PDA

View Full Version : If they go 9-3, is Coastal in?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Something I've been thinking about. You would think "yes", but.. hmmm.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM

probably but losing to Presbyterian would take a lot of shine off of them.

jmrepak
November 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM
My 2 cents....I honestly wouldn't expect it. A 9-3 Coastal would get passed over for someone with a more difficult SOS if one of the losses is to the Hose. Now if a 9-3 Coastal with close losses to Liberty and CSU is up for consideration you are probably looking at a last 4 in/first 4 out scenario.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Pros: They'd have 9 D-I wins. They'd have beaten EKU, South Carolina State, and Furman, theoretically three playoff teams.

Cons: EKU, South Carolina State, and Furman all might not be playoff teams, and all of those opponents right now need help to make the playoffs. They'd be riding a 3 game losing streak with a loss to Presbyterian stuck in the middle there. Their best win could be the triple-OT game over Liberty.

jmrepak
November 12th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Pros: They'd have 9 D-I wins. They'd have beaten EKU, South Carolina State, and Furman, theoretically three playoff teams.

Cons: EKU, South Carolina State, and Furman all might not be playoff teams, and all of those opponents right now need help to make the playoffs. They'd be riding a 3 game losing streak with a loss to Presbyterian stuck in the middle there. Their best win could be the triple-OT game over Liberty.
Don't get me wrong, if Coastal finds a way to lose the game this weekend I would love for the Chants to still be in the mix, but I don't see it happening with a 3 game losing streak.

I'll just have to hope they win and take this scenario out of play

NoDak 4 Ever
November 12th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, if Coastal finds a way to lose the game this weekend I would love for the Chants to still be in the mix, but I don't see it happening with a 3 game losing streak.

I'll just have to hope they win and take this scenario out of play

It's pretty unlikely. It's like saying "If NDSU loses to South Dakota in the final game of the season, do they deserve the #1 seed?" Any given Saturday be damned, Presby's probably a win for CCU

zilla
November 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM
No...a loss to PC & then against South Carolina the following week would prevent us from getting an invite, IMO.

However, I think we'll be fine this Saturday which should all but lock us up at least an at-large spot.

dbackjon
November 12th, 2013, 05:06 PM
No, they won't if they lose to Presby

Cocky
November 12th, 2013, 05:37 PM
No

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2013, 05:44 PM
NO

Esp a 3 game losing steak to end the season.

Sir William
November 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Stranger things have happened, but the likelihood that Coastal loses to PC is slimmest to none.

Coastal is in.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2013, 06:37 PM

A nightmare scenario for sure - what kind of sick stuff goes through your head?? xrotatehx

Seriously, any given Saturday and all but if we lose to PC then it would be a major cause for concern.

Moglia is known for a no-nonsense approach and his team being well prepared for the game. The CSU game is a rare failing and I think he, the staff, and the players are going to show that they are back on track on Saturday.

TigerFen
November 12th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I don't see them in. They seem to be a team in a situation much like Towson. They need to win Saturday to cement their position in the playoffs. If they don't, both could end up on the outside looking in.

bodoyle
November 13th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I don't think there would be any chance they make it in. The socar game is rather meaningless and I look for both teams to pull their starters early to avoid any injuries (unless it's a close game).

knucklehead
November 13th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I say no, but I also don't think they lose to PC. I hope they do, but.... In 2008 LU was 10-2 and got left out. In reality they were 8-2 because 2 of the wins were D2. But there were wins over #23 YSU and #14 Elon in there too. http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?pid=10873&teamID=9&seasonID=118 Who knows the voodoo the committee uses. haha

maine612
November 13th, 2013, 09:38 AM
From what I have read there is no way CCU goes 9-3. However if they did, they would not get in. Too many other teams to consider.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Hard to believe, Coach Joe Moglia was a Lafayette defensive secondary and special teams coach from 1978-80 before he became the Defensive Coordinator at Dartmouth. He was under Neal Putnam and then Bill Russo took over as head coach in Dec. 1980. He was on the field for the only Pard game I saw my frosh year in 1980 - vs. Lehigh at Fisher Field in Easton, PA.

moosbah
November 13th, 2013, 10:00 AM
IF they get in, they would be quickly out.

kdinva
November 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM
IF CCU loses vs. Presby, they'd be 9-2 vs. 1-AA teams........they'd be in, but have to play opening weekend.....

CSU18
November 13th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Better question. Is Charleston Southern in if they finish 11-2?

CID1990
November 13th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I think CSU solidified a playoff spot with the CCU win.