PDA

View Full Version : #8 Towson @ #13 William & Mary - Game Thread

DoubleH
November 12th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I didn't see a thread for this big CAA game in Williamsburg on Saturday, so here it is.

Some CAA stats to consider:

Scoring Offense & Total Offense

1. Towson.............. 10 403 40.3ppg xthumbsupx
1. Towson.............. 10 2463 rush 2432 pass 489.5 ypg xthumbsupx

Scoring Defense & Total Defense

1. William & Mary...... 10 122 12.2 ppg xeekx
1. William & Mary...... 10 1015 rush 1922 pass 293.7 ypg xeekx

Drilling down a bit...

Rushing Offense

1. Towson.............. 10 2463 246.3 ypg

Rushing Defense

2. William & Mary...... 10 1015 101.5 ypg

It is the irresistible force (West and the Towson O-Line) vs the immovable object (Tribe front 7). Of course, there's also this:

Scoring Offense & Total Offense

8. William & Mary...... 10 223 22.3 ppg
10.William & Mary...... 10 1623 rush 1623 pass (look at the balance!) 324.6 ypg xlolx

Scoring Defense & Total Defense

7. Towson.............. 10 224 22.4 ppg
3. Towson.............. 10 1138 rush 2258 pass 339.6 - translation: turnovers have given opposing teams lots of short fields, hence the mediocre scoring D, and given we've led every game almost the whole time except Villanova, opponents have thrown the ball and abandoned the run against our solid front 7.

I think Towson matches up extremely well with the Tribe, and this could be a "comfortable" win, even on the road. The Towson D is talented, but poor schemes, a few key injuries, short fields, and one epic meltdown have made it look worse than it really is. I don't see the Tribe scoring more than maybe 20 here, and possibly less. Which means... the game will be won on whether or not the Tribe can stop the Towson running game. I do believe, at this point, that there isn't a team that can stop West and the O-line this year. While he may not rip off 250+, 150+ and controlling the clock is very realistic.

Towson 31, W&M 13. Discuss.

TigerFen
November 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM
This is probably the biggest game of Towson's season, so far. I think our defense improves this week and makes this a 20-17 win for the Tigers. Our lowest point total of the season, but I will take the win over lighting up the score board. That defense scares me alot though. Hearing Ambrose talk about them, they seem to be one of the best in the FCS.

UIWWildthing
November 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM
It comes down to whether the Tigers can NOT make mistakes, or limit them. In the games they lost, mistakes cost them big. It's going to be a close one, right now I say Towson wins 23-21

thebootfitter
November 12th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I think Towson matches up extremely well with the Tribe, and this could be a "comfortable" win, even on the road.
I do believe, at this point, that there isn't a team that can stop West and the O-line this year. While he may not rip off 250+, 150+ and controlling the clock is very realistic.
I like your confidence, but I'm skeptical of your predicted outcome. My guess that W&M holds you to <14. And my guess is that they score more than that.

Regarding your confidence in West and your O-line, surely you mean in the FCS only, right? You think maybe NDSU might be able to stop them? (Not trying to turn this into another Bison thread, but you did make a very sweeping statement there.)

nj alum
November 13th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Given what happened last year, given that the Tribe is / are home, given that the Tribe D is playing lights out, and given that this is a playoff game for the Tribe...

Tribe will roll in this one!

DoubleH
November 13th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I like your confidence, but I'm skeptical of your predicted outcome. My guess that W&M holds you to <14. And my guess is that they score more than that.

Regarding your confidence in West and your O-line, surely you mean in the FCS only, right? You think maybe NDSU might be able to stop them? (Not trying to turn this into another Bison thread, but you did make a very sweeping statement there.)

Less than 14 points? Wow. Given that we haven't scored less than 31 all season, and we've put up 40+ in half our games, that would be an extremely impressive defensive performance. I have a healthy respect for the Tribe D, but you are selling the Towson offense short.

Yes obviously FCS. I don't think we'd have much success running the ball on Alabama or Michigan St, but then again nobody does.

NDSU - who knows, we may get the opportunity to find out later this year.

bluehenbillk
November 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Having seen these teams on back to back weeks I think it's crazy to expect a one-sided game. Towson is very good at running the ball, they're so-so at throwing it. Towson's defense didn't really impress me to be honest, average. West & the OL have carried this team on their backs. W&M can run the ball too, not nearly as well as Towson though, and Caprio really didn't impress me but McBride is as good a wideout as the CAA has. The Tribe defense is very good, they're hard to run on & they cover better than any team I've seen this year.

Tough one to call, it could go either way honestly but no one wants to hear that on a message board so I'll ride with Terrance West in this one - he gets enough yards in key situations to propel Towson to victory, somewhere in the 20-17 range.

TSU86
November 13th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I'd love to make the drive and watch this one, but I'll probably listen while doing yard work.
How is W&M coverage units? Derrick Joseph has taken at least 2 all the way this yr.

maine612
November 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
This is a great matchup with a playoff type feel. I'll go with the defense. Tribe 24, Tigers 19

thebootfitter
November 14th, 2013, 04:22 AM

Less than 14 points? Wow. Given that we haven't scored less than 31 all season, and we've put up 40+ in half our games, that would be an extremely impressive defensive performance. I have a healthy respect for the Tribe D, but you are selling the Towson offense short.
I believe that Towson does have a great offense, and more often than not would probably score more against the W&M defense. Something just tells me that Towson will struggle a bit on offense and the stout W&M D will take advantage of that to keep points off the board. Nothing more than a gut feel, though, so I could be way off base. I think these are two very good teams and will be keeping a close eye on the game. I only wish I had easy access to watch the game.

I still believe that Towson would have made some noise had they been in the 2012 playoffs. I think it would have been a good match up for NDSU. Best wishes for your team this year.

State Line Liquors
November 14th, 2013, 07:04 AM
The Tribe's defense against the Towson O-Line and West is the offensive/defensive matchup of the year in the league. West is probably the best running back in all of FCS and the Towson O-Line that blocks for him is very good. The Tribe defense is certainly one of, if not the, best in FCS. It's a shame this won't be on TV, and secondly that I won't be able to watch because of the UD game.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Is this the game of the week in the FCS?

If not it should be

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Is this the game of the week in the FCS?

If not it should be

It's a great one but NDSU/YSU took that spot. This a great one though and can't wait to see how this comes out and I know it will have plenty of coverage on the radio show next week cuz it was already previewed on there last night.

Tribal
November 14th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Interesting that the Tribe is 2.5 point favorites. If either team gains a 14 point lead, that's the ball game. W&M won't allow a 14 point comeback and doesn't have the offense to recover from 14 down.

CSU18
November 14th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Will certainly be interested to see how this game shakes out.

Bisonator
November 14th, 2013, 06:41 PM
First to 14 wins?xnodx

Lehigh'98
November 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM
If W&M had an offense, they may be in contention for a national title. I think Towsons D will be the difference in this one. 21-6

Tribe93
November 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM
If W&M had an offense, they may be in contention for a national title. I think Towsons D will be the difference in this one. 21-6

Our defense will score more than 6.

wmmii
November 14th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Tribe defense held Blue Hens to lowest rushing ever last week at -35 yards (yes minus).
This is strength against strength but feel the home field advantage will carry the day for Tribe win as they are undefeated at home this year!
Last two weeks they shut out NHU and only gave up 3 point by the D to Blue Hens (other 7 on kickoff return)!!
O will pick apart the safety for a couple of long passes
Final Tribe 24 Towson 13

DoubleH
November 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Bump.

CSU18
November 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM
W&M by 17 points - 24 - 7

LeadBolt
November 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM
It's a great one but NDSU/YSU took that spot. This a great one though and can't wait to see how this comes out and I know it will have plenty of coverage on the radio show next week cuz it was already previewed on there last night.

This game received a nomination and two seconds for GOTW, but did not make the ballot. Tough with the NDSU/YSU game the same week.

citdog
November 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I like Towson in this one.

WM2001
November 15th, 2013, 08:42 PM
This game received a nomination and two seconds for GOTW, but did not make the ballot. Tough with the NDSU/YSU game the same week.

So much for east coast bias.

WM2001
November 15th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I like Towson in this one.

Yankee Lover.

citdog
November 15th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Yankee Lover.

http://sports.blurtit.com/var/question/q/q8/q84/q844/q8444/q8444070_1184395_331_duel

Tribal
November 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Tribe up 9-7 at the half.

UIWWildthing
November 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Towson scores to take a 14-9 lead late in the 3rd

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Towson actually has 15.

They went for 2, fumbled the ball into the end zone, W&M recovered the fumble, then W&M fumbled and Towson recovered it for 2... according to the refs explanation.

UIWWildthing
November 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM
My mistake, typo on my part
Towson hung on to win 15-9 in a game that may have clinched a seed for the Tigers

thebootfitter
November 16th, 2013, 04:24 PM

Yes obviously FCS. I don't think we'd have much success running the ball on Alabama or Michigan St, but then again nobody does.

Well... I guess it would have been 14 points if not for the debacle on the PAT. :-)

Way to hold on and play tough D yourself, Towson.

TigerFen
November 17th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Defense played excellent today. Very proud of the team after this game. We're in and I say we control our destiny for a bye. William and Mary's Defense is very good. If you get in next week, that team is going to make some noise in the playoffs. You have a pretty good running back, also there. Hope Injuries don't hurt you too hard after that physical of a game against your Rivals in Richmond.

DoubleH
November 18th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Well... I guess it would have been 14 points if not for the debacle on the PAT. :-)

Way to hold on and play tough D yourself, Towson.

Haha, touché. VERY impressive defensive effort by the Tribe. I was spot on with us being able to run the ball though. 248 yards rushing, which has to be the most the Tribe has surrendered all season by far, and West had 157 of them. But 9-18 for 94 yards and a pick is what I'd call an inept passing game, and tremendous defense. We really, really miss Spencer Wilkins (our best WR out for the year).

But like I also said, I didn't see the Tribe being able to move the ball against us either, and that's how it played out, although the final play with McBride barely missing a potential game-winning TD almost gave me a heart attack.