PDA

View Full Version : UMaine-Towson observations

PapaBear
October 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
1. Sean Schaefer is a very talented QB. Made some great throws against us. Scrambles effectively and does a great job keeping his eyes downfield to locate receivers, instead of immediately tucking and running. Ball security, obviously, was his downfall yesterday. But he's only a soph, so there's time to work on that aspect of his game.

2. Towson running game was soft and too perimeter-oriented against Maine. If this has been their pattern throughout the year, then it's a major flaw in their team makeup.

3. UMaine's defense was relentless and physical. New DC Robb Smith came into his own yesterday, using a very attacking style to create big plays. Nine sacks and three turnovers later, it was obviously an effective strategy.

4. Maine's offense had two field-length drives where they mixed pass and run very well. One was on their first TD. The second was in answer to Towson's first TD, which came on a great drive to open the 3rd Qtr. Maine's "answer" drive, which helped the Black Bears regain their two-score lead, created a momentum swing from which Towson never recovered.

5. Maine is slowly gelling (go ahead, have fun with the TV commercial :eyebrow: ) as a team. They're becoming fun to watch. Key, now, will be continuing to focus and play hard. With two consecutive home games (Nova and Hofstra), the Black Bears can't afford any letdowns.

6. Arel Gordon and freshman Ryan Callahan are the two quickest human beings I've ever seen on a football field at any level.

dwtime
October 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Maine is quietly 2-0 in the conference, teams better watch out for them. I hate that the Cats play up there this year!

Ivytalk
October 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I decided to put Maine in my top 25 this week.:nod:

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2006, 02:24 PM
TOWSON........UH PAPER TIGER!

"DUH BEARS".....HAVE ENTERED MAH LIST.......ALSO.....BRAWK!

UNHknowledge
October 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I agree...Maine @ Maine is not gonna be easy. Gordon is a senior now and his move to RB scares me because he will triple his touches per game from when he was a WR. Hopefully the Cats can keep the Musket in Durham.

Uncle Buck
October 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Maine's defense should have no problem shutting down either Nova or Hofstra. Both teams looked bad yesterday at HU and if they are gelling, it could be a 4-0 conference start for the bears

mainejeff
October 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Great to hear about a solid Maine road effort vs. an A-10 team. They surprised me.

Hansel
October 8th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I decided to put Maine in my top 25 this week.:nod:
me too :)

TigerFan17
October 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM
We played pretty poorly. A lot of dropped balls, Schaefer sat in the pocket for much longer than he should of and made some pretty costly mistakes (majority of turnovers were on solid drives near red-zone).

Maine's lines just flat out dominated us. As did Whitcomb. Our D played tough, but our chances of winning are minimal if we can only put up 7, thats just the team we are.

Sam Adams
October 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Maine is always tough. Even when they have a losing record, they show up ready to hit. I never take those Black Bears lightly.