View Full Version : NDSU/GSU gameday articles

Hansel
October 7th, 2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/142066

Strong season goes unnoticed
By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
Published Saturday, October 07, 2006
· advertisement ·
STATESBORO, Ga. – North Dakota State punter Mike Dragosavich is on pace for one of the Division I-AA’s most productive seasons ever. Too bad nobody is noticing.

Not only is NDSU not counted in the I-AA statistics because it is reclassifying from Division II, Dragosavich has not punted enough times to qualify for the minimum number of boots. He has 11 punts for a 51.5-yard average heading into today’s game at Georgia Southern.

The minimum statistical requirement is 3.6 punts per game.

“That’s a good thing – keeping me off the field,” Dragosavich said. “It means we’re doing a good job on offense. ... When you need me, I’ll try to hit it as high and far as possible.”

Not only is he booming them high and far, he’s stuck five inside the 20-yard line. He’s had three touchbacks. His net average of 41.8 yards per punt (kick minus the return) is tops in I-AA.

Legend built Ga. Southern into a power
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/142068
By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
STATESBORO, Ga. – Erk Russell spoke to the Georgia Southern football team the Thursday before the Eagles’ season opener last month. He had them laughing, crying and screaming – all in a matter of several minutes.

The next morning, the legendary coach died at the age of 80. It’s taken a few weeks, but the beloved football community in the trees of southeast Georgia is beginning to recover.

Today, they’ll celebrate another Saturday at Paulson Stadium when North Dakota State comes to town. The red clay parking lots will be overflowing with tailgaters. The 15,000 actual seats will be close to full and another few thousand will litter the hillside that surrounds the stadium.

It’s the house that Erk built.

“The man never forgot a name,” said John Mulherin, president of the Southern Boosters. “He was a guy you want your son to play football for. You just didn’t want to let him down.”

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/15701092.htm
Bison set to take on weather, Eagles
By Mike Brown
TELEGRAPH CORRESPONDENT
STATESBORO - The weather this time of year in South and Middle Georgia is ideal. After what the region has endured the past few months, a football game on a fall afternoon is something to enjoy and cherish.

http://new.savannahnow.com/node/152728
Eagles lining up as underdogs vs. Bison
Sports
Donald Heath | Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 12:30 am
Georgia Southern meets North Dakota State today

STATESBORO - Remember the old days when a big, strong talented football team from the North with the reputation of stopping the run ran into Georgia Southern?

Remember when the Eagles faced Montana's nation-leading rushing defense in the 2000 Division I-AA national championship game and slotback Mark Myers ran 73 yards with an option pitch on the opening play from scrimmage, producing more rushing yards than the Grizzlies' average?

These days aren't those days in Statesboro.

Times change. GSU (2-2) plays smashmouth football now, and its new offensive mentality will be challenged at 1 p.m. today when 11th-ranked North Dakota State (4-0) brings a run defense that allows the fewest yards in Division I to Paulson Stadium.

It's an intriguing non-conference matchup for the 21st-ranked Eagles, who are beginning a key three-game homestand.

"They're the best line we've seen, but we feel confident in our abilities," GSU center Lance Wayne said. "It's up to us in the trenches."

Although GSU runs a traditional multiple offense, it still relies on the run. Tailbacks Chris Covington and Lamar Lewis head an attack that averages 241 rushing yards a game, the sixth-best attack in I-AA.

But the Bison's defense surrenders only 29 yards a game on the ground.

When Georgia Southern (2-2) and North Dakota State (4-0) face off at 1 p.m. today at Paulson Stadium, game time temperature is projected to be 80 degrees. It will be a game played on what writers like to describe as a "sunsplashed field."

But that's not ideal if you're from North Dakota. To Bison head coach Craig Bohl that's like an early August day in downtown Macon.

"The change of climate comes into play," Bohl said. "Conditioning comes into play."

This game is somewhat akin to two years ago when South Dakota State visited Paulson for an Oct. 30 game. The Jackrabbits left home with snow on the ground and landed in temperatures in the 80s. Before the first half ended, players were cramping and fatigued. It didn't help that the Eagles were overwhelmingly good, en route to a 63-7 win.