PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel defeats Samford

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
Congrats, bellhops. JHS in Chucktown isn't an easy place to play.

At least we beat El Cid.

citdog
November 2nd, 2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

SU_IT_able
November 2nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
Congrats to The Citadel. You've been close all season...this time you came out on top. No quit in the Citdogs.

CID1990
November 2nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
We FINALLY got that extra 7 points we've been needing!

GO DOGS

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
SOCON looking more and more like a 1 bid league.

LehighU11
November 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
The SoCon is beginning to look more and more like the Patriot League: a bunch of mediocre teams that can beat any of the others on any given weekend.

citdog
November 2nd, 2013, 04:37 PM
The SoCon is beginning to look more and more like the Patriot League: a bunch of mediocre teams that can beat any of the others on any given weekend.

The difference being that most of the teams in the Southern Conference would go through the patsy league like Lee went through pope at Second Manassas.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
The socon will get 2 or 3 in this year.....There are so many conferences with teams that have 3+ losses that I just don't see them getting woofed.

Furman, the citadel, and app state are one possession away in about 3 or 4 games from having a winning record. It's going to be a race to the finish. If Samford, Wofford, or Chattanooga wins out they'll clinch the conference crown, and if Furman wins out they'll likely clinch a playoff spot, but seeing as all of them play 2 or 3 games that are very much lose-able, all bets are off.

cmaxwellgsu
November 2nd, 2013, 04:42 PM

Except Western Carolina would be considered mediocre in the Patsy League....

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2013, 04:42 PM
There's always been 2 echilons of teams in the conference of which one of the higher ones will lose to the lower ones at least once a season. The only difference is that the record of the middle pack is not up to par as usual, but again most of those teams in the middle of the pack are only a few points away from being something like 6-2

LehighU11
November 2nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Except Western Carolina would be considered mediocre in the Patsy League....

If by mediocre, you mean as competitive as the Sun Belt is in FBS, then yes.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2013, 04:52 PM

Not only is that smack unoriginal, but it's also unimpressive

RichH2
November 2nd, 2013, 04:54 PM
Congrats to Kevin's team. Good win over a good team

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Most of the seeded teams would have their hands full with Samford if Summerlin and Truss are both healthy. Wofford too if they can find some consistency. As I have said before, the SoCon usually doesn't impress OOC in the regular season but usually puts on a good showing in the playoffs.

MarkCCU
November 2nd, 2013, 05:08 PM
I was on attendance, the Citadel started slow but damn they brought it. The blocked 2 point conversion saved their hides.

Sent from my iPhone

JMUNJ08
November 2nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
If Chatty goes down today too @ App (28 all right now), SoCon goes to a 2-bid league MAX

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2013, 05:17 PM
If Chatty goes down today too @ App (28 all right now), SoCon goes to a 2-bid league MAX

I think either way that's going to happen. I do, however, think our dream of Chatty's playoff appearance will come true.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2013, 05:19 PM
I think either way that's going to happen. I do, however, think our dream of Chatty's playoff appearance will come true.

I want Chatty to get in and win NDSU's play-in game just read AGS for the ensuing week. That would be even more epic than the GSU-NDSU threads.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Just got back home. Can't talk. What a performance for the homecoming crowd. A fake punt, Summerlin under sufficient pressure, a timely pick, and Truss knocked early, and some better play calling by the Citadel, some hard running by the Cid O and an interesting play call by Samford on their failed 2 point conversion all combined to give the cadets the win. It was also the most fired up I have seen the crowd yet this year, including the App St game. The SOCON race just got more interesting. And for the all the SOCON haters, the conference is much better than you think. Don't confuse parity with mediocrity. I think everyone started slow due to the anticipation of a Conference race that was jacked up due to the departure of App St and Ga So.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
I want Chatty to get in and win NDSU's play-in game just read AGS for the ensuing week. That would be even more epic than the GSU-NDSU threads.

Nah, those had way more GSU posters in them. One bat**** crazy dude on his break from Subway won't be able to keep up.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
I think Chattanooga has pretty much clinched their playoff spot today. If Wofford wins 2 of their next 3 and doesn't lose to App State they'll be in. Samford should have it clinched if they win 2 of 3 as well

kdinva
November 2nd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Just got back home. Can't talk. What a performance for the homecoming crowd. A fake punt, Summerlin under sufficient pressure, a timely pick, and Truss knocked early, and some better play calling by the Citadel, some hard running by the Cid O and an interesting play call by Samford on their failed 2 point conversion all combined to give the cadets the win. It was also the most fired up I have seen the crowd yet this year, including the App St game. The SOCON race just got more interesting. And for the all the SOCON haters, the conference is much better than you think. Don't confuse parity with mediocrity. I think everyone started slow due to the anticipation of a Conference race that was jacked up due to the departure of App St and Ga So.

Fine win, 'Dawgs...........

ElCid
November 2nd, 2013, 08:07 PM
I am not one to criticize the officials normally, even SOCON ones, but I'm watching the replay on ESPN3 and the one thing I see is exactly what I thought I saw at the game. And that is really poor spots. The Citadel got screwed on one play by at least 1.5 yards. It was a third down so it could have impacted the game. We got the 4th but that was inexcusable. The announcers where even commenting on it. On another, we got screwed by at least a full yard. I think I saw at least 5 plays where it was obvious. We won, I know, why am I complaining. Need to point it out. Even Samford got screwed on a couple occasions so I guess it kind of evens out but seriously, it was bad. SOCON, listen up, fix this.

cmaxwellgsu
November 4th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Nah, those had way more GSU posters in them. One bat**** crazy dude on his break from Subway won't be able to keep up.

Never estimate the power of whatever it is that he's on.....

cmaxwellgsu
November 4th, 2013, 04:21 PM

Better to be in the Sun Belt than the Sun Belt of the FCS like LeHigh.....

Engineer86
November 4th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Better to be in the Sun Belt than the Sun Belt of the FCS like LeHigh.....

So really who has the SoCon beaten this year outside of conference? Who is that .500 or better D1 team? xcoffeex

citdog
November 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM
So really who has the SoCon beaten this year outside of conference? Who is that .500 or better D1 team? xcoffeex

The answer is, as it is EVERY year in the power conferences, EACH OTHER.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM
The answer is, as it is EVERY year in the power conferences, EACH OTHER.

Oh sorry, just to clarify I meant in 2013. You must be thinking of another year. Who this year has a SoCon team beaten out of conference that has a .500 or better record?

citdog
November 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Oh sorry, just to clarify I meant in 2013. You must be thinking of another year. Who this year has a SoCon team beaten out of conference that has a .500 or better record?

A bunch of teams that would win the patsy league?

Engineer86
November 4th, 2013, 07:04 PM
A bunch of teams that would win the patsy league?

Ok, we are getting there. xsmileyclapx Can you give me a name?

walliver
November 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I am not one to criticize the officials normally, even SOCON ones, but I'm watching the replay on ESPN3 and the one thing I see is exactly what I thought I saw at the game. And that is really poor spots. The Citadel got screwed on one play by at least 1.5 yards. It was a third down so it could have impacted the game. We got the 4th but that was inexcusable. The announcers where even commenting on it. On another, we got screwed by at least a full yard. I think I saw at least 5 plays where it was obvious. We won, I know, why am I complaining. Need to point it out. Even Samford got screwed on a couple occasions so I guess it kind of evens out but seriously, it was bad. SOCON, listen up, fix this.

The spots were horrible the week before when we played Sammy, but overall the bad spots evened out. On one series, the spot on third down was 1 yard to short, leaving us with 4th and 1 yard + inches. We moved the ball inches on fourth down, but the spot gave us the yard back.

I think it's just a case of you get what you pay for.