PDA

View Full Version : MEAC Fines Bethune-Cookman Coach Jenkins

superman7515
November 7th, 2013, 08:33 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/nccu/x1866988382/MEAC-fines-Bethune-Cookman-coach-after-NCCU-game

DURHAM —Judge for yourself whether Bethune-Cookman University football coach Brian Jenkins deserved the fine he received from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference for what he said regarding the officiating during his team's 38-14 win over N.C. Central University at O'Kelly-Riddick Stadium in Durham, N.C., on Nov. 2.

I spoke with Jenkins immediately after the game, and -- if you can tolerate the marching band in the background -- that exchange is right here: http://johnmccann.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Jenkins-MEAC.mp3

The officials flagged Bethune-Cookman 24 times for 232 yards, which was more than the 137 yards of real estate that NCCU acquired on offense.

In the first quarter of that game, Jenkins was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct...

citdog
November 7th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Saw this earlier in the week. 232yds? Seems kind of excessive.......RAIDER like even

ElCid
November 7th, 2013, 09:31 PM
232 yards on 25 penalties in one game? You have got to be kidding. We may not have as good a record, but The Citadel has an FCS low for penalties of only 221 yards on 27 penalties after NINE GAMES. Poor coaching. Looks as if they have a habit for committing penalties, and this will bite them in the playoffs.

superman7515
November 7th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Looks as if they have a habit for committing penalties, and this will bite them in the playoffs.

Don't forget the hissy fit he threw during the playoffs last season. Pretty sure he got fined by the conference then too. He was still complaining this past June that BCU was better than Coastal Carolina.

Humble Steward
November 8th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Honestly guys and trying not to be biased because I'm a Wildcat. The officiating in the MEAC can be less than desirable at times. This was one of these occasions. Attached below is a comment from a fellow Wildcat and it pretty much sums up the difference in officiating when we play OOC games vs. MEAC officiating. I believe Jenkins was right in this occasion.

What's real interesting about the officiating of B-CU games this year is a comparsion of OOC games vs. Meac officiated games. In the 1st game of the season, (TSU )OVC officials flagged the Cats 5 times for 35 yards. In Game 3 vs. (FIU) Conf. USA officials flagged the Cats 6 times for 30 yards. In Game 4 vs. (FSU) ACC officials flagged the Cats 8 times for 59 yards. That's a total of 19 penalties for 149 yards over 3 games against OOC competition. But a Meac officiating crew far exceeded these numbers in game which also happened to be in the 9th game of the season. Most teams often minimize their penalties as the season progresses, I guess that notion doesn't hold true for us Cats in the Meac. In all my years of broadcasting football at the high school or collegiate levels I have never witnessed a debacle the likes of Saturday past in Durham. It was truly a sad and embarrassing in the annals of Meac football.

DSUrocks07
November 8th, 2013, 08:28 AM
MEAC refs

superman7515
November 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
MEAC refs

Shannon Eastin was one of the absolute worst MEAC refs (or any conference for that matter), and she ended up a replacement ref in the NFL. One more reason that didn't last long.

http://atlantablackstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/678571-240x300.jpg

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Have yall seen my siggy? xlolx

Darlinikki150
November 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I can not imagine having that many penalties in a game. The Fargo dome would blow up! We freak out at the refs if they throw 5 flags in a game.

No team w a winning record can be that undisciplined. I think the coach had a right to bitch. But w that he has to know they are gonna fine His ass for speaking out.

And I thought the MVFC had bad refs, uffda!

blukeys
November 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Everyone believes that their own conference has the worst refs of all time. Certainly, I did.

However, I have been catching some MEAC games since the 80's. I got to see some great players and great individual performances including that of DSU's John Taylor. (Taylor was the "other" wide receiver on the great 49er teams. He made the catch that won the 49ers first Super Bowl.) I have never seen any worse refs than the MEAC. I cringe when I hear that MEAC refs are doing a playoff game. (Ask Lafayette fans what they thought of the referees during the LC - UD playoff game of 2004.)

I honestly believe that the inconsistent and just plain poor refs of the MEAC holds MEAC teams back. Players are never sure what will and will not be called in a given game. Coaches cannot depend on quality refs to reinforce what coaches teach as proper technique. Despite having very good athletes, MEAC players are at a disadvantage because many times their skills and techniques are behind players of other conferences. I know my share of current and former MEAC coaches and this is not due to a lack of effort or knowledge on their part.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Shannon Eastin was one of the absolute worst MEAC refs (or any conference for that matter), and she ended up a replacement ref in the NFL. One more reason that didn't last long.

http://atlantablackstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/678571-240x300.jpg

Was Shannon Eastin's crew working the B-CU game in question? I have covered games she has worked several times. Not a pretty sight for her MEAC crew.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I can not imagine having that many penalties in a game. The Fargo dome would blow up! We freak out at the refs if they throw 5 flags in a game.

No team w a winning record can be that undisciplined. I think the coach had a right to bitch. But w that he has to know they are gonna fine His ass for speaking out.

And I thought the MVFC had bad refs, uffda!
I had a prep game I covered in North Carolina several years ago and the teams combined for over 200 yards each in penalties. And yes, you can blame the officials for that. It was horrendous.

Darlinikki150
November 10th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I had a prep game I covered in North Carolina several years ago and the teams combined for over 200 yards each in penalties. And yes, you can blame the officials for that. It was horrendous.

That just ruins the game. No flow, tough for the players to get in any sort of rhythm. I can't believe they keep refs employed who show they can't do their jobs right.