PDA

View Full Version : Mid-year Transfers for 2014?

underdawg
November 8th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I know it's still 2013 but I thought I'd start one on December 2013 Mid-year Transfers. SIU has a good JUCO QB coming for a visit next week--also after a JUCO LB and two or three JUCO OL (offered one of three so far)

Haven't heard of any FBS yet.

clenz
November 8th, 2013, 09:35 PM
If any school knows FBS cast offs it's SIU

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I know it's still 2013 but I thought I'd start one on December 2013 Mid-year Transfers. SIU has a good JUCO QB coming for a visit next week--also after a JUCO LB and two or three JUCO OL (offered one of three so far)

Haven't heard of any FBS yet.

Lennon has really hung his hat on JUCO transfers and FBS transfers.

Has it really produced any decent results?

underdawg
November 9th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I don't want to get into any arguments (again) with Bison fans over where SIU or NDSU get their recruits--you know 90% of our players are high schoolers but Lennon isn't going to refuse to recruit a difference maker just because he has to transfer in---that's insane.

Have you ever heard of Brian Presume? I suspect you have--he's second in tackles in the League (From Coffeyville CC) or

Tyler Williamson? He's the guy who in 2012 caused your QB to fumble for a 60 yard TD and then blocked a Bison FG later in the game. Remember him yet? He's also a three year JUCO (Lennon looks for guys with more than two years eligibility) and you'll see him again next year.

Also Jarien Morleland the 6'5" 320 OL tackle and Ethan Wirth (6'6" 300)? Both starting both JUCOs Wirth (From Toledo) will also be back for his third year.

Houndawg
November 9th, 2013, 05:34 AM

xlolx

Still butthurt about our increasingly one-sided rivalry, clench?

Great game buddy. Really like playing at your dome.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I don't want to get into any arguments (again) with Bison fans over where SIU or NDSU get their recruits--you know 90% of our players are high schoolers but Lennon isn't going to refuse to recruit a difference maker just because he has to transfer in---that's insane.

Have you ever heard of Brian Presume? I suspect you have--he's second in tackles in the League (From Coffeyville CC) or

Tyler Williamson? He's the guy who in 2012 caused your QB to fumble for a 60 yard TD and then blocked a Bison FG later in the game. Remember him yet? He's also a three year JUCO (Lennon looks for guys with more than two years eligibility) and you'll see him again next year.

Also Jarien Morleland the 6'5" 320 OL tackle and Ethan Wirth (6'6" 300)? Both starting both JUCOs Wirth (From Toledo) will also be back for his third year.

Great for Lennon trying to fill holes with a quick fix of recruits from the JUCO or FBS ranks. The Bison have had a few over the years but I could probably count on one hand the total in the last 10 years.

Did Kill use a lot of FBS transfers? JUCO kids?

SIU is in a totally different geographical recruiting area compared to NDSU, so I suppose it is easier to find those kind of guys.

I guess in my case when you see teams get these transfers, esp FBS guys, you think....'wow, this kid must be really good'....but it seems like that is not the case in a lot of these guys.

Every coach is different, Bohl has stated many times that he prefers HS kids and RS them. But I suspect that for next year he wouldn't pass up a good RB or LB transfer from a FBS school if there is one out there.

Houndawg
November 9th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Great for Lennon trying to fill holes with a quick fix of recruits from the JUCO or FBS ranks. The Bison have had a few over the years but I could probably count on one hand the total in the last 10 years.

Did Kill use a lot of FBS transfers? JUCO kids?

SIU is in a totally different geographical recruiting area compared to NDSU, so I suppose it is easier to find those kind of guys.

I guess in my case when you see teams get these transfers, esp FBS guys, you think....'wow, this kid must be really good'....but it seems like that is not the case in a lot of these guys.

Every coach is different, Bohl has stated many times that he prefers HS kids and RS them. But I suspect that for next year he wouldn't pass up a good RB or LB transfer from a FBS school if there is one out there.

Kill had some xfers/jucos that played in the NFL. Brandon Jacobs, Deji Karim, Ken Boatwright. Arkee Whitlock plays in CFL

I imagine every coach would prefer HS kids and RSing them.

marenlee
November 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM

What about UNI? Don't they have a good number of FBS transfers?

Houndawg
November 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Doesn't matter, they always get screwed by the officials.

clenz
November 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM

We have just 2 that see the field this year. .. and one wasnt/isnt a starter without injuries

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

underdawg
November 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM
QB Connor Bravard of Number 3 rated Iowa Western CC will visit SIU starting this coming Thursday (November 14) 205-337 (60.8%) for 2340 yards, 23 TDs and ran for four more scores. 6'1" 200 4,7 forty.

clenz
November 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM
He was at UNI before he saw the writing in the wall he'd never play here and went JUCO. He was a good get out of HS but came in the same time as Sawyer...

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

underdawg
December 19th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Ok Let's start this one over again and try to stay on track. SIU to sign 6'5" 250 pound Defensive End Malik Jones from University of Maryland--Red-shirt Frosh to have four years eligibility--4.8 forty

Hambone
December 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
UND is just losing a bunch of guys. One that will hurt the most is Kenny Golloday who is transferring to Northern Illinois. I'm assuming when the new coach is hired that we will likely be trying to get some transfers to make up for those losses.

BEAR
December 19th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I heard Arkansas is losing 6-8 players to transfer... I wonder who will pick them up?

I know we usually pick up a couple.... but someone is gonna hit the jackpot when they get a transfer from a defeated SEC team! xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
December 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Southeastern Louisiana Adds Six Midyear Signees

http://www.lionsports.net/news/2013/12/18/FB_1218131049.aspx

2014 Southeastern Louisiana Football Additions
Herbert Harris – LB – 6-1 – 230 – Clinton, Miss. (Hinds CC/Clinton HS)
Ashton Henderson – DL – 6-1 – 320 – Tulsa, Okla. (Iowa Western CC/Booker T. Washington HS)
Jordan Howard – DB – 5-10 – 175 – Ventura, Calif. (Ventura College)
Philanteus "PJ" Jarrett – DL – 6-3 – 280 – Hollandale, Miss. (Copiah-Lincolm JC/Hollandale Simmons HS)
Byron Smith – OL – 6-8 – 280 – Ontario, Calif. (Citrus College/Colony HS)
Terrious Triplett – DB – 6-2 – 197 – Memphis, Tenn. (Holmes CC/Ridgeway HS)

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I heard Arkansas is losing 6-8 players to transfer... I wonder who will pick them up?

I know we usually pick up a couple.... but someone is gonna hit the jackpot when they get a transfer from a defeated SEC team! xthumbsupx

Players didn't like Bielema at Wisconsin, but they went to Wisconsin, because it was Wisconsin. Fans were glad to see him go.

Seawolf97
December 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Stacy Bedell running back from UMass to Stonybrook. One of the best in New York in 2012 he will have 3 years of eligibility left.

Laker
December 19th, 2013, 07:40 PM
UND is just losing a bunch of guys. One that will hurt the most is Kenny Golloday who is transferring to Northern Illinois. I'm assuming when the new coach is hired that we will likely be trying to get some transfers to make up for those losses.

Do you know anything about this guy? I just read this today:

Jameer Jackson announced he will transfer to Minnesota State-Mankato.

At 6-3, 237..he's a capable big-body WR/TE who should be an immediate asset to the Mavs. He will be a Junior next fall.

LehighU11
December 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Brandon Yosha, a 6-0 188 RB, is transferring to Lehigh from The U (of Miami). He was rated the #7 RB in the nation as a junior at Cathedral HS in Indiana, but tore both ACLs and an MCL while there. Sounds like he walked on at Miami and saw action against Kansas State in 2012, but didn't get a scholarship offer. He transfers to Lehigh with 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Hambone
December 19th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Jameer Jackson will be an animal for Mankato. Only thing with him is I've heard he wasn't the most popular in the locker room, but he's got some serious skills that you will be happy to have there.

clenz
December 19th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Players didn't like Bielema at Wisconsin, but they went to Wisconsin, because it was Wisconsin. Fans were glad to see him go.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187fyj5209fg9jpg/ku-medium.jpg

FUBeAR
December 20th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Mercer has 2 known FBS Transfers scheduled to enroll for the Spring Term

TE Derek Owings (http://soconrecruiting.com/derek-owings-mercer/) 6-3 235 (3 years remaining) - Eastern Michigan
OL Alan Posey (http://soconrecruiting.com/alan-posey-mercer/) 6-5 307 (2 years remaining) - Tennessee

word
December 20th, 2013, 12:36 AM

Go back to d2

underdawg
January 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM
For SIU: Kendric Randolph a 6'1" 200 CB from Eastern Arizona CC

also 6'5" 255 DE from University of Maryland Malik Jones

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2014, 02:04 PM
First one I've seen in a while to NDSU. From Nebraska - rFr RB King Frazier 6' 220

More running back depth. Gonna be a long year for the MVFC

THE HERD
January 13th, 2014, 03:23 PM
First one I've seen in a while to NDSU. From Nebraska - rFr RB King Frazier 6' 220

More running back depth. Gonna be a long year for the MVFC

I have a good feeling about this transfer since we originally recruited him out of high school, so there is some familiarity there. Plus the kid is an excellent student, which generally means the kid has a lot of character. All you have to do is watch his film for about five seconds and you can see the talent he has, plus he has an additional 15 or so pounds of muscle on him now.

JMU2004
January 13th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Vad Lee has transferred to JMU for GT.

underdawg
January 13th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I've heard the kid's pretty good--gives the Bison another power runner plus he has sneaky speed too.

SFA 93
January 13th, 2014, 04:38 PM
QB: Zach Conque 6-6; 230 Little Rock, Arkansas (Catholic/UTSA) ** (Rivals.com) #18 State; #79 QB (247sports)
Offers from UTSA, Central Arkansas, Tulsa, Toledo, Middle Tenn. State, interest from Arkansas State

Transfer: UTSA (redshirted) to SFA

A two-year starter who completed 377-of-608 passes (62 percent) for 5,019 yards and 38 touchdowns during his prep career … also rushed for 807 yards and 15 scores on 97 carries (8.3 avg.) … earned first-team Class 7A Central all-state accolades, was runner-up for Arkansas’ Gatorade Player of the Year award and also was an Arkansas Player of the Year finalist as a senior … passed for 2,868 yards and 24 touchdowns and added 407 yards and seven scores on the ground … an all-conference selection in 2010 after throwing for 2,151 yards and 14 TDs … also rushed for 400 yards with eight scores that season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Brandon Yosha, a 6-0 188 RB, is transferring to Lehigh from The U (of Miami). He was rated the #7 RB in the nation as a junior at Cathedral HS in Indiana, but tore both ACLs and an MCL while there. Sounds like he walked on at Miami and saw action against Kansas State in 2012, but didn't get a scholarship offer. He transfers to Lehigh with 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Hopefully he'll be able to contribute. Lehigh appears to be very thin at RB heading into next year. If Yosha is able to produce at a relatively high level he'll be a huge asset to a still young Shafnisky.

Catatonic
January 13th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Abilene Christian:

Parker Whitney. OG 6'4" 310 Butler Comm College Tr-Jr Scout 2 Star

Josahua Finley. DT 6'2" 282 Butler Comm College Tr-Jr

Larry McDuffey. WR/KR 5'10" 165 University of Houston Tr-Jr ESPN 3 Star. CUSA All freshman team, 2012.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 13th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I have a good feeling about this transfer since we originally recruited him out of high school, so there is some familiarity there. Plus the kid is an excellent student, which generally means the kid has a lot of character. All you have to do is watch his film for about five seconds and you can see the talent he has, plus he has an additional 15 or so pounds of muscle on him now.

Book it. He is going to be Terrance West good. Almost the same size and his moves are very good. Pair him up with a great offensive line and he is going to be a beast. I'd still let Crockett shine next year but he is going to be a very good #2.

AmsterBison
January 14th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Book it. He is going to be Terrance West good. Almost the same size and his moves are very good. Pair him up with a great offensive line and he is going to be a beast. I'd still let Crockett shine next year but he is going to be a very good #2.

He's going to have his work cut out just beating Morlock for #2. Now, if he can do that while staying healthy, he will be very good indeed. Don't get me wrong though: It's great that he's in class now and will be playing spring ball.

McNeese72
January 14th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I heard that McNeese picked up a Miss. St. runningback but that is all I have heard. Of course, I've learned with transfers, nothing is for sure until they are enrolled in school.

Doc

steelbison
January 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM
He's going to have his work cut out just beating Morlock for #2. Now, if he can do that while staying healthy, he will be very good indeed. Don't get me wrong though: It's great that he's in class now and will be playing spring ball.

Sorry but watching the tape on this kid he is a step up from Morllock. Bigger. Stronger faster and has some wiggle. Can't wait to see him in the spring game!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2014, 09:20 AM

Terrance West good... hmmm, that's saying something right there.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 14th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Terrance West good... hmmm, that's saying something right there.

as far as skill, I believe so. He won't get the carried in NDSU's traditional 2 back system to get the numbers but pound for pound, this kid is good.

jmufan999
January 14th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Vad Lee has transferred to JMU from GT.

this one is going to be interesting, especially if we run the kind of super-tempo offense (90 plays/game) that Withers is promising. i'm a big fan of Birdsong but Vad might be more suited to run that type of system.

bluehenbillk
January 14th, 2014, 11:04 AM
this one is going to be interesting, especially if we run the kind of super-tempo offense (90 plays/game) that Withers is promising. i'm a big fan of Birdsong but Vad might be more suited to run that type of system.

Lee or Birdsong going to start?

jmufan999
January 14th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Lee or Birdsong going to start?

if we TRULY run up-tempo (Mickey said we would this year and it never happened... rarely, anyway) i'd say Lee wins. don't see too many big bodies like Birdsong running that style of offense. i've heard mixed reviews about Lee. reminds some people of Justin Thorpe, which is mostly not complimentary in my book.

Catatonic
January 14th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I heard that McNeese picked up a Miss. St. runningback but that is all I have heard. Of course, I've learned with transfers, nothing is for sure until they are enrolled in school.

Doc

McNeese has also been angling for Arizona State back up QB Michael Eubank, probably hoping to duplicate SELA's success with PAC transfer QB's. xlolx

THE HERD
January 15th, 2014, 09:49 AM

I have nothing against Morlock and believe he will be a very good back for us, but Frazier is a whole different animal. He is about 30lbs heavier than Morlock and just as fast, if not faster and runs with the same kind of passion and determination that Morlock does. I see Morlock taking over Langs role for next year and than being one of the top two guys his junior and senior year, so he will be fine. Some people have talked about switching Morlock to LB, but in my opinion that would be idiotic after seeing how hard that kid runs the ball, he is meant to be a RB and will be a very very good one for us.

Sader87
January 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM
BC QB Lowrie is supposedly headed to URI....

underdawg
January 15th, 2014, 01:13 PM
SIU also picks up 6'5" 295 Center Garrett Clark a Junior who was listed as the first string Center for Southern Mississippi

So far four guys including Clark:

Malik Jones a 6'5" 250 pound DE fro U of Maryland

Kendric Randolph a 6'1" 200 Cb from Eastern Arizona CC

Mark Iannotti a 6'2" 220 dual threat QB from Eastern Michigan University

McNeese72
January 15th, 2014, 01:22 PM
McNeese has also been angling for Arizona State back up QB Michael Eubank, probably hoping to duplicate SELA's success with PAC transfer QB's. xlolx

I heard he has come by for a visit but that's all it was at this time, just a visit. He supposed to be visiting several other FCS schools, too.

McNeese72
January 15th, 2014, 01:25 PM

Also, I heard the reason he asked to visit McNeese was on the recommendation of a transfer QB we had a few years back that was from the state of Texas and now is coaching. We weren't actively pursuing him.

Doc

Catatonic
January 15th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Also, I heard the reason he asked to visit McNeese was on the recommendation of a transfer QB we had a few years back that was from the state of Texas and now is coaching. We weren't actively pursuing him.

Doc

You would not know it from the large number of follows from McNeese supporters on his Twitter account.

Nickels
January 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Right now, a couple of mid-year transfers would be nice but a coaching staff would be even better.

bjtheflamesfan
January 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Whoa there Silver...just because he's an FBS RB, doesnt mean you gotta crown him an All-American and Payton Award finalist before he even hits the practice field.

clenz
January 15th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Mark Iannotti a 6'2" 220 dual threat QB from Eastern Michigan University that babes sounds very familiar

I think he committed to UNI then not then did then not then did then went somewhere else once he enrolled.

I have no idea if that is actually him but that isn't a last name easily forgotten

underdawg
January 15th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I heard he has come by for a visit but that's all it was at this time, just a visit. He supposed to be visiting several other FCS schools, too.

There is a Michael E. Eubank who is classified as a Junior enrolled for Spring semester at SIU---but he is a physics major--don't thing it's him though

McNeese72
January 15th, 2014, 05:06 PM
You would not know it from the large number of follows from McNeese supporters on his Twitter account.

He was pointed our direction by a former player (transfer Qb himself) and now a coach at another (FBS) university. He came by and visited. Word got out underground amongst the players and their parents and some of the fans. He was supposed to be visiting other schools. A lot of those players, parents, and fans are following his tweets in case he tweets his decision about what he is going to do. I don't think you could categorize that as "actively pursuing him".

Doc

McNeese72
January 15th, 2014, 05:08 PM
There is a Michael E. Eubank who is classified as a Junior enrolled for Spring semester at SIU---but he is a physics major--don't thing it's him though

Well, if he isn't Afro-American, 6' 6", 248lbs, and has the nickname "Mini-Cam", it probably isn't him.

Doc

Bisonator
January 15th, 2014, 05:54 PM
SIU also picks up 6'5" 295 Center Garrett Clark a Junior who was listed as the first string Center for Southern Mississippi

So far four guys including Clark:

Malik Jones a 6'5" 250 pound DE fro U of Maryland

Kendric Randolph a 6'1" 200 Cb from Eastern Arizona CC

Mark Iannotti a 6'2" 220 dual threat QB from Eastern Michigan University

I see Lennon still hasn't seen a transfer he doesn't like. xrolleyesx

clenz
January 15th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I see Lennon still hasn't seen a transfer he doesn't like. xrolleyesx

It's not an off season if SIU doesn't lead the nation in FBS transfers

underdawg
January 16th, 2014, 07:30 AM
It's not an off season if SIU doesn't lead the nation in FBS transfers

Clearly, you really don't want to contribute to this particular thread--4 posts and little to give except the same old trolling to get into a fight over "amounts of transfers SIU gets". perhaps you can find another thread in which you can say something useful

jimbo65
January 16th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Just read that Josh Klecko, son of former Jet, Joe Klecko, a 6'2", 260 lb DL, has transferred from Rutgers to Fordham. Perhaps undersized for Big Ten but that will likely not be a factor in FCS.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Clearly, you really don't want to contribute to this particular thread--4 posts and little to give except the same old trolling to get into a fight over "amounts of transfers SIU gets". perhaps you can find another thread in which you can say something useful

It is pretty comical how many transfers SIU gets every year to no avail.

msupokes1
January 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Who cares if we are actively pursuing him. The kid is a good quarterback who has been in no trouble. Just looking for more playing time. I'll take that anytime.

clenz
January 16th, 2014, 09:33 AM
It is pretty comical how many transfers SIU gets every year to no avail.

I'm just shocked he didn't mention an SIU victory over UNI...

Seriously though, SIU brings in a half dozen plus transfers per year and how many do anything?

Cocky
January 16th, 2014, 11:22 AM
JSUs transfers I know about:

LaMichael Fanning
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4166121

Christian LeMay
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4152948

Shaq Fluker
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5234714

underdawg
January 16th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I'm just shocked he didn't mention an SIU victory over UNI...

Seriously though, SIU brings in a half dozen plus transfers per year and how many do anything?

OK if you insist
27-14 win in 2008

27-20 win in 2009

45-38 win in 2010

34-31 win in 2012

27-24 win in 2013

Thanks for reminding me partner!

Bisonator
January 16th, 2014, 02:30 PM
OK if you insist
27-14 win in 2008

27-20 win in 2009

45-38 win in 2010

34-31 win in 2012

27-24 win in 2013

Thanks for reminding me partner!

What happened in 2011? Not enough transfers? ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 16th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Just read that Josh Klecko, son of former Jet, Joe Klecko, a 6'2", 260 lb DL, has transferred from Rutgers to Fordham. Perhaps undersized for Big Ten but that will likely not be a factor in FCS.

That's a good get for Fordham! What he lacks in size he'll make up for in tenacity and football IQ....

underdawg
January 18th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Yah Bisonator, even a blind squirrel's team like Clez's finds a win acorn-win every once in a while. He should devote his boundless energy to figuring how the Panthers are going to get their first win in Carbondale in over 12 years next Fall instead of bragging how they have dominated Eastern Washington.

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2014, 07:04 PM
Southeastern Louisiana Adds Five ... a sixth expected to be official on Thursday.

http://lionsports.net/news/2014/1/22/FB_0122144515.aspx

centennial
January 22nd, 2014, 07:22 PM
Southeastern Louisiana Adds Five ... a sixth expected to be official on Thursday.

http://lionsports.net/news/2014/1/22/FB_0122144515.aspx
Any reason why you guys are so big on transfers? Why not red shirt kids and teach them the system?

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Any reason why you guys are so big on transfers? Why not red shirt kids and teach them the system?

You'll have to ask our coaching staff ... they're trying to win championships. We do redshirt kids as well.

clenz
January 22nd, 2014, 07:32 PM
You'll have to ask our coaching staff ... they're trying to win championships. We do redshirt kids as well.
Who was the last team to win a title using that many...or even a *fair* amount of transfers?

I'd guess it's been a while..and few and far between.

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Who was the last team to win a title using that many...or even a *fair* amount of transfers?

I'd guess it's been a while..and few and far between.

I look at this way ... we won our first Southland title under this coaching staff, and finished in the Top 10 in the country for the first time ... they also had a track record of success at the D-2 level, which included a NC appearance ... we return the bulk of our team in 2014 and just addressed our biggest needs ... I'll let them figure out the best way to run our program.

McNeese72
January 23rd, 2014, 07:59 AM
McNeese announced three transfer signees. Rb's from Miss. St. and Ark. and a LB/DE from a J.C.

http://www.mcneesesports.com/news/2014/1/22/FB_0122142141.aspx

Doc

Bisonator
January 23rd, 2014, 08:20 AM
I can see signing 1-2 transfers to fill a need or add depth to a position or 2 but if your adding a bunch of guys that will be gone in 1-2 years your doing a disservice to your program in the long run.

Texas
January 23rd, 2014, 09:13 AM
I can see signing 1-2 transfers to fill a need or add depth to a position or 2 but if your adding a bunch of guys that will be gone in 1-2 years your doing a disservice to your program in the long run.

Exactly. Sure you will make a run or two but over the long run you are completely rebuilding every year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2014, 10:50 AM

We'll see.

Texas
January 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
We'll see.
PreFritz SHSU is a good example.

Bisonator
January 23rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
We'll see.

Good luck.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 23rd, 2014, 01:32 PM

Current SIU is a good example.

McNeese75
January 23rd, 2014, 01:48 PM

Yep

clenz
January 23rd, 2014, 02:51 PM
Current SIU is a good example.

This.

Keeler did it at UD as well....look how it turned out for him at the end. He has less depth than most junior high programs

NDSUstudent
January 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
We'll see.

This will be fun.

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2014, 03:32 PM
This will be fun.

Add two more...

http://lionsports.net/news/2014/1/23/FB_0123142400.aspx

McNeese72
January 24th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Add two more...

http://lionsports.net/news/2014/1/23/FB_0123142400.aspx

How do you guys avoid APR problems with all the turnover you seem to have?

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
How do you guys avoid APR problems with all the turnover you seem to have?

What turnover are you referring to?

McNeese72
January 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
What turnover are you referring to?

Players. With the amount of players SLU brings in every recruiting year, you have to have some attrition with players leaving. How can you be doing that and not eventually run into APR problems? I guess they all leave in good academic standing, right?

Doc

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Players. With the amount of players SLU brings in every recruiting year, you have to have some attrition with players leaving. How can you be doing that and not eventually run into APR problems? I guess they all leave in good academic standing, right?

Doc

Most of the attrition happened during the coaching transition between Lucas and Roberts, but since then, we've had relatively little. We've had a couple of kids transfer, a couple more suffer career ending injuries, and a couple more give up football to focus on school, but for the most part, kids are leaving the program in good academic standing. We're not perfect by any means, but from an academic standpoint, we had a great year in 2013, leading the Southland Conference in total number of football members on the Academic Honor Roll with 46.

On the subject of transfers - We get blasted for taking a lot of JC kids under Roberts, but for the most part, they have proven to be solid to very good students, several of whom have already graduated, or are on track to graduate in May. Same thing with FBS transfers. We'll see how the next wave pans out, but so far, so good. The thing people to understand is everything we do from a compliance standpoint is audited and combed through by the NCAA.

McTailGator
January 24th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Most of the attrition happened during the coaching transition between Lucas and Roberts, but since then, we've had relatively little. We've had a couple of kids transfer, a couple more suffer career ending injuries, and a couple more give up football to focus on school, but for the most part, kids are leaving the program in good academic standing. We're not perfect by any means, but from an academic standpoint, we had a great year in 2013, leading the Southland Conference in total number of football members on the Academic Honor Roll with 46.

On the subject of transfers - We get blasted for taking a lot of JC kids under Roberts, but for the most part, they have proven to be solid to very good students, several of whom have already graduated, or are on track to graduate in May. Same thing with FBS transfers. We'll see how the next wave pans out, but so far, so good. The thing people to understand is everything we do from a compliance standpoint is audited and combed through by the NCAA.
How's that workin out for ya?

lionsrking2
January 24th, 2014, 10:33 PM
How's that workin out for ya?

How's what working?

Nickels
January 24th, 2014, 11:22 PM
The thing people to understand is everything we do from a compliance standpoint is audited and combed through by the NCAA.
I sure as hell hope so considering the 137 ineligible athletes SELA was recently caught using.

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I sure as hell hope so considering the 137 ineligible athletes SELA was recently caught using.

We weren't "recently caught" using 137 ineligible athletes. We self-reported (years ago) a compliance misinterpretation, as well as poor record keeping, over a period of several years, which triggered 137 kids being ruled ineligible through no fault of their own. Most were very good students, who would have otherwise been eligible, and went on to graduate. No current athletes were involved.

Bisonoline
January 25th, 2014, 01:00 AM

Why dont you tell the whole truth of what happened? Instead you tell a very small part of the story to just be a troll.

73Lion
January 25th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Why dont you tell the whole truth of what happened? Instead you tell a very small part of the story to just be a troll.

He just can't handle the fact that his Bearkats lost to our "lowly" SLU Lions twice in one season. I mean really, how is it possible for a Texas team to lose to a Louisiana team TWICE in one season? In his mind the only reason that happened is because, according to him, half of our team was recruited from Compton California, which I guess translates to them being "thugs", and also that we cheated using 137 ineligible athletes, ALL football players, all used in one single season JUST to beat Sam Houston State. That's all we wanted and we did it!!

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2014, 01:41 PM
according to him, half of our team was recruited from Compton California, which I guess translates to them being "thugs"

Which is ironic, considering our ONE, AND ONLY, player from Compton, Ca. graduated in December, and is a contender for the team's Academic Award. Fine young man!

Texas
January 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
He just can't handle the fact that his Bearkats lost to our "lowly" SLU Lions twice in one season. I mean really, how is it possible for a Texas team to lose to a Louisiana team TWICE in one season? In his mind the only reason that happened is because, according to him, half of our team was recruited from Compton California, which I guess translates to them being "thugs", and also that we cheated using 137 ineligible athletes, ALL football players, all used in one single season JUST to beat Sam Houston State. That's all we wanted and we did it!!
Could be worse, we got beat by a overloaded team with transfers from California. It's not like we got shut out 70-0 and embarrassed.

Nickels
January 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM
LOL! SHSU was a mediocre, injury plagued, .500 team with an awful D last year. Your best team ever beat them by 1 one point..at home. Not exactly heart breaking. Most SHSU fans knew we weren't going far after the Lamar & McNeese game.

When did I mention anything about thugs, California or cheating this year? Now your talking completely out of your ass and being an over dramatic cry baby. Nice try attempting to put words into my mouth you coonass moron.

Like it or not, SELA lacked any form institutional control for a couple of years, so yes, the NCAA is going to be up your ass. It is what it is. Don't get pissy at me because it's embarrassing.

Enjoy your next magical run to the quarter finals. All 3k bandwagon fans should be proud. Maybe ya'll can build on this run and get SOME ****ING BATHROOMS.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 25th, 2014, 02:31 PM
LOL! SHSU was a mediocre, injury plagued, .500 team with an awful D last year. Your best team ever beat them by 1 one point..at home. Not exactly heart breaking. Most SHSU fans knew we weren't going far after the Lamar & McNeese game.

When did I mention anything about thugs, California or cheating this year? Now your talking completely out of your ass and being an over dramatic cry baby. Nice try attempting to put words into my mouth you coonass moron.

Like it or not, SELA lacked any form institutional control for a couple of years, so yes, the NCAA is going to be up your ass. It is what it is. Don't get pissy at me because it's embarrassing.

Enjoy your next magical run to the quarter finals. All 3k bandwagon fans should be proud. Maybe ya'll can build on this run and get SOME ****ING BATHROOMS.

Give them a break. How many of them are used to going indoors?

Nickels
January 25th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Give them a break. How many of them are used to going indoors?
Judging by their smell, I'm pretty sure they just piss and **** on themselves.

McNeese75
January 26th, 2014, 11:32 AM

You have a new coach sporting sunglasses that walks on water. Man up and schedule the Lions this year and put your money where you mouth is.

Oldschool Colonel
January 26th, 2014, 12:33 PM

No wonder you got roughed up a bit in Hammond! With an attitude like that, your family would still be waiting for your return from Thibodeaux!

Nickels
January 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
You have a new coach sporting sunglasses that walks on water. Man up and schedule the Lions this year and put your money where you mouth is.

Yeah because I make the schedule and all. "Money where your mouth is" would an ok response if I said their team sucked, they couldn't beat us, etc. It makes no sense in this instance.

Damn, people in that state are getting even stupider somehow.

Pop quiz. How can you tell the difference between a McNeese and SELA fan?

Trick question. You cant.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/olemiss1088/FatLSU.png

Texas
January 26th, 2014, 01:36 PM
No wonder you got roughed up a bit in Hammond! With an attitude like that, your family would still be waiting for your return from Thibodeaux!
Coonasses coming out in force!

Nickels
January 26th, 2014, 01:53 PM

I didn't know anything about Hammond before this year. My attitude comes squarely from the actions of those trashy douchebags.

I was far from getting roughed up. SELA fans are pussies. They throw **** when people aren't looking and call woman by themselves bitches and whores when they walk by. However when you get in one of their faces, they run away with their tail between their legs and go narc to UPD. Straight up classless cowards.

I'm glad the conference split. Going into that **** hole state (sans Natchitoches, great people and community) a couple times a year has become one hell of a chore. It's a damn shame that Beaumont is the nicest area between Houston & Gulfport. That ought to tell you something about the cities in between.

McNeese75
January 26th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I didn't know anything about Hammond before this year. My attitude comes squarely from the actions of those trashy douchebags.

I was far from getting roughed up. SELA fans are pussies. They throw **** when people aren't looking and call woman by themselves bitches and whores when they walk by. However when you get in one of their faces, they run away with their tail between their legs and go narc to UPD. Straight up classless cowards.

I'm glad the conference split. Going into that **** hole state (sans Natchitoches, great people and community) a couple times a year has become one hell of a chore. It's a damn shame that Beaumont is the nicest area between Houston & Gulfport. That ought to tell you something about the cities in between.

All that says is how clueless you really are. Oh and to followup on your pop quiz. Whats the difference between a McNeese and SHSU fan? McNeese fans show up xcoffeex

andy7171
January 27th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I see Towson got a Rutgers RB transfer. Ayers I think. He's from the Eastern Shore originally and wanted to come back closer to home.

Texas
January 27th, 2014, 10:11 AM
All that says is how clueless you really are. Oh and to followup on your pop quiz. Whats the difference between a McNeese and SHSU fan? McNeese fans show up xcoffeex

While watching their team get murdered in their first playoff game.

BEAR
January 27th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Has anyone noticed the recruiting by your coaches typically follows that of the nearest conference or not?

UCA has several kids they have either offered or are interested in that also have offers from Sunbelt teams.

I was just wondering if it was coincidental because the kids are regional or is the Sunbelt fighting for kids against local conferences like the SLC. It was just interesting to see their names with offers from so many sunbelt teams like ASU and such.

McNeese75
January 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM
While watching their team get murdered in their first playoff game.

Ohhhhhhh Lumberton right? And you attend all the away games right? Oops, sorry I had you confused with a real fan.

lionsrking2
January 27th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Has anyone noticed the recruiting by your coaches typically follows that of the nearest conference or not?

UCA has several kids they have either offered or are interested in that also have offers from Sunbelt teams.

I was just wondering if it was coincidental because the kids are regional or is the Sunbelt fighting for kids against local conferences like the SLC. It was just interesting to see their names with offers from so many sunbelt teams like ASU and such.

I would venture to say most SLC schools are recruiting players with Sun Belt offers, or have serious Sun Belt interest. I'm sure Ohio Valley, SWAC and a few So-Con schools experience the same thing ... not that surprising. And some are recruiting kids with C-USA and AAC interest as well.

underdawg
January 27th, 2014, 04:38 PM
SIU fights with a bunch of MAC teams for recruits--but so far we stole 6'3" 245 pound OLB Jaylon Graham(Eustis Florida three star)) who had offers from Arizona State and Memphis, also Tori Millender a 6'1" 230 pound ILB from Belleville West (Three star) who was offered by Purdue and Two star rivals Jefferson Vea (6' 180) a CB from Mt. Dora Fla. Vea was offered by Memphis, Bowling Green, Kent State, Ohio, Florida International and Florida Atlantic.

Skyhawk71
January 31st, 2014, 11:38 PM

I'm going regional, we run up head to head with Arkansas State and Western Kentucky; we also go head to head with Memphis, and sometimes get the guys- with your location I'm assuming ULL, ULM and ASU are the main ones that you guys go against.

caribbeanhen
February 1st, 2014, 07:52 AM
I see Towson got a Rutgers RB transfer. Ayers I think. He's from the Eastern Shore originally and wanted to come back closer to home.

Salisbury, MD of good ole Eastern Shore..... I wonder if the thought of Newark, De even entered his mind ..... not sure if he was at Rutgers with Brock though...

knucklehead
February 4th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Liberty just picked up a TE transfer from WVU http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/west-virginia-transfer-joins-liberty-football-program/article_a8fe582a-8da4-11e3-bcd8-001a4bcf6878.html

Former West Virginia tight end Will Johnson joined the program and enrolled in school for the spring semester. Johnson redshirted in 2012, his only season in Morgantown, and he informed the school in August he intended to transfer.
Johnson, a 6-foot-6, 245-pound sophomore, will have three seasons of eligibility remaining. Johnson began his career at tight end before West Virginia moved him to an inside receiver position.

bjtheflamesfan
February 4th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Nice pickup in a position of need with only one TE with game experience returning for 2014. Time will tell now much of a contribution he makes.

Skyhawk71
February 5th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Tennessee-Martin Mid-Year: FBS- Manny Stocker (QB) NC State; Nicolas Dance (LB) Western Michigan; Tyriq Patrick (WR) Memphis- Stocker looks pretty good on tape from NC State; others we shall see;
JUCO- Rueben Duckworth (RB) Jones County J.C. MS; Taylor Higgason (WR) Jones County J.C. MS; Shante Rogers (WR) Itawamba C.C. MS; Jaquille White (DB) Northeast Mississippi J.C.

bjtheflamesfan
February 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Eh...id temper expectations on any FBS transfer really

Skyhawk71
February 7th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Eh...id temper expectations on any FBS transfer really

Last year we ran a 2 quarterback system- I like to call it the 0 quarterback system- so I have to rest all hope on Manny..........

katstrapper
February 9th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Sam Houston Mid year transfers..

Lance Duran LB 5-11 217 Austin / Westlake H.S. (Blinn JC)
Kiel Heidman LB 6-1 225 Houston / Clear Lake H.S. (Blinn JC)
Trenier Orr CB 5-11 177 Winter Garden, Fla. / Ocoee H.S. (Cincinnati)
Contereze Pierce CB 5-9 180 Jonesboro, Ga. / Jonesboro (Highland CC Kan.)
Grant Shaw OL 6-6 310 Athens / Athens H.S. (Trinity Valley CC)

Danco
February 14th, 2014, 03:26 AM
katstrapper. Those look like good additions that will help fill needs that SHSU has for this coming year. Congratulations.

Sam Houston Mid year transfers..

Lance Duran LB 5-11 217 Austin / Westlake H.S. (Blinn JC)
Kiel Heidman LB 6-1 225 Houston / Clear Lake H.S. (Blinn JC)
Trenier Orr CB 5-11 177 Winter Garden, Fla. / Ocoee H.S. (Cincinnati)
Contereze Pierce CB 5-9 180 Jonesboro, Ga. / Jonesboro (Highland CC Kan.)
Grant Shaw OL 6-6 310 Athens / Athens H.S. (Trinity Valley CC)

Danco
February 14th, 2014, 03:42 AM
A special request is being submitted for a custom bathroom, complete with seat warmers. It will be a Ladies Restroom and Powder Room, but in response to Nickels ongoing complaints - he will be given special permission to utilize those facilities.

slostang
February 16th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Cal Poly:

Burton De Koning, Linebacker, 6-2, 225, Folsom, CA (Folsom HS/Nevada)
De Koning transfers to Cal Poly from Nevada, where he redshirted the 2011 season, played 10 games as a backup linebacker as well as on on special teams in 2012 and played in all 12 games as a sophomore in 2013, mostly on special teams, with 11 total tackles (seven solo). He has two years of eligibility remaining at Cal Poly. De Koning is a graduate of Folsom High School, where he lettered three times in football under head coach Kris Richardson and led the team to a 14-1 record, Delta River League title, CIF-Sac-Joaquin Section Division II title and California state Division II championship as a senior. He was named first-team All-Delta River League as a junior and senior, earned first-team all-area honors from the Sacramento Bee, was named second-team All-NorCal and third-team All-State as a senior and was team defensive MVP after recording 78 total tackles (49 solo), including 12 sacks, and one forced fumble. De Koning also was a second-team all-league selection in baseball as a senior and was a two-time letterwinner on the diamond as an outfielder. He hit .327 in his senior season (2011) with 16 RBI. Cal Poly's football roster is dotted with other Folsom High School graduates, including Dano Graves, Carson McMurtrey, Tanner Trosin and Stephen Sippel. De Koning chose to transfer to Cal Poly because "it has a great reputation for academics and I have past teammates that play here. Cal Poly football is going to be great in the years to come. The possibility of playing baseball is awesome, too. I love the town. San Luis Obispo is beautiful."

Solomon Dixon, Defensive Back, 5-9, 175, Honolulu, HI (McKinley HS/Idaho)
Dixon played for two seasons at the University of Idaho as a cornerback after a redshirt year and will have two years of eligibility remaining at Cal Poly. As a redshirt freshman in 2012, Dixon played in all 12 games with four starts for the Vandals and led the team with three interceptions (Utah State, North Carolina, Bowling Green). He recorded 36 total tackles (27 solo), including three for lost yardage, and also blocked one kick (against Wyoming). He made nine tackles (seven solo) against San Jose State. Last fall, Dixon played the first five games before injury cut short his sophomore season, earning 31 total tackles (29 solo), including three for lost yardage and one sack. He also intercepted a pass against Wyoming and, in his two seasons with the Vandals, had six pass breakups and four interceptions. As a freshman, Dixon earned College Sports Madness All-Independent first-team and Phil Steele All-Independent second-team honors as a cornerback. Dixon is a 2011 graduate of McKinley High School in Honolulu, where he was one of the top recruits of the Hawai'i class of 2011. As a senior under head coach Bobby Grey in 2010, he earned recognition as the Oahu Interscholastic Association White Offensive Player of the Year, the OIA White first-team utility, the OIA White first-team defensive back and the Honolulu Star-Advertiser All-State utility. As a junior, he was a second-team all-state player by the Honolulu Star Bulletin and an honorable mention choice of the Honolulu Advertiser. He also was on the 2009 all-Katoosh team, which recognizes the hardest hitters. Dixon rushed for a school-record 267 yards against Waialua in 2010 and rushed for over 100 yards in five other games, finishing with 1,165 yards in nine games. Dixon also competed in track and was the 2009 state 400-meter champion and was third in the state in the 200 meters as a sophomore. As a junior, he finished third in the 400 and fifth in the 200. Dixon chose to transfer to Cal Poly because "the coaches treated me like family and made me feel comfortable to call this my home for the next two years."

Calvin Sandeen, Offensive Line, 6-6, 275, Windsor, CA (El Molino HS/Santa Rosa College)
Sandmen is a transfer from Santa Rosa Junior College, where he utilized a redshirt year and played two seasons under head coach Lenny Wagner. He has two years of eligibility remaining at Cal Poly. Sandeen started on an offensive line last fall that generated 356 yards and 30 points per game. He started the first five games before suffering a season-ending knee injury. Santa Rosa finished 6-5 in 2013. As a freshman in 2012, Sandeen started eight games at right tackle. As a senior in 2010 at El Molino High School in Forestville, Sandeen caught three passes, one for a touchdown, and made 30 tackles, breaking up a pair of passes as well en route to a spot on the All-Sonoma County League first team as a defensive end. Sandeen, who was selected to play in the Kiwanis High School All-Star Game for the Sonoma County League All-Stars, also played basketball and volleyball at El Molino High. Sandeen was recruited by UC Davis, Colorado State, Wyoming and Old Dominion, choosing Cal Poly because "the area is awesome and the coaches have great chemistry with the players. The school is phenomenal and overall it is the perfect place for a guy like me. Cal Poly has a great business and economics program that caught my attention and the area, football team and coaches made me feel welcome and at home." Sandeen plans to major in economics and enjoys white water rafting and cooking big meals for friends and family.

Logan Mayes, DE, 6-3, 241, Eugene, OR (Marist Catholic HS/Washington State)
Logan Mayes, son of former Washington State All-American running back Rueben Mayes, has transferred from Washington State and is attending classes during the Winter Quarter at Cal Poly. Mayes, a redshirt in 2013 after playing two seasons as a defensive end for the Cougars, has two years of eligibility remaining. He is majoring in business administration at Cal Poly. "His forté is that he is a great pass rusher at the Pac-12 level, which is an area we need to improve," said Cal Poly head football coach Tim Walsh. "He could possibly step right in, but he has to beat out some guys." Four Cal Poly defensive ends on last fall's depth chart were seniors, including starters Andrew Alcaraz and Nick Leyden. Grant Goebel and Kyle Maddux also saw much playing time as backups. Returning to that position are sophomores-to-be Josh Letuligasenoa, Colin Dzubnar and Kelly Shepard plus seniors Jake Irwin and Wesley Flowers. "Logan just wants to be an every-down player, and with us, he's a pass rush specialist," Washington State head coach Mike Leach told KJR 950-AM in Seattle, noting that Mayes is a bit undersized to defend the run at the Pac-12 level. "He wants to be an every down player and feels like he's got the opportunity to do that, and we wish him the best. And I do think he's going to do a great job." Mayes, 6-3, 241, appeared in seven games as a freshman at Washington State, mostly in pass rushing situations. He recorded a sack in his collegiate debut at Colorado and notched a solo tackle in the Apple Cup against Washington. Mayes also was named Scout Team Defensive Player of the week against Idaho State. As a sophomore, Mayes appeared in all 12 games with three starts. He tallied 26 tackles (15 solo), including 3.5 tackles for lost yardage, and also recorded 2.5 sacks and forced one fumble. In his first career start, a Cougar win at UNLV, Mayes made four tackles. He also notched two tackles, including a sack, and a pair of quarterback hurries in Washington State's win over Eastern Washington. He made a sack against Colorado and a half-sack at Oregon State. Mayes' career high for tackles in a game is six at Utah and he also made three tackles, all solo, including one for lost yardage, in a loss at Stanford. Mayes made four tackles at Arizona State and, in a start in the Apple Cup, made five tackles and two quarterback hurries, forcing a Washington interception on its first play in overtime, in the COugars' victory. Mayes earned Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention praise in 2012. Mayes is a 2011 graduate of Marist Catholic High School in Eugene, Oregon, where he earned three varsity letters in football and one in lacrosse. He was named Oregon's 5A Defensive Player of the Year at linebacker and was a first-team all-state selection on the offensive line as well. Mayes helped Marist to the state 4A title and 14-0 record as a junior. The following year, Marist was 12-1 and state 5A runner-up, a season in which Mayes notched 13.5 sacks among his 84 tackles. Mayes' father played seven years in the National Football, five with the New Orleans Saints and two with the Seattle Seahawks. He was named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1986 when he rushed for 1,353 yards and eight touchdowns while also notching 17 receptions for 96 yards. He was selected to play in two Pro Bowls and rushed for 3,484 yards and 23 touchdowns in his NFL career. Reuben Mayes finished 10th in the Heisman Trophy race after rushing for 1,632 yards in 1985. He set a then-NCAA and current Pac-12 record by rushing for 357 yards against Oregon in 1984 and finished his Washington State career with 3,519 rushing yards.