PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Renewed...Chattanooga signs 4-year deal with Jacksonville State

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2013, 12:58 AM
JSU replaces Ga State on the schedule for 2014.

2014 and 2015 in Chattanooga
2017 and 2019 at Jacksonville State

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/oct/31/mocs-resuming-series-with-jacksonville-state/

Mocs will play 5 home games and 7 away games in 2014 (including two FBS games at Tennessee and at Central Michigan, which will pay a combined $800K)

The Mocs also signed to play Alabama again in 2016 for a $500,000 payday.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2013, 01:02 AM
So in a nut shell, Chattanooga's schedule is comprised of...

two FBS (Tennessee, Central Michigan)
3 OVC (Austin Peay, Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville State)
and 7 SoCon teams (Samford, Wofford, Furman, Mercer, The Citadel, VMI, Western Carolina)

blueballs
October 31st, 2013, 06:45 AM
I hope it isn't true but my first impression us that the administration sold the players out next year...probably gonna need to win the conference to make the playoffs.

SpeedkingATL
October 31st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Make the playoffs with that schedule and the Mocs will have really accomplished something. Certainly should help with fan interest.

UCMoc
October 31st, 2013, 08:32 AM
I hope it isn't true but my first impression us that the administration sold the players out next year...probably gonna need to win the conference to make the playoffs.

How so?

walliver
October 31st, 2013, 08:48 AM

Central Michigan is potentially winnable.

I suspect most of the SoCon will have similar schedules next year, with the Carolina schools scheduling Big South instead of OVC.

Unless schools are willing to push the travel budget to schedule CAA teams or Southland teams, there are really no good options for replacing ASU and GSU while maintaining strength of schedule (of course, this year those two aren't helping much with SOS).:(

cmaxwellgsu
October 31st, 2013, 09:35 AM

I respectfully disagree. I would have loved for us to have played some MAC teams, because we would probably have an FBS win or two. Despite the hiccup in their opener, I think UTC can take two of three from the OVC teams.

rokamortis
October 31st, 2013, 09:35 AM
Central Michigan is potentially winnable.

I suspect most of the SoCon will have similar schedules next year, with the Carolina schools scheduling Big South instead of OVC.

Unless schools are willing to push the travel budget to schedule CAA teams or Southland teams, there are really no good options for replacing ASU and GSU while maintaining strength of schedule (of course, this year those two aren't helping much with SOS).:(

The SoCon doesn't really seem to care about SoS though - you admitted 2 startup programs and a not-strong VMI. If they were looking to strengthen the schedule for everyone they would have added different teams.

walliver
October 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM
The SoCon doesn't really seem to care about SoS though - you admitted 2 startup programs and a not-strong VMI. If they were looking to strengthen the schedule for everyone they would have added different teams.

That's the nicest thing anybody has said about VMI in a long time - political correctness gone amuck.:D

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2013, 10:50 AM

Honestly, if there is any blame to pass around...I guess we should be mad at GSU, ASU and Elon for leaving...all 3 were scheduled home games next year...then you can add in Ga State backing out on their return game to Chattanooga...that left a 4 game (all at home) hole in the schedule.

When they added Central Michigan, Huesman agreed to it only because it was promised that the $350K paycheck would go directly to the new, $15 million, football administration and training building that UTC is going to build.

That is not an easy schedule with 7 road games, but honestly, outside of Tennessee, there isn't a single game on the sked that isn't "winnable."

Austin Peay and Tech are winnable, JSU at home is winnable...heck, Central Michigan is winnable (I would consider a win at CMU with being on par with that of beating a top 25 FCS team...not easy, but doable)...and I don't see why the Mocs don't have a chance as doing as well as they are doing this year in the SoCon (even better with Mercer and VMI replacing GSU and ASU).

I looked at the sked and the first thing I thought was, "the Mocs could win 8 to 10 games next year if they play well." I don't think that is being cocky, I think it is a pretty fair assessment.

I am really excited about JSU being back on the sked...I think that rivalry is more heated than any we have in the SoCon. Mainly becaue JSU fans seem to really dislike Chattanooga.

And I have always hoped the Mocs would some day play a mid-tier FBS school...a game where they have a chance at a win, as opposed to always just take big checks against top 10 teams (Mocs play FSU in 2015)

blueballs
October 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM
Honestly, if there is any blame to pass around...I guess we should be mad at GSU, ASU and Elon for leaving...all 3 were scheduled home games next year...then you can add in Ga State backing out on their return game to Chattanooga...that left a 4 game (all at home) hole in the schedule.

When they added Central Michigan, Huesman agreed to it only because it was promised that the $350K paycheck would go directly to the new, $15 million, football administration and training building that UTC is going to build.

That is not an easy schedule with 7 road games, but honestly, outside of Tennessee, there isn't a single game on the sked that isn't "winnable."

Austin Peay and Tech are winnable, JSU at home is winnable...heck, Central Michigan is winnable (I would consider a win at CMU with being on par with that of beating a top 25 FCS team...not easy, but doable)...and I don't see why the Mocs don't have a chance as doing as well as they are doing this year in the SoCon (even better with Mercer and VMI replacing GSU and ASU).

I looked at the sked and the first thing I thought was, "the Mocs could win 8 to 10 games next year if they play well." I don't think that is being cocky, I think it is a pretty fair assessment.

I am really excited about JSU being back on the sked...I think that rivalry is more heated than any we have in the SoCon. Mainly becaue JSU fans seem to really dislike Chattanooga.

And I have always hoped the Mocs would some day play a mid-tier FBS school...a game where they have a chance at a win, as opposed to always just take big checks against top 10 teams (Mocs play FSU in 2015)

Great explanation... it certainly puts things in a different light than first blush.

SpeedkingATL
October 31st, 2013, 01:49 PM

Pretty good assessment. Next years Mocs should be at least as good as this years edition IMO.

walliver
November 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Does the contract have an "FBS easy out clause" in case JSU moves (not that anyone seems to want them right now, but they have been open in the past about considering a move)? Of course, with the last two games in Alabama, Chatty might benefit if the last two were cancelled.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I thought the Pards were going to line up a 2 gamer with JAX?

Cocky
November 4th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I thought the Pards were going to line up a 2 gamer with JAX?
I would like that.