU. And that another of our worst teams was able to at least hang with a healthy (at the time) UNI through three quarters while one of the Southland's best was never in it. Then there's another BSC bottom third team in UND that was able to come back and keep it close against SDSU. Are UNC, UND, and Weber good? Hell no. Are they at the bottom of the BSC? Yes. Do they have the talent to hang with good teams from other conferences? Yes.

Another point is that with 13 teams in the conference, you're not gonna get a chance to play all of the week ones.

It's not my opinion that the BSC is necessarily better than any of the other big 4. I also think the Southland deserves consideration as being a power conference. Year in and year out, you'll see some shift, but for the most part, all of these conferences are pretty even from top to bottom.

Cocky
November 16th, 2013, 01:16 AM
What about UCLA?
We won ours no voting.
This may have to change soon since FBS is going to playoffs.

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 02:00 AM
IMO odds are very good the Southland MVFC CAA Big Sky is the new big 4. Socon is the new Southland.

While the Socon is taking huge strides backwards, the OVC and Southland are taking huge steps forward.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I feel like the MVFC will get two teams in at an absolute minimum, and I'm already eyeing throwing in a 7-5 MVFC team in there if a team gets there.

Bisonwinagn
November 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I feel like the MVFC will get two teams in at an absolute minimum, and I'm already eyeing throwing in a 7-5 MVFC team in there if a team gets there.

That will never happen. If a team as good as SDSU was last year (ranked 7 in the GPI) was considered the last team in by the playoff committee I would be very concerned for both a YSU or SDSU team at 8-4. The valley historically has been overlooked, but it was partly due to poor playoff performances. This same thing could impact the OVC this year as well despite having some really good teams.

clenz
November 16th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I think the only MVFC team that can get to 7 D1 wins that isn't already is UNI...

mainejeff
November 16th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Delaware doing everything that they can do to give away their playoff berth.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM

They may have, and if they lose to Nova next weekend... they likely just did.

mainejeff
November 16th, 2013, 02:53 PM
They may have, and if they lose to Nova next weekend... they likely just did.

They just gave more hope to UNH. xnonox

UIWWildthing
November 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Towson pulling out a win at W&M may have clinched their seed in the playoffs I believe

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Towson pulling out a win at W&M may have clinched their seed in the playoffs I believe

They are a clear No. 2 I think in the CAA with Delaware's loss.

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Richmond, just like Villanova, has been the victim of a brutal schedule. Yes, they did have one unexplainable slip up against Rhody, but they have looked strong the last three weeks. They may have knocked Delaware out of the playoffs this week, and they have a chance to knock William & Mary out next weekend.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM
IMO odds are very good the Southland MVFC CAA Big Sky is the new big 4. Socon is the new Southland.

While the Socon is taking huge strides backwards, the OVC and Southland are taking huge steps forward.

The SoCon probably will become a second-rate FCS conference, but let's wait and see if the OVC and SLC (minus SHSU) can reverse the losing trend in the playoffs before we say they're at the top.

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 04:24 PM
The SoCon probably will become a second-rate FCS conference, but let's wait and see if the OVC and SLC (minus SHSU) can reverse the losing trend in the playoffs before we say they're at the top.

That is true, SELA and McNeese both seem pretty good, SELA more than mcneese, and alot of the SLC bottom feeders seem much improved.

Houndawg
November 16th, 2013, 05:25 PM

In that case you have to consider that a 4-7 USD team dominated #12 Montana and lead with less than 2 minutes in the game before giving up a KO return to lose..