PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina at Georgia Southern

The Cats
November 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM
The Cats have never won in Statesboro, and own a 2-21 record against the Eagles.

Could this be the week the Catamounts end both their road losing streak, and the 18 straight losses against GSU? It could be a sad Homecoming weekend for the folks in Statesboro, as the Cats see their opportunity to start a little winning streak. Not saying it's going to happen, but it certainly is a real possibility.

citdog
November 4th, 2013, 01:52 PM
It would make me very happy if pigs ass and appy both lost to the catamounts.

The Cats
November 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM

If it would make you happy, just think what it would mean to Catamount Fans.

Ivytalk
November 4th, 2013, 03:34 PM
xtwocentsxI don't see Monken's men losing GSU's final home game as an FCS team. GSU needs to beat WCU and Elon to avoid a losing record for the year.

blueballs
November 4th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I'd peg this as GSU -3.5 ONLY because it is in Statesboro. If McKinnon is healthy enough to play QB at anywhere approaching 100% that would go up to -7 to -10.

I don't have much confidence in GSU right now... they're beat up and beat down.

wcucat15
November 5th, 2013, 12:36 PM
This is definitely a winnable game for the CATS. We have been playing well as of late and the Eagles are down. This could be the year we win in Statesboro.

MarkCCU
November 5th, 2013, 02:35 PM
My cousin is on the offensive line so I hope WCU wins. Both teams are interesting to exarch but I haven't paid enough attention this year.

Sent from my iPhone

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I think the mindset of WCU will make this game interesting.

They can certainly compete, they've turned a corner since the bye and have played probably their best 2 weeks of football back to back than they have in the last like 5 years.

GSU is probably the opposite.

SoCon2013
November 5th, 2013, 10:32 PM
The Cats have never won in Statesboro, and own a 2-21 record against the Eagles.

Could this be the week the Catamounts end both their road losing streak, and the 18 straight losses against GSU? It could be a sad Homecoming weekend for the folks in Statesboro, as the Cats see their opportunity to start a little winning streak. Not saying it's going to happen, but it certainly is a real possibility.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, my money would be on the darn gnats but my heart would be with the Catamounts. GSU just has so much luck on their side via Dirk (or whatever his name was). If they hadn't had 15 or so out for the ASU game last Saturday, they might have beaten App.

SoCon2013
November 5th, 2013, 10:36 PM

Hopefully Speir will use the extended half time to strategize successfully against the Gnats.

DoWe
November 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
blueballs is spot on. If JM is anywhere close to 100% the home team gets the win. Otherwise, I can see WCU taking it to the wire and perhaps pulling off the upset.

catamount man
November 6th, 2013, 09:44 AM
WCU 29
GSU 28

Another Sigmon game winning FG. GO CATS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Our South Georgia Teacher's College "Blue Tide" throwback unis for the game...

wcucat15
November 6th, 2013, 01:45 PM
WCU 27
GSU 17

I think the CATS will finally play 4 quarters and play better on offensive.

wcucat15
November 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Offensively

DoWe
November 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Ostensibly

SpeedkingATL
November 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM
The Cats have a chance against both GaSo and App this year, but being on the road will make those games tougher. Good luck against the Eagles.....not so much against the Mountaineers. The Jug does mean something.

seantaylor
November 7th, 2013, 01:29 AM
GSU beats WCU in Paulson if we only play walk ons. This series is the most lopsided as any in the country. Homecoming as well. We win by 20+ regardless who plays.

AshevilleApp2
November 7th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Good luck Cats! My new favorite FCS team in 2014.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2013, 06:55 AM
GSU beats WCU in Paulson if we only play walk ons. This series is the most lopsided as any in the country. Homecoming as well. We win by 20+ regardless who plays.

Wen't you the same fellow that predicted GSU would score 45 against Furman?

SoCon2013
November 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM
The Cats have a chance against both GaSo and App this year, but being on the road will make those games tougher. Good luck against the Eagles.....not so much against the Mountaineers. The Jug does mean something.

It certainly does to me, too.

SoCon2013
November 7th, 2013, 08:02 AM

LOL

CID1990
November 7th, 2013, 10:15 AM

That's what he's good for.

Milkman
November 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Our South Georgia Teacher's College "Blue Tide" throwback unis for the game...

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaSouthern/status/398523048044670976/photo/1

That is one interesting helmet......dare I say I like it. For a one off that is.

GATA_Eagles
November 7th, 2013, 05:20 PM

That is one interesting helmet......dare I say I like it. For a one off that is.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/07/ygera2ar.jpg

It's pretty close to the original leather one

Skjellyfetti
November 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM
one looks like a Jets, Packers and Bills hybrid but not in a good way.

Sounds like your current uni's.

SpeedkingATL
November 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/07/ygera2ar.jpg

It's pretty close to the original leather one

Maybe WCU could wear helmets with "Students" written across the front. xlolx

GATA_Eagles
November 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqGpzg8Cdg

This really shows how unlucky Western has been in the series. They won one game in 1941 and another game after we brought back football. We hold a 21-2-0 overall record against them

The Cats
November 8th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Don't expect a replay of the 2008 game. New team, different coaching staff, different attitude for the Cats. They now know they can go to GSU and win.

pike51
November 8th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I assumed it was and I'm glad they are being true to it. I looked up some old NDSU uni's and one looks like a Jets, Packers and Bills hybrid but not in a good way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/6329644161/in/photostream

Green and white top, Green and gold helmet and pants. Logo looks like an old Bills logo.

Why in the hell does anybody give 2 ****s about NDSU uniforms in a GSU vs WCU thread? You guys really are stuck up your own ass!

SoCon2013
November 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM

This really shows how unlucky Western has been in the series. They won one game in 1941 and another game after we brought back football. We hold a 21-2-0 overall record against them

Just shows that luck can be better than skill.

wcucat15
November 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I was so upset after that game. I could not believe that comeback.

eaglewraith
November 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I was so upset after that game. I could not believe that comeback.

I don't think you were the only one.

Sandlapper Spike
November 8th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Yes, that helmet is...different. The whole uniform is quite distinctive.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM

When you can't hold a 31-3 lead with about 14:00 left in the fourth quarter, it isn't bad luck.

blueballs
November 9th, 2013, 06:24 AM
I remember that game quite well. I left the computer when it was 31-3 to go watch the SEC game on CBS but kept checking back during commercials. I came back for good during the last drive of regulation.

There are some guys in that video I wish GSU had this year... Covington, Walker, Andrews, Camp just to name 4.

eaglewraith
November 9th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Don't expect a replay of the 2008 game. New team, different coaching staff, different attitude for the Cats. They now know they can go to GSU and win.

http://youtu.be/gvdf5n-zI14

Eagle22
November 9th, 2013, 09:39 PM
http://www.gsufans.com/graphics/fcs/mck2.jpg

Figured I'd throw a little old-school style photo (w/ some editing) in the thread to catalog the game and the throwback uniforms.

Can't say I'm a fan of them, but they did look better than I thought they would after hearing about them this past summer.

seantaylor
November 10th, 2013, 04:52 AM
I remember that game quite well. I left the computer when it was 31-3 to go watch the SEC game on CBS but kept checking back during commercials. I came back for good during the last drive of regulation.

There are some guys in that video I wish GSU had this year... Covington, Walker, Andrews, Camp just to name 4.

Some good ones. Could have all of those players and ten more just like them, but with that coach, it would only matter a whole bunch.

Mr.Johnny Dunn
February 9th, 2015, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Eagle22;2045682]http://www.gsufans.com/graphics/fcs/mck2.jpg

Where did you get the original photo?

Mr.Johnny Dunn
February 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Were did you get the original photo from this edit? It looks awesome! xnodx

parr90
February 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM

I see you still have the video of Monken down on your page. I believe we play Cit next season. Just curious after the punishing we deliver if you still keep the video?

PaladinFan
February 11th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I see you still have the video of Monken down on your page. I believe we play Cit next season. Just curious after the punishing we deliver if you still keep the video?

What makes you think GSU is going to punish the Citadel?

parr90
February 12th, 2015, 10:44 AM
What makes you think GSU is going to punish the Citadel?

Common Sense!

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Common Sense!

GSU went 4-4 in the SoCon in 2013 (before beating an SEC team). Went undefeated in the SunBelt in 2014.

Common sense suggests your schedule was easier.

parr90
February 12th, 2015, 12:27 PM
GSU went 4-4 in the SoCon in 2013 (before beating an SEC team). Went undefeated in the SunBelt in 2014.

If you really think our schedule was easier in 2014 your kidding yourself. I used the word punished jokingly. I just no Citdog hates GS by reading his comments in the past, but from what I have seen, the GS team under Fritz and the new system was much better than the year before hands down. To answer your question honestly I think GS will beat the Cit by 2 touchdowns or more. Punish would be more like 4 or 5 touchdowns. If Cit wins I will be a man and come back to take my medicine.

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2015, 01:13 PM
If you really think our schedule was easier in 2014 your kidding yourself. I used the word punished jokingly. I just no Citdog hates GS by reading his comments in the past, but from what I have seen, the GS team under Fritz and the new system was much better than the year before hands down. To answer your question honestly I think GS will beat the Cit by 2 touchdowns or more. Punish would be more like 4 or 5 touchdowns. If Cit wins I will be a man and come back to take my medicine.

For what its worth, I'd prefer to have you back in the SoCon.

Apphole
February 12th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Southern had the easiest schedule of the Belt last year. They played App at home and dodged Louisiana and stAte altogether. Their schedule was still much tougher than any SoCon member. Get real, man. Ask ANYONE in the world who doesn't post on AGS.

parr90
February 12th, 2015, 04:08 PM
For what its worth, I'd prefer to have you back in the SoCon.

I played at GS back in the 80's and only played Furman once in a loss in the 88 NC game. I will always miss the games against Furman and some of the other SOCON teams. Had a couple friends that played at Furman in the late 90's and and mid 2000's Adam and Pete Sanders.
Our schedule was easier than Apps no doubt and we played better early on than at the end, and App was the opposite. Plus we played Navy, TEch and NC State which we should have won the TEch and NC state games, those were hard losses considering the circumstances.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Southern had the easiest schedule of the Belt last year. They played App at home and dodged Louisiana and stAte altogether. Their schedule was still much tougher than any SoCon member. Get real, man. Ask ANYONE in the world who doesn't post on AGS.

So, they would have beaten Liberty?

Look, nobody cares about the SunBelt. Nobody cares about the SoCon. Unless you are a fan of one of about 15 schools nationally, no one cares what your team did or did not do, who they played, etc.

To save the kingdom, 99.9% of Americans cannot tell you who won the SunBelt in football this year. Same with the SoCon. It just doesn't matter.

blueballs
February 13th, 2015, 11:48 AM

GS was waaaaaaay healthier last year than in 2013, having a year under Ellison's (QB) belt really helped, and some previously unknown guys (particularly Breida and Ramsby) really came into their own. The schedule was tougher but GS was a far superior team in 2014 to 2013.

You guys at Furman should be able to appreciate how mass injuries can derail a season.

As for Citadel vs. GS, some really mediocre and bad Citadel teams have given some of GS's greatest teams all they wanted. They always seemed to play GS tough. I don't expect anything different this year. I would never bet on any sport but since GS is FBS there will be a line on that game that will favor GS by way too much and it will likely be easy money if you bet on Citadel.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM
GS was waaaaaaay healthier last year than in 2013, having a year under Ellison's (QB) belt really helped, and some previously unknown guys (particularly Breida and Ramsby) really came into their own. The schedule was tougher but GS was a far superior team in 2014 to 2013.

You guys at Furman should be able to appreciate how mass injuries can derail a season.

As for Citadel vs. GS, some really mediocre and bad Citadel teams have given some of GS's greatest teams all they wanted. They always seemed to play GS tough. I don't expect anything different this year. I would never bet on any sport but since GS is FBS there will be a line on that game that will favor GS by way too much and it will likely be easy money if you bet on Citadel.

I almost bought the injury excuse until GSU beat Florida. Hard, I think, to argue the Eagles were too banged up to beat Furman but not Florida.

I absolutely appreciate what that does to a season. I have never seen a football team go through a season like Furman just went through, though. We had running backs playing safety for pete's sake.

blueballs
February 15th, 2015, 07:50 PM
You're assuming UF was better than Furman in 2013.... I wouldn't agree with that. UF's QB position was such a trainwreck that it pretty much rendered them punchless, and they got skewered by injuries too.

Nevertheless, GS got healthier as the season wore on, Ellison got more experience, and they played pretty good the last 3 games of 2013. They took some good momentum and confidence into 2014.