PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the Big Sky in 2006?

dwtime
October 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Looks like only Montana, if they win the Conference, or possibly another Autobid team if they finish with a better record than Montana will come from the 'Big Sky' this year. What gives? Parity? Losses to graduation?

VictorG
October 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
The BSC lost a lot to graduation last year, EWU, MSU and Weber in particular. There has also been some key injuries to teams key players.

Other than that, the Griz are a much better team than they were last year while the rest of the league is kinda floundering, rebuilding or just plain not playing well.

MSU is starting to "find" themselves but it may already be to late for them. They would have to win out, including beat the Griz in Missoula, to get the BSC auto bid. No chance for them or anyone else really to get an at large berth in the playoffs. The Griz could get an at large bid if they don't get the auto bid but there is still to much football left to even talk about that. IMO, the only teams with even a remote chance for the playoffs are the Griz and Bobcats, and if the Bobcats trip up even once more, they are done.

DaGriz
October 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Looks like only Montana, if they win the Conference, or possibly another Autobid team if they finish with a better record than Montana will come from the 'Big Sky' this year. What gives? Parity? Losses to graduation?

Nothing's up with it. Order appears to be finally restored. We aren't used to sharing the Big Sky title. The last few years we have been lucky to even do that. Hopefully this year things are back to normal and our alone. :)

Hansel
October 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Parity and overscheduling

nevadagriz
October 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I totally agree with the over scheduling! Psu plays 3 I-a teams this year, freaking stupid! On the other hand bigsky teams have shown that playing down does not always come up W's. The biggest thing I see this year is that MSU and PSU were both top 3 teams in the league however MSU stumbled out of the blocks and PSU scheduled over their heads or the SKY would,could,should have 3 top 25 teams!

1Aneedsplayoffs
October 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Big Sky is down, yes, but Montana will still roll through it and recieve 3 home playoff games, and walk their way to another national title appearance. Hopefully New Hampshire will share the luck and we can have the two best teams play for it all

Ronbo
October 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Big Sky is down, yes, but Montana will still roll through it and recieve 3 home playoff games, and walk their way to another national title appearance. Hopefully New Hampshire will share the luck and we can have the two best teams play for it all

I think you're going to hear from some Mountineer fans. LOL

JALMOND
October 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I'd say, if we beat Oregon, we're in as the second Big Sky entry.

Actually, though, it remains to be seen as to how others finish across the country. I, for one, don't think we are out of the playoffs, as I think we will get a strong look from the committee at 7-4. Unlike most I-AA's this year, we have not played a DII or lower. We have three I-A's and the Big Sky. We only play four home games and seven road games. Our only game that we've played so far that could be considered a blowout was against Cal, and we are not the only team the Bears have blown out. We got a win over a I-A team (New Mexico) and gave Montana (top 5 in I-AA) a tough a game as they've had all year (maybe second to Iowa).

I know no team has gone in at 7-4, but I think we've got a pretty good resume that should lend itself to at least a look. Granted, it all depends on what happens with the rest of the country down the stretch, and we've got to win out against the Big Sky to have a chance.

DaGriz
October 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM

I was at the Oregon/Cal game. Good luck. Oregon had their let down game of the year yesterday.

Hansel
October 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Actually, though, it remains to be seen as to how others finish across the country. I, for one, don't think we are out of the playoffs, as I think we will get a strong look from the committee at 7-4. Unlike most I-AA's this year, we have not played a DII or lower. We have three I-A's and the Big Sky. We only play four home games and seven road games. Our only game that we've played so far that could be considered a blowout was against Cal, and we are not the only team the Bears have blown out. We got a win over a I-A team (New Mexico) and gave Montana (top 5 in I-AA) a tough a game as they've had all year (maybe second to Iowa).

I know no team has gone in at 7-4, but I think we've got a pretty good resume that should lend itself to at least a look. Granted, it all depends on what happens with the rest of the country down the stretch, and we've got to win out against the Big Sky to have a chance.
I would think a 7-4 PSU would get strong consideration for an-at large depending on who else is available

nevadagriz
October 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Jalmond I agree great resume, but yesterday was the final nail in your playoff coffin. You just can't lose that game with your schedule.

What happened yesterday anyways? Did Msu get Force and some of the other injured back? Did they throw on you or run on you? What happened to the O? I heard the field was sloppy but that should have been ok with the big hogs you have on the o-line?

JALMOND
October 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Jalmond I agree great resume, but yesterday was the final nail in your playoff coffin. You just can't lose that game with your schedule.

What happened yesterday anyways? Did Msu get Force and some of the other injured back? Did they throw on you or run on you? What happened to the O? I heard the field was sloppy but that should have been ok with the big hogs you have on the o-line?

No excuses. The Cats flat out beat us. Our first game with our flashy tailback transfer and he could not do anything. Smith started and was very rusty (to say the least). I could give a laundry list as to why we lost, but it all comes back to the Cat D playing an awesome game. The better team clearly won. Force was back and played a great game. The announcers were saying that we never offered Force a scholarship when he graduated from HS (he's an Oregon kid), and he looks forward every year for the PSU game. Our D played well, but our powerful offense never showed up, a tribute to the Cat D.

touchdown
October 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
didnt montana state get in at 7-5 in 2002 and eastern washington was 7-4 in 2004 if i am not mistaken? were they both the auto bid?
I would bagger to differ and say there will at least (3) 7-4 teams that make the playoffs this year due to all the 1-a games on the schedules.
8-3 should be a lock.
Big sky will get at least 2 in this year, even if someone is 7-4!

grizband
October 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM
didnt montana state get in at 7-5 in 2002 and eastern washington was 7-4 in 2004 if i am not mistaken? were they both the auto bid?
I would bagger to differ and say there will at least (3) 7-4 teams that make the playoffs this year due to all the 1-a games on the schedules.
8-3 should be a lock.
Big sky will get at least 2 in this year, even if someone is 7-4!
MSU was the autobid in 2002. In 2004, the Eagles record was 9-3, with losses to Nicholls State, Air Force, and Montana.