PDA

View Full Version : The Bizarro World - Southern Conference style

World
November 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Something funny is going on when you have Appalachian State and Georgia Southern at 2-4 in the Southern Conference, yet Chattanooga and Samford at 5-1 and 4-1, respectfully:

http://www.ncaa.com/standings/football/fcs

chattownmocs
November 3rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Something funny is going on when you have Appalachian State and Georgia Southern at 2-4 in the Southern Conference, yet Chattanooga and Samford at 5-1 and 4-1, respectfully:

http://www.ncaa.com/standings/football/fcs

Like what? App State, Wofford, and GSU were 6-2 last year. Samford, Chattanooga, and the Citadel were 5-3. The Socon has been deep for awhile now.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 3rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Like what? App State, Wofford, and GSU were 6-2 last year. Samford, Chattanooga, and the Citadel were 5-3. The Socon has been deep for awhile now.

http://www.imrcorp.com/Portals/11795/images/you_keep_using_that_word.jpg

Bisonwinagn
November 3rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Question? Did App State and Georgia Southern quit this year knowing they had nothing to play for or are there other reasons? Injuries, loss of talent, etc.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 12:58 PM
Question? Did App State and Georgia Southern quit this year knowing they had nothing to play for or are there other reasons? Injuries, loss of talent, etc.

Depends on who you ask.

(sorry I can't give a better answer)

cmaxwellgsu
November 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM

We're pretty depleted by injuries, and our coaches have been doing some crazy things offensively. I haven't seen any quit from the team. I'm sure App fans will be more detailed, but it seems they're having some growing pains dealing with a new staff.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM

Sometimes you just get snake-bit. EWU had a team in 2011 that should've been very good but their team got ransacked with injuries and they struggled mightily.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2013, 02:05 PM
I don't think any team would intentionally quit...but I think any team can get beat down enough mentally (especially when there have been a bunch of injuries) when things are going well and when you don't have a true goal.

And I think you can get to the point where you just start playing for next year (getting young players experience, working on different looks)

But, in defense of Chattanooga...they were picked in the pre-season to be right there as a SoCon championship contender and, so far, they have done just that.

walliver
November 3rd, 2013, 02:38 PM

Old Dominion has "nothing to play for" this year, but has won all the games they were supposed to (and lost all their BCS level games).
App State has off-seaon drama with the firing of Jerry Moore, issues with recruiting the last few years, and a coaching transition that has been quite rough.
GSU is just having one of those years.

Getting back to the "Bizarro World", there are a lot of SoCon teams playing RS and true freshmen. A number of SoCon teams will be much stronger next year. It will take a few OOC wins and playoff wins to put teams back in the Top 10 again, but it won't be long.

Sammy and Chatty's performances have not been particularly surprising to SoCon fans.
GSU has been surprising, and ASU has been shocking.