PDA

View Full Version : Offense, Offense, Offense.

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Is there a more consistent offense in the country other than Coastal Carolina?

In the past 7 games CCU has put up 51,50,53,42,55,66 and 50 points. (many games not having starters in the majority of the 4th quarter besides liberty, which is a rivalry game and if anyone knows anything about FCS football is easily one of the toughest places to play in the country.)

CCU has 5 vetrean OL, a 6"2 235 power back, and LOTS of depth at the receiver position. Including Matt Hazel who is arguably one of the best receivers in the FCS.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 08:34 PM
ConwayTownChant?

fmrbearkat
November 3rd, 2013, 08:42 PM
Y'all's strength is impressive.....xcoffeex

IBleedYellow
November 3rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Not bad, not bad at all.

The question is: Can you play defense?

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
Not bad, not bad at all.

Exactly! Seems like we always bump our heads in the first half on Defense, but play lights out in the second. We got to pull it together before playoffs get here. The deeper we go, the more complete teams we will play. We won't be able to afford not to play an entire game on both sides of the ball.

jmrepak
November 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Not bad, not bad at all.

Our 1st half defense normally isn't great but isn't awful giving up 16.5 ppg in the first half. However, our 2nd half D has given up less that 10 ppg, and if you remove 20 of the points that I know about our 2nd and 3rd string playing (2nd half of Hampton and last few VMI drives) that number drops to less than 7 ppg in the second half given up by the starters.

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
ConwayTownChant?

I know, right?

CoastalFan2005
November 3rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Not bad, not bad at all.

Our defense has been lights-out in the second half. Our first string has given up a grand total of 55 points in the second half of games this season - that's about 6 points per game. We've got a pretty good "bend but don't break" style of defense going on right now.

CCU_Fan, not sure if you're aware of CoastalFans.com (http://www.coastalfans.com/forum), but feel free to join us over there if you have time.

fmrbearkat
November 3rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Sorry...I mistyped! Let me fix that.

Y'all's strength of schedule is impressive.....xcoffeex

Ud1Hens
November 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM
Including Matt Hazel who is arguably one of the best receivers in the FCS.

Pump the brakes my friend. Hazel has had a nice year but I don't think anyone outside of Conway, SC is arguing he's one of the top WRs in the FCS. Especially with 60 yards a game average.

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Pump the brakes my friend. Hazel has had a nice year but I don't think anyone outside of Conway, SC is arguing he's one of the top WRs in the FCS. Especially with 60 yards a game average.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx We Will see. He got off to a rough start. Missed a game as well. Depth on the offensive side of the ball including at the receiver position has hurt his numbers as well. xsmiley_wix

FordhamFan
November 3rd, 2013, 10:17 PM

I feel that. SoS makes me look the other way whenever it comes to Coastal. We'll see come playoffs whether the Fordham's and the CCU's are for real.

Samalum'10
November 3rd, 2013, 10:27 PM

A lot of posters on this site said the same thing about SHSU two years ago.

fmrbearkat
November 3rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
I feel that. SoS makes me look the other way whenever it comes to Coastal. We'll see come playoffs whether the Fordham's and the CCU's are for real.
That's what I love I love about this league....they will make this dance and get a shot at shutting us up!

jmrepak
November 3rd, 2013, 10:38 PM

Something I posted on another thread...
[QUOTE]That was a fair response a few weeks ago, but after this week and next it shouldn't be. At points of this season EKU, GWU and CSU have all been ranked teams. How they crumbled can't be helped. However, if we destroy CSU this week the way I expect and EKU gets some love for their whooping on #17 Tenn St, then two of our opponents our top 25. Additionally, while SCSU lost their shot at the playoffs when they went down to B-C they are still a decent top 35 team. I'm not advocating the rankings of those teams, but the SOS argument against us is getting weaker [\QUOTE]

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
I firmly believe that CCU has the most well rounded offense in the FCS.

jmrepak
November 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM
I can't go that far. I love our offense and their well rounded capabilities. However, EIU, EWU, SHSU, and a few others are just as powerful and diverse as ours so it's hard to say we're the best. I'll say we are definitely top 10 and more likely top 5. I'm just not sure we're head and shoulders above everyone else

Ud1Hens
November 3rd, 2013, 10:53 PM

We know. You told us in each of your first 11 posts. You can have your opinion and that's all well and good. But people are going to question the level of competition. So you say great offense and others will say "against whom". You can tell everyone that their offensive production wouldn't be like CCU's against their schedule but it has zero grounds for relevance. And it's not just you. I'm a Delaware fan wondering what the heck we have to do to get into the top 15. I say "hey, we are 7-2, all D1 wins, 1 FCS loss on the road vs Maine who is top 8, an FBS loss at Navy, a win vs James Madison and a win on the road vs a top 7 Towson team." Others say, we got humiliated at Maine/Navy, struggled with Albany so just continue to prove yourself next week. It's not a personal slight that people don't see your team through the same rose-colored glasses...people will be skeptical until you beat someone good. Then they'll take notice.

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 10:53 PM
I can't go that far. I love our offense and their well rounded capabilities. However, EIU, EWU, SHSU, and a few others are just as powerful and diverse as ours so it's hard to say we're the best. I'll say we are definitely top 10 and more likely top 5. I'm just not sure we're head and shoulders above everyone else

Maybe I got a little carried away... xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_ wix

CCU_Fan
November 3rd, 2013, 10:58 PM
We know. You told us in each of your first 11 posts. You can have your opinion and that's all well and good. But people are going to question the level of competition. So you say great offense and others will say "against whom". You can tell everyone that their offensive production wouldn't be like CCU's against their schedule but it has zero grounds for relevance. And it's not just you. I'm a Delaware fan wondering what the heck we have to do to get into the top 15. I say "hey, we are 7-2, all D1 wins, 1 FCS loss on the road vs Maine who is top 8, an FBS loss at Navy, a win vs James Madison and a win on the road vs a top 7 Towson team." Others say, we got humiliated at Maine/Navy, struggled with Albany so just continue to prove yourself next week. It's not a personal slight that people don't see your team through the same rose-colored glasses...people will be skeptical until you beat someone good. Then they'll take notice.

23rd at South Carolina xsmiley_wix Maybe we'll get a shot at UD in the Playoffs.

Ud1Hens
November 3rd, 2013, 11:03 PM
23rd at South Carolina xsmiley_wix Maybe we'll get a shot at UD in the Playoffs.

I'd love that. Because that would mean:
A) We qualified for the playoffs
B) We won a 1st round game
C) We aren't getting shipped to North Dakota St or Eastern Washington
D) A great excuse to take an early winter trip to Myrtle Beach

FordhamFan
November 3rd, 2013, 11:08 PM
I'm gonna be completely honest I think Coastal is overrated as hell. But like Ud1Hens said, I don't see the same team as you CCU fellas. Be interested to see how they do against Chuck South (another overrated Big South team) and So. Carolina. Time will tell though.

rokamortis
November 4th, 2013, 05:58 AM
I'm sure if we had some good losses we'd have more respect xeyebrowx

I'm not as over the top enthusiastic as some on here for Coastal, but I think we have a solid team and will look forward to Coastal hopefully making the playoffs and gaining some more respect.

Fordham
November 4th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Those are some incredible numbers.

jmrepak
November 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I'm gonna be completely honest I think Coastal is overrated as hell. But like Ud1Hens said, I don't see the same team as you CCU fellas. Be interested to see how they do against Chuck South (another overrated Big South team) and So. Carolina. Time will tell though.
I hope you're including Fordham in your overrated list if you are including CCU. Fordham has a win by one point over a 1-8 FBS Temple that Sagarin puts us in front of, and your other two good/great wins were Lehigh and Nova and they are both getting beat up in conference play and will likely drop out of the top 25 today. Meaning, just like us, you have no opponents that you've defeated in the top 25. I also expect that EKU will get close if not crack the rankings today which would actually make our schedule include a current ranked opponent that was defeated. I'm not trying to ding on Fordham, but if I follow your logic they must be overrated as well

kalm
November 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I hope you're including Fordham in your overrated list if you are including CCU. Fordham has a win by one point over a 1-8 FBS Temple that Sagarin puts us in front of, and your other two good/great wins were Lehigh and Nova and they are both getting beat up in conference play and will likely drop out of the top 25 today. Meaning, just like us, you have no opponents that you've defeated in the top 25. I also expect that EKU will get close if not crack the rankings today which would actually make our schedule include a current ranked opponent that was defeated. I'm not trying to ding on Fordham, but if I follow your logic they must be overrated as well

Both over-rated a bit. EKU will be a nice win but not a marquee win by national standards. If either team had played the OOC schedule that EIU has with the same results your rankings would be justified. Same can be said for CCU's offensive numbers.

FordhamFan
November 4th, 2013, 08:23 AM

Absolutely. I basically feel Fordham and CCU are in the exact same boat.

Obviously, I'm biased, but I think there's some logic behind thinking Fordham should be ahead of CCU in polls. Because honestly, FU's OOC is just better than CCU's and it's not really an argument. I eliminate conference discussion because the Patriot League and the Big South both kinda suck.

Nova was 8 in the country when Fordham beat them, Yale was receiving votes, an FBS win (albeit one of the lowest hanging fruits in FBS). I don't count Lehigh because obvously their in conference, but they were 10th when Fordham beat them. Still, all of that is much better than two MEAC's and a solid OVC team. If CCU plays with South Carolina, we have another discussion, but I'm only going on the present.

Things seem to breaking the wrong way for Fordham's strength of schedule because of injuries for Lehigh and the CAA's general toughness, but most all of Fordham's non-conference wins are better than any win CCU has. Only Rhode Island really sucks on Fordham's schedule. You argue EKU being a real rising team and yes they are playing well, but if we look right at the Sagarin ratings you reference in putting down Temple, EKU is behind two teams Fordham beat (Nova and Temple). And even Yale, probably Fordham's fourth best win, is currently ranked ahead of Chuck South (barely, but still), which would be Coastal's best or second best win if they were to come away victorious this season.

In the macrocosm, Fordham and CCU are very similar. Two undefeated teams from ****ty conferences that need to prove something in the playoffs before the big boys take us for real. But in the micro, I don't see how anybody can think CCU's resume is better than Fordham's. I firmly believe preseason rankings are the only reason CCU is ahead of Fordham in the polls, and the AGS poll seems to agree with me.

MarkCCU
November 4th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I'm sure if we had some good losses we'd have more respect xeyebrowx

I'm not as over the top enthusiastic as some on here for Coastal, but I think we have a solid team and will look forward to Coastal hopefully making the playoffs and gaining some more respect.

This. Coastal has benefited form recruiting, coaching, as well as the perennial powerhouse SoCon being terrible this season. Couple that with growing prestige and oh have yourself the making of a quality team that can be on the playoffs. Coastal will show prove itself on the 23rd when we play Carolina. That game, a certain lost, will be instrumental is changing the minds of nay Sayers.

That's just my humble opinion. I've been a CCU fan since 2000 when we didn't football, I love the team and am a homer, but some fans are just ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone

coastalalum
November 4th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Nova was 8 in the country when Fordham beat them, Yale was receiving votes, an FBS win (albeit one of the lowest hanging fruits in FBS). I don't count Lehigh because obvously their in conference, but they were 10th when Fordham beat them. Still, all of that is much better than two MEAC's and a solid OVC team. If CCU plays with South Carolina, we have another discussion, but I'm only going on the present.

strange

rokamortis
November 4th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Absolutely. I basically feel Fordham and CCU are in the exact same boat.

Obviously, I'm biased, but I think there's some logic behind thinking Fordham should be ahead of CCU in polls. Because honestly, FU's OOC is just better than CCU's and it's not really an argument. I eliminate conference discussion because the Patriot League and the Big South both kinda suck.

Things seem to breaking the wrong way for Fordham's strength of schedule because of injuries for Lehigh and the CAA's general toughness, but most all of Fordham's non-conference wins are better than any win CCU has. Only Rhode Island really sucks on Fordham's schedule. You argue EKU being a real rising team and yes they are playing well, but if we look right at the Sagarin ratings you reference in putting down Temple, EKU is behind two teams Fordham beat (Nova and Temple). And even Yale, probably Fordham's fourth best win, is currently ranked ahead of Chuck South (barely, but still), which would be Coastal's best or second best win if they were to come away victorious this season.

In the macrocosm, Fordham and CCU are very similar. Two undefeated teams from ****ty conferences that need to prove something in the playoffs before the big boys take us for real. But in the micro, I don't see how anybody can think CCU's resume is better than Fordham's. I firmly believe preseason rankings are the only reason CCU is ahead of Fordham in the polls, and the AGS poll seems to agree with me.

You probably should have stopped at the first sentence, which I agree with. I think trying to argue how your wins are better is futile. Sagarin has our SOS rated slightly better than yours. The difference is we barely beat Liberty who rarely loses at home and you barely beat Holy Cross on your own turf ;)

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM
NDSUs defense would shut that circus down in a New York minute.

I hope you get a chance to play them, I really do.

FordhamFan
November 4th, 2013, 10:22 AM
strange

Poor choice of words, should have said "by what we know" rather than "present." Point still stands.

knucklehead
November 4th, 2013, 10:43 AM
CCU-FAN Don't forget that for the LU/CCU game to go to 2 OT - LU had to score 52 on your defense. I just wish we had gotten 1 more stop on D or not let that FG get blocked and we aren't having this discussion. But alas, Coastal won.

Fordham
November 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
The similarities between Coastal and Fordham's seasons are really remarkable. Both with Fordham grads as second year coaches, both undefeated, both doing it with remarkably explosive offenses and defenses that bend enough to make every big conference school hope they get each of us in the playoffs yet that don't break enough yet to produce a loss.

Special seasons in both places and very cool that there's such a strong Fordham connection down there imo.

IBleedYellow
November 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
NDSUs defense would shut that circus down in a New York minute.

I hope you get a chance to play them, I really do.

No they wouldn't. NDSU isn't that good, it's only the Fargodome that makes NDSU good. ;)

CID1990
November 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM
The only team in the southeast that matches up with NDSU is Samford.

I really hope we get to see that matchup in the playoffs.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 4th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Agreed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk