PDA

View Full Version : How good is __________?

CommishBigSmooth
October 30th, 2013, 02:58 PM
We've seen enough games now in the FCS season to make determinations on a lot of teams. But there are several out there that are still (I think) a mystery to a great many of us, certainly to me having not seen them in person or on TV as of yet.

As I look at the polls and the power rankings, they tell one side of the story, but of course without the "eye" test on some of these teams, it's tough to say.

So in looking at FCS squads, be they contender, pretender or neither, what team do you wonder the most about.....thus, "How good is ____?"

Mine to start is a bit obvious perhaps from the rankings, but I wonder, for example,

"How good is Coastal Carolina?"

-Scores a ton but has given up a decent number of points
-Undefeated but quality of competition in conference/perceived lack of quality wins are a question
-Have played several different conference opponents (MEAC, SoCon, etc.)- how do they match up with top teams in "power" conferences.

Interested in what you all think on this, as we are (well, most of us anyway) more educated on the FCS compared to the average bear....which team or teams do you wonder the most about how really good they are this season, given results YTD? Take it whatever direction from there....

blueballs
October 30th, 2013, 03:40 PM
How good is Chattanooga?

They sit 6-2/4-1 and control their own destiny in the conference. However, they have not defeated a team with a winning record and have flunked their two biggest tests thus far.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 30th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Eastern Washington

The only remotely good team they played was SHSU and they clipped their wings and made their defense look like Jodie Foster on a pinball machine.

They havent played anyone...........yet.

Pretty sure MSU will punch them in the meth teeth all the way back to their soon to be foreclosed single wide.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I totally want this to become a smack thread.

IBleedYellow
October 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Eastern Washington

The only remotely good team they played was SHSU and they clipped their wings and made their defense look like Jodie Foster on a pinball machine.

Pretty sure MSU will punch them in the meth teeth all the way back to their soon to be foreclosed single wide.

Didn't they play the Griz?

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I totally want this to become a smack thread.
So I cant have an opinion?

It wasnt smack its the truth from somebody that has actually watched them play a few times this year unlike all you "Poll guy" that take The Sporting News word for it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Didn't they play the Griz?

Yes and have you heard me running around here acting like we are good? Not this Griz fan I am a realist.

chattanoogamocs
October 30th, 2013, 03:54 PM
How good is Chattanooga?

They sit 6-2/4-1 and control their own destiny in the conference. However, they have not defeated a team with a winning record and have flunked their two biggest tests thus far.

I do not disagree with your statement at all...and have said the same thing myself. Fortunately, they have a chance to prove it on the field with upcoming games with Wofford and @Samford. Of course, they also have to get by App in Boone...no easy task, just ask GSU last Saturday. ;)

You could also take out Chattanooga and ask "How good is Wofford?"...they are 5-3, 4-1 and their only over .500 win is against 4-3 GSU.

And finally...

How good is Charleston Southern?

Beats 0-8 Non DI Shorter 23-15...other wins include another Non DI and a 1-7 non-scholarship team.

5 other wins and none of those are over .500

I have also gone on record to say that Chattanooga, Wofford nor Charleston Southern should currently be in the top 25.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2013, 03:57 PM
So I cant have an opinion?

It wasnt smack its the truth from somebody that has actually watched them play a few times this year unlike all you "Poll guy" that take The Sporting News word for it.

Oh, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I approve completely with your post.

dewey
October 30th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Eastern Washington

I am certainly not an EWU fan but they did beat Oregon State (6-2, I would say a good team), challenged Toledo (5-3, not sure what to think of Toledo), got run over by SHSU (A FCS playoff team) and beat the Griz (I would say a FCS playoff team) in Missoula. Granted they have MSU at home and Cal Poly on the road but if they win out and finish 10-2 I think they would have earned a top 3 seed. Of course if they lose to MSU or/and Cal Poly they go from being seeded to potentially not being seeded.

Dewey

msupokes1
October 30th, 2013, 04:06 PM
How good is Montana State? Their best win is Northern Arizona and they loss to SFA (a team that lost to Weber St.).

dewey
October 30th, 2013, 04:10 PM
University of Montana Grizzlies.

They got beat by EWU but after being down big they turned things around and made a big run in the 4th quarter to get withing striking distance at the end. They haven't beaten anyone with a winning record (PSU is .500) and Cal Poly is 3-5. However they have big games at USD (I never thought I would say that) and at MSU. I think they could certainly finish 10-2 or 9-3 and be in line for a high seed.

In my mind there is a lot of uncertainty with EWU, MT and MSU. All have looked good at times and all have looked questionable at times.

What say you AGS?

Dewey

BisonFan02
October 30th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Eastern Washington

Think you mean Repo instead of foreclose. They would need to graduate to a double wide and a foundation before they could get a mortgage. :D

dewey
October 30th, 2013, 04:11 PM
How good is Montana State? Their best win is Northern Arizona and they loss to SFA (a team that lost to Weber St.).

I was wondering the samething.

Dewey

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 30th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Think you mean Repo instead of foreclose. They would need to graduate to a double wide and a foundation before they could get a mortgage. :D

xdohx

My bad, you are 100% correct...............I am embarrassed by that oversight.

BisonFan02
October 30th, 2013, 04:16 PM
xdohx

My bad, you are 100% correct...............I am embarrassed by that oversight.

It happens. That's what I'm here for! :)

Twentysix
October 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
UNI.

On the road they play the unanimous #1 closer than a BCS team could. They beat Iowa State. They curbstomped McNeese. And have now lost a bunch of OT games. How good is UNI, actually.

Grizalltheway
October 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM
University of Montana Grizzlies.

They got beat by EWU but after being down big they turned things around and made a big run in the 4th quarter to get withing striking distance at the end. They haven't beaten anyone with a winning record (PSU is .500) and Cal Poly is 3-5. However they have big games at USD (I never thought I would say that) and at MSU. I think they could certainly finish 10-2 or 9-3 and be in line for a high seed.

In my mind there is a lot of uncertainty with EWU, MT and MSU. All have looked good at times and all have looked questionable at times.

What say you AGS?

Dewey

Tough to say at this point. We certainly have a lot of talent on offense and with our front 7 on D, but our secondary and playcalling/offensive scheming still appear to be glaring weaknesses. I think if they can bring everything together for 4 quarters they can challange anyone in the country, but we haven't really been able to do that against quality teams so far.

TennBison
October 30th, 2013, 04:39 PM
UNI.

On the road they play the unanimous #1 closer than a BCS team could. They beat Iowa State. They curbstomped McNeese. And have now lost a bunch of OT games. How good is UNI, actually.
They are just as good as their record. They are a.500 team right now and that is it. They were at one point a top 5 team, but things change.

Twentysix
October 30th, 2013, 04:41 PM
How good is SELA aka SLU.

I think they are wildly underrated, but who knows.

lionsrking2
October 30th, 2013, 04:49 PM
How good is SELA aka SLU.

Thanks for using for the proper initials. xthumbsupx

bjtheflamesfan
October 30th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Gardner-Webb

After starting the year 4-1, including a win over RIchmond, the Runnin Bulldogs have not done much of that, getting blown out by Coastal Carolina and Liberty and blowing a second half lead to D-I football startup UNC-Charlotte and are now .500 with Charleston Southern on the horizon.

clenz
October 30th, 2013, 05:49 PM
UNI.

Injuries are a ****ing bitch....UNI from the first 4.75 games of the season is completely different than UNI right now. When healthy the UNI team that dominated Iowa State, McNeese State, UNC, and the first three quarters of NDSU are who we are....however, when you see the following list that was sent to me you'll see why we are where we are

I had a list sent to me of players that were missing signification game and/or practice time. This is just stupid

The following players are missing significant game and/or practice time

*Brion Carnes OW - isn't practicing suffered pretty strong concussion probably shouldn't be playing*Charles Brown DB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *David Johnson RB - suffered hip flexor against NDSU in 3rd quarter...been about 50-60% since then*Xavier Williams DT - foot/ankle issues keeping him ineffective/out of consistant PT*Ray Mitchell DB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Phil Wright WR - out for season with foot injury*Tim Kilfoy DB/LB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Jamison Whiting DB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Jordan Gacke LB - whole body? Does that describe it?Max Busher LB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Sam Tim LB/DL - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Mac O'Brien DT - out since start of season*Jake Farley LB - broken leg out for season*Ben Wallace OL - don't know what injury is but is out for season*Sam Rohr TE - dislocated elbow missed 3 weeks, first game back tears ACL done for season*Brett LeMaster WR - tears ACL in fall camp*Colin Albrecht DL - leads team in sacks,don't know what injury is but is missing timeEvan Williams RB - missed 4-5 games with some sort of injury
*Sawyer Kollmorgen QB - not practicing due to concussion suffered during NDSU game

I put a * by only those who play a lot/start......

I've never seen a team this banged up

That and I believe we are the first FCS (possibly college football team) to lose 3 straight games in OT with 2 in double OT. UNI, with all of their injuries, is still just a matter of 5 plays, or so, from being 7-1/8-0. ****...depressing

FordhamFan
October 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
How good is Fordham?

I love them and think they're really good. But I'm biased. Everyone else here seems to just agree that they're a top 5 team but I'm not so sure? Like, I genuinely have no idea what would happen if Fordham played a good MVFC team that isn't NDSU. I think they're really good, but like, how can I be so sure? We are in the Patriot League...we beat Nova at home but that was week 2 so it was a different Nova team, Temple is 1A but kinda blow and well, we all know how everyone here feels about Lehigh...

dbackjon
October 30th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks for using for the proper initials. xthumbsupx

I prefer to call you Louisiana ;)

Southern Bison
October 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM
How good is Youngstown State (7-1)?

They step into the meat-grinder this weekend with @USD, @ UNI, NDSU, & SDSU.
In the MVFC, they have beaten SIU (28-27), ISU-b (35-24), ISU-r (59-21), & WIU (24-14), a combined 12-21 record to date.
They beat Dayton, Morehead State, & Duquesne (2 Pioneer & 1 NEC) in OOC and lost to Michigan State 55-17.

The next two weeks will be telling whether the Nov. 16th game vs. NDSU is for the MVFC Championship or to just keep their playoff hopes alive.

Vitojr130
October 30th, 2013, 07:33 PM
UNI.

I don't even think they know how good they are or aren't....

clenz
October 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I don't even think they know how good they are or aren't....
Depends on what UNI team you want to talk about.

From the first 4.75 games? #1 or #2 in the country.

From the last 3.25? Beaten up and down to starting to have to pull redshirts to get people on the field.

TigerFen
October 30th, 2013, 07:53 PM
How good is UDEL this year?

They're 6-2, but have losses to Maine and Navy. They're middle of the pack in Rushing, but top 25 in scoring. Middle of the pack on Defense from the stats on NCAA.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM

From the last 3.25? Beaten up and down to starting to have to pull redshirts to get people on the field.

Keep thinking you let that NDSU game get away. That's what they all said.

ngineer
October 30th, 2013, 08:13 PM
UNI.

Not the same team since the injury bug hit. They were a national contender early in the season. It's "only" 11 or 12 games, but unlike baseball, football has significant attrition. Feel bad for the Panthers. Season had a lot of promise.

kalm
October 30th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I am certainly not an EWU fan but they did beat Oregon State (6-2, I would say a good team), challenged Toledo (5-3, not sure what to think of Toledo), got run over by SHSU (A FCS playoff team) and beat the Griz (I would say a FCS playoff team) in Missoula. Granted they have MSU at home and Cal Poly on the road but if they win out and finish 10-2 I think they would have earned a top 3 seed. Of course if they lose to MSU or/and Cal Poly they go from being seeded to potentially not being seeded.

Dewey

Our defense definitely got "run over" in the SHSU game, but it wasn't exactly a blow out.

Other than that, Alpha's spot on as usual about EWOOO.

I still think the Big Sky is a bit of mystery. I see Montana, MSU, EWU, and NAU all capable of running the table.

cardiaccowboy
October 30th, 2013, 09:36 PM
McNeese St.
Beat a horrible south Florida team
Beat a not so good Arkansas Pine Bluff
Won on a last second td against D2 school fast but still D2
Beat a down Weber st team
Was mauled by UNI
Beat a injury depleted Central Arkansas team
Pulled out a W for homecoming against #2 SHSU who's all everything rb was one wheel
Held on against Nicholls st.
I hope the pokes can keep it close against the underrated Southeastern Lions team that beat us last season

IBleedYellow
October 30th, 2013, 09:37 PM
McNeese St.
Beat a horrible south Florida team
Beat a not so good Arkansas Pine Bluff
Won on a last second td against D2 school fast but still D2
Beat a down Weber st team
Was mauled by UNI
Beat a injury depleted Central Arkansas team
Pulled out a W for homecoming against #2 SHSU who's all everything rb was one wheel
Held on against Nicholls st.
I hope the pokes can keep it close against the underrated Southeastern Lions team that beat us last season

Remember, just "hanging on" is still a W.

BEAR
October 30th, 2013, 09:56 PM

are you talking about UCA? Sure sounds like it! xlolx

dewey
October 31st, 2013, 12:23 AM
I still think the Big Sky is a bit of mystery. I see Montana, MSU, EWU, and NAU all capable of running the table.

Good point on NAU. I always think of MT, MSU and EWU but I always seem to forget NAU. It will be interesting to see how the entire Big Sky shakes out and how many teams they get into the playoffs. You gotta think 3-4 teams, right?

Dewey

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2013, 02:03 AM
UNI.

Good enough to beat some playoff teams. Not good enough to get a chance to prove it.

MR. CHICKEN
October 31st, 2013, 07:42 AM

They're 6-2, but have losses to Maine and Navy. They're middle of the pack in Rushing, but top 25 in scoring. Middle of the pack on Defense from the stats on NCAA.

18467.....HENS...FEATHERAHS..WERE RUFFLED BAH...NAVY/MAINE........TOWSON/'NOVA WILL PLUCK US TOO.......BILL & MARE..& DUH ARACHNIDS.....COOD ROUND US UP....TA...8-4....MAH CRYSTAL BALL (AKA..UH CONCRETE BLOCK)....JES' SAYS MAYBE....xdontknowx....BRAWK!

Bisonator
October 31st, 2013, 08:04 AM
Injuries are a ****ing bitch....UNI from the first 4.75 games of the season is completely different than UNI right now. When healthy the UNI team that dominated Iowa State, McNeese State, UNC, and the first three quarters of NDSU are who we are....however, when you see the following list that was sent to me you'll see why we are where we are

I had a list sent to me of players that were missing signification game and/or practice time. This is just stupid

The following players are missing significant game and/or practice time

*Brion Carnes OW - isn't practicing suffered pretty strong concussion probably shouldn't be playing*Charles Brown DB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *David Johnson RB - suffered hip flexor against NDSU in 3rd quarter...been about 50-60% since then*Xavier Williams DT - foot/ankle issues keeping him ineffective/out of consistant PT*Ray Mitchell DB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Phil Wright WR - out for season with foot injury*Tim Kilfoy DB/LB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Jamison Whiting DB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Jordan Gacke LB - whole body? Does that describe it?Max Busher LB - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Sam Tim LB/DL - don't know what injury is but is missing time *Mac O'Brien DT - out since start of season*Jake Farley LB - broken leg out for season*Ben Wallace OL - don't know what injury is but is out for season*Sam Rohr TE - dislocated elbow missed 3 weeks, first game back tears ACL done for season*Brett LeMaster WR - tears ACL in fall camp*Colin Albrecht DL - leads team in sacks,don't know what injury is but is missing timeEvan Williams RB - missed 4-5 games with some sort of injury
*Sawyer Kollmorgen QB - not practicing due to concussion suffered during NDSU game

I put a * by only those who play a lot/start......

I've never seen a team this banged up

That and I believe we are the first FCS (possibly college football team) to lose 3 straight games in OT with 2 in double OT. UNI, with all of their injuries, is still just a matter of 5 plays, or so, from being 7-1/8-0. ****...depressing

Got a lot of guys missing time but don't know why? Everyone is dinged up by this point in the season. I know injuries suck especially season enders like Farleys but I have to wonder about some of those other guys. This is the point during a season that separates the men from the boys so to speak.

tomq04
October 31st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Good point on NAU. I always think of MT, MSU and EWU but I always seem to forget NAU. It will be interesting to see how the entire Big Sky shakes out and how many teams they get into the playoffs. You gotta think 3-4 teams, right?

Dewey

I would love to see 3, which should be possible, 4? Even better and it would be the 4 teams mentioned above.

MTfan4life
October 31st, 2013, 08:21 AM

Dewey

At this point it's almost a guarantee that the Sky gets at least 3. Nothing more is guaranteed yet, but is still possible for a couple teams. NAU has two home games against Northern Colorado and North Dakota to finish with at least 8 division 1 wins and then a road game against new rival Southern Utah for that 9th win. They'd really have to mess things up to miss the playoffs this season. Montana State always seems to play its best football in either October or November (has won 36 of their last 46 October games.) So I don't see them stumbling out of the playoffs. Eastern possibly needs 3 wins to get in, so that will be a task but they should be able to handle that. Montana has three tough road games left and only 5 D1 wins, so it will be an uphill climb. Southern Utah needs to win out to get to 8 DI wins, and Sac. State needs to win out and have some dominoes fall to step into the conference title picture as they only have 1 conference loss. Crazier things have happened before. It looks like they'll get 3 right now, though.

clenz
October 31st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Got a lot of guys missing time but don't know why? Everyone is dinged up by this point in the season. I know injuries suck especially season enders like Farleys but I have to wonder about some of those other guys. This is the point during a season that separates the men from the boys so to speak.

I'm not going to go searching all over to figure out an injury on a college kid. I used to be that obsessed with 18-22 year olds...for all I know it's anything from a separated shoulder to pulled hammy to high ankle sprain. Any of those are going to keep guys out of practice and limit effectiveness in games.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

SoupCity85
October 31st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Great comment and good choice!!!! As a YSU fan, we've been waiting for this team to finally arrive. Well, they are about hit a gauntlet and will show everyone what kind of a team they really are. I'm excited, yet very hesitant on the outcome. I sure do hope/wish that they do something very special.

"Re: How good is __________?
How good is Youngstown State (7-1)?

They step into the meat-grinder this weekend with @USD, @ UNI, NDSU, & SDSU.
In the MVFC, they have beaten SIU (28-27), ISU-b (35-24), ISU-r (59-21), & WIU (24-14), a combined 12-21 record to date.
They beat Dayton, Morehead State, & Duquesne (2 Pioneer & 1 NEC) in OOC and lost to Michigan State 55-17.

The next two weeks will be telling whether the Nov. 16th game vs. NDSU is for the MVFC Championship or to just keep their playoff hopes alive. "

bodoyle
October 31st, 2013, 10:22 AM
"How good is Coastal Carolina?"

-Scores a ton but has given up a decent number of points
-Undefeated but quality of competition in conference/perceived lack of quality wins are a question
-Have played several different conference opponents (MEAC, SoCon, etc.)- how do they match up with top teams in "power" conferences.

Interested in what you all think on this, as we are (well, most of us anyway) more educated on the FCS compared to the average bear....which team or teams do you wonder the most about how really good they are this season, given results YTD? Take it whatever direction from there....

I think that's a fair question. I know it has been split with some CCU fans. Personally, I think CCU is a Top 10 team, but the difference in the CCU Defense between the 1st and 2nd halves is night a fricking day. If they could just play a full game like they do 2nd halves, they would be unbeatable. They're like the golfer who shoots 50-38. They need to hit the range before and get the bad shots out first!

SM/JSU
October 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
How good is Samford. Beat App State, Georgia Southern, Wofford. Are they legit

BEAR
October 31st, 2013, 11:17 AM
UNDER THE SHEETS!

(oh wait, this wasn't one of those "end the sentence with 'under the sheets' phrases? )

MTfan4life
October 31st, 2013, 11:46 AM
Bethune Cookman

It appears the OVC has a very good chance to end its playoff losing streak, will this also be the year the MEAC ends theirs? Yes, they haven't played the strongest schedule, but BCU's defense has been tremendous all season. They do have a win over Tennessee State. Florida State is the only team to have reached double digits against them before the fourth quarter. The two teams that have scored more than 9 on BCU arguably did so during garbage time. They have a balanced attack that could help them make noise with the right matchups come playoff time.

dewey
October 31st, 2013, 11:59 AM
Bethune Cookman

It appears the OVC has a very good chance to end its playoff losing streak, will this also be the year the MEAC ends theirs? Yes, they haven't played the strongest schedule, but BCU's defense has been tremendous all season. They do have a win over Tennessee State. Florida State is the only team to have reached double digits against them before the fourth quarter. The two teams that have scored more than 9 on BCU arguably did so during garbage time. They have a balanced attack that could help them make noise with the right matchups come playoff time.

Bethune Cooman is in the MEAC (Mid-eastern Atlantic Conference) not the Ohoi Valley Conference. However they have had a good year so far and have a FBS win over FIU and could finish the year at 11-1. Hard to say how good they are since they beat Deleware State 21-7 while NDSU beat DSU by a LOT more. I would say they are not seeded and and I am not sure how well they draw and if they could buy a first round home game.

Good team to wonder about though.

Dewey

NoDak 4 Ever
October 31st, 2013, 12:00 PM
Bethune Cooman is in the MEAC (Mid-eastern Atlantic Conference) not the Ohoi Valley Conference. However they have had a good year so far and have a FBS win over FIU and could finish the year at 11-1. Hard to say how good they are since they beat Deleware State 21-7 while NDSU beat DSU by a LOT more. I would say they are not seeded and and I am not sure how well they draw and if they could buy a first round home game.

Dewey

I'm pretty sure the opening sentence refers to Eastern Illinois.

HensRock
October 31st, 2013, 12:18 PM

A lot of Delaware fans are encouraged by the last 2 wins since the Massacre in Maine and are thinking playoffs. They see wins. They see we beat JMU. They see 6-2 record. They see our last game against URI where we won by 22 points.

But they forget that we looked completely lost at Maine. They forget that we barely squeaked past Albany on our Homecoming when we should have won by 3 TD's. They forget how bad we looked at times against URI despite the lopsided score. Around 8 PM on Saturday, they will remember and say to themselves, "Oh yeah, what the hell was I thinking???".

Maine beat us 62-28, and they actually LIKE us!

What Towson will do to Delaware, well... it's not going to be pretty.
Maine ALMOST handed us 2 losses with how we looked against Albany. I think Towson will hand us at least 2.
I predicted 6-6 after the Navy game, and I see no reason to change it.

To paraphrase Jim Mora, "Playoffs??? Playoffs??? Are you ki... Playoffs???"
xlolx

PAllen
October 31st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Remember, just "hanging on" is still a W.

That it is. I'd rather have a team just "hanging on" in every game all year (including the playoffs) than one that "plays tough" but loses.

msupokes1
October 31st, 2013, 01:32 PM
That it is. I'd rather have a team just "hanging on" in every game all year (including the playoffs) than one that "plays tough" but loses.

The one game he referred to McNeese as hanging on we won by 25 points. It really wasn't a close game. I think there was a hint of sarcasm in his post.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM
The one game he referred to McNeese as hanging on we won by 25 points. It really wasn't a close game. I think there was a hint of sarcasm in his post.

I think there was no sarcasm, he is just an MSU sandbagger.

Walkon79
October 31st, 2013, 05:56 PM
Montana State?

With McGhee or without?

Twentysix
October 31st, 2013, 06:28 PM
Montana State?

With McGhee or without?

With, they are a Quarterfinal team. Without, they aren't a playoff team.

aust42
October 31st, 2013, 06:55 PM
How good is Fordham?

I love them and think they're really good. But I'm biased. Everyone else here seems to just agree that they're a top 5 team but I'm not so sure? Like, I genuinely have no idea what would happen if Fordham played a good MVFC team that isn't NDSU. I think they're really good, but like, how can I be so sure? We are in the Patriot League...we beat Nova at home but that was week 2 so it was a different Nova team, Temple is 1A but kinda blow and well, we all know how everyone here feels about Lehigh...

I've noticed Fordham this year all undefeated and what not. You beat a good Nova team and Temple is Temple but you can only play whose on your schedule. Being undefeated at this point of the year is a great accomplishment no matter what. Good luck in the playoffs. I'll jump on your bandwagon if my Bluehens falter.

aust42
October 31st, 2013, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=HensRock;2039582]A lot of Delaware fans are encouraged by the last 2 wins since the Massacre in Maine and are thinking playoffs. They see wins. They see we beat JMU. They see 6-2 record. They see our last game against URI where we won by 22 points.

But they forget that we looked completely lost at Maine. They forget that we barely squeaked past Albany on our Homecoming when we should have won by 3 TD's. They forget how bad we looked at times against URI despite the lopsided score. Around 8 PM on Saturday, they will remember and say to themselves, "Oh yeah, what the hell was I thinking???".

Maine beat us 62-28, and they actually LIKE us!

What Towson will do to Delaware, well... it's not going to be pretty.
Maine ALMOST handed us 2 losses with how we looked against Albany. I think Towson will hand us at least 2.
I predicted 6-6 after the Navy game, and I see no reason to change it.

To paraphrase Jim Mora, "Playoffs??? Playoffs??? Are you ki... Playoffs???"

HensRock deep down inside I'm afraid your right but on any given Saturday it can happen and we are DELAWARE! I'll be at Towson to witness the big "upset"!

semobison
October 31st, 2013, 08:05 PM
EIU? Ranked #2 in the AP. They may have the Payton award winner playing QB. Played Northern Illinois tough, beat FBS San Diego State...But I just cant forget about Zenner running for 300 yards in last years 51-10 playoff loss at SDSU. In their only loss this year, Northern ran for 367 yards against the Panthers. Sure they can score but is their defense good enough for a deep playoff run. Then, the fact that the OVC hasn't won a playoff game since...well, who knows when?

EKU Toss Sweep
October 31st, 2013, 10:06 PM
EIU? Ranked #2 in the AP. They may have the Payton award winner playing QB. Played Northern Illinois tough, beat FBS San Diego State...But I just cant forget about Zenner running for 300 yards in last years 51-10 playoff loss at SDSU. In their only loss this year, Northern ran for 367 yards against the Panthers. Sure they can score but is their defense good enough for a deep playoff run. Then, the fact that the OVC hasn't won a playoff game since...well, who knows when?

EIU may be over-rated at #2, but they will give a much better showing in the playoffs this year. I hate to say it, but any EIU win in the playoffs this year will likely be discredited by the OVC bashers based on the expanded field. EIU can absolutely score. Defense will give up yards and points and the kicking game is shaky, but they will be tough to outscore unless they are shipped to play in miserable outdoor conditions.

Cocky
November 1st, 2013, 07:24 AM
Bethune Cookman

Tn St with their QB and All-World TE was beaten by BC. TSUs only other loss these two didn't play.

MTfan4life
November 1st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Tn St with their QB and All-World TE was beaten by BC. TSUs only other loss these two didn't play.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Michael German didn't play against either Bethune or Eastern Ill. Butler was the QB for both of those games. If you're referring to Leonard as the TE, he also played in both losses.

Humble Steward
November 1st, 2013, 09:25 AM

Dewey

Offensively, B-CU is only averaging about 30 points per game. However, defensively excluding the Florida State game, they are only giving up 9 points per game and are ranked 2nd in overall defense. In the past, they have hosted two playoff games and if they make the playoffs again, I'm sure they will bid to host again. This years team seems to be well balanced and is doing an excellent job with game time adjustments on defense. Still, you have to win the games and B-CU needs to win some playoff games. This weekend is a good time to check us out on ESPN News live at 12pm against North Carolina Central.

dewey
November 1st, 2013, 10:16 AM
Can I just say this was a great subject for a thread. There are a lot of teams that I am not too familiar with so hearing what fans think of their teams is good at expanding the FCS knowledge.

Dewey

steelbison
November 1st, 2013, 10:25 AM

Yes that is a LOT of injuries.

One thing I will say is I've never seen a QB take a pounding like yours did against NDSU he was crushed almost on every drop back. Why your coaching staff didn't chip with a TE or RB is beyond me. Our DE's were almost unblocked and hitting him hard every play...

cardiaccowboy
November 1st, 2013, 10:35 AM
The Nicholls game has always scared me. They have always played us tough no matter what the records were. I wasn't able to make the game this year but I was listening on the radio. From the beginning they moved the ball on us quite well. I hope our bend but don't break defense doesn't break in December.